Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Charliegrs posted:

I think I remember the last time oil plummeted some genius decided to hoard a bunch of cheap gas in containers in their garage. Naturally it all exploded.

I’m pretty sure that was an episode of Its Always Sunny

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Invest in the barrel making industry.

Can we, like, make a big vinyl precursor buy or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I'm sorry capitalism is a caricature of itself now. Were all living in the poverty action version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

"Remember me, Eddie? When I killed your economy? I talked just....like.....THISSSS!"

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Triskelli posted:

I’mma make a bold statement and say that nobody who wears a skull bandanna is “unaffiliated”

Gonna take a wild guess here, let me know if I’m close or not; these guys are Nazis, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The reason it's happening today this is the last day to trade contracts for May

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Why is this happening so rapidly? This seems like an eminently foreseeable problem that could have been priced in gradually. Is it just that commodities traders are just starting to notice it?

end of contracts for May + storage is full

oil is worthless because the market is so flooded with supply there's nowhere to put more oil

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

HONG KONG SLUMLORD posted:

Gonna take a wild guess here, let me know if I’m close or not; these guys are Nazis, right?

They are absolutely Nazis who think they are "patriots"

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So if we get into a war right now with Iran will it increase the price of oil to a whopping $10 bucks a barrel?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Dick Trauma posted:

But what does this mean for the price of Vaseline? :ohdear:

You could literally spend your life savings on it right now and become a vaseline baron and live off the greasy gold.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ericbolling/status/1252304677858918400?s=20

Chuds seem to think quarantines did this and not idiotic oil policy out of Russia, KSA, and Donny's big brain.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Pick posted:

The reason it's happening today this is the last day to trade contracts for May

Fritz the Horse posted:

end of contracts for May + storage is full

oil is worthless because the market is so flooded with supply there's nowhere to put more oil

Got it. Didn't understand that futures contracts happen in one day bursts like this.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
lol that iran is going to be an actively nuclear state by the time the US remotely extracts itself from quarantines and economic collapse. Nice

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
watching the cnbc ticker is like seeing a pair of neutron stars inspiraling

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/?symbol=@CL.1

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

All of these loving dorks are just looking for a reason to murder someone.

The deep vein of psychosis that runs through American conceptualization of patriotism is loving perverse and dangerous. Scary poo poo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

IBroughttheFunk posted:

"Remember me, Eddie? When I killed your economy? I talked just....like.....THISSSS!"

For real tho.....this is like, The economy was already intubated in the icu for several days and it just had a massive heart attack.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
How does a thing trade for negative dollars?

*Burns Econ degree*

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Got it. Didn't understand that futures contracts happen in one day bursts like this.

I think they've been running for a month or so, but this is just the last day and everybody had been speculating on a price rise and hadn't actually planned on buying it, and now are panic selling. So like ebay flippers sitting on a garage full of worthless poo poo they planned on flipping, except with the oil market.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

I remember there was an ask/tell type thing with a guy who went to oil school or something. He and his buddy had purchased a used oil well - basically they idea is companies only go for the easiest to get oil out of the ground and move somewhere else the moment the flow starts to decrease. This dude was like: I'ma pump out the rest and make millions!! Wonder how that guy ever made out

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

and the reasons there is so much supply right now are a combination of KSA deliberately flooding the market to hurt Russia (and US shale fracking) plus demand cratering due to covid

now seems like a bad time to be a petrostate

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
If it goes below -$50 does that mean the actual barrel is free too?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
"gently caress"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Push El Burrito posted:

I bet the barrel itself is probably worth more than one penny. We'll make a killing!

we could just pour all the oil out behind shoppingtown mall in dewitt new york.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
https://www.tradingview.com/x/kujxPjKQ/

That drop 0_o

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The fundamentals of the economy are proper hosed as well, is what this indicates.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

All of these loving dorks are just looking for a reason to murder someone.

The deep vein of psychosis that runs through American conceptualization of patriotism is loving perverse and dangerous. Scary poo poo.

These geeks wouldn't shoot anyone. It's easier to get an AK in a lot of states than it is to get fireworks. They got what they wanted, they got to look like big scary Patriots for the cameras but I bet barely even 1% of them would actually use those guns to "liberate" anything. They just want people to be afraid, and unfortunately the media is letting them get what they want

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

the division 2 is real and the loving true sons just showed up.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Fritz the Horse posted:

and the reasons there is so much supply right now are a combination of KSA deliberately flooding the market to hurt Russia (and US shale fracking) plus demand cratering due to covid

now seems like a bad time to be a petrostate

I know it won't, but it'd be delightful if the Saudi royal family's oil war ends up accidentally decapitating it.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lol that iran is going to be an actively nuclear state by the time the US remotely extracts itself from quarantines and economic collapse. Nice
Well, the quarantine IS going to end any day now...

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Slowpoke! posted:

*Burns Econ degree*

Imagine you’ve stockpiled turnips in Animal Crossing, and they’re about to start rotting... you need to unload them but Tom Nook will come seize your house if he finds rotting turnips in there, so you’re out like a billion bells if he seizes your house because you haven’t paid it off and you’ve been farming money trees on credit this whole time, but you decided to get into turnips..
e:
TimeOil works the same way

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Chuds seem to think quarantines did this and not idiotic oil policy out of Russia, KSA, and Donny's big brain.

Trump will panic and declare everything must open now and try to override the states and basically neuter a governors power over their own states.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Slowpoke! posted:

*Burns Econ degree*

You have too much of thing and nowhere to put it but more thing just keeps coming in and you can't stop it right away.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

ewiley posted:

Imagine you’ve stockpiled turnips in Animal Crossing, and they’re about to start rotting... you need to unload them but Tom Nook will come seize your house if he finds rotting turnips in there, so you’re out like a billion bells if he seizes your house because you haven’t paid it off and you’ve been farming money trees on credit this whole time, but you decided to get into turnips..

Time works the same way

Okay but this time explain it in Witcher 3 terms with crowns and Gwent cards.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I remember this book called The Money Tree that was supposed to teach young teenage boys about financial planning, and the book ends with him forgetting to sell a corn future and ending up a truck dumping a literal ton of corn on his lawn.

Anyway.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ewiley posted:

e:
TimeOil works the same way

This makes sense to me now

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Why is this happening so rapidly? This seems like an eminently foreseeable problem that could have been priced in gradually. Is it just that commodities traders are just starting to notice it?

"the economy is going to rebound in may! it's still good! it's still good!!!"

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the division 2 is real and the loving true sons just showed up.

I just posted a SS from Div2 standing in front of a "The Virus is a Hoax!" graffiti.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Trump hasn’t said anything about oil prices yet.....

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Charliegrs posted:

These geeks wouldn't shoot anyone. It's easier to get an AK in a lot of states than it is to get fireworks. They got what they wanted, they got to look like big scary Patriots for the cameras but I bet barely even 1% of them would actually use those guns to "liberate" anything. They just want people to be afraid, and unfortunately the media is letting them get what they want

they pretty routinely shoot themselves, their families, and/or randos they get in drunken brawls with

and there are a few who get up the gumption to do a terrorism

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Charliegrs posted:

If oil is in the negative does that mean gas will be negative? Will they pay us to fill up our tanks?

Serious answer is no, the actual cost of materials is only a portion of the price of gas. But since there might be some storage space left for gasoline, there's a real possibility of cranking out more gas while that's cheap .80 to .90 a gallon is a real possibility.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

If it drops any lower the US is going to let the Middle East and South America choose their own leaders
:gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Charliegrs posted:

I'm aware how easy it is to get those guns--I live in SC.

That is what people thought about dickheads like Dylann Roof and here we are.

Don't make the mistake of minimizing the danger these assholes and the tenets of their death cult pose to the rest of us.

Look at that loving neckbeard James whatever in Charlottesville who jumped in his Challenger and mowed a bunch of people down.

They are cowards looking for opportunities to feast like lions.