Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jose posted:

OkCupid/POF are better ime and all the important bits are free like messaging people

Depends on how old you are though I guess

I've been staying off Tinder: it's a tool for meeting people and it all becomes a bit pointless if you can't actually meet.

Imagine a Tinder conversation that goes on for weeks instead of aiming to set up a 1st date as quickly as possible. Yuk.

Hey, nice snipe. I have 183 matches on Tinder (that I've never bothered to talk to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

My oven's a much less fancy version of this type thing:

where the bottom oven is a normal sized fan oven and the top one is a small toaster oven with a grill element as the only heat source, so it works like a toaster oven with the door shut or a small salamander with the door open.

If the reviews like this one are right, there's basically no point me getting one.

I guess it depends if your oven is failing to do something that an air fryer might do well.

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Isomermaid posted:

While we're talking about kitchen gadgets for some reason, may as well split the room: which kind of peeler do you use.

a) Y shaped, end on
b) I shaped, side on
c) A knife
d) Big

Who actually bothers to peel things?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't know what turnip would be like with the skin on and don't want to find out.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

big scary monsters posted:

I wonder if super chefs can still eat ordinary food for mere mortals like you or I might cook, or if everything not prepared in the subtlest manner with the finest ingredients tastes like garbage to their ultra-refined tastebuds and makes them want to hurl. Could Anthony Bourdain have stomached a frozen pizza?

e: A frozen pizza that had subsequently been prepared according to the appropriate instructions, for the inevitable pedant.

I have a friend who works in a Michelin starred kitchen and he often eats McDonalds or a Chinese Takeaway after work. Very rarely will he eat one of his own dishes. He'll taste it, of course, but he won't cook Michelin star quality food at home for himself.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I have never hated anything more than cooking.

I hate the fact that I hate it too. Loads of folks love it, I just want to get it over with. I don't think I do anything right, I don't know the recipes as well as I should and it just leaves me in the grim knowledge that virtually any take away I could have would be better.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

SpaceCommie posted:

Who actually bothers to peel things?

Mashed potato's a bit tricky to make without removing the skin first. When I was younger I found that out the hard way.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
also you can't get proper crispy roast potatoes if you leave the skin on

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Julio Cruz posted:

also you can't get proper crispy roast potatoes if you leave the skin on

This, and also parsnips and Jerusalem artichokes (the food of the gods)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Mashed potato's a bit tricky to make without removing the skin first. When I was younger I found that out the hard way.

That's what Instant mash is for. Not 'smash' because it's too potatoey, but supermarket 'own brand'. With lashings of butter and cheese.

As a child the bain of my life was peeling potatoes. My mother is one of these 'potatoes with every meal' people and with 6 in the family it was a horrible chore.
I haven't peeled a spud for about 40 years now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobstar posted:

I guess it depends if your oven is failing to do something that an air fryer might do well.
Yeah, the impression I get is if you don't have the separate toaster oven type thing (or an actual standalone toaster oven) and you're limited for space, an air fryer sounds like a fine idea, but in my case I'd probably end up with it as another piece of gimmicky crap cluttering up the kitchen when I've already got something that would do everything as well as an air fryer.

Maybe I should try some air fryer example recipes in that oven to see if it holds up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Dell_Zincht posted:

i never peel potatoes when making mash anymore, just requires a bit more mashing

all the flavour of taters is in the skin

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I hit both extremes: I like cooking that involves a long process, like making pasta or baking bread. It's very cathartic to spend an afternoon kneading by hand. I also like quick stuff like vietnamese salads or a good stir fry with a ripping hot wok but I hate fancy stuff for fanciness' sake. gently caress souffles or pastry/cakes imo.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i hate kneading so i just make no-knead bread now, handily its also the tastiest bread

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Yeah cooking fukcing sucks and is made worse by everyone being so moralising over it. If you say you don’t like it everyone pops up to talk about how unhealthy and wasteful you are and how you just don’t know how to do it properly. I look at cookbooks when I need a good laugh, they always require a “cupboard staple” like black garlic or preserved lemons or homemade mayonnaise. Alton Brown preheats his carbon steel pan for like an hour to make a fried egg in the oven on his YouTube channel. My mum spends hours sous viding eggs. Just don’t understand it. You can get quite nice ready meals now too, it’s not all frozen sodium-filled glop.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

With regards to Garlic chat, I actually do the Goodfellas garlic technique for the meals I make and it's really really effective.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

I find something quite Zen in cooking food, though I tend to alternate between 'proper' meals and making something cheap and easy

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Yeah there's nothing wrong with grabbing a takeout or a ready-made meal. The folks who write assuming everyone has spatchcocked a grouse or owns more than 3 pans are tedious. It's fun to experiment though, so I do get enjoyment from cooking with what I have to hand.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Dell_Zincht posted:

I have a friend who works in a Michelin starred kitchen and he often eats McDonalds or a Chinese Takeaway after work. Very rarely will he eat one of his own dishes. He'll taste it, of course, but he won't cook Michelin star quality food at home for himself.

Gordon Ramsay used to regularly eat at Burger King with his team, I believe. But isn't that a fairly usual thing for people who work in any field though? I've never met a decorator who didn't have at least half the house stripped back as part of a long, unfinished "I'll get to it one day" project or a programmer with a bunch of on-the-go code in complete disarray. After a long day of doing, who has the time or the will to pour into these things.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Yeah cooking fukcing sucks and is made worse by everyone being so moralising over it. If you say you don’t like it everyone pops up to talk about how unhealthy and wasteful you are and how you just don’t know how to do it properly. I look at cookbooks when I need a good laugh, they always require a “cupboard staple” like black garlic or preserved lemons or homemade mayonnaise. Alton Brown preheats his carbon steel pan for like an hour to make a fried egg in the oven on his YouTube channel. My mum spends hours sous viding eggs. Just don’t understand it. You can get quite nice ready meals now too, it’s not all frozen sodium-filled glop.

"If you don't have fresh dodo eggs, store bought is fine."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Isomermaid posted:

Gordon Ramsay used to regularly eat at Burger King with his team, I believe. But isn't that a fairly usual thing for people who work in any field though? I've never met a decorator who didn't have at least half the house stripped back as part of a long, unfinished "I'll get to it one day" project or a programmer with a bunch of on-the-go code in complete disarray. After a long day of doing, who has the time or the will to pour into these things.
Yeah, if you make your hobby your career, it's less likely you'll never work a day, and more likely that you'll never feel you're not at work and you'll come home to a bunch of half finished stuff and go fucks sake.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Isomermaid posted:

I work 12 hour shifts and have to cook for the wife and kids when I get home. With the kids it's just bunging poo poo on a tray in the oven but the wife and I usually have a stir-fry or a curry or something.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, the impression I get is if you don't have the separate toaster oven type thing (or an actual standalone toaster oven) and you're limited for space, an air fryer sounds like a fine idea, but in my case I'd probably end up with it as another piece of gimmicky crap cluttering up the kitchen when I've already got something that would do everything as well as an air fryer.

Maybe I should try some air fryer example recipes in that oven to see if it holds up.

Sounds like a plan. I also hate food/cooking, so I gadgetise it to make it more interesting and quicker (takeaway pizza is less tempting when the homemade just involves throwing things in the bread maker, rolling, topping and baking). In addition to the mentioned oven substitutes, I also have a Nutribullet, food processor, slow cooker and a weird non-stick communal grill thing that's meant to go on the table, which I use to make little pancakes (it was a work Christmas present) - but I use these at least once a week, some every day, and am lucky enough to have space to store them when not in use. If I was pushed for space I'd want a really good oven.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Huel to replace meals gets around a fair amount of need to meal prep. I just have it for breakfast now but would be fine having it most meals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would strongly advise against using recipes for anything other than baking (because you can't really guess at the proportions and a rough reference is helpful)

For me cooking is just... I have stuff I like, and I can make stuff exactly as I like it. If I buy something I'm stuck with it as it is, but if I make something I can make it however I want it. I don't eat complicated food so mostly it's just how to fry stuff nicely, and frying is a way to prepare almost anything in a way that you really can't buy, cos just-fried food is uniquely good in a way that can't be preserved. Plus it's very easy and quick too.

Same with baking, you can't really buy a lot of good baked stuff unless you go out and get it that day, cos it doesn't keep well and the stuff that does keep well is manky cos of all the preservatives they put in it that gently caress up the texture and taste. Like shelf stable bread is horrible cos it's all claggy and dry, and stuff like scones don't keep past the first day.

I won't cook something I can't stew, roast, or fry, cos it's too much effort. But that still allows you a huge amount of food that you can make exactly how you want.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 20, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Sad Panda posted:

Huel to replace meals gets around a fair amount of need to meal prep. I just have it for breakfast now but would be fine having it most meals.

gently caress that, I enjoy the taste of actual food.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
for some reason cookery seems to have an absurd amount of gatekeeping attached

like you can't go into GWS and ask a simple question without a page full of people telling you that your ingredients are poo poo and you should be only using this technique and you're generally a moron for even thinking about putting these two things in the same dish

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Sad Panda posted:

Yeah huel is surprisingly nice and not at all what I expected. Very mildly flavoured and mostly made of oats, nothing like a diet shake. I have chronic heartburn so it’s amazing to have something nutritionally complete that doesn’t trigger it. (Sorry to sound like a huel ad)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

I wonder what old Tim Martins makes of pubs having to stay closed until Christmas :laugh: Tim Martins of Gammonshire with his face like a very simple Vigo the Carpathian

And then they're open a whole week before his supply chains gets splattered by hard Brexit and we all become ULTRAPOOR and cant afford beer anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The whole idea of fancy cooking IMO is bourgeois mentality being imposed on people who shouldn't be subjected to it. Cos most of that poo poo isn't for people to cook for themselves, it's for people to cook for other people and specifically in the context of a restaurant or an aristo household kitchen. They're not recipes designed with the people making them in mind, they're designed for someone else to make them for you.

For basically all of history, 99% of people have made food in a big pot, a frying pan, or an oven, and that's it. And the overwhelming majority of the food they made was using the same basic staple ingredients, and you can make really nice food out of that. Especially with the modern access to some really high flavour components on demand mixed in.

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

I switched to a palm held peeler a couple of years ago and can't imagine using any other type again

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1252242157198598145

Electability

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not Sure for labour leader.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Comment I just found under 'that' Sunday Times article:

quote:

What our Tory friends here should be really concerned about is the balanced, polished and coherent rhetoric coming from Starmer and the shadow government .......

For the life of me I'm not sure if it's intended to be what the poster really thinks or sarcasm!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I would strongly advise against using recipes for anything other than baking (because you can't really guess at the proportions and a rough reference is helpful)
I used recipes when starting out just to get an idea of the processes, like roughly how long and at what temperature you should cook x for to not die.

Back then there were no technical process-oriented type resources I could find, like this

or this

and so I ended up having to decipher it backwards from big recipes for full family meals with fancy trimmings or cookbooks, which then runs into

Red Oktober posted:

"If you don't have fresh dodo eggs, store bought is fine."

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1186601472244568065

Starmer already 2% higher than Corbyn, the comeback starts here.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I went a long time without cooking, being married to someone who loves to do it, then I started working from home while they had an hour's commute and it became my job to learn, and honestly it's been really fun. It was getting hold of simple recipes that did it, little things I could make with a handful of reasonably cheap ingredients in about an hour. But food is one of those places I know I'm priviledged and we can afford to spend the money buying bits and the time preparing it, I don't take either for granted.

There's a joy in labouring on something for other people to enjoy I think, I rarely do anything more than reheat things if it's just for me.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

HJB posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1186601472244568065

Starmer already 2% higher than Corbyn, the comeback starts here.

https://twitter.com/PopulismExpert/status/1252246631153569792

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Sorry, I should know better than to beat someone at their own obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

This "Not Sure" sounds electable as gently caress and you can't beat the name recognition.