Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is actually pretty insidious in how it transforms capital's desire to see people return to work in order to die into liberation. I almost expect to post about how work makes one free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

KKKLIP ART posted:

How do you even have a negative price on oil?

You pay someone to take it off your hands.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Al-Saqr posted:

Trump is going to win all 50 states and it’s all thanks to the DNC. Get ready for Reagan 84.

No, it's going to be because of people like you who are going to fall for Russian propaganda aimed at Bernie bros.

They WANT Trump to win, not Biden.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KKKLIP ART posted:

How do you even have a negative price on oil?

The person who has the oil pays someone else to take it from them.

They might do this because storing oil is relatively difficult, surprisingly expensive, and there aren't a lot of places that can do it with spare capacity right now.

Can't wait for lots of "accidental" but very profitable oil spills.

SocketWrench posted:

The moment it costs more to extract it than it sells for

No, that happens semi-regularly when the price of oil crashes (say, because the Saudi government wanted to knock the market out from under other producers - a small loss for them is apocalyptic for most other oil companies). People still keep extracting oil, because a small loss that covers most of their fixed expenses is better for them than a big one. Oil is a very capital-intensive business and they've all got huge loans to pay.

Truly negative oil prices as something other than a tiny, instantly-corrected glitch would be new territory.

Willo567 posted:

No, it's going to be because of people like you who are going to fall for Russian propaganda aimed at Bernie bros.

That's not Russian propaganda, it's just Trump propaganda.

Falling for it is still dumb.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Russia doesn't need to interfere with our process in order for Trump to win. Look at that ad and tell me it's not going to sink Biden.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Herewaard posted:

That sign is more likely referencing the more general protestant idea that work gives your life meaning. It comes across as true to a lot of people in america because we have be so indoctrinated in the idea that you identify with with your job or occupation is. A lot of people do get diagnosed with depression after they lose their job or are forced to retire.

It's a logical endpoint of a totally hosed up capitalist system. It's a proper diagnosis of a problem, but the solution isn't forcing people to work or to work dangerous jobs, it's giving people other options to obtain fulfillment and feel their life has meaning.

I don't think she or her family are smart enough to write that as a "Are there no workhouses?!"

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Willo567 posted:

Lol sure thing buddy it’s russia that’s making Biden look bad and say bad things.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The fresh air meme comes from a FB post about how soldiers in WW2 fared better in fresh air than the medical tents. Which...no poo poo given a medical tent would have stagnant air shared with a bunch of other guys and their pathogens. Although it is likely a wholly made-up Facebook meme, it’s not like our hospitals are tending to patients in tents.

...yet :smith:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Russia doesn't need to interfere with our process in order for Trump to win. Look at that ad and tell me it's not going to sink Biden.

That ad is not going to sink Biden. He's a bad candidate, but it's also a bad ad that's obviously not designed to go anywhere but on Twitter.

It's designed to appeal to you, and a sense of ironic nothing-matters-ism, just like stock footage of flags and bald eagles appeals to boomers. You're falling for it.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Yeah dude, people are just going to forget the last three years because of an ad.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Pants Donkey posted:

The fresh air meme comes from a FB post about how soldiers in WW2 fared better in fresh air than the medical tents. Which...no poo poo given a medical tent would have stagnant air shared with a bunch of other guys and their pathogens. Although it is likely a wholly made-up Facebook meme, it’s not like our hospitals are tending to patients in tents.

...yet :smith:

Yet? I'm almost certain we have. Coronavirus tents shows a lot of pics and info about tents being used for makeshift hospital rooms

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SocketWrench posted:

Yet? I'm almost certain we have. Coronavirus tents shows a lot of pics and info about tents being used for makeshift hospital rooms

There's a tent hospital in Central Park right now. It was set up by Franklin Graham, who tried to make all the staff sign affirmations of faith (and turned away gay applicants). I don't know its current status but the city government was not happy about that.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Why blame the dnc when the problem is actually the democratic primary voters?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

SocketWrench posted:

Check the dates on these tweets. That ship sailed weeks ago, at least in NYC:

https://twitter.com/Craig_A_Spencer/status/1245911306487713792

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Yeah the bad photoshops z-tier memes will really resonate with voters during a pandemic caused by the Prez yup

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1252237253260111875?s=21

It’s crazy that LA still had this law in effect to begin with

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Pictures like these make me wish I could paint from life well. There is something about her doubled over and breathlessly screaming in a relatively calm surrounding. It belongs in a museum.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So does that mean everyone convicted of a crime without a unanimous jury gets a mistrial or what? That's a huge deal.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252235263327125506

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Just a reminder that any "digital" ad that is posted on Twitter/FB is going specifically to people that were already going to vote for Trump. The goal is to keep them incensed into voting. The moderate republicans, and some-how-I-breathe undecideds aren't always hooked up into that online world.

2016's Republican turnout was hilariously lower than 2012's. After 4 years of watching Trump try to inflate a balloon using his rear end in a top hat, more voters are going to come out to vote for Biden because he's sadly not really a Democrat, but can appeal to enough on-the-fence Republicans and undecideds by being "that guy doesn't have a history of loving up our own poo poo".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

KillHour posted:

So does that mean everyone convicted of a crime without a unanimous jury gets a mistrial or what? That's a huge deal.
Their convictions probably get thrown out

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

And the Holy Roman Empire is totally holy, Roman, and an empire.

And don't get me started on North Korea!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Maybe he’ll go and hold a rally at the Villages.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

e:nm

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Wisconsin protest photos

Its amazing that these chuds think their freedom is being taken away. They are just merely being prevented from doing the stupidest thing possible yet they still found a way to do it.

Whenever I see stupid right wingers talking about liberty or freedom it just upsets me because they are really invested in the authoritarian party that is interested in taking your rights away...recently notable the first amendment right to take part in BDS. Its almost like they have the FOX news mentality of what liberty is. Never ceases to blow my mind. I would love to hear what you guys think their idea of freedom and liberty is.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"elections have cobsequences :smuggo:"
"who gave these governors the right to dictate the rules???"

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

I think you're underestimating just how much enormous slices of the traditional Dem coalition absolutely detests Orange shithead.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

How is Trumpy connected to the Villages besides lots and lots of boomers?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TulliusCicero posted:

The Villages push Florida red

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

TulliusCicero posted:

The Villages are the reason why Florida is the only state with an increasing Boomer population

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ManBoyChef posted:

Its amazing that these chuds think their freedom is being taken away. They are just merely being prevented from doing the stupidest thing possible yet they still found a way to do it.

Whenever I see stupid right wingers talking about liberty or freedom it just upsets me because they are really invested in the authoritarian party that is interested in taking your rights away...recently notable the first amendment right to take part in BDS. Its almost like they have the FOX news mentality of what liberty is. Never ceases to blow my mind. I would love to hear what you guys think their idea of freedom and liberty is.

The fundamental idea is they believe that all their rights matter, just that you are minority/ Other scum and you deserve to have yours taken away

It's pretty simple really

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ManBoyChef posted:

Conservatives want the law to protect them when they do whatever the gently caress they feel like and the law to ruthlessly persecute those they consider lesser

It's an absolute core element of their ideology

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

He has like a 95% approval rating there. It’s insanely Republican, way more so than the overall Boomer demographic which should tell you something.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ManBoyChef posted:

I asked a few how the Patriot Act isn't a rights violation but telling you to avoid getting a hair cut is treason. I got answers ranging from "Because it's called the PATRIOT act" to "Because it was needed". How restricting everyone's rights because a one time event took place that this bill won't prevent is beyond me.
Yeah, I know it's just right wingers clawing for an excuse of "It's good when my side does it"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TulliusCicero posted:

The fundamental idea is they believe that all their rights matter, just that you are minority/ Other scum and you deserve to have yours taken away

It's pretty simple really

Rights are a zero sum game. There aren't enough rights to go around and you can only have rights by denying them to someone else.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

haveblue posted:

Rights are a zero sum game. There aren't enough rights to go around and you can only have rights by denying them to someone else.

We reached Peak Rights the day Obama was elected and now we have to ration them.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

Just a reminder that any "digital" ad that is posted on Twitter/FB is going specifically to people that were already going to vote for Trump. The goal is to keep them incensed into voting. The moderate republicans, and some-how-I-breathe undecideds aren't always hooked up into that online world.

His campaign ads aren't just for his own die-hards.

Trump is actively pushing ads that are designed to make you think "there's no difference at all between Trump and Biden, this poo poo is funny but just doesn't matter." Someone who was going to go out, sigh, and pull the lever against Trump, but decides to just stay home, is just as much of a victory for his campaign as convincing someone who was going to stay at home to go vote for him.

He's not doing so well at turning out new voters, so this is a core part of his campaign strategy. It's just another angle on depressing and suppressing turnout. His campaign team isn't making these ads because they like funny memes; they're making it because they want to convince people like us to believe something that benefits them.

ManBoyChef posted:

They're not even being prevented from doing the stupidest things possible. They're being politely asked not to do stupid things, and going ballistic at the suggestion.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Can someone please explain the colonoscopy sign to me.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Jesus wept, your final death toll is going to be 'rest of the world put together' if these lunatics get traction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

gregday posted:

Can someone please explain the colonoscopy sign to me.

What do you mean? for corona?