Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'd add Troubleshooter to the list of good XCOMlikes, the tactical layer follows a very similar format with some of its own twists (initiative, fatigue, action time, elemental/environmental interactions, more involved stealth), the first missions are all very easy for someone coming out of XCOM, but the procedural ones are definitely tougher. You don't get custom characters, but you can give the ones you do get different skills and talents to change how they play out. It is a very anime game, but the Engrish has been dramatically reduced in these last few weeks as they've been preparing to come out of Early Access, it also feels like a steal for the current price as there is a lot of game there. Honestly, if you enjoy XCOM for its tactical layer and can stomach some anime, it's a very easy rec.

[fake edit]It is anime in the sense that everyone is very earnest and dramatic (as well as artstyle), but it's not lewd at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ZearothK posted:

I'd add Troubleshooter to the list of good XCOMlikes, the tactical layer follows a very similar format with some of its own twists (initiative, fatigue, action time, elemental/environmental interactions, more involved stealth), the first missions are all very easy for someone coming out of XCOM, but the procedural ones are definitely tougher. You don't get custom characters, but you can give the ones you do get different skills and talents to change how they play out. It is a very anime game, but the Engrish has been dramatically reduced in these last few weeks as they've been preparing to come out of Early Access, it also feels like a steal for the current price as there is a lot of game there. Honestly, if you enjoy XCOM for its tactical layer and can stomach some anime, it's a very easy rec.

[fake edit]It is anime in the sense that everyone is very earnest and dramatic (as well as artstyle), but it's not lewd at all

I've left it installed and will be tackling it when it comes out of EA + when XCOM 2 / Chimera Squad release me. From what I played of it, it's good! A very colorful and fun XCOM.

Also, yes, I put Fort Triumph on the wishlist. Comedy or no, I want to try all XCOMs!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

geez grimrock isn’t loving around with the puzzles, I just had to go up 5 floors in search of an arrow to use for a puzzle that required one because none of my characters use arrows and I had no idea where any had been left behind; the same puzzle also required a skull, which are exclusively rare and secret/hidden items that you have no reason to carry if you don’t have a character of 1 specific race who also has 1 specific perk. I actually met that qualification, but if you’d been leaving skulls behind since you didn’t need them or had never found any, you’d be hosed

and this is right after a puzzle that was only solveable using information from a random scroll found inside of a secret room on the opposite side of the floor, with no apparent connection between the two, so if you missed the scroll on your way then good luck. I don’t know how I’ve managed to get to floor 12 without needing to look anything up yet. Lot of “that was actually the answer?!” moments in this game after trying some weird poo poo on a puzzle and seeing it actually work

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I want to plug Age of Wonders: Planetfall as a combination XCom and 4X (5X?). The tactical combat is pretty drat satisfying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Baller Time posted:

I remember liking the humor of that Bard's Tale Diablo clone, but that's been 15 years ago and probably mainly because of the beer song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTUJNeuFIFA
Fun fact: the beer song is real, honest-to-drunkenness Irish drinking song. Adjusted a bit for the setting, but otherwise perfectly authentic.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

I want to plug Age of Wonders: Planetfall as a combination XCom and 4X (5X?). The tactical combat is pretty drat satisfying.

How is the 4-5X aspect of it? I tend to suck REALLY bad at 4X games.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mario and Rabbids is my favorite xcom-alike

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Fun fact: the beer song is real, honest-to-drunkenness Irish drinking song. Adjusted a bit for the setting, but otherwise perfectly authentic.
How about the nuckalavee song?

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 20, 2020

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Extremely light, comparatively. The 4X is basically an engine for enabling the tactical fights.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

GrandpaPants posted:

Hey, this game has slipped by unnoticed by me until now. Looks like it might be something I'd enjoy. Thanks for the heads up.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Note that I love Majesty and think its humor works, it is the last good comedy fantasy game.

I remember loving the humor in King’s Bounty: The Legend, and being pretty disappointed the later games never really matched the goofy tone.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

anilEhilated posted:

How about the nuckalavee song?
Not that I know of, but the monster at least is real folklore.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Moreso than Heroes of Might and Magic and the previous Age of Wonders games, but less so than dedicated 4X games like Civ. You do have to worry about expansion and what your cities generally do, but there's not too much thought into it since most buildings don't have an upkeep and there's apparently no downside to making GBS threads out cities except the opportunity cost of production and the general increased vulnerability of having weak points in your burgeoning empire. The Extermination part, as I've mentioned, is robust as hell and pretty satisfying.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Age of Wonders games were always fairly light on the development and city building aspects of it, so if you're used to the older games, it won't be much of a change. But yeah, just don't expect anything like a Civ game. Cities are basically only there to give you research points and production facilities. There's no real terrain or population management involved.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just started Nier Automata last night after accidentally buying it because I didn't realize it was in my cart, it's cool! But I have some very spoilery questions. I'm still in the very early game (just did the desert) and...

I think I already get what this game is going for, theme-wise. There has been enough attention drawn to things like non-aggressive enemies, enemies begging for help and seeming more human than I am, quests forcing me to kill non-aggressive enemies to progress, etc - the desert boss bleeding when I killed it, and being born from a big metal womb in the first place. So I'm assuming that it's going to pull a Spec Ops: The Line thing where it questions me for being recklessly violent. The fact that the first boss was literally made of industrial machinery, it was part of the world that I'm here to protect. It's pretty overt with all of this symbolism

So my question is... does it do anything with the game mechanics (not just the story) regarding this? I.E. Will I miss out on anything, or have a different experience if I do something like choose to avoid killing whenever possible? If there's a mechanical difference I want to know about it, but if it's just a story thing then I'll let it run its course and do its thing.
(For what it's worth I probably won't play through it more than once to see the alternate story stuff unless the combat gets a lot more challenging soon, which is why I ask)

Also here's my guess at the big twist after 2 hours of play so that you can chuckle at it if I'm wildly off-course:

The robots that I'm killing are Human-built robots, humanity is dead and I am playing as one of the invaders that wiped them out

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just started Nier Automata last night after accidentally buying it because I didn't realize it was in my cart, it's cool! But I have some very spoilery questions. I'm still in the very early game (just did the desert) and...

I think I already get what this game is going for, theme-wise. There has been enough attention drawn to things like non-aggressive enemies, enemies begging for help and seeming more human than I am, quests forcing me to kill non-aggressive enemies to progress, etc - the desert boss bleeding when I killed it, and being born from a big metal womb in the first place. So I'm assuming that it's going to pull a Spec Ops: The Line thing where it questions me for being recklessly violent. The fact that the first boss was literally made of industrial machinery, it was part of the world that I'm here to protect. It's pretty overt with all of this symbolism

So my question is... does it do anything with the game mechanics (not just the story) regarding this? I.E. Will I miss out on anything, or have a different experience if I do something like choose to avoid killing whenever possible? If there's a mechanical difference I want to know about it, but if it's just a story thing then I'll let it run its course and do its thing.
(For what it's worth I probably won't play through it more than once to see the alternate story stuff, which is why I ask)

Also here's my guess at the big twist after 2 hours of play so that you can chuckle at it if I'm wildly off-course:

The robots that I'm killing are Human-built robots, humanity is dead and I am playing as one of the invaders that wiped them out
There's more to it. A lot more. It also should be noted you aren't at the end until you've reached ending... I think F E?

e: I stand corrected.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 20, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

There's more to it. A lot more. It also should be noted you aren't at the end until ending... I think F?
Ending E. F is a failure state.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
There are no changes you can make to the story during gameplay; there are different joke endings you can get by doing silly stuff and at the very, very end there is a choice you can make for the actual ending, but you get a chapter select after and can immediately go back to that very choice and change it, or to a specific point in case you want to retry a sidequest. No need to worry about replaying everything to get something you missed.

And yes, you are wildly off-course.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

(For what it's worth I probably won't play through it more than once to see the alternate story stuff unless the combat gets a lot more challenging soon, which is why I ask)

That's an interesting guess, I think you'll enjoy this game a lot.

There's really no branching paths in the game based on moral choices or whatever. The only optional content is either sidequests (which are all worth doing, don't judge based on the tutorial ones) or joke endings. There are 27 endings, one for each letter in the alphabet, but only the first 5 are part of the actual story, and you'll get them in sequence one after another as you play through the game.

Know that this doesn't mean you're going to play through the whole game five times, it's a different kind of thing.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Okay cool, glad to hear it will be full of surprises! I'm really enjoying it but don't often replay games. I did just play through Nioh 2 twice and was hungry for a third+ playthrough so maybe I'll do that here too :kiddo: The world is a blast to explore so far

Orv
May 4, 2011
Automata starts out similar-ish in its second run then has markedly different parts and the following runs are basically completely different so you're not really replaying the game, you're still just finishing the same game. Even as someone who is constitutionally incapable of replaying SP story games it was worth playing route B to see the rest.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah its not like you're doing a full replay, ending a and b kind of are a replay but kinda definitely not, and from there on every ending after are like direct continuations or something.

game loving slaps though, its amazing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Automata is a game that you are intended to play multiple times and it has a really gameplay change going on halfway through this that I'm sure you will really enjoy. Stick with it, it only gets more interesting.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Lord Lambeth posted:

Mario and Rabbids is my favorite xcom-alike

This was shockingly so much better than it has any right to be and definitely worth the $20 it's perpetually on sale for.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Age of Wonders Planetfall: you have all sold me on it, it's on sale for 20$ and I hate all of you I can't pick it up I wouldn't even play it this week but I waaaant it

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Age of Wonders Planetfall: you have all sold me on it, it's on sale for 20$ and I hate all of you I can't pick it up I wouldn't even play it this week but I waaaant it

I am a huge fan of the AOW series and have been playing it since I was a kid and even though Planetfall didn't grip me the way the earlier games did I still want to see the devs being supported and I want to see more expansions. So if you post or PM me your email I will gift it to you on the site where it's currently $19.95 :kiddo:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is 66% off in the weekly sale for $10. I know there are some here that were keeping an eye out for it to drop in price. Definitely worth a look if you like tile based tactics games. It was heavily inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics. The writing is nothing special, but the gameplay and class/skill mixing is fun.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's on Gamepass if you have that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I am a huge fan of the AOW series and have been playing it since I was a kid and even though Planetfall didn't grip me the way the earlier games did I still want to see the devs being supported and I want to see more expansions. So if you post or PM me your email I will gift it to you on the site where it's currently $19.95 :kiddo:

:O

I've sent a PM - for reference for anyone else who wants the sale, it's on the WinGameStore which is legit, I've bought from them and isthereanydeal lists them - and oh goodness, thank you!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's on Gamepass if you have that.

I don't - I much prefer to own things instead of renting them.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I meant Return Of Godzilla from 1984. Shin Godzilla is fantastic tho. Shame there won't be a sequel.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Ragequit posted:

Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark is 66% off in the weekly sale for $10. I know there are some here that were keeping an eye out for it to drop in price. Definitely worth a look if you like tile based tactics games. It was heavily inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics. The writing is nothing special, but the gameplay and class/skill mixing is fun.

One thing to keep in mind is that there's an expansion pack coming out soon (May?) and apparently it's been recommended that the game should be started fresh with it.

While we're talking about FFT inspired games, I'll always be trying to pimp Horizon's Gate and other Rad Codex endeavors since they're rad: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1224290/Horizons_Gate/. It even got a recent patch that added a new class and stuff, so it looks like he keeps improving on it.

Orv
May 4, 2011
And then I reinstalled the best Far Cry game, 2.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Orv posted:

Definitely the best. Not the most fun one, but by far the best. It goes for this oppressive, hostile atmosphere and it totally nails it.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

GrandpaPants posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that there's an expansion pack coming out soon (May?) and apparently it's been recommended that the game should be started fresh with it.

While we're talking about FFT inspired games, I'll always be trying to pimp Horizon's Gate and other Rad Codex endeavors since they're rad: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1224290/Horizons_Gate/. It even got a recent patch that added a new class and stuff, so it looks like he keeps improving on it.

Rad, I had not heard of their latest game. I played Voidspire Tactics and Alvora Tactics and had a blast.

I had no idea Fell Seal was getting an expansion. That is also rad. Rad.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

As much as I'm enjoying Primal and 5, you are objectively correct.

ps Primal is amazing you should try it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played AoW: Planetfall on gamepass and as someone who loves HOMM/XCOM Tactics/4x Civlikes I found it completely dull and gave up on it after a few hours after trying really hard to get into it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orv posted:

Far Cry 2 is one of those video games that goons exhort that make me just go "meh!" I think it's largely because I'd played a lot of STALKER before hand, which does a lot of similar things only better and more in-depth. I did appreciate FC2's commitment to its first-person perspective, its misfiring crapguns, and its fire tech was a fun novelty but I've never wanted to replay it and actually prefer FC3 and 4, gamey as they are.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

explosivo posted:

I played AoW: Planetfall on gamepass and as someone who loves HOMM/XCOM Tactics/4x Civlikes I found it completely dull and gave up on it after a few hours after trying really hard to get into it.

same, i bounced off hard. thank god for gamepass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In my experience, FC2 versus FC3 tends to be one of those things where if you really liked one of them, you probably won't like the other.