Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

tater_salad posted:

Yeah umm I'll just leave this here
:psyduck:

By leave this here you mean the access hatch right? Do not close that in the wall and probably put it in your calendar to give it an eyeball regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Put it behind glass and call it modern art.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Supply hoses are dielectric tho :pseudo:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oh yeah 100% not closing that up.. and will be keeping an eye on it. It's on my list to probably go pex from the copper to the mixing valve.

Not pictured.. in same bathroom hot and cold are connected to the wrong side of the sink handles they come up from the floor as hot right cold left so they just hooked them up that way. It's on my pre-move in checklist to swap those before the kids use that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tater_salad posted:

Oh yeah 100% not closing that up.. and will be keeping an eye on it. It's on my list to probably go pex from the copper to the mixing valve.

Not pictured.. in same bathroom hot and cold are connected to the wrong side of the sink handles they come up from the floor as hot right cold left so they just hooked them up that way. It's on my pre-move in checklist to swap those before the kids use that.

I’d swap that one because of muscle memory, but if I were establishing the convention myself, I can’t say I wouldn’t do it that way.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeha muscle memory thing. No way I can let it sit there like that. More than enough room in the lines to swap it out so it's right.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/biedersam/status/1252379376626266116?s=21

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I guess that's one way to prevent a cold toilet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MRC48B posted:

Supply hoses are dielectric tho :pseudo:

Doesn't apply at those nipples right at the valves!

Yes I refuse to let this go.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

StormDrain posted:

Doesn't apply at those nipples right at the valves!

Yes I refuse to let this go.

Me either, I can't figure out the plumbing.
If the mixing valve goes to the faucet, the riser isn't mixed. And where does the middle elbow go?

If the left stub is hot:

If the right stub is hot:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

mr.belowaverage posted:

If the mixing valve goes to the faucet, the riser isn't mixed. And where does the middle elbow go?

If the left stub is hot:

Zoom in on the pic, there is a pipe vertical off the mixing valve that inexplicably does a 180 to the hose that hangs down then doubles back up to feed the shower head. It doesn't attach in a three way to the right valve like I also thought at first. There must not have been a stock threaded pipe the right length to go vertically off the mixing valve.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The perspective is a little weird because there's a pipe below
Yellow Hooks shower to mixing valve.. Right behind yellow is the tub spout
Red and blue are Hot and cold (to the best of my recollection)

it works but for some reason. I believe that the supply lines may be part of the reason for lower water pressure as well since they're for sinks, also those shutoffs.

I will most likely be looking to getting some PEX fittings and resolving this portion of insanity.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mr.belowaverage posted:

If the left stub is hot:

I feel like it's something along the lines of one of these control setups: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier-Bay-Aragon-3-Handle-1-Spray-Tub-and-Shower-Faucet-in-Chrome-Valve-Included-HD834X-0001/303783504

The bottom port from the center mix area goes down to the tub faucet as normal, the top port for whatever reason goes in to the elbow then the hose before connecting to the riser pipe to the shower head.

The way things are connected as far as the way the water flows seems entirely reasonable, it's just how they chose to connect the various inputs and outputs together that's strange and potentially harmful.

e:f;b.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

gently caress all y'alls

first GIS result for "spaghetti plumbing"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This is a bad house

wow such an open layout

It's crappy construction because besides being ugly and inhospitable it has to be ungodly expensive to heat in the winter.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

This is a bad house

wow such an open layout

It's crappy construction because besides being ugly and inhospitable it has to be ungodly expensive to heat in the winter.

Is this what Scandinavian prisons look like?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So now I can LIVE in my douchebag techbro boss' office even when I get off work?
:shepspends:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

By popular demand posted:

gently caress all y'alls

first GIS result for "spaghetti plumbing"

From my house (shortly before being finished):

Youth Decay posted:

This is a bad house

wow such an open layout

I like it and hate it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Sure love cold floors and hallways that look like maintenance corridors in the back of a corporate building.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

Sure love cold floors and hallways that look like maintenance corridors in the back of a corporate building.

So many area rugs.

Also, aren't on purpose concrete floors done with radiant heat pipes embedded? As opposed to the "let's just rip poo poo up and polish the foundation slab" type.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Youth Decay posted:

This is a bad house

wow such an open layout

1. There's nothing to suggest it's more expensive to heat than any other building of comparable size
2. Oh my god it has a hallway? Good lord

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 21, 2020

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

This is what happens when everyone works from home; your house can contract structural corporatism and begins to metastasize into an office.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the facade.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Hot air rises. High ceilings mean you're heating a lot of space you aren't living in

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Jaded Burnout posted:

From my house (shortly before being finished):

That is such a trade vs. trade FU thing. It's infuriating how childish some trades are about other trades.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Youth Decay posted:

This is a bad house

wow such an open layout

I'm yelling and it's just keeps reverberating, building on itself until the whole house comes down.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

tater_salad posted:

The perspective is a little weird because there's a pipe below
Yellow Hooks shower to mixing valve.. Right behind yellow is the tub spout
Red and blue are Hot and cold (to the best of my recollection)

it works but for some reason. I believe that the supply lines may be part of the reason for lower water pressure as well since they're for sinks, also those shutoffs.

I will most likely be looking to getting some PEX fittings and resolving this portion of insanity.

Lol, thanks for the drawing. I thought there was an octopus off the hot, couldn't tell that was a loop from the original riser going to the galvy makeshift riser.

Honestly, it's better than both my bathrooms were originally. :sweatdrop:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

That is such a trade vs. trade FU thing. It's infuriating how childish some trades are about other trades.

Could you clarify?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Could you clarify?

The tubing on the bottom is encased in concrete in random ways. Some tubes look to get buried in concrete then loop back up to go up the wall. I get it's for in-floor radiant heating, but it should go into the concrete neatly and not in spaghetti fashion. The concrete guys probably kicked tubing all over the place while pouring instead of keeping it tied up and look neat.

Anyway, that big rear end concrete house also looks to have zero floor outlets. So you have a giant open space, and absolutely no way to plug anything in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

The tubing on the bottom is encased in concrete in random ways. Some tubes look to get buried in concrete then loop back up to go up the wall. I get it's for in-floor radiant heating, but it should go into the concrete neatly and not in spaghetti fashion. The concrete guys probably kicked tubing all over the place while pouring instead of keeping it tied up and look neat.

Exactly this. There are two that mysteriously loop under the crete and come back out a few inches later, another one ("the rainbow") that looks like it should have been entirely under the crete...... And that's stuff that can't be reasonably fixed.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Are we just not going to talk about what the gently caress is going on with this facade here? The house is wearing a mask of a different building. All the pictures are conveniently angled so you can't see the back side of it, so however it intersect with the roof must be amazing.

Jam With Seeds
Dec 20, 2008

Privacy.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Motronic posted:

Exactly this. There are two that mysteriously loop under the crete and come back out a few inches later, another one ("the rainbow") that looks like it should have been entirely under the crete...... And that's stuff that can't be reasonably fixed.

Yah, so, this isn't so much inter-trade maliciousness as it is incompetence. The copper was placed by a proper plumber who is a nice guy and I still use him for stuff. The underfloor was put in by the builder who would never admit that he wasn't expert in every facet of the build and I'm sure didn't bother to read any installation instructions.

The "rainbow" loop does make some more sense when you trace all the lines under the screed, but I'm sure could've been eliminated with better planning.

The real shitter is the pipe which isn't connected; he used that as a fill point intending to attach it later, but the weight of the screed pulled it down to where it wasn't long enough to reach the manifold and had to be sloppily extended. Had he spent 30 seconds reading the manual he'd know that's not even how you're supposed to fill the loops; the manifold has fill and drain ports on the side.

The people doing the screed pour were mostly fine as well, this is all piss poor planning on the part of the builder. The pipes looked just as messy before the pour happened.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Oh ouch. Somehow that sucks even more.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

there wolf posted:

Are we just not going to talk about what the gently caress is going on with this facade here? The house is wearing a mask of a different building. All the pictures are conveniently angled so you can't see the back side of it, so however it intersect with the roof must be amazing.

That't the best part; a nice-looking traditional saltbox has been sacrificed for this sterile ediface.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Brute Squad posted:

I'm yelling and it's just keeps reverberating, building on itself until the whole house comes down.

I don't think I've been earfucked so hard by a picture before. Can't imagine living somewhere that acoustically obnoxious.

"An elegantly modern English manor home that artfully exudes European character that gracefully compliments one of Richmond's most beloved historic neighborhoods"

:barf:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

MisterOblivious posted:

"An elegantly modern English manor home that artfully exudes European character that gracefully compliments one of Richmond's most beloved historic neighborhoods"

:homebrew:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Good construction posing as crappy construction

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I love everything about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010