Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ween

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

IcarusUpHigh posted:

F I D E L I T Y

gently caress, Titanic is gonna freak when she see this.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:v: Thanks for your effort Fraser, but I think we'll all wait for Joe Blobbers to tell us what's really going on!

:classiclol: Now, this should be the top comment here, pinned to the top. With Joe's answer of course, for i for one am very curious about the real facts. :DDD (also be prepared for the 'has been in development for nearly a decade' part counterattack. popcorn rustle intensifies)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

goons are the most oppressed group

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

PC Gamer continues the hard reporting by referring to them as "Star Citizen Players" as if the game is out and works, and talks about their "roadmap" unironically as if it's not a lie from stem to stern.

Keep at it, PC Gamer. I consider you complicit in this incredible grift. How much is Chris paying you to look the other way?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Guys, I just think that at this time we should maybe go out of our way to be nice to CIG employees.

I can only imagine how depressing it must be to have to work from home and not have a space door.....

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
I wonder what the breakdown is among the devs, like they have 600 people, and they can't possibly all be incompetent, right? How many people got jobs there knowing they would never have to produce a functional product while collecting a paycheck? Or maybe they really are true believers? Are there any stories of people quitting once they see the shitshow for themselves?

Seems like you could easily grift the grifters here...

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Phayray posted:

I wonder what the breakdown is among the devs, like they have 600 people, and they can't possibly all be incompetent, right? How many people got jobs there knowing they would never have to produce a functional product while collecting a paycheck? Or maybe they really are true believers? Are there any stories of people quitting once they see the shitshow for themselves?

sometimes you literally don't care either way - it's just your job. you're supposed to do your work. if the company does dumb poo poo the only action you take is look for a different job in private.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Phayray posted:

It only takes one incompetent person with veto power to invalidate the work of a thousand competent ones. Those competent ones then shrug, do as they're told, and continue drawing a paycheque while doing what they're told instead of what they know they should be doing. They get paid either way, so why fight it too hard?

necroid
May 14, 2009

is star citizen ready yet? haven't followed any threads for months now and I know gently caress all apart from the very recent news of more delays lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I hope in the next 6 months that CI¬G release at least one gameplay loop.
It can't be easy being a backer for 8 years and seeing elevator control panels as a big update.
It's a real shame about all this, I feel terrible for all involved.
One can't help but feel that people should hold Chris's feet to the fire, what a horrible state of affairs all round, what with decent reedit folk getting shafted with every roadmap update, and us lot pointing and laughing.
It must be tough being a backer, I am on their side from now on, I feel great empathy with them, it sucks to be bitchslapped consistently like this, week after week, month after month, year after year.
It's a real shame.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

necroid posted:

is star citizen ready yet? haven't followed any threads for months now and I know gently caress all apart from the very recent news of more delays lol

It's in ALPHA / has more gameplay than most AAA games*

*delete as required

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

You're weird and angry. Encouraging fat slobs to work out is a net health benefit, even if they still eat garbage food.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Torquemada posted:

I don’t know anything about game development, but I think a lot of large game companies could make a large scale MMO in five years, then bang out a single player space ship game in three years.

Something something understand game development.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Time_pants posted:

Something something understand game development.

He doesn't seem to understand it!

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

peter gabriel posted:

(snip)

I hope so too, because it will be great fun seeing what it is (or rather isn't) and how it can be broken. It's getting pretty stale around Star Citizen, something fresh would be nice.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers posted:

:v: Thanks for your effort Fraser, but I think we'll all wait for Joe Blobbers to tell us what's really going on!

:classiclol: Now, this should be the top comment here, pinned to the top. With Joe's answer of course, for i for one am very curious about the real facts. :DDD (also be prepared for the 'has been in development for nearly a decade' part counterattack. popcorn rustle intensifies)

Like clockwork.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Xakura posted:

You're weird and angry. Encouraging fat slobs to work out is a net health benefit, even if they still eat garbage food.

I think he is just really getting to the surface detail.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dementropy posted:

Like clockwork.

Posts like that put my mind to rest, sometimes I need reminding that actually progress is good and normal

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It took CD Project red 5 years to complete ONE GAME, this is why it's fine that after 8 years CI¬G have got a game to a state where it is a few years away from Beta
There is literally nothing wrong with development of Star ctiaszernb as you can see

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dementropy posted:

Like clockwork.

Blob Team Six to the rescue!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

peter gabriel posted:

It can't be easy being a backer for 8 years and seeing elevator control panels as a big update.
One can't help but feel that people should hold Chris's feet to the fire, what a horrible state of affairs all round, what with decent reedit folk getting shafted with every roadmap update, and us lot pointing and laughing.
It must be tough being a backer, I am on their side from now on, I feel great empathy with them, it sucks to be bitchslapped consistently like this, week after week, month after month, year after year.
It's a real shame.

I sand with Standi.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AbstractNapper posted:

I sand with Standi.

:same:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I maintain Sandi's exit to be the harbinger of the end times. Considering that she made a hard exit (divorce) rather than just wandering off indicates to me that good times are coming. She's taking extra steps to distance herself from this as much as humanly possible.

That or even she could tell that the drooling incompetent moron who "helms" CIG wasn't going to be her gravy train for much longer. That interview where she eviscerates him for the backers ... brutal.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

It's a real shame.

„The doctors drilled deep into the skull...and got greedy. They drilled too deep, and woke something terrible...“

Sorry, can‘t lookup the actual lotr quote right now, hope you are okay, dancy cat

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

„The doctors drilled deep into the skull...and got greedy. They drilled too deep, and woke something terrible...“

Sorry, can‘t lookup the actual lotr quote right now, hope you are okay, dancy cat

I am all gooooood.
Life is WEIRD right now, and in these uncertain times it's good to have a constant like star catatznern
No matter how much the world outside burns, it's nice to know this AAAA game continues on track, on time and on budget.
I am sure you'll join all us proud backers is applauding the dedication of Chris, Sandi and raise a glass to their continued success in saving PC gaming.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

A little known fact is that the 'PC' in PC gaming stands for "Praise Chris"

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've just logged in to check up on my 10 year probation

quote:

You have been put on probation until 2025-12-15 23:27. You can no longer post on the community forums and public chat channels.

Your continued vitriol versus CIG in the forums and how they spend the money on the project, and your past post history, has led to your account being perma banned from the forums.

This ban does not affect your ability to play the game

I am half way through it now, yay!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
So Sandi jumped ships and the whales are still splashing around, expecting a finished product? What the Christ.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Scruffpuff posted:

I maintain Sandi's exit to be the harbinger of the end times. Considering that she made a hard exit (divorce) rather than just wandering off indicates to me that good times are coming. She's taking extra steps to distance herself from this as much as humanly possible.

That or even she could tell that the drooling incompetent moron who "helms" CIG wasn't going to be her gravy train for much longer. That interview where she eviscerates him for the backers ... brutal.

Wait, is that confirmed?

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

There's some timing that's odd. Of the "This wasn't supposed to happen this way" flavor.

2019 has one Sandi appearance in Jan, with CR and the matching Karthu racing shirts. Then in May 2019, Mr. Elliot comes in PWE and takes Sandi's position as VP of Marketing. Sandi is then seen in the UK filings as "Appointment of Sandi Roberts as a director on 1 June 2019". We don't see or hear of Sandi past that for the rest of the year, outside of one unverifiable anecdote that she was at an acting/movement class and a backer recognized her (reddit post deleted). Nearly a year later, we're looking at the possibility that both Sandi and Chris repeat the cycle of their relationship, going their own ways.

It feels like Sandi was pointed out as a weak spot by Daniel O'connell Offner after his analysis of CIG was done, and the Calder bloc insisted that changes needed to be made for there to by any other money down the line. CR probably fought this because he felt he needed to, but at the end negotiated a demotion upstairs for Sandi to a directorship on the board. It's possible that the directorship role makes less money overall than what she made as VP of Marketing, but 2019 accounts haven't been filed yet so we don't know.

If I were to guess, Sandi felt betrayed by Chris, because she was removed by both him and the Calders from benefiting from the Calder injection. And that triggered the next part of the Sandi/Chris relationship cycle.

As for Chris, what I think he's feeling in between the vice? Just more weight, for all it matters.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Wait, is that confirmed?

We have one very circumstantial shred of evidence in CR not wearing his ring on the last Pillar Talk which ever since the beginning of the project he has worn. We also have the history of Chris/Sandi's relationship repeating in cycles. At this point, it's a guess, but given history and what we're seeing at CIG, it's not out of the question.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 20, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

It could definitely mean that she saw the money drying up. It was always hard to believe the funding tracker, but now with it pointing to a record year of JPEG sales in the midst of an economic meltdown, it can’t at all be real.

Someone on the refunds sub looked into their LinkedIn job postings and found that they now have 427 openings, but they keep claiming that they have “over 600” employees.

Then there’s progress on the game which has ground to an absolute and pathetic trickle even by CIG’s own sad standards.

I’m not stupid enough to say “90 days tops!” because this mess has defied all logic for over 8 years now, but something is happening behind the scenes.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
How long til Crobbler gets strangled again?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Can confirm, Sandi got half a space door and Rexzilla in the divorce, Chris got Ben.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

peter gabriel posted:

It took CD Project red 5 years to complete ONE GAME, this is why it's fine that after 8 years CI¬G have got a game to a state where it is a few years away from Beta
There is literally nothing wrong with development of Star ctiaszernb as you can see

Thing that really irritates me about the argument is the core "developing two AAA+ games" is one of the biggest signs of their ineptitude and inability to run a company. Who decides that a nascent development company would be best served by going through the herculean task of delivering not one but two huge never before done games at the same time? A total and complete idiot that's who.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Scruffpuff posted:

I bet good money they are using the "divorce" to protect all of the cash that has somehow ended up with her as part of the settlement. Once a thief always a thief.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

there's also this: https://www.linkedin.com/in/elliott-chin-8a41029/

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
So which marketing director was in charge of hiring/firing Rexzilla?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

It's nice to know, in these uncertain times, that there are certain things that are reliable and immutable, such as Chris Roberts being unable to make a game. Certainty about some things being permanently anchored in reality provides a much-needed support pillar in these trying times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

MassivelyOP: Here’s a visual guide to the features that have been removed from Star Citizen alpha 3.9

quote:

To be fair, alpha 3.9 of Star Citizen is still bringing a fair number of things to the sandbox side of the game, but when you put what is confirmed to be coming against what was originally planned, the contrast is pretty stark.

One redditor made a handy visual aid to illustrate the problem with scope that Star Citizen often has, lining up December 2019’s roadmap of features next to the feature list currently offered on April 17th, 2020. Some of the features that were removed in-between that time frame are hardly game-changing like an accounting app and improved shadows, but others like new weapons, the Cutlass Blue rework and the Drake Vulture, bounty hunter missions, improved death animations, and FPS weapon types were removed or rolled back. As one would expect, this illustration has caused no shortage of community disquiet.

What happened to most of these features? According to the latest roadmap roundup, PvP bounties were apparently added to the roadmap too early as preliminary work is being done but should be released in “a later quarter,” death animation improvements will slide to alpha 4.1 as work on dragging corpses around is on track for 4.0, and the Cutlass Blue is moved to 4.0.

On the bright side of things, what is coming to alpha 3.9 is mostly in the polishing phase, so yay for that?