Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Once this first wave has passed, I think that domestic travel is going to start to come back fairly quickly, but it's going to take time to return to near-normal; the most pressing issue, after a few months of lockdown, is that you have a huge percentage of the pilot community who are now out of currency and recency - that's going to take a long time to work out of the system, probably a year or so.

International travel is gonna be hosed for a long time after that though, I'm gonna figure at least three or four years, but it too will come back in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.

e.pilot posted:

I broke you :getin:

I know some CFIs at my club at MYV that may be interested, we have a sim as well.

e: and a warrior for that matter.

Yeah, I think you got me with that ability to get down to the nice restaurant in the fog. I'm definitely jealous of having the ability to do so! I really need to find some way to take off the couple/few weeks it would take, and see how the "place to stay" would pencil out. Not sure how stupid it would be to have some kind of extended stay place. Might also be better to get completely proficient before the attempt, as I'm still stupidly afraid of myself. (For probably no reason, but having psychological barriers to overcome is nothing new to pilots)

I've been doing the King knowledge course while we're all 'rona'd indoors. Also did their GTN650/750 course, which is stupidly expensive for learning how to use a GPS, but also nice to actually get proficient with the thing. At least it has all been 21% off or better. I'm mad that I spent the GPS course money, but also glad and I'm going to share the knowledge by teaching it to my lil' 12 person club at RHV.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Better to be unsure and careful than be Jerry Wagner.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I bought a used GTN650 and GTX 345.

Will buy G5’s in May and have it all installed at that time.

Current avionics only price: 17K

Installed price: ?????

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have a day trip scheduled on the first!

I’m gonna fly a plane!

If they don’t cancel!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Captain Apollo posted:

If the shop's not open by then, fly me out and I'll install it for Room and Board ;)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Captain Apollo posted:

This with a flightstream 510 (install is very simple on that, it's an SD card) is what we had in the airplane I used to own. It was pretty sweet, I think you will be happy. There is something to be said for having ADSB IN running on certified equipment that won't overheat/go flat even if the GTN map screen is kinda cluttered and useless. I've been working on my IFR in that airplane and now in a rental with the same setup, it's probably ruined me for lesser equipment. It does feel extremely safe compared to a typical vacuum driven AI and DG/CDI panel.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

sanchez posted:

iPads die

Yeah I just said that to myself I didn’t want to rely only on an iPad if I’m around bad weather. I’ve been there done that.

I want my stress level to be as low as absolutely possible when flying and I don’t want technology slow me down.

Also, baby, when you coming son?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nice clean emergency landing on a highway outside Quebec City this morning

https://i.imgur.com/HhFooHH.mp4

also pictured: Quebec drivers

et voyons quoimanann espèce d'idiot hein? GET OFF DE ROAD, FUK, putain, tellement de bizard *HONK*

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

Oh man....the stories I have about the pavilion. I even got a $63 check from the class action lawsuit! Does the guy who runs the little convenience mart still end every sentence with the phrase "my friend?"

I lived in Western Springs when I was based at ORD so I never had the pleasure of The Pavilion, but I went there a few times and holla'd at the squalor. My pilot/FA ghetto experience comes from stints in crash pads in Middletown, PA, Arlington, TX and Kansas City, MO. Same family, different species.

Curious what the lawsuit entailed. Can you elaborate?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Sagebrush posted:

https://i.imgur.com/HhFooHH.mp4

also pictured: Quebec drivers

et voyons quoimanann espèce d'idiot hein? GET OFF DE ROAD, FUK, putain, tellement de bizard *HONK*

Did that guy seriously tailgate an airplane that dropped out of the sky in front of it then swerve around it and continue on?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

as noted: Quebec Drivers

"ouais maybe en Quebec you don'turn right on de red light, but tabarnac, i can still go right tru it!"

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Another highway emergency landing in Cincinnati earlier today:
https://twitter.com/CincyPD/status/1250821853519773702

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

greasyhands posted:

Did that guy seriously tailgate an airplane that dropped out of the sky in front of it then swerve around it and continue on?

Yes.

You've never been to Quebec, have you?

My first time in Montreal, the cab driver that took me from YUL into downtown did approximately 140 km/h through a construction zone with a posted speed limit of 60. Later, I was in a cab that was aggrieved the car in front of him was attempting to turn left. He remedied this untenable situation, which might have lasted literally tens of seconds, by passing said car, on the left, into oncoming traffic.

I cannot express how absolutely frightening Quebec/Montreal drivers are. I've been in major cities in the developing world with fewer traffic problems and better adherence to the rules of the road. But, you get used to it, and the incidence of people doing dumb poo poo like sitting at a green light face-down in their phone is low compared to Calgary, where half the drivers behave like they're on valium and the other half like they just smoked meth.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 17, 2020

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Sagebrush posted:

Any idea what caused this? The prop seems to be spinning even at speeds where windmilling shouldn't be a thing. I'm not sure what the other options were but having to land between two 40'-50' tall road signs with busy-ish traffic was probably a little sporty.

ausgezeichnet posted:

Curious what the lawsuit entailed. Can you elaborate?

"Adrian Alani, et al. v. FC Harris Pavilion Apartments Limited Partnership, et al.
Tenant-plaintiffs have asserted claims against defendants under: (1) the Chicago Residential Landlord-Tenant Ordinance (“RLTO”) Sections 5-12-070, 5-12-080, 5-12-110, and 5-12-140 and (2) other state statutory and common law, in connection with defendants’ practices concerning security deposit handling and disclosure, early lease termination disclosure, and maintenance and repair of the premises at the Pavilion Apartments in Chicago,
Illinois. The Class Period is from 1-1-2012 to 12-18-2015."

From what I can tell they were running a slum and charging tenants to fix problems that should have been taken care of by the Pavilions Maintenance. The place was a total dump, mold everywhere, frequent floods due to burst piping, central AC that got turned on way too late and off way too early, a prostitution ring being run out of one of the buildings, ect. I moved there while on first year regional FO pay. As soon as I was on second year pay and my lease was up I moved back to AZ. A few years after that I got a notice saying that because my name was on a lease and it was a class action suit and that I was entitled to money unless I wanted to opt out so I could sue them individually. A few months after that I got a $63 check in the mail.

KodiakRS fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 17, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KodiakRS posted:

Any idea what caused this? The prop seems to be spinning even at speeds where windmilling shouldn't be a thing. I'm not sure what the other options were but having to land between two 40'-50' tall road signs with busy-ish traffic was probably a little sporty.

News just says generic "mechanical problem"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/aircraft-makes-emergency-landing-quebec-city-1.5534384

quote:

Around 10:30 a.m. Thursday, the pilot of the Piper Cherokee aircraft called the Quebec City fire department asking for permission to land on the highway just a few kilometres south of the Jean-Lesage International Airport.

Quebec provincial police confirmed a mechanical problem forced the pilot to make the surprise landing.

"Asking for permission to land on the highway" must be the journalistic interpretation of the pilot declaring his choice of emergency landing site, because I can't imagine a situation where you need to land on a highway but are like oh, well, if the center says no go, I guess I'll go somewhere else. If they were only a few kilometers from the airport it must have been something pretty urgent.

Maybe it's just that Canadian politeness. "Hi there, tower, uh, if you got a moment, this is C-SORY, requesting clearance for mayday, thanks in advance"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

"Asking for permission to land on the highway" must be the journalistic interpretation of the pilot declaring his choice of emergency landing site, because I can't imagine a situation where you need to land on a highway but are like oh, well, if the center says no go, I guess I'll go somewhere else. If they were only a few kilometers from the airport it must have been something pretty urgent.

Maybe it's just that Canadian politeness. "Hi there, tower, uh, if you got a moment, this is C-SORY, requesting clearance for mayday, thanks in advance"

"Cherokee SORY cleared to land highway 40 east bound follow the grey yaris"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"C-SORY, possible pilot deviation, looks like you landed ahead of that Yaris you were supposed to follow. Exit the highway at Jean-Gauvin and contact ground point six for a number to copy"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Based on the stories I've heard I thought it might have been a class 1 instructor candidate on a flight test and an examiner who wanted to see a precautionary landing :v:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Joke all you want but I heard a Canadian pilot get a phone number to call from a Canadian controller a few years ago and I'll be damned if they both didn't use "soorry" in the transmission.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I was given miss approach instructions going into Cairo and it was prefaced with “Inshallah”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

KodiakRS posted:

Joke all you want but I heard a Canadian pilot get a phone number to call from a Canadian controller a few years ago and I'll be damned if they both didn't use "soorry" in the transmission.

The one time I heard that, buddy getting the phone number read to him was still trying to defend cutting straight through YYC's instrument approaches without so much as a contact. Very un-Canadian.

The, uh, controller was not in the mood to say sorry either, I promise you.

Bob A Feet posted:

I was given miss approach instructions going into Cairo and it was prefaced with “Inshallah”

Makes sense. Better on a missed approach instruction than a landing clearance :v:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

This rules tbh. Should be standard phraseology.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

This rules tbh. Should be standard phraseology.

Agreed. A very apt use of the term, I would say.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

KodiakRS posted:

A few months after that I got a $63 check in the mail.

Nothing better than unexpected returns from the pockets of assholes. FTW!

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

United is probably in the best position financially speaking to weather this virus downturn.

quote:

United Airlines lost more than $2 billion in the first quarter, a decline driven by the virtual stalling of the global airline industry in March, the company said in a securities filing on Monday.

The carrier said that it expected to receive access to a $4.5 billion loan from the Treasury Department under the economic relief law passed several weeks ago. United had already received about $5 billion from the federal government, mostly in grants intended to pay employees through September.

If United decides to draw down the loan, in exchange it will have to provide the Treasury with warrants giving it the right to buy stock in the company, as it already did for a portion of the funds to pay workers. The new warrants would allow the government buy a $450 million chunk of United, or 14.2 million shares at a price of $31.50 each.

In the first quarter, United earned $8 billion in revenue, a 17 percent decline from last year. The carrier also said it had $6.3 billion in cash on hand, including about $2 billion in undrawn credit.

The airline has cut its schedule by 80 percent in April and expects to cut it by 90 percent in May and June.

And they are utterly dependent on continued bailouts to survive. That is the only good news for aviation: the check is in the mail. Smaller airlines will collapse, others will be outright nationalized depending on how much bailout money they need.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

United being the only major US carrier to survive is a horrifying thought

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
So when you get the poo poo beaten out of you prior to being bumped off your flight next year, you get an officially endorsed Grade A American rear end beating handed out by a federal employee of a nationalized airline instead of a low pay rent-a-cop! How exciting!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TC gave me the go-ahead to e-mail them all my poo poo for my instructor rating upgrade!

At least when this poo poo is all over I won't have to deal with class 4 supervision requirements (if I still have a job...)

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

TC gave me the go-ahead to e-mail them all my poo poo for my instructor rating upgrade!

At least when this poo poo is all over I won't have to deal with class 4 supervision requirements (if I still have a job...)

The job of a Class 3 instructor is an order of magnitude better than Class 4, albeit still pretty lovely. By now you have a reasonable idea of how to teach and don't need someone constantly micromanaging your poo poo, so its nice to have the powers-that-be back off a bit. That being said, don't be afraid to keep using those resources. I did some time as a Class 2 and was always more than happy to have frank closed-door conversations, offer second opinions, or even go on non-required supervisory flights if and when the situation warranted - but it would be up to the Class 3 to ask, I wasn't going to insert myself into your business the same way as I did with the Class 4s. Plus you're a shitton more marketable if you do get laid off.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

hobbesmaster posted:

United being the only major US carrier to survive is a horrifying thought

Disagree, just think of all the houses and boats I could eventually buy.
It would never happen tho, Delta has a better financial position I feel like. AA is probably hosed but government bailout so who knows.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I can’t wait for American Airlines to fail.

Card carrying Southwest Airlines supporter here.

Wonder why no goon pilots fly for southwest hrmmmm

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Having any major US airline fail is going to suck for everybody. If it happens then in a year or two, when the world is no longer insane, someone is going to start up another airline like Virgin America or JetBlue and hire a bunch of unemployed, experienced pilots for pennies on the dollar and undercut everyone else.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It would be smart for airlines to offer vouchers for cancelled travel. I know I will travel again, just don't know when. Brussels airlines did this for me; Czech Airlines tried to get me to reschedule and then charge me more because it's more expensive at that time of year :rolleyes:. I don't even know when to reschedule to because who loving knows? United gave me a refund although I would have taken a voucher cause again, gotta travel.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I like Delta

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Charles posted:

It would be smart for airlines to offer vouchers for cancelled travel. I know I will travel again, just don't know when. Brussels airlines did this for me; Czech Airlines tried to get me to reschedule and then charge me more because it's more expensive at that time of year :rolleyes:. I don't even know when to reschedule to because who loving knows? United gave me a refund although I would have taken a voucher cause again, gotta travel.

The last person you want to be when corporations are collapsing left and right is the guy who owns vouchers, gift cards, miles, etc from said corporations.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

I like Delta

Peep delta

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Delta is fine which is the highest compliment a US carrier can receive.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

Delta is fine which is the highest compliment a US carrier can receive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
What’s the best airline in the world that isn’t subsidized by their government? (Care act notwithstanding)

And don’t say Southwest you low expectation having motherfu*kers.