Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's a unit of measurement equal to 42 gallons. So you need a 42k gallon tank.

I can't just buy one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Proud Christian Mom posted:

right now if you showed up with empty gallon milk jugs theyd let you fill them just to make it your problem and not theirs

I keep getting told by soldiers that deployed to Kuwait/Afghanistan/Iraq that oil spills were never really a big deal. They just shoved whatever oil leak was there into the sand "to return it from whence it came". Of course that was against the law/regulations/policies, but I'm guessing if this goes on long enough, nearby Oklahoma locations are going to have enough oil spills to turn the whole drat state into a HAZMAT site.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I'm just sick of Alberta whining about absolutely everything like a bunch of spoiled babies.

:same:

Alberta really feels like Canada's Ohio sometimes (everyone tries to get the gently caress out if they have no desire to work in oil).

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

facialimpediment posted:

I keep getting told by soldiers that deployed to Kuwait/Afghanistan/Iraq that oil spills were never really a big deal. They just shoved whatever oil leak was there into the sand "to return it from whence it came". Of course that was against the law/regulations/policies, but I'm guessing if this goes on long enough, nearby Oklahoma locations are going to have enough oil spills to turn the whole drat state into a HAZMAT site.

with the EPA basically turning a blind eye to everything it wouldn't surprise me to see storage go up in flames to collect insurance

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I can't just buy one?

Usually when you buy "oil" you're buying a share of an "electronically traded fund" which means that you're actually buying something from someone offering to take care of all those pesky issues for you.

Those people seem to be in trouble!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Futures are basically video game preorders you can buy and sell freely except the value of your preorder fluctuates based on the market.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

Mustang posted:

I met a lot of dudes in the Army talking about getting out and working in the oil industry in Texas, both enlisted and some officers. One of them is a CPT getting out in 3 months that had told me he's got a finance job lined up with some oil company the last time I talked to him in FEB.

Wonder how those guys are doing now.

There was a fairly industry wide hiring freeze when the KSA / RUS price war started, and once China shut down for Covid the lay offs began, haven’t slowed down since. Downstream workers have more job security than those in the field, but after what I’m seeing today it’s going to be a tough week for a lot of folks in O&G.

ganglysumbia fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 20, 2020

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

Con: this will likely stunt the development of renewable/clean energy technologies for the near/medium term

Pro: lol

https://twitter.com/business/status/1252282516154744834?s=19

Edit: it just hit $4 and apparently China is reporting $3/barrel. I WILL DO ANYTHING TO SELL THIS BARREL OF CRUDE

Is it bad that I feel a bit of schadenfreude for the big oil companies who were reporting record profits a decade ago at ~$140/barrel while we even paid $4/gallon for unleaded in Bumfuck, Ohio?

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Is it bad that I feel a bit of schadenfreude for the big oil companies who were reporting record profits a decade ago at ~$140/barrel while we even paid $4/gallon for unleaded in Bumfuck, Ohio?

The majors are going to buy the assets of all these small producers that can’t afford these prices, like usual it’s the guys at the bottom of the totem pole that will be eating poo poo.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Demand has been slacking for years as countries realize the value of renewables. Solar and wind available kW has doubled again and again. It always was a house of cards, and artificially strangling supply for the rest of forever was never going to viable forever - see fracking and otherwise.

Will we suddenly see the resurgence of cheap muscle cars and fuel oil plants? Maaaybe, but the reality is that two entire generations have grown up under the shadow of sky high gas prices. When fuel prices see a surge again, it's not going to be the sky high prices that it was. While oil is still an important and valuable commodity, it's solely being replaced as the sole source of things like plastics, lubicrants, and energy generation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I can't just buy one?

the price that went negative is the may futures contract. each contract is for 1000 barrels or 42k gallons. so when they drop to -35/barrel that means that someone paid someone else $35k to go pick up 42k gallons of oil next may in Cusking, OK.

It's the equivalent of the Texans trading a 2nd and Brock Osweiler to the Browns just to get his contract off their books.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Alberta really feels like Canada's Ohio sometimes (everyone tries to get the gently caress out if they have no desire to work in oil).

That's what they get for changing the devonian gardens

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

It would not surprise me in the slightest if people start thinking "I'll buy barrels and keep gas in my garage *just in case*," not reasoning that 1) that's extremely dangerous, and 2) even using a stabilizing agent, gasoline only keeps for like 6-8 months.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Buy diesel

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Buy beautiful clean coal. Lasts forever!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It would not surprise me in the slightest if people start thinking "I'll buy barrels and keep gas in my garage *just in case*," not reasoning that 1) that's extremely dangerous, and 2) even using a stabilizing agent, gasoline only keeps for like 6-8 months.

"The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis, Again"

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Not sure in other areas, but here gas dropped about 70 cents and has stayed there hovering right at 1.58 or so. Diesel started at 2.49 and is now 2.46.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ganglysumbia posted:

The majors are going to buy the assets of all these small producers that can’t afford these prices, like usual it’s the guys at the bottom of the totem pole that will be eating poo poo.

i assume it's gonna be real bad for oil workers and their communities

at least fewer, bigger companies will be easier to nationalize

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 20, 2020

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Doc Hawkins posted:

i assume it's gonna be real bad for oil workers and their communities

at least fewer, bigger companies will be easier to nationalize

Businesses are going to be toast because they're leveraged to their eyeballs with junk bond-grade debt.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/business/energy-environment/coronavirus-oil-companies-debt.html

quote:

Interest rates were low, and investors embraced the riskier debt that energy companies typically issued with the promise of higher returns. In the last 18 years, energy companies were among the largest issuers of junk bonds on Wall Street, according to analysis from JPMorgan Chase. In 10 of the last 11 years, energy companies were the single largest junk bond borrowers.

That borrowing binge meant that by 2014, almost all investors in junk bonds were heavily exposed to the fate of these companies. Since 2016, when oil prices began to drop, 208 North American producers have filed for bankruptcy involving $121.7 billion in aggregate debt, according to the Haynes and Boone’s Oil Patch Bankruptcy Monitor report released in late January. That means many investors in those bonds lost their principal. But debt offered by the companies that did survive the bust still accounts for more than 10 percent of the junk bond market.
----------
At the same time, major bills are coming due. North American oil exploration and production companies have $86 billion in debt that will mature between 2020 and 2024, and pipeline companies have an additional $123 billion in debt coming due over the same period, according to Moody’s.

Chesapeake Energy has $192 million of bonds coming due in August. With debt of $9 billion, the company is almost out of cash and has hired restructuring advisers, Reuters reported. Another company at risk is Whiting Petroleum, focused on the North Dakota Bakken shale, which has roughly $1 billion of debt coming due over the next year.

Among those hit hardest from the latest oil price plunge and pullback in exploration and production activity will be oil service and drilling companies such as Halliburton, Schlumberger and General Electric’s Baker Hughes, along with hundreds of smaller companies. The oil field services sector in North America faces high financing risk with $32 billion of debt maturing between 2020 and 2024 — roughly two-thirds of which was issued by smaller, more speculative companies — according to Moody’s Investor Service.

But the entire energy industry is adjusting. Parsley Energy, a leading West Texas oil and gas producer, has devised its 2020 capital budget assuming that oil prices will be in the range of $30 to $35 for the remainder of the year. It is reducing its capital budget by more than 40 percent to under $1 billion and reducing salaries of its executive officers by at least 50 percent compared with last year. It has already reduced drilling and fracking crews and it plans to cut some more.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
there are a lot of secondary and tertiary industries that will be devastated by the drop in oil. haulers, vac trucks, rod fishers, etc etc this will ripple out and cripple a lot of small/medium specialized businesses

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the assets alot of these production companies have, actual oil producing acreage, is loving worthless right now and they were paying upto $80k an acre not even 2 years ago. its basically the housing crisis, but in the energy sector.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

its basically the housing crisis, but in the energy sector.

This is a terrifying description which will wake me in the night.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
Weird question. Could a theoretical Green actor (government, non-profit, philanthropist whatever) try to buy up these temporarily hosed assets/drilling rights and just sit on them even as demand returns to normal?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Sarern posted:

This is a terrifying description which will wake me in the night.

But without predatory banks having taken advantage of consumers, who will Rick Santelli blame?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Stultus Maximus posted:

But without predatory banks having taken advantage of consumers, who will Rick Santelli blame?

Nurses and free clinics, probably.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/TPM/status/1252...mber%3D967pti12

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mods, a question: If the GOP was a forums poster would they be probated for wishing death on their own voter base?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The numbers in the oil industry basically just defy belief in the normal world. My last "oilfield" job was supervising the building of a new drill ship in a yard in South Korea. The price for the rig was @$750,000,000. There were 14 rigs being built in that yard at the same time. There were 3 yards that size in South Korea building the same number of rigs. The yards were running flat out and had been for about 5 years. [takes about a year to build a drill ship].

Those rigs were going out drilling on day contracts of between $750k to $1000K. They were booked up for years in advance.

The last big crash in oil price dropped it to about $20 a barrel and most of those rigs got left in the yard as drilling companies simply walked away and took the hit of having billions of dollars of assets suddenly be worth nothing.

I have tried many times to just explain to people just exactly how stupid the numbers are in oil and gas but it's really hard to get your head round. For example;

The first place I worked on offshore North sea was a platform that collected all the gas produced from other satellite platforms, compressed it and sent it ashore. When it came online the gas sent in paid for the whole project in six weeks. Every aspect of that project from someone having the idea to the thing being turned on. The byproduct of the gas, called condensate, paid for the running of the whole edifice including salary of the workers, food, fuel, helicopter flights, standby boats, etc.

I worked on a rig in Brazil that was drilling on $500k/day. If the TV went down so the local labour couldn't watch football, the day rate went to $0.

A rubber gasket for an admittedly very important piece of equipment cost 20k. Every time they broke the joints that these protected they had to be replaced. There were 12. They got replace monthly. There was only one manufacturer.

I know this pales into insignificance against the military but oil going to negative numbers is going to hit a lot of people VERY HARD INDEED.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Make money off of something besides mako

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

with the EPA basically turning a blind eye to everything it wouldn't surprise me to see storage go up in flames to collect insurance

you know all of the EPA regulations are not in effect right now, just like usda food inspections are off as well

:911:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mods, a question: If the GOP was a forums poster would they be probated for wishing death on their own voter base?

They'd have been permabanned long before it got to this point.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fallom posted:

Make money off of something besides mako

someone who is good at the environment please help me budget this.
my planet is dying

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

McNally posted:

They'd have been permabanned long before it got to this point.

I mean, I'm assuming this wasn't true for purposes of the question.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Handsome Ralph posted:

<:reject:>

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

I mean, I'm assuming this wasn't true for purposes of the question.

Well, in this case it's both targeted and specific and is also more akin to instructions to people who are likely to follow them. So yeah, I think so.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

I can only imagine how it must be now that the EPA gives no fucks but when I worked in the oilfield in the gulf of mexico in the late 90's the smaller platforms were always up to poo poo. I went to one every couple weeks that we always delivered a 55g drum of rig soap to (think like 4x concentrated Dawn detergent). They were always throwing soap around the rig to prevent the constant steady leaks of oil from making a slick which helicopters / boats could see and would have to report. This was a Whiting petroleum rig iirc but there were like 5 other ones that got to visit personally.

It's gotta be loving nuts out there now. The only reason they were even dumping soap back then was to not get an EPA fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Not sure in other areas, but here gas dropped about 70 cents and has stayed there hovering right at 1.58 or so. Diesel started at 2.49 and is now 2.46.

Diesel stays high due to highway taxes aim at semis.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Here's some amusing covid news

Our leader of the opposition came out swinging on facebook and... scroll through the comments. He gets absolutely annihilated.

https://www.facebook.com/202557943109716/posts/3208761919155955/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Christ I wish that fuckwit was the minority here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Christ I wish that fuckwit was the minority here

Not sure where "here" is, but the protestors are in the hella minority.

https://www.abc27.com/news/us-world/national/polls-indicate-protestors-in-minority-opinion-toward-shelter-in-place-regulations/

quote:

Quinnipiac found that almost 70% of Republicans favor shelter-in-place at the national level, while more than 80% of Americans are in favor across party lines.

Navigator research found that just 17% of Republicans felt that we should relax social distancing, with just 9% of Americans in favor across parties.

Morning Consult has found that 74% of voters support national shelter in place, with the potential measure getting 72% support from Republicans and 81% support from Democrats.