Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Dell_Zincht posted:

Mashed potato's a bit tricky to make without removing the skin first. When I was younger I found that out the hard way.

Potato Ricer like a giant garlic press but for potatoes. Don't need to peel them either.

Edit In the year 184 Beolhyu becomes king of Silla.

Catzilla fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Yeah cooking fukcing sucks and is made worse by everyone being so moralising over it. If you say you don’t like it everyone pops up to talk about how unhealthy and wasteful you are and how you just don’t know how to do it properly. I look at cookbooks when I need a good laugh, they always require a “cupboard staple” like black garlic or preserved lemons or homemade mayonnaise. Alton Brown preheats his carbon steel pan for like an hour to make a fried egg in the oven on his YouTube channel. My mum spends hours sous viding eggs. Just don’t understand it. You can get quite nice ready meals now too, it’s not all frozen sodium-filled glop.

You can make plenty of amazing tasting food in 20min - 1 h with ingredients you can get at a Tesco metro in a student area. Cook books are trying to reinvent the wheel and sell it to you at a markup so all the recipes are over the top to stand out and justify the price. The art of good cooking is good fresh ingredients in as simple a dish as possible cooked with good technique and seasoning.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

HJB posted:

Sorry, I should know better than to beat someone at their own obsession.

I've got something you can beat.

Rocks. Go beat rocks.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Isomermaid posted:

This "Not Sure" sounds electable as gently caress and you can't beat the name recognition.

He could definitely become President like in that documentary

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
My council tax bill for the year finally turned up. It's a month later than usual and they've pushed back the first payment from the start of April to the start of June (so the financial year has started with the two month holiday instead of ending with it).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Josef bugman posted:

I have never hated anything more than cooking.

I hate the fact that I hate it too. Loads of folks love it, I just want to get it over with. I don't think I do anything right, I don't know the recipes as well as I should and it just leaves me in the grim knowledge that virtually any take away I could have would be better.
Nah I'm right there with you. Cooking is the most miserable chore that exists, it stresses me out more than almost anything else and I don't find it rewarding or relaxing at all.

Yeah cooking fukcing sucks and is made worse by everyone being so moralising over it. If you say you don’t like it everyone pops up to talk about how unhealthy and wasteful you are and how you just don’t know how to do it properly.
:hmmyes:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Cooking is fine, washing up is a real bitch

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Dell_Zincht posted:

Cooking is fine, washing up is a real bitch

It's this, wanna live somewhere with a dishwasher so much.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
happy weed time on weed day, everyone :420:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Algol Star posted:

You can make plenty of amazing tasting food in 20min - 1 h with ingredients you can get at a Tesco metro in a student area. Cook books are trying to reinvent the wheel and sell it to you at a markup so all the recipes are over the top to stand out and justify the price. The art of good cooking is good fresh ingredients in as simple a dish as possible cooked with good technique and seasoning.

Sure. But there are still problems with buying simple ingredients. Like, given I don’t own a herb garden, if I want to make something with a bit of mint, I now have a huge packet of mint I have to use up on other recipes, or I have to make bulk meals (which needs huge pans, takes more prep time, it’s boring eating the same thing for multiple days, blah blah...) It makes infinitely more sense for a company or restaurant to make huge batches of meals that I can then buy, imo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

happy weed time on weed day, everyone :420:

Seems like something might be slowing your reaction times there...

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Yeah cooking fukcing sucks and is made worse by everyone being so moralising over it. If you say you don’t like it everyone pops up to talk about how unhealthy and wasteful you are and how you just don’t know how to do it properly. I look at cookbooks when I need a good laugh, they always require a “cupboard staple” like black garlic or preserved lemons or homemade mayonnaise. Alton Brown preheats his carbon steel pan for like an hour to make a fried egg in the oven on his YouTube channel. My mum spends hours sous viding eggs. Just don’t understand it. You can get quite nice ready meals now too, it’s not all frozen sodium-filled glop.

Buy some blue cheese. Buy some spinach. Buy some double cream, buy some gnocchi - this should cost no more than £5 or £6, and if I can get them at my tiny village's single co-op you can find them too. Put gnocchi in a pot of boiling water and simmer until the gnocchi floats to the top - this should take no more than 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat up double cream, blue cheese, and some spinach in a pan until the cheese melts and you get a creamy sauce. Don't loving boil it.
Take gnocchi off the boil, drain the water, and toss them in the pan with with sauce. Mix everything together for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper, maybe chilli flakes if you have some spices, but it doesn't matter.

This will literally take you less time than it takes to heat up a microwave ready meal, it will feed 2-3 people easily, is inexpensive, and delicious, and you don't look like a loving goon.

Oh garlic bread goes well with it.

edit: you can substitute tortelloni for the gnocchi if you want to mix up the flavours a little.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Blue cheese is also a really good ingredient generally, you can put it in a lot of things, sauces, gravy, on meat, in mash, all sorts. And you don't need too much of it, it adds buckets of flavour.

Also with pate on toast is a hell of a breakfast.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

OwlFancier posted:

Not Sure for labour leader.

Well, Did Not Vote won anyway, so...

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Has anyone been baking? I've been taking a look at getting be started with sourdough but besides getting the starter going it seems to call for a lot more equipment than I expected. I keep reading I should use a Dutch oven (lol) but will any heavy metal lidded dish do? I don't really want to get this stuff and have to move it out of my dad's in a few months.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone been baking?

yeah im baked right now

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

A real "Ooh, this will sting him!" headline written by somebody who's evidently never seen Die Hard 2: Die Harder.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What do you need a dutch oven for for baking? Unless you're cooking in a campfire does the normal oven not work?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has anyone been baking? I've been taking a look at getting be started with sourdough but besides getting the starter going it seems to call for a lot more equipment than I expected. I keep reading I should use a Dutch oven (lol) but will any heavy metal lidded dish do? I don't really want to get this stuff and have to move it out of my dad's in a few months.

I make my sourdough in a cake tin with a tray of water in the bottom of the oven. No need for fancy stuff.

(There is probably need for an actual bread tin)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Lol no I can't get flour or eggs for love nor money. I'm looking at going to a catering supplier and buying in bulk at the moment - but it is a luxury, not a necessity, so I'm not sure whether I'll bother.

I usually bake cakes and brownies regularly because it's nicer and less plastic-consuming than buying them, I'm really missing it at the moment.

I want to learn to bake bread for much the same reason but without flour I really can't start.

OwlFancier posted:

What do you need a dutch oven for for baking? Unless you're cooking in a campfire does the normal oven not work?

To get a closer, higher heat, basically, like using a pizza stone, from what I've seen, but it shouldn't be necessary in the slightest.

Many, many youtube tutorials make the whole process way more complicated than necessary.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I just disagree that gnocchi and sauce tastes better than every ready meal I can buy, sorry
(Also I would probably die after eating blue cheese and double cream because of the chronic heartburn and fat intolerance, but even without that, I can think of stuff I’d rather eat. Sounds stodgy af)

e: I should say, I’m not a total huel goon, I do cook for myself really. I just dislike it and find meal planning boring.

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 20, 2020

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Payndz posted:

A real "Ooh, this will sting him!" headline written by somebody who's evidently never seen Die Hard 2: Die Harder.

Toynbee AND Simon Jenkins both laying into Boris in the Guardian: if only there'd been an alternative PM that the paper could have got behind.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Yeah huel is surprisingly nice and not at all what I expected. Very mildly flavoured and mostly made of oats, nothing like a diet shake. I have chronic heartburn so it’s amazing to have something nutritionally complete that doesn’t trigger it. (Sorry to sound like a huel ad)

The newest version which came out recently seems to have improved the texture too. You can definitely eat cheaper, but for the effort and 'completeness' of it it's a great choice. Especially if you don't mind the idea that food is a fuel.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bread isn't something I would make because pasta subs in for it in like 90% of cases but the last time I tried I just put it in a tin and put the tin in the oven.

If you want specifically to make a sandwich then flatbreads keep a lot longer than regular bread.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 20, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Seems like something might be slowing your reaction times there...

I had my hands full at the actual time

plus punctuality and habitual weed use are p antithetical, I'd say any time plus or minus about an hour is good enough

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I like to cook and I can make easily things that are tastier and cheaper than ready made. But it's OK if you don't want to do that. Cooking for other people is also much more fun than cooking just for yourself - I'm not usually going to spend 3 hours on something that I'll eat on the sofa in my dressing gown watching YouTube when I could just put together something in 20 minutes.

OwlFancier posted:

I think Bobstar has an oven in the Netherlands rather than the type of oven called a Dutch oven, but maybe I misunderstood.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
2004 is European 420 anyway

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Sure. But there are still problems with buying simple ingredients. Like, given I don’t own a herb garden, if I want to make something with a bit of mint, I now have a huge packet of mint I have to use up on other recipes, or I have to make bulk meals (which needs huge pans, takes more prep time, it’s boring eating the same thing for multiple days, blah blah...) It makes infinitely more sense for a company or restaurant to make huge batches of meals that I can then buy, imo.

You can get a bunch of herbs for like 30p, or just buy a little plant, or use dried herbs, or make it into a sauce and freeze little cubes and add it back to the dish you're making at the time.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

In North America (or at least in Canada), I have discovered, ready meals are either poo poo or really expensive. I agree that for £1 to £3 in UK supermarkets you can get something between a perfectly serviceable and an actually really nice ready meal but that's not so here. Good ready meals do exist but I'd have to go to Whole Foods or Farm Boy, both of which are expensive. So I've found myself cooking a lot more. Puts American chefs into context a bit.

But yeah a lot of what you said there is still true. I personally enjoy cooking most of the time but I can absolutely understand people who don't. If I could actually just buy takeaway every day or have a personal chef or whatever and could end up with healthy, tasty meals for cheap, I absolutely would.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Algol Star posted:

You can get a bunch of herbs for like 30p, or just buy a little plant, or use dried herbs, or make it into a sauce and freeze little cubes and add it back to the dish you're making at the time.

yeah i have a bunc hof plastic containers of various frozen green herbs in my freezer - parsley, coriander, etc

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I remember some of the things I cooked for myself when I first moved away to uni and had to deal with feeding myself without my mum hovering anxiously over my shoulder making sure I was eating. I knew the basics of cooking - boiling potatoes and noodles, cooking chicken or mince in a pan til it's safely edible - but bloody hell I knew nothing about sauces and flavour. I'd have plain boiled egg noodles and a dry fried chicken breast with a bit of sweet chili sauce glopped over it, or pasta drowned in a jar of Dolmio, it was... basic at best.

Luckily my taste in men seems to require 'enjoys cooking' so I learned to cook interesting food from observing boyfriends and now my husband. I make a pretty decent risotto, because a) it has wine in it so I can sip some wine while cooking and b) you basically stir and poke it for twenty solid minutes til it's done, which perfectly suits my overly anxious personality.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you want something nice and simple to "bake" then I recommend:

1 bowl.
1 frying pan.
1 scales.
100g sugar.
250g flour.
100g butter.
1 egg.
Dried fruit, I like sultanas.

Mix flour and sugar together in bowl, cut butter into small pieces and rub it into the flour with your fingers until it goes like bread crumbs, make sure there's no big globs of butter hiding in the mix.

Add egg, mix in with your fingers again until you get a greasy dough, if it's still crumbly add milk or water in very small amounts until it all sticks together and doesn't lose pieces when you mush it up, but it isn't sloppy and soggy. Texture should be sort of like cooked pasta.

Add the fruit, as much as you like as long as it's still mostly dough, squash the dough together with the fruit until it's mixed through about evenly. Pull the dough into roughly even lumps and form them with your hands into discs about 1 to 1.5cm thick.

Put butter in a frying pan, make pan hot but not so hot the butter starts to burn, put the discs in the pan and let them sizzle, flip them over after a few minutes, keep doing that until they're nice and brown but not burned on the outside. They'll probably still be a little bit squishy on the inside but that's fine cos we live somewhere the eggs are safe to eat and this stops them drying out. The residual heat will cook the inside through anyway.

Put in a tupperware and see if you can figure out how long they will keep, my theory is about a week but I have not been able to test the hypothesis because I keep eating them first.

If you have lard or beef dripping you can use that to fry them in too, which I think is a little better but not everyone agrees.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 20, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Julio Cruz posted:

for some reason cookery seems to have an absurd amount of gatekeeping attached

like you can't go into GWS and ask a simple question without a page full of people telling you that your ingredients are poo poo and you should be only using this technique and you're generally a moron for even thinking about putting these two things in the same dish

In my experience this is Americans and hobbies in general. Gotta be as fancy as possible.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Goddammit goons.

Ok if anyone wants to learn how to make simple quick dishes from the italian tradition of easy and simple ingredients, nothing complicated, etc, let me know.

That most British people have no idea how to make a simple cremina is just sad.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

How the gently caress did Starmer win? What did you do?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Coohoolin posted:

That most British people have no idea how to make a simple cremina is just sad.

Google says this is a brand of coffee machine.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

oh but seriously I posted:

How the gently caress did Starmer win? What did you do?

Political exhaustion, everyone else sucked too, and Starmer had the strongest campaign ready.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never even heard of a cremina.

Is it that place the russians are invading?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

communism bitch posted:

yeah im baked right now

My baking nearly set the living room on fire this afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

I just disagree that gnocchi and sauce tastes better than every ready meal I can buy, sorry

In my family we have a 'secret' joke: this consists of my sister and I standing around a buffet table with obviously homemade quiches, pizzas etc on it and saying to each other in a sincere voice, "Why, homemade, so much better than shop bought don't you find?" followed by glares from mother who understands the joke perfectly.
This is because a lot of homemade quiches and especially homemade pizza do not taste half as nice as shop bought.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 20, 2020