Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Pollyanna posted:

Any tips or guides on negotiating? When (if) this pandemic is over, I’m gonna start interviewing again, and I wanna make sure I don’t get stiffed on compensation. 5 years experience is enough to start demanding the high end for salaries.

Check the negotiation thread over in BFC.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Pollyanna posted:

Any tips or guides on negotiating? When (if) this pandemic is over, I’m gonna start interviewing again, and I wanna make sure I don’t get stiffed on compensation. 5 years experience is enough to start demanding the high end for salaries.

"Negotiating Your Salary: How To Make $1000 a Minute" worked well for me.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

barkbell posted:

Is it though?

I mean less, not like not.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

lifg posted:

"Negotiating Your Salary: How To Make $1000 a Minute" worked well for me.

Me too. Some of the specific examples feel kind of out of touch for modern computer touching work but the principles held up great.

One thing I recently had emphasized to me the hard way was that if they insist on getting an early number from you and you’re comfortable walking away, just throw out something stupidly high and put the ball back in their court.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Do you have 5 years of experience? ISTR you job hopping a lot.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xarn posted:

Do you have 5 years of experience? ISTR you job hopping a lot.

I have had 5+ years of working at okay-to-not-great companies, yes. I’ve grown a lot over the past few years.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Just be careful not to be the person who ended up having 1 year of experience 10 times then :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, I’m really not at all. The amount of new responsibilities, experiences, and project deliveries in the past year alone has outweighed all the stuff I’ve done between 2014-2018.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

One day I will get to work at a tech company and be wanted, rather than always be seen as a cost and burden :sigh:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

Oh man, I’m really not at all. The amount of new responsibilities, experiences, and project deliveries in the past year alone has outweighed all the stuff I’ve done between 2014-2018.

Good to hear. I am currently trying to mentor coworker who ended up with 2 years but 15 times and ot hurts. :suicide:

asur
Dec 28, 2012
All the advice for negotiating basically boils down to BATNA and that can be summed up as either have a job that you are perfectly ok staying at or get multiple offers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/manicode/status/1246497036389793792

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I took two, count em TWO, COBOL courses in college. My time to shine baby!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

kloa posted:

I took two, count em TWO, COBOL courses in college. My time to shine baby!

you easily know more about COBOL than 99.99% of the population

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I used to work for a company that had a major system in place since the 60s that they had failed at modernization 3 times.

It was COBOL , and anytime they needed to make changes they hired contractors at 400 /hr to do it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

asur posted:

All the advice for negotiating basically boils down to BATNA and that can be summed up as either have a job that you are perfectly ok staying at or get multiple offers.
That's maybe 30% of it? That improves the risk calculus in your favor, but doesn't change the value side of the equation. The hard part of BATNA is knowing how to shift someone's perception of the opportunity cost of not hiring you. This anchoring happens through the entire process, and starts long before they've formalized the decision about whether or not to make you an offer.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’ve been charged with delivering an ongoing pull request status report for my team - throughput, time to merge, staleness, etc.
I already use Pull Panda but I’m wondering if there’s a good way to automate generating a report. Has anyone done something like this?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

dantheman650 posted:

I’ve been charged with delivering an ongoing pull request status report for my team - throughput, time to merge, staleness, etc.
I already use Pull Panda but I’m wondering if there’s a good way to automate generating a report. Has anyone done something like this?

I bet that codeclimate velocity can do that. Very impressed with it.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I just saw that Basecamp pays bay area salaries and yet most everyone works remote. Are there any other companies like this?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I looked at their comp page and they include bonus in their market target, but it says they don't do RSUs. Does that mean that basecamp's salary takes other companies' RSU grants into account, or do they only attempt to match salary+bonus? If it's the latter, tons of companies meet your bar because at faangs, RSUs are a huge chunk of your income

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
It’s the latter.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Ah yeah in that case you're mostly just looking for any remote work, because what they're actually offering isn't near as competitive as it sounds. GitHub ticks your boxes though, pays well and is all-remote. I'd be surprised if a basecamp offer beat a GitHub offer these days (but am open to being wrong of course)

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I see. Even so, I think base salaries are going to be a lot higher than what I'm making now (102k with 5.5 yrs exp in the midwest).

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
You should look at Salesforce

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Doghouse posted:

I just saw that Basecamp pays bay area salaries and yet most everyone works remote. Are there any other companies like this?

The vast majority of remote work pays bay area salaries, with the exceptions being tiny startups (but equity) + stupid places run by pretentious assholes like Buffer and Gitlab who pride themselves on being stupid as poo poo.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

The vast majority of remote work pays bay area salaries, with the exceptions being tiny startups (but equity) + stupid places run by pretentious assholes like Buffer and Gitlab who pride themselves on being stupid as poo poo.

I've found that remote work pays somewhere near the median. Most companies will try to compete locally, so paying the wages for where you currently live, but substantially less than in-office jobs. As a > 10 year industry veteran, I took around a $40k paycut to work from home vs my potential if I had been willing to apply for in-office jobs.

But $40k less is worth it to me.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

I've found that remote work pays somewhere near the median. Most companies will try to compete locally, so paying the wages for where you currently live, but substantially less than in-office jobs. As a > 10 year industry veteran, I took around a $40k paycut to work from home vs my potential if I had been willing to apply for in-office jobs.

But $40k less is worth it to me.

You can't really make FAANG 300k+ TC remotely, but you can do 200-300k TC pretty easy. I will straight up reject companies that offer to pay me local rates*. I moved to a low CoL area because I want to live here, not to save money, and not because I don't have options -- gently caress You Pay Me. Anyway by rejecting companies way out of band, you can help them realize their competition is literally every other company and not whoever is hiring is Bumfuck, Missouri.

*That's not quite true -- big companies will often put you in a regional bucket -- so like yeah I know I could make 5-10% more if I lived in SF, but I make 2-4x (no joke) the local rate.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

...you can do 200-300k TC pretty easy...I make 2-4x (no joke) the local rate...

Whoa. Time for me to get out the ol' resume.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

kayakyakr posted:

I bet that codeclimate velocity can do that. Very impressed with it.

Thank for you this! I’ve been using it for about a week now and it does everything I wanted and a whole lot more. It’s free for teams of under 10 as well, so this was a hit with management.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

It seems like a lit of these remote companies have unlimited PTO. It seems uncomfortable to me, but in practice, could I take, like, 40 vacation days in year? Or would they start being unhappy with me at 30? Or less?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Doghouse posted:

It seems like a lit of these remote companies have unlimited PTO. It seems uncomfortable to me, but in practice, could I take, like, 40 vacation days in year? Or would they start being unhappy with me at 30? Or less?

The trick is that you have unlimited PTO as long as your manager approves it so you have no PTO

Sign
Jul 18, 2003

Doghouse posted:

I've got unlimited I've been taking ~25 days a year no questions asked. I suspect if you asked my boss he wouldn't even know how much I'm taking. A friend who is a manager at the same place asked some opinions about what to do with a guy on his team who was taking 40.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Doghouse posted:

This is going to be a case by case basis, but the statistics say that companies with unlimited PTO find their employees taking less time off than accrued PTO. I'm sure the driving factors are numerous. It'll be at the whims of the company culture, your manager, your manager's manager, etc. And even if it's good and chill now, that could change in the future.

I think a healthy skepticism of unlimited PTO policies is warranted when job searching. It's really hard to know ahead of time what that actually means for a given company.

I still think the best time off policies are separate (and generous) pools of vacation and sick time. No combined PTO, no "unlimited". They are schemes cooked up by employers that sound good on the surface but that ultimately cause people to take less time off.

Also note that "unlimited" vacation never accrues any sort of balance, so the company doesn't carry that liability on their books. It also means that if you leave the company for whatever reason, you won't have any banked vacation to get paid out.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 27, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone here have any experience with negotiating for a reduced schedule? Like, let's say I want to work a 4-day work week (and not a "4 10s" schedule, actually working less per week). I'd be willing to accept 80% compensation but would want full benefits. I've heard of people negotiating that after they'd already been working at the company for awhile, with a sympathetic manager, but not going for it in the hiring process.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with negotiating for a reduced schedule? Like, let's say I want to work a 4-day work week (and not a "4 10s" schedule, actually working less per week). I'd be willing to accept 80% compensation but would want full benefits. I've heard of people negotiating that after they'd already been working at the company for awhile, with a sympathetic manager, but not going for it in the hiring process.

You might find success at a smaller company, especially if you have a connection.

I think it's going to be a very hard sell in the interview process at a large company, unless you are somehow a very special candidate.

Alternatively, you could likely do it contracting but that's a different can of worms.

cliffy
Apr 12, 2002

Doghouse posted:

It’s a gimmick designed to keep you from using too much PTO out of fear.

It also removes the need to pay out to employees with a bunch of accrued vacation time when leaving a company in locales with decent labor laws.

Personally I’d be up front about how much PTO I intend to take each year and stick to it. 40 days is not unreasonable if you’re consistently productive.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Doghouse posted:

unlimited PTO

We have a calendar. If you're taking off X, you put it on the calendar. We have no formal approval process that I'm aware of. Generally as a courtesy if you're taking more than three days off in a row you tell somebody.

I know other companies have more strict stuff

In a decade of stuff, I've only had one PTO request denied ever. For a quasi-good reason, I'd already taken 2 of my 3 weeks in the first half of the year and I have three projects coming up later that month that I would be lead on and the manager wanted me to ship on time for political reasons. Generally it is a bad idea to deny PTO as that person starts under performing, plus they tell all their coworkers about it. It's worse than a rumor, because it's 100% true and verifiable (bob was supposed to go on that beach vacation with his family two days ago but he's still sitting next to me scowling and drinking coffee, weird) and now everyone is looking over their shoulder etc etc wondering who is next

Unlimited PTO at an early stage startup though, yeah, just walk away unless you have oodles of time and fantastic vesting schedule.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's not at all common but I have seen unlimited PTO with a minimum usage policy before. That's a good sign.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Unlimited PTO is a scam for three reasons:

1) When you leave, you don't get your unspent accrued PTO cashed out to you (this is the big reason companies adopt UPTO)
2) The vagueness of the conditions for use mean that people measure the appropriate amount to use against their colleagues, which results in a general ratcheting down of time taken off
3) The vagueness also makes it easier to fire someone for cause (for "abusing" the UPTO policy)

It's not the worst thing in the world, but I'd consider UPTO to be a point against a particular company when it comes to judging job offers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

FMguru posted:

Unlimited PTO is a scam for three reasons:

1) When you leave, you don't get your unspent accrued PTO cashed out to you (this is the big reason companies adopt UPTO)
2) The vagueness of the conditions for use mean that people measure the appropriate amount to use against their colleagues, which results in a general ratcheting down of time taken off
3) The vagueness also makes it easier to fire someone for cause (for "abusing" the UPTO policy)

It's not the worst thing in the world, but I'd consider UPTO to be a point against a particular company when it comes to judging job offers

In other words: it's the job equivalent of an all-you-can-eat buffet. Appealing, sounds like a good deal, but is inferior in pretty much every possible way.