Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

are there any good LPs of the original? someone who knows a lot about the game and doesn't do dumb voices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
barreling into the rear end end of this thread after reading almost nothing just to ask:

has anyone suggested this is the result of time compression

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Nothing implies our Characters had the power to change anything though. Like, I can understand if someone commented on being able to make a change. But so far there's no indications of such, and how would Cloud have thought to save Zack when even thinking of Zack causes his brain to immediately start hemorrhaging. He needed fuckin' Sephiroth to snap out of it at the Edge of Creation, which is "7 seconds before the world ends"

I'm not sure it would've even been a conscious decision to change those things is I guess what I'm saying. It could all just be a ripple effect as a result of removing the Whispers. Aerith even says that challenging fate would mean "changing ourselves"--it may be possible that changes occurred just rear end sort of butterfly effect.

I'm really just speculating but I could see it going either way with it being either a separate timeline or history having been changed in the characters' own timeline.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Lunatic Sledge posted:

barreling into the rear end end of this thread after reading almost nothing just to ask:

has anyone suggested this is the result of time compression

I am here to suggest the radical new theory that S=U

S being Sephiroth

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

CharlesThunder posted:

are there any good LPs of the original? someone who knows a lot about the game and doesn't do dumb voices

Elentor has an absolutely incredible screenshot LP of the original on Letsplayarchive that is probably one of the best LPs ever made.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

CharlesThunder posted:

i would also like this. been a long time since i played the original so theres a lot ive forgotten and i dont really feel like playing it again when im already behind on a bunch of other games, and also i like this version more. also i dont like screenshot lps

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I can't think of a single one of Barret's lines in the remake where he didn't kill it. That little pause before he says "Up Your rear end" at Shinra HQ had me dying.

his big "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?" had me thinking that it probably could have used another take but everything else ranged from perfectly fine to actually quite good

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
My friend and I had been streaming through the original in preparation for the remake (though we didn't finish in time), doing it as a radio drama, with all sorts of obnoxious voices for the characters, including, but not limited to:

Rick Sanchez as Cid and Morty as Shera
Seto Kaiba as Rufus Shinra
Some sort of bear-man as Heidegger
The members of Team Rocket as The Turks
Scooby Doo as Red XIII
Scratch and Grounder from The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog for anytime there's two nameless mooks (which somehow predicted Beck's gang)
Uncle Iroh as Bugenhagen, which unfortunately devolves into Senor Cardgage
An incredibly annoying Aerith Aeris Alice voice that somehow became iconic for us

Some choice moments include Baby Cloud foiling Sephiroth's plans via bodyblocking:
https://www.twitch.tv/avengerstar/clip/PatientRespectfulEyeballDoubleRainbow
And Sephiroth tossing De-Ath before zippin' on outta there:
https://www.twitch.tv/avengerstar/clip/TacitShinyCrabRuleFive

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 20, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Elentor has an absolutely incredible screenshot LP of the original on Letsplayarchive that is probably one of the best LPs ever made.

Seconding this, it's one of the absolute greats in the LP field.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Ms Adequate posted:

Seconding this, it's one of the absolute greats in the LP field.

Here’s a link for those interested:

https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-VII/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Marking my place in this thread by saying that the correct ship is indeed Aeifa (pronounced like the Celtic name Aoife)

I have basically spoiled myself for the ending details but I just started Chapter 18 and have yet to see them for myself (17 was longer than I expected and I was planning on finishing tonight but it looks like one more session).

Edit: also going backward in this thread and

Funky Valentine posted:

Rufus's actual characterization is that he's secretly much smarter than basically everyone else involved with Shinra.

It would actually be kind of amazing if they do expand the party roster and have Rufus join the squad because how can he make dosh if Sephiroth destroys the world?

I fully support this, that boss fight was sick, coins and akimbo guns is a good action RPG moveset. Just delete Vincent I guess

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 20, 2020

textbookOrigins
May 29, 2013

This will end well.

So no one really cared when Cait Sith took the Black Materia from the Temple of the Ancients and got crushed, right? Because it wasn't until a later interview that explained Reeve wasn't always at the helm piloting, and that Cait Sith was an AI; sure, we got a replacement Cait Sith, but who knows when he was last backed up. Or forked, or whatever. Seemed the same to us, but --

But what about Chadley? Does/can he have back-ups? A goofy lookin' cat, property of Shinra, Inc., might not evoke sympathy so easily. But I already love kid Chadley to bits. Please stay safe and friendly, NPC boy. :(

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
This time Chadley will die in the Temple of the Ancients.

And/or Chadley is Cait Sith.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
tbh if rufus's role changes/expands at all, I'd expect him to become a more important antagonist rather than a player character; it's plausible people other than sephiroth and the party will get a whiff of time shenanigans, and want to exploit that to their own advantage

that dude (or another of the villains, but he'd be suspect one in my book) screwing up the stuff the party and sephiroth are trying to pull more successfully this time around would be kind of an interesting turn

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Tifa isn't actually very codependent with Cloud. She makes her decisions, the trusts herself to fight when she chooses to and doesn't have an obsessive need for Cloud's approval. Nor does she take responsibility for his actions or anything like that.

Tifa is traumatised by an event in her past that her mind doesn't want to get close to, like how my hand doesn't want to go near a hot stove and for much the same reason - even being close to something that hurts that much is uncomfortable.

And then, when Cloud does open up about it, here's the thing - he does know details that could only be known by someone who was there. So it's not that she knows he's wrong, even, but she's uncertain about what's going on and that, coupled with her trauma, makes her want to stay away from it.

When she reaches the crux of things in the lifestream and she does decide to discuss it with him, that's why she's able to readily accept the explanation for why he was there - it aligned the pieces in her brain and made her feel less alone in her trauma, which helps her confront it herself.

Whether them getting together after that is positive or not. I think it is, but only because at that point they have both self actualised, so when they come together, beneath the benevolent gaze of the entire rest of the party and the Highwind, it's not as people who need each other to be complete, it's as people who want to express their love and live as more honest reflections of themselves.

Onmi posted:

Most of the people I know who never played the original are left asking the same questions someone who played the original and just finished Midgar would ask if they weren't spoiled. "What's up with Sephiroth, oh wow I didn't think the story would involve all this, I thought it was just about Shinra and this one city."

This is amazing and is, I think, exactly what they wanted to capture for new and old players alike.

Someone in the thread (I think it was this one) said that they should have had the ending be more of a dungeon with characters actually deciding do they want to defy fate and discussing what that means. I think that's exactly right, and they should have cut Hojo's fun time dungeon for it and gone with party is captured, wakes up to follow an ominous trail and finds ShinRa dead. You can still have the Jenova battle - just have Sephiroth appear after the feeling of shock has had time to settle on the player.

Gotta effort post about the difference between Jenova's messing with Cloud throughout the game and what I take to be there real Sephiroth at the edge of creation sometime and what I think they're going for.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I pretty easily understood the original story of FF7 despite being an idiot 12-year old, as did many others in the room, so I don't think millions of people are just going to be completely baffled by a couple fate ghosts. It's a Square-Enix JRPG, we're all expecting some total nonsense, it's fine. It's fine.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
No one playing the game as a fresh experience is screaming "incomprehensible" any more than hypernerd aficionados of the original.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

There was definitely bits of confusion in the fandom back in the day and I only got online and started talking with people about this kinda thing in 2003 so I was a bit late to the party.

People thought Vincent was a vampire.
People thought Sephiroth was an Ancient
People thought Cloud was actually something Hojo made in a lab.

These were the big misconceptions I remember encountering a fair bit. I even bought into them at one point, I think. It's been a long time.

I know I was an adamant supporter of the idea Jenova controlled Sephiroth for many, many years. This I'm not sure if it should be categorized as misunderstanding or just....I dunno.

I should mention that none of this is really unusual. There were all sorts of misunderstandings in the FF community. People who thought Sorceresses in FFVIII were immortal which led to R=U. Or thinking that Sin was gone for ten years in FFX. Or we missed that Vivi was dead at the end of FFIX. That one never crossed my mind until long, long after I first beat the game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
you can also understand what something is "going for" or the broad strokes of what it means and still think it is extremely confusing/weird/dumb

like final fantasy 13 is thematically coherent and I can tell you what happens in it, but that doesn't make the details good or mean they connected every dot

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I liked how in the space of a few hours I went from getting my rear end kicked by a pack of dogs to fighting an interdimensional personification of the concept of fate at the edge of creation.

Tifa was right, we really could have done better on that dog fight.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

NikkolasKing posted:

People thought Vincent was a vampire.
In fairness, Vincent is basically a vampire.

Also a werewolf. And a Frankenstein. And Jason Voorhees.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CarlCX posted:

I beat this tonight, and I have some real fuckin' mixed feelings about the direction it all went and the justifications for doing so, but mostly I'm really, really curious if anyone who played this with no context for the original FF7 would give a poo poo about any of it?

Like, the vast majority of the narrative space in the game is spent establishing the actual characters and Shinra and Midgar and their plot struggles, and then basically all of that gets completely turfed in favor of Plot Ghosts, and they never really explain anything about them in the same way, they're really only emotionally or narratively resonant if you're familiar enough with the original game to know about the things they're portending, so if you don't have that operative knowledge, is the entire point of the game basically just one continuous "wait, what" that just abruptly ends?

Yeah I had no idea what was going on until someone did a type up in this thread for me. I just know a few things from Original FF7
*The Party Members
*Aerith dies (I thought it was Tifa for a good while)
*Jenova is a alien
*Sephiroth thinks he's a alien
*Some music tracks
*Avalanche team dies (I only knew because when the demo came out people wouldn't stop talking about how sad they'll be when Jessie dies)
*Palmer is a boss fight later and he has a silly raygun and gets hit by a truck
*Cloud is a unreliable narrator and Zack dies for him
*Omnislash

I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting that I remember but that's about all I knew going in

- When the plate fell it wasn't so surreal to see Cait Sith come running out as I was just 'oh thats Cait!' and that's about it, I just know he's a party member. I had no idea Reeve controlled him until this thread mentioned it
- I was wondering why Reeve wasn't fired for caring about people
- I figured that there was some timeline stuff going on with the flashes like the rock falling into the water, so even if I didn't 'get' it I still understood that it was pretty important from the OG game.
- The entire ending was lost on me until someone in this thread did a type up about the OG game. I thought it was cool but 'wait you're not supposed to fight sephiroth, I remember a video I watched talking about how you just follow his trail of destruction for a long time and he kills a snake. Also did he absorb Meteor?? This *has* to be new.'
- I got spoiled that the ghosts were timeline related and it might be a sequel before launch (literally just someone asking if it was a sequel due to time ghosts) so I had that kind of coloring me. "Oh I don't get this, it might be timeline related if that thing is true?"

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

When you go into the Shinra men's room and Barret is annoyed that it's empty as he'd

Is he saying he wants to intimidate the Shinra execs with his big dick?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I...thought he meant it's a pretty bathroom and the slums bathrooms aren't nearly as fancy, but who knows

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The only controversy I recall from the original ff7 was if cloud and tifa hosed. I got into irl arguments with my high school gaming friends over that.

At times like this I wish a number of old forums like gamefaqs and the IGNboards still had records going back to 1997.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

When you go into the Shinra men's room and Barret is annoyed that it's empty as he'd

Is he saying he wants to intimidate the Shinra execs with his big dick?

:actually: While my boy Barret has the approximate dimensions of a mid-sized utility vehicle and probably boasts a snake about as big as a french baguette on a cold day, I believe he is talking about bathrooms in this bit here.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Freakazoid_ posted:

The only controversy I recall from the original ff7 was if cloud and tifa hosed. I got into irl arguments with my high school gaming friends over that.

At times like this I wish a number of old forums like gamefaqs and the IGNboards still had records going back to 1997.

Cloud and Tifa absolutely hosed at the end of disc two.
She says "words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel." Fade to black. They wake up together the next day. Tifa is embarrassed at the idea that they might've been seen. They deffo banged.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Beefstew posted:

Cloud and Tifa absolutely hosed at the end of disc two.
She says "words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel." Fade to black. They wake up together the next day. Tifa is embarrassed at the idea that they might've been seen. They deffo banged.

You only get that dialogue if you did the Tifa date

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

I...thought he meant it's a pretty bathroom and the slums bathrooms aren't nearly as fancy, but who knows

oh.. uh yeah, that actually makes a lot more sense

I think the intense horniness of the game is rubbing off on me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Veib posted:

You only get that dialogue if you did the Tifa date

Nope, only requirement is that it be 50+ affection

a friendly person
Feb 20, 2019
I hope that Im not the only one who prays the remake takes a page out of Persona 5’s book and has you bang all of your teammates in order to increase your affinity with them. A 3-way with Tifa and Aerith, though sacrilege, is something many boys have dreamt about since 1997.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

my theory is that the ghosts are ffvii fanboys - they had to slaughter every single one in order to change the story a little bit

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Before the end of this remake saga, someone is gonna call Barret a DILF. The question is who? My money's on someone at the Golden Saucer or possibly Bugenhagen.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah I had no idea what was going on until someone did a type up in this thread for me. I just know a few things from Original FF7
*The Party Members
*Aerith dies (I thought it was Tifa for a good while)
*Jenova is a alien
*Sephiroth thinks he's a alien
*Some music tracks
*Avalanche team dies (I only knew because when the demo came out people wouldn't stop talking about how sad they'll be when Jessie dies)
*Palmer is a boss fight later and he has a silly raygun and gets hit by a truck
*Cloud is a unreliable narrator and Zack dies for him
*Omnislash

I'm sure there's other things I'm forgetting that I remember but that's about all I knew going in

- When the plate fell it wasn't so surreal to see Cait Sith come running out as I was just 'oh thats Cait!' and that's about it, I just know he's a party member. I had no idea Reeve controlled him until this thread mentioned it
- I was wondering why Reeve wasn't fired for caring about people
- I figured that there was some timeline stuff going on with the flashes like the rock falling into the water, so even if I didn't 'get' it I still understood that it was pretty important from the OG game.
- The entire ending was lost on me until someone in this thread did a type up about the OG game. I thought it was cool but 'wait you're not supposed to fight sephiroth, I remember a video I watched talking about how you just follow his trail of destruction for a long time and he kills a snake. Also did he absorb Meteor?? This *has* to be new.'
- I got spoiled that the ghosts were timeline related and it might be a sequel before launch (literally just someone asking if it was a sequel due to time ghosts) so I had that kind of coloring me. "Oh I don't get this, it might be timeline related if that thing is true?"

what a weird way to try to experience a story. just play the original game dude

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's okay to ask some questions instead of "just" spending 40 hours to beat the original.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Crowetron posted:

Before the end of this remake saga, someone is gonna call Barret a DILF. The question is who? My money's on someone at the Golden Saucer or possibly Bugenhagen.

They'd better keep in Cloud's line about Sailor Barret looking like a bear wearing a marshmallow.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The Dave posted:

It's okay to ask some questions instead of "just" spending 40 hours to beat the original.

thats not even what theyre doing though. they're just reading random plot moments out of context and trying to piece it together

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Onmi posted:

- Because of that, Aerith isn't captured by the Turks and taken to Shinra Tower.

Of course she is. If anything its even easier since Cloud is not present in the church to foil their dastardly plot.

-And since no one else in Avalanche knows who she is, there is no rescue
-Game over

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Proteus Jones posted:

Of course she is. If anything its even easier since Cloud is not present in the church to foil their dastardly plot.

-And since no one else in Avalanche knows who she is, there is no rescue
-Game over

Aerith is captured by the Turks because she was trying to save Marlene, as is made clear in this game, the Turks cannot take Aerith without her permission, which is why Rude/Reno etc. are trying to just keep her safe, and Tseng doesn't just grab and force her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Onmi posted:

and Tseng doesn't just grab and force her.

I mean... the plate was going to come down and I doubt they were going to let her die because of some "she has to come willingly rule"