Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Same here. It's basically the only reason I'm considering forking over $40 for VorpX, which is apparently made by a dipshit.

I would do other unholy things for New Vegas on Switch. I want to own my favorite RPG (and maybe game) of all time on a tiny little cart.

Man I would be so down for this. Someone get on the phone with Panic Button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

bony tony posted:

Dead Money is fun when you're playing melee or unarmed, so you can punch the zombies' heads off

I just went to Dead Money. I've pumped Unarmed, Explosives and Survival.
So that's Bear Trap Fists, Gas Bombs & Demolition Charges and Them's Good Eating.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Same here. It's basically the only reason I'm considering forking over $40 for VorpX, which is apparently made by a dipshit.

I would do other unholy things for New Vegas on Switch. I want to own my favorite RPG (and maybe game) of all time on a tiny little cart.

I think they might eventually do something like this. They're leaving too much money on the table otherwise. But I'd expect some bigger changes, especially graphically. That generation of Fallout games has aged much worse than Skyrim, which had the benefit of coming out at the end of the console gen, and a noticeably bigger budget.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I think they might eventually do something like this. They're leaving too much money on the table otherwise. But I'd expect some bigger changes, especially graphically. That generation of Fallout games has aged much worse than Skyrim, which had the benefit of coming out at the end of the console gen, and a noticeably bigger budget.

I dunno, they have things like turok on the switch, which I would argue has aged worse.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lord Lambeth posted:

I dunno, they have things like turok on the switch, which I would argue has aged worse.

That has a much more niche appeal. Not saying it's necessary, but it would make sense to me if they cleaned it up a bit. Plus your don't want your paid item shop items sticking out that much.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I also just finished replaying Dead Money. Feel like the griping about not having enough weapon skills relevant is vastly oversold. I went in energy weapons primary, and the holorifle is genuinely one of the best guns in the game. Even for the vanilla crowd who don't use anything which without powder & lead, the BAR is a devastating rifle which does damage per shot like a precision weapon but in full auto, and the police pistol is quite serviceable.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I have played FNV using VorpX and a PiMax 5k+. It's pretty engrossing and there are a lot fewer bugs than you might anticipate, that said I switched back to just using my regular display after a few hours. VorpX likes to just overwrite all your custom graphical settings whenever. You can reconfigure them, but it'll replace them with its own defaults eventually. Also if you're using ENB you have to use the injector version to work with VorpX and it's unstable to say the least.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

aniviron posted:

I also just finished replaying Dead Money. Feel like the griping about not having enough weapon skills relevant is vastly oversold. I went in energy weapons primary, and the holorifle is genuinely one of the best guns in the game. Even for the vanilla crowd who don't use anything which without powder & lead, the BAR is a devastating rifle which does damage per shot like a precision weapon but in full auto, and the police pistol is quite serviceable.

The Police Pistol also does extra limb damage, so it's (literally!) tailor-made to take out Ghost People. Plus if you down a ghost person without crippling a limb, you can just pop them in the head while they're down on the ground gangland style.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

aniviron posted:

The first few times I played through Dead Money I had very similar complaints; the villa being a pain to navigate, the weapons being sub-par unless you came pre-built, the collar bomb. But really, the more that I've played the more I can appreciate what they were trying to do with that stuff (and it doesn't hurt that as I've played multiple runs of New Vegas at this point my courier tends to be built "right" since I want to use the Protonic Inversal Axe anyway and don't need to be optimized for damage perks so I can grab Light Step and so on).

The things that irritate me about Dead Money now are little bits like having to jog back to the fountain through the villa again after starting the Gala and how easy it is to miss things like Dean's full backstory.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

The first few times I played through Dead Money I had very similar complaints; the villa being a pain to navigate, the weapons being sub-par unless you came pre-built, the collar bomb. But really, the more that I've played the more I can appreciate what they were trying to do with that stuff (and it doesn't hurt that as I've played multiple runs of New Vegas at this point my courier tends to be built "right" since I want to use the Protonic Inversal Axe anyway and don't need to be optimized for damage perks so I can grab Light Step and so on).

The things that irritate me about Dead Money now are little bits like having to jog back to the fountain through the villa again after starting the Gala and how easy it is to miss things like Dean's full backstory.

I like the return to the Fountain after the Gala. Sometimes I do what the graffiti says and run run run. Sometimes I meticulously kill every single Ghost Person in my way. It's fun.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

If you talk a bunch with Dog/God they have a couple of perks that make it way easier to navigate the sierra madre but I guess people just ignore that, especially on the first go around.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There were a lot of things to complain about in Dead Money, but the Ghost People could be dealt with by just knocking them down and then hacking them with a Cosmic Knife. Even if your Melee sucked it still worked

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I can't navigate for poo poo at the best of times so I spend 80% of Dead Money hideously lost.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I am wondering if graphics quality settings might substantially change how easy/hard it is to navigate Dead Money.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
If you have enough melee skill so you can do unique VATS animations, you can make the Ghost People fly into the air with your knife spear (you do the twirly ballerina move). Dead Money becomes survival comedy, because you can't take the enemies seriously when you've knocked one of them onto a rooftop, slapped their leg off, and given them boneitis at the same time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Discendo Vox posted:

I am wondering if graphics quality settings might substantially change how easy/hard it is to navigate Dead Money.

It does in as much as whatever my current settings are seem to break the low distance fog and it was both trivial to navigate around the villa and significantly less unsettling when you can see the ghost people just standing there next to the doorways on the other side of whatever courtyard you've wandered into

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

YggiDee posted:

I can't navigate for poo poo at the best of times so I spend 80% of Dead Money hideously lost.

My first Dead money run was an absolute headspin-fest and actually felt like OG Silent Hill sorta horror adventure in the best possible way. The next time I played it was still good but through the wonders of Repair and explosives, I just cakewalked the entire module just by explosives and occasional Police Pistol.

I always missed my .45 Autos, though.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I have gone through Honest Hearts about a half dozen times and never sided with Daniel and in my current playthrough, I finally did that. What a depressing ending, I don't think I will do that again.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Daniel is a huge loving idealist wuss and I don't blame anyone for siding against him.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"But what if my perfect babies learn violence and it corrupts them"

Listen bud, it's a hard world out there and people need to be able to protect themselves.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

bony tony posted:

"But what if my perfect babies learn violence and it corrupts them"

More than once it is stated that the New Canaanites are well versed in self-defense. Daniel is not the worse person you meet in this game, by a longshot, but it is hard to empathize with him and harder to agree with him.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 20, 2020

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Daniel’s concern isn’t with the Dead Horses, it’s his idea of them.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Daniel’s concern isn’t with the Dead Horses, it’s his idea of them.

I think you mean the Sorrows but you make a really good point about Daniel being concerned about an idea of the Sorrows rather the material conditions they have to live in. I think Ropekid posted once that to agree with Daniel you have to agree with his theology and how innocense plays into that.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Daniel's fuckin noble savage purity bullshit is terrible. Wouldn't be any better if he was actually coded as Asian, as I think was designed? But his route is downright worse overall for the Mojave and moreover it means you can't talk down Joshua at the end and get his actual good line.

"I want to have my revenge. Against him. Against Caesar. I want to call it my own, to make my anger God's anger. To justify the things I've done. Sometimes I tell myself these wildfires never stop burning, but I’m the one who starts them. Not God. Not them. I can always see it in my mind. The warmth, the heat. It will always be a part of me. But not today."

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

side_burned posted:

but it is hard to empathize with him and harder to agree with him.
I can empathize with him. The dude saw his family get slaughtered. He’s not right in the head.
Still makes him wrong.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
And he's also way over in his head too, that situation is all kinds of hosed already when you get there.

I only did it once for the achivement. That ratty bible is a depressing house reward.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
It's cringe-worthy to see 'choose your (ostensibly) white man missionary path' without some kind of option presented by the people in the story that should actually matter. Namely the tribals. Except they were largely formless blobs with some 'haha you talk funny' lines stapled on, used almost entirely as setpieces for Joshua to say some cool poo poo and wander off somewhere.

Like, the colonizer/white savior narrative in both scenarios was pretty fuckin' bad, but Daniel's was definitely way off the charts.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Honest Hearts was heavily inspired by The Mission, which presumes a state of existence where the colonizers have already hosed up the lives of the people they are ostensibly trying to help and are now trying to find a path out of it either through head-on violence or retreat. There were several things that went wrong during development (e.g. not being able to actually portray different ethnicities within the tribes due to texture memory limitations, Daniel being inexplicably set to Caucasian after I had designed him as and set his data to Asian). I think having a route out of Zion defined by Follows-Chalk and Waking Cloud would have been a great addition, though honestly I don't think there would have been time to develop it. Honest Hearts had the shortest dev cycle of the four main DLCs.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

rope kid posted:

Honest Hearts was heavily inspired by The Mission, which presumes a state of existence where the colonizers have already hosed up the lives of the people they are ostensibly trying to help and are now trying to find a path out of it either through head-on violence or retreat. There were several things that went wrong during development (e.g. not being able to actually portray different ethnicities within the tribes due to texture memory limitations, Daniel being inexplicably set to Caucasian after I had designed him as and set his data to Asian). I think having a route out of Zion defined by Follows-Chalk and Waking Cloud would have been a great addition, though honestly I don't think there would have been time to develop it. Honest Hearts had the shortest dev cycle of the four main DLCs.

Honest Hearts might be the dlc that keeps me coming back to replays every now and again, I think it's not as difficult as the rest of the dlc (perhaps because of the shortest dev cycle) but what's there always gave me a lot to think about, how I would do these things or how my character would.

How would that route go, if you don't mind sharing?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Honest Hearts was hands-down my favorite of the DLCs, even with the unfortunate limitations and the possibility of accidentally making everybody in the zone hostile to you in the first five minutes.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Yeah, you guys only had what, a month to work on it? Which honestly makes it astoundingly good for what it is.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Yeah, you guys only had what, a month to work on it? Which honestly makes it astoundingly good for what it is.

Jesus. Every time I hear about the New Vegas development timeline, I'm more impressed with what came out.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I don't think it's vitally important to determine exactly how it would go as much as it is to acknowledge that the people being "helped" have agency and voices of their own. Follows-Chalk and Waking Cloud are good characters, but they are followers of JG and Daniel more than drivers of the plotline.

Lawrence of Arabia was another inspiration for Honest Hearts because it's another example of a colonizer stepping in and trying to "help", but a difference between LoA and The Mission is that LoA has Sherif Ali (played by Omar Sharif) as a full participant in / objector to what's happening. The Mission and Mississippi Burning and, unfortunately, Honest Hearts all feature a pair of outsiders wrestling with moral quandaries to figure out what to do while the locals go, "Hmm, if you say so," quietly in the background.

Even the pidgin languages the tribes speak in Honest Hearts were just an attempt to keep costs down. All of the DLCs feature very few speaking characters because Fallout games have localized text and VO. That includes background characters and their reactive barks, so we made pidgin languages for the tribes so they wouldn't need to be re-recorded. Of course, the tribes were also supposed to be multi-ethnic, so you'd see white Dead Horses, black Dead Horses, etc. And again, Daniel was supposed to be Asian. It was incredibly frustrating to get halfway through production only to discover that making ethnic variants for every tribe would completely blow the already limited in-game memory limit. It wasn't a problem of "Ah, this will take more work," but, "The game will crash as soon as this area loads."

And it was white-hot inferno rage when I saw that the shipped version of Daniel had been set to Caucasian. I honestly don't know how or why it happened. Sometimes devs accidentally change data when editing something else and don't even realize they've changed something. For all I know it could have been me. In any case, the confluence of changes and omissions just resulted in it looking pretty bad.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't think it was quite that short, but it was brief. I think Avellone did a great job coordinating the four DLCs, but it did mean that it was a brisk relay race where we were handing off resources rapidly and there weren't large margins for errors. Dead Money gave resources to Honest Hearts and Honest Hearts gave resources to OWB and OWB gave resources to Lonesome Road.

I mean, the other common/big complaint about Honest Hearts is that the main questline is pretty dull. Again, that's my fault. On base F:NV, designers could and did design the craziest quests with the wildest scripting they could imagine. Many of those quests took 2 or 3 times longer to implement than original estimates -- or they got cut from the game entirely. On Honest Hearts I really did give a No Fun Allowed order for quests because I wanted them to have as little risk as possible.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The survivalist questline was pretty great even with those limitations you had

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The Survivalist content was extremely simple. I talked with John Gonzalez about the rough outline of Randall Clark's life, asked him to write a series of journal entries covering his life and personal arc, and ended it pointing to Red Gate where you find a really powerful unique weapon. Hooray!

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

I don't think it was quite that short, but it was brief. I think Avellone did a great job coordinating the four DLCs, but it did mean that it was a brisk relay race where we were handing off resources rapidly and there weren't large margins for errors. Dead Money gave resources to Honest Hearts and Honest Hearts gave resources to OWB and OWB gave resources to Lonesome Road.

I mean, the other common/big complaint about Honest Hearts is that the main questline is pretty dull. Again, that's my fault. On base F:NV, designers could and did design the craziest quests with the wildest scripting they could imagine. Many of those quests took 2 or 3 times longer to implement than original estimates -- or they got cut from the game entirely. On Honest Hearts I really did give a No Fun Allowed order for quests because I wanted them to have as little risk as possible.

I thought I'd hate the dlc before I played. It's one of my favourite pieces of gaming.

Thanks for the good job!

A friend of mine advocated it enough that I gave it a chance and bought it, any words for his perseverance and utter love of the dlc?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Honest Hearts is probably the portion of content that most suffers for how godawful that era of gamebryo looks and feels

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Basic Chunnel posted:

Honest Hearts is probably the portion of content that most suffers for how godawful that era of gamebryo looks and feels

Seriously.

I'd never heard of Zion National Park before Honest Hearts, and it's made me want to visit next time I have the chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I've heard it's made a lot of people visit Zion, which makes me very happy.

A couple of years ago a guy wrote to me from Zion telling me that Honest Hearts got him interested in seeing the park and that he had just become a park ranger there. It's legit one of the most satisfying things I've ever heard.