Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Counterpoint: Necromunda is incredible and well supported.

I mean, sure, if you bring every single book to every single game that is a hassle but why on earth would you do that? It is a gang almost totally predicated about tell stories about outrageous things happening to unlucky gangers and the books are all oozing with flavor.

Balance could be better in some places but as long as all the players are on the same page things work. If one of your opponents is just building the hardest Van Saar list with extremely optimal equipment, I am going to be charitable and say they may be a little too competitive to be a fun opponent. If they same player would bring an all Sling Skaven Mordheim band maybe they are a piece of poo poo.

No GW game is more able to tell fun engaging stories with loads of different interesting missions, and that matters more to me than balance. At the end of the day, not everyone is going to like every game so maybe Necromunda isn't for you. And that is OK.

Agreeeeeeeeeeeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’m only in it to paint little men really, but I play with laid back people and the ten or so NM games I’ve played have all been great fun. As noted, the state of the rulebooks at the moment means a rules lawyer will kill your interest within ten minutes of your first game. I don’t keep up or care about the rules at all, and just trust my buddies not to take the piss.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
The best concept ever to come out of GW rules was Andy Chambers' "if you have a conflict, roll 1d6 and one person gets their interpretation on 1-3 and the other 4-6." It's streamlined so many games but it drives people who are there to win up the wall because they have their lists all figured out and the rules that benefit them memorized.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

The best concept ever to come out of GW rules was Andy Chambers
ftfy.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

The best concept ever to come out of GW rules was Andy Chambers' "if you have a conflict, roll 1d6 and one person gets their interpretation on 1-3 and the other 4-6." It's streamlined so many games but it drives people who are there to win up the wall because they have their lists all figured out and the rules that benefit them memorized.

I dunno, I'm just partial to rules that are clear and don't have that much wiggle room.

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Where are rules for BB teams kept?

Did snotling rules already exist but they didn’t have models?

Or are team rules packaged with the kit of models?

TURGID TOMFOOLERY
Nov 1, 2019

Do the Necromunda gang boxes have sufficient options for alternate equipment load outs?

Like the Cawdor box set; the sprues kind of seems like there aren’t options for weapons, the dudes just are what the are.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

TURGID TOMFOOLERY posted:

Do the Necromunda gang boxes have sufficient options for alternate equipment load outs?

Like the Cawdor box set; the sprues kind of seems like there aren’t options for weapons, the dudes just are what the are.

You get some but not all options. Like the Escher box doesn't come with a heavy stubber, chainsword or a plasma gun, even though you can buy them when you start a gang. For that you need to buy forgeworld resin weapon sets or convert from otther 40K bits. But you still get lots more weapons than you need for ten minis, so you can customize your starting gang.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Yeah, the recommended Escher starting gang needs 7 lasguns or something, I don’t think the starting box and a blister pack could even get you so many. If you’re going down the rabbit hole, Forge World have three different weapon packs for Eschers at least, and packs of different heads too. Standard modelling glue will not work on resin, either. Thoroughly wash and dry the resin, and use superglue (or whatever your local equivalent is).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Torquemada posted:

Yeah, the recommended Escher starting gang needs 7 lasguns or something
May as well wear a shirt that says COWARD across the front.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

May as well wear a shirt that says COWARD across the front.

You can still cram in six lasguns from one box, and then you don't need to model on the lasgun if they carry other stuff as well. So you get plenty enough IMHO, the lack of heavy guns is more of a bummer but that's more from a rule of cool perspective than for making an optimal load-out.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The cawdor box doesn't come with a long rifle which is a bit of a bummer since it's such a useful weapon for your BS 3+ Champions.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Gorefiend posted:

I dunno, I'm just partial to rules that are clear and don't have that much wiggle room.

Same.

As I had to run campaigns at my FLGS, I also ran into various balance issues, like "does the dominion discount to poison weapons applies to combi needlers," "do cards that just remove two troopers at the start of the battle seem op" and "how much fun are we having with all those psychic familiars" and "how about overwatch heavy stubbers."

You folks are acting like it's the typos and terrible balance that make Necro fun - and not the fact that you have rules for friendly fire, falling off ledges and grenades going on their little adventures.

gently caress, Infinity is tightly written and still loads of fun dumb poo poo happen - no need for sloppy rules with OP abilities (Overseer), skill trees that have 5 useless skills and one good one (Brawn or Ferocity, I forget) useless stats (Leadership) and supplement treadmill that produces even more broken gear combos when the previous ones hadn't been addressed yet.

I already paid money and painted the miniatures, I shouldn't have to be fighting the rulebook! Looking at you too, Chain of Command!

And yes, we had a mix of competitive players, ranging from relative benign "no Helot will ever see a doctor as it's cheaper to buy new ones" to "quit the campaign because I had to houserule things."

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

JcDent posted:

Same.

As I had to run campaigns at my FLGS, I also ran into various balance issues, like "does the dominion discount to poison weapons applies to combi needlers," "do cards that just remove two troopers at the start of the battle seem op" and "how much fun are we having with all those psychic familiars" and "how about overwatch heavy stubbers."

You folks are acting like it's the typos and terrible balance that make Necro fun - and not the fact that you have rules for friendly fire, falling off ledges and grenades going on their little adventures.

gently caress, Infinity is tightly written and still loads of fun dumb poo poo happen - no need for sloppy rules with OP abilities (Overseer), skill trees that have 5 useless skills and one good one (Brawn or Ferocity, I forget) useless stats (Leadership) and supplement treadmill that produces even more broken gear combos when the previous ones hadn't been addressed yet.

I already paid money and painted the miniatures, I shouldn't have to be fighting the rulebook! Looking at you too, Chain of Command!

And yes, we had a mix of competitive players, ranging from relative benign "no Helot will ever see a doctor as it's cheaper to buy new ones" to "quit the campaign because I had to houserule things."

It's been my experience that GW games in general require a fair amount of trust between players, which means "fun" campaigns like Kill Team campaigns and Necromunda were not fun with randos, IME. Campaigns with old friends who see dumb OP stuff like to call it out, we discuss counter plays, and work with each other for a better experience among ourselves.

No gaming is better than bad gaming, and you should play what and with who you want. :)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

The Cawdor and Delaque boxes are two of the worst for variety, but just building the coolest looking models is a smart move. Playing to win hard is a Fools errand.

I had to buy both Delaware weapon packs to get the starting gang, but Escher and Goliath both had a pretty good variety in them.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009
I'd much rather have book creep that is actually adding really good content even if the balance is rough to the alternative of no support.

Look at poor kill team beyond some early release cycle hype it's hardly gotten any support and some factions are more or less broken even in the annual.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Just wanted to check here since I read the Titanicus Errata on Acastus Knight and I don't fully understand it :D . I have a few I can no longer fit in my big Titan list due to the points increase, so wanted to check how I could put together a Knights only list with them along with a few extra baby knight purchases.

Can I run this at 1500pts -

Lance A
Banner 1 - Acastus Porph
Banner 2 - Acastus Porph
Banner 3 - Questoris with guns

Lance B
3 banners of 2 Cerastus Lancers

Lance C
3 x 3 Questoris with guns and melee.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

Harkano posted:

Just wanted to check here since I read the Titanicus Errata on Acastus Knight and I don't fully understand it :D . I have a few I can no longer fit in my big Titan list due to the points increase, so wanted to check how I could put together a Knights only list with them along with a few extra baby knight purchases.

Lance A
Banner 1 - Acastus Porph
Banner 2 - Acastus Porph

Lance B

Lance C

Acastus Knights, having the Auxiliary Knight Banner special rule can't be a part of the Lance and the text reads "No Knight Banner within a Lance may be an Auxiliary Knight Banner."

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Harkano posted:

Lance A
Banner 1 - Acastus Porph
Banner 2 - Acastus Porph

Lance B

Lance C

In short, no. Acastus can't be part of a Lance any longer, so you'd need to fill out the Lance with Cerastus and Questoris knights. Then, for each complete Lance you have, you can have 1 supporting banner of Acastus knights. Each Acastus banner is now limited to 2 Acastus (rather than 4) and they increased the points cost of each one.

So the most you can reasonably fit at 1500 would be two Acastus. Two Lances, each with three banners of three Questoris with a melee weapon and a gun each, and then two support Acastus in separate banners. You could maybe squeeze a third Acastus into one of those banners by going double melee or melee/avenger on some of the Questoris, but I think you're much better off not doing that and instead adding more knights to the list instead and running some Lancers over all Questoris.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Acastus Knights, having the Auxiliary Knight Banner special rule can't be a part of the Lance and the text reads "No Knight Banner within a Lance may be an Auxiliary Knight Banner."

The Gate posted:

In short, no. Acastus can't be part of a Lance any longer, so you'd need to fill out the Lance with Cerastus and Questoris knights. Then, for each complete Lance you have, you can have 1 supporting banner of Acastus knights. Each Acastus banner is now limited to 2 Acastus (rather than 4) and they increased the points cost of each one.

So the most you can reasonably fit at 1500 would be two Acastus. Two Lances, each with three banners of three Questoris with a melee weapon and a gun each, and then two support Acastus in separate banners. You could maybe squeeze a third Acastus into one of those banners by going double melee or melee/avenger on some of the Questoris, but I think you're much better off not doing that and instead adding more knights to the list instead and running some Lancers over all Questoris.

Thanks I definitely was getting that nerf vibe, I guess people were taking too many! So theoretically I could have -

Lance A - 3x 2 Cerastus
Lance B - 3x 3 Questoris

And either -
Aux Banner - 2 Acastus
or
2 Aux Banners of 1 Acastus each (more expensive because 2 Scions)
And then I could bump up the points by adding 4th Knights to any of the Questoris banners, or a Freeblade support Banner of Questoris if I go for the single Acastus Banner (since it's one Aux Banner per Lance?).

Sorry for the stupid questions but Battlescribe doesn't seem to support Knight armies.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

JcDent posted:

Same.

I completely get where you're coming from. I don't by any means think the awful balance, trap choices etc should be kept, I think a halfway competent revision and balance pass of that sort of thing, while keeping the core rules, would be very good.

Ultimately I guess it just didn't stop my group enjoying it. COVID did though! To some extent I feel I enjoy it more after I just stopped worrying about that sort of thing. Yeah, Van Saar and Corpse Grinders can both be built to crush 90% of gangs in the game, or X option is always better than Y or what have you. But actually that mostly existed in theory as potential problems, they've not often come up in our games and it's easily discussed and resolved at the time.

Sounds like your group is not really the right one for Necromunda. I'm not saying that as a defense of the shoddy rules, I agree they should be better written and then maybe your group wouldn't develop those issues. Necromunda is a very fun game but it's not fit for rigorous competition.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't even play Blood Bowl and I'm tempted to buy those snotlings; I've been hoarding a handful of them from the old snotling mobs to use as flair on Ork projects.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I love blood bowl because its the only game i know where if someone asks if the game is balanced you can say ," NO! These guys suck really bad, its great!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hihohe posted:

I love blood bowl because its the only game i know where if someone asks if the game is balanced you can say ," NO! These guys suck really bad, its great!
:hmmyes:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hihohe posted:

While also being one of the few GW games that is completely free of ambiguity or grey area. Team balance aside (which as you note is deliberate), it’s a very balanced game, to everyone’s benefit.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ineptmule posted:

While also being one of the few GW games that is completely free of ambiguity or grey area. Team balance aside (which as you note is deliberate), it’s a very balanced game, to everyone’s benefit.

Also bad teams get to do stuff even if they're bad at the formal "winning games" bit. Fouling, secret weapons, using big guys to throw your own dudes around going for a hail mary score, all stuff you can do that's a great fun part of the game even if your team is poo poo. It's also much cheaper in both time/money to own a side team that you roll out for funny shenanigans and put away again if it gets tiresome. It's not the same as like 40k where if you turn up with a bad army against a good one you've a) probably spent hundreds of dollars and spent 10s or 100s of hours' worth of time building and painting it and then b) spend most of the game sitting around rolling armour saves while removing your guys and not getting to do anything cool.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Apr 21, 2020

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Bloodbowl looks like a random mess from the outside, but player skill is a huge part of it. Back when I played FUMBBL I really got to experience it in a way you don't get with the tabletop game.

Even a moderately active boardgamer might still just play a dozen games per year, while you got that easily in a week on FUMBBL. And that's when you start to see the patterns that differentiates skill (mostly in knowing when to take what chances) from just "crazy things happens and I guess I rolled badly".

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Agreed to both previous posts.

And it’s not like it’s impossible to win with the crap teams. It takes a bit of luck and a lot of skill but when a player does well with them it’s something the whole community celebrates.

One of my friends won a pretty competitive London tournament this year with Halflings. Absolutely smashed it. Nuffle was with him, sure, but skill played a huge part of it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
X-posting from the painting thread.

Painted up some mini-knights

Some AI Thunderbolts from last year

And a Hasslefree pilot for the planes

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Harkano posted:

Thanks I definitely was getting that nerf vibe, I guess people were taking too many! So theoretically I could have -

Lance A - 3x 2 Cerastus
Lance B - 3x 3 Questoris

And either -
Aux Banner - 2 Acastus
or
2 Aux Banners of 1 Acastus each (more expensive because 2 Scions)
And then I could bump up the points by adding 4th Knights to any of the Questoris banners, or a Freeblade support Banner of Questoris if I go for the single Acastus Banner (since it's one Aux Banner per Lance?).

Sorry for the stupid questions but Battlescribe doesn't seem to support Knight armies.

It's not just that people were taking too many, it's that they were completely broken. Honestly, the best guess anyone has as to what happened with them is that they gave the job to someone who really didn't understand the rules of the game. For ~100 points you got a unit that had firepower at least on par with a Reaver. It's armor value is high enough that it's immune to crits (which insta kill a Knight) except from a handful of the strongest weapons. It's got more range than most Titan weapons on its guns, and can move in any direction while having 360° line of sight. You could take any number of them, in units of one, so you could cram in a staggering number of activations and end up always moving your largest units last. The thing reads like a bad Reddit homebrew unit, frankly, and almost every player looked at them and went 'wtf?'

And after nearly doubling the points and sharply limiting their numbers, they're still incredibly strong.

I think saving some points at 1500 by putting both in one banner is the way to go and then filling out some of the other banners with extra bodies. More knights means you keep the improved shield saves longer and are more threatening after losses.

Also it's not made super clear, but Knight Households can take single support Titans. No Maniples (and so no Princeps Seniores traits) are allowed, but you can take a bunch of Titans, with Legio traits as normal, alobgside a bunch of knights. At 1500 you might have a hard time getting them in with Acastus, but as you go higher I'd definitely look at taking a Titan or two.

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

The Gate posted:

It's not just that people were taking too many, it's that they were completely broken. Honestly, the best guess anyone has as to what happened with them is that they gave the job to someone who really didn't understand the rules of the game. For ~100 points you got a unit that had firepower at least on par with a Reaver. It's armor value is high enough that it's immune to crits (which insta kill a Knight) except from a handful of the strongest weapons. It's got more range than most Titan weapons on its guns, and can move in any direction while having 360° line of sight. You could take any number of them, in units of one, so you could cram in a staggering number of activations and end up always moving your largest units last. The thing reads like a bad Reddit homebrew unit, frankly, and almost every player looked at them and went 'wtf?'

And after nearly doubling the points and sharply limiting their numbers, they're still incredibly strong.

I think saving some points at 1500 by putting both in one banner is the way to go and then filling out some of the other banners with extra bodies. More knights means you keep the improved shield saves longer and are more threatening after losses.

Also it's not made super clear, but Knight Households can take single support Titans. No Maniples (and so no Princeps Seniores traits) are allowed, but you can take a bunch of Titans, with Legio traits as normal, alobgside a bunch of knights. At 1500 you might have a hard time getting them in with Acastus, but as you go higher I'd definitely look at taking a Titan or two.

Thanks. I had a great time painting these guys, so figured I'd just paint all the other Knights I had from the GM starter/Knight box etc.

Just wanted to make sure a I had a theoretical legal loadout before arms went on all the wee guys.

My 'proper' list is an Axiom Maniple w/ Warlord, Reaver, Warhound, Warhound. Then originally I had a few Acastus as backup, but now they're way too pricey I swapped in some Lancers.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, I think Lancers are a good add, they really demand a quick answer or they can wreck anything on the charge.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is the Blackstone Fortress game a good game-qua-game? Or is it more-or-less just a way of adding cost to the box you're buying for the (admittedly very nice) minis?

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Also I should post my WIP Titan with printed little Death Guard base and other bits.

I'm thinking of adding a secondary colour to the hull with the Wraithbane and the orange, probably painting around the chipping, any suggestions for something that goes with the scheme (and goes nice with the nice loyal Death Guard green Knight house!)? It might just be Death Guard green....

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

drat all those nice titan pics almost makes me want to pick up a third specialist game. :O

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Z the IVth posted:

X-posting from the painting thread.

Painted up some mini-knights

Some AI Thunderbolts from last year

And a Hasslefree pilot for the planes

Holy poo poo dude. These are sick. That jacket detailing :O

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Getting caught up on some Titanicus!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That all looks excellent! I love the assault marines on the base, they really sell the magnitude of the thing.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Ungn why can’t I get SoH Green to go that bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Where are the Epic models from? I am so desperate to play some Epic again preferably in the Horus Heresy setting!!