Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

PinheadSlim posted:

Is there a reason or are you just against change in general? It's one of the only things Bethesda has done right in a while.

I liked power armor when it was just a late game difficult to find and use item, not a super-common suit you wear over your other clothes that has it's own tedious item management system, and unnecessary, additional systems piled on top. Oh, and randomly breaks a bunch of interactables like terminals, so you have to get out to use it. The single good thing about it is that you actually have a flashlight for once instead of using the worlds shittiest phone screen as a flashlight.

watho posted:

yeah i never touched the power armor in 4 except for the sections where it was forced on you, i don’t really see why power armor just being really good endgame armor is a problem that needs fixing

they basically took this, a system that worked perfectly fine, and hosed it all up. like they did to levelling, skills, and perks.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Like mentioned with the others, stompy robot suit concept is great but the whole fusion cores/raiders jury rigging them/awkward over the top need to mod every bit and their latest new entry in the power armor canon do all grate on me too.

don't forget the group of rad 50's hot rodders except instead of functional cars it's power armor and paint designs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

All valid points, but just because Bethesda doesn't know how to implement a good idea doesn't make it bad. It's just more fun to climb into and out of power armor, and to feel a real difference when you wear outside of "haha boolit hurt less :)"

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

You could say the same about scaling for most equipment in Fallout 4. lovely raider power armors cheapen the experience almost as much as the five billion identical pipe weapons.

I'm late to this reply, but I don't think this is true. In fact, I'm not even sure how you arrived at this conclusion. We go into Fallout 4 with the expectation that there is a vast spectrum of firearms with different uses and different degrees of efficacy. We don't go with this expectation about Power Armor, which was specifically positioned as high-end military equipment only in use at some particularly advanced factions.

EDIT: By the way, I enjoy the tankiness of Power Armor in Fallout 4 and the way movement feels in it, and I do enjoy the UI they used for it. I think they did a pretty good job with it from a "feels" perspective, I just *personally* don't enjoy the fiddliness of it, just as I don't enjoy the fiddliness of most Fallout 4 systems. I understand where it comes from and I understand I'm in the minority, as the new weapon modding, for example, was almost universally hailed as an improvement over New Vegas and a great mechanic.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I think the feel of PA entering/exiting is almost perfect, maybe just a bit too long time-wise. Fusion cores are dumb and iirc not all that lore friendly but that can easily be modded away in a few different ways.

Not having to earn it is dumb. The Concord set piece is so transparent and vapid in its presentation, clearly designed to show off at E3 and wow critics that won't finish the game. Starting the game with the PA proficiency clearly serves this end.

Gyshall posted:

What's the best player home mod in TYOOL2020?

Super late reply, but my vote goes to NV Novac Apartment. It's ~cozy~. It's fun to play wasteland interior decorator in. It doesn't have sorting or weapon walls, though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

And Tyler Too! posted:

And just like that I've reinstalled FO4. Vegas will always be my bae though.

I bought fallout 4 just the other day. I love Fallout New Vegas dearly but I think I need new content in my brain.

Mooktastical posted:

I think the feel of PA entering/exiting is almost perfect, maybe just a bit too long time-wise. Fusion cores are dumb and iirc not all that lore friendly but that can easily be modded away in a few different ways.

Not having to earn it is dumb. The Concord set piece is so transparent and vapid in its presentation, clearly designed to show off at E3 and wow critics that won't finish the game. Starting the game with the PA proficiency clearly serves this end.

looks like there's a alternate start mod, so you could pretty effectively avoid that bit for a while, if you want?

they really should have left that in the e3 build though.

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 20, 2020

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

JawKnee posted:

And finally, shooting out the power cores and stealing armor from hostiles was fantastically good fun
Stealing the cores and forcing the person inside to eject, then killing them.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I think my biggest problem with Power Armor in FO4 is that Fusion Cores last for like 10-15 minutes. Which just feels terrible and hobbles exploration. I don't think I ever used Power Armor outside of the Concord setpiece.

I did like fighting other Power Armor users though. And really liked the raider design, mostly because I am a fan of the dumb raider aesthetic that 3/NV/4 nailed.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

First time I played through I immediately parked my first power armor at the Red Rocket until I could stockpile enough fusion cores to make it less of a hassle to use.

I was playing a stealth build that time though so I didn't have much cause to use power armor again until the Glowing Sea

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I wasn't necessarily a huge fan of how power armor changed your UI and movement, but I did appreciate how it did make you really feel like a giant walking tank. And really, how power armor worked in Fallout 4 was honestly one of the best things Bethesda's done with the franchise, and if anything the game would have been much better had they shoved the whole synth question into a sideplot and made the game all about power armor—like maybe there's an underground power armor factory that survived the war, the institute is trying to fix it, the Brotherhood wants to take it over, etc. Would have explained why every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the commonwealth has access to power armor, at least.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

A synth is just a power armor wearing a person instead of a person wearing a power armor

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
as much as i dont like the power armor changes the raider aesthetic is pretty good for like replacement parts ducttaped to provide a modicum of protection

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Welp. https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68714

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

looks like there's a alternate start mod, so you could pretty effectively avoid that bit for a while, if you want?

they really should have left that in the e3 build though.

Well my point was that, from a design standpoint, putting that whole set piece as essentially the 1st thing to do requires PA proficiency at the jump.

But yeah, you could do the alternative start thing, or just ignore that quest entirely. There's even an argument to be made that ignoring Preston until Nuka World is completely finished is the optimal path.

gently caress yeah. No more Sophie's choice BS once you've merged all that can be merged and still have around ~130 plugins. I wonder what new and interesting things I can break by installing literally all the quest/area mods....

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 21, 2020

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Holy Moly YES.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My god...

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
It happened, it finally happened... My word...

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Honestly this is the LAST fuckin thing any of us need

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
i'm gonna nut

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
there are those who said this day would never come

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

there are those who said this day would never come

And where are they now, those blind fools... Where are they now...

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i’m gonna fly so loving close to the sun baby!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
makes it a lot easier than merging plugins together

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

watho posted:

i’m gonna fly so loving close to the sun baby!

That's fine, because that lucky old sun has nothing to do, but roll around heaven all day.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

makes it a lot easier than merging plugins together

Or you could merge plugins anyway to reach an even HIGHER limit.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Cyberware Standalone remake, probably one of the last parts of PN that wasn't released on it's own.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68718

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Cyberware Standalone remake, probably one of the last parts of PN that wasn't released on it's own.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/68718

Well, look at that.
We had some good times together Project Nevada, but it's time to finally part ways after nine years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So at this point what is left from PN? Visors, the equipment module and the settings tweaker?

Visors and equipment have obvious alternatives, but what mod would be best for replacing PN's settings tweaker? I love being able to alter my XP gain so I can get a boost at the start and then not plateau too fast once I hit the midgame.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 21, 2020

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

So at this point what is left from PN? Visors, the equipment module and the settings tweaker?

Visors and equipment have obvious alternatives, but what mod would be best for replacing PN's settings tweaker? I love being able to alter my XP gain so I can get a boost at the start and then not plateau too fast once I hit the midgame.

I can't recall everything that's included off the top of my head but iStewieAI's Tweaks has a shitload of options you can dick around with.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/66347

JSawyer Ultimate Edition has a option to reduce your XP gain among other things like item spawn rate and such.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61592/

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I just pick a signature armor and jack up the xp cost for it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Signature Armor and Weapon is so good

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Started a new game, decided making Love and Hate brass knuckles my signature weapon.

You Legion boys brought machetes and spears?

https://i.imgur.com/Fj0wHEv.mp4

e;
Also trying out, Unarmed And Melee Revolution
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/64150

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 22, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MariusLecter posted:

Started a new game, decided making Love and Hate brass knuckles my signature weapon.

You Legion boys brought machetes and spears?

https://i.imgur.com/Fj0wHEv.mp4

Are you more Harry Powell?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X20XIg38GcE
or Radio Raheem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UULT4iNWfrg

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Whichever one beats their enemies into a pulpy juice drink.

Overwrites are a nif and DDS, would be real easy to merge them together, but :effort:

e;
Not pictured, Cannibal Reborn.
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/64789

Eat what you kill.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 22, 2020

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

I followed the viva new vegas guide and started playing again; it's amazing how far this game has come since I last jumped in. Who would have thought that someone would manage to mod in diagonal running animations!!!

A few questions if anyone knows:

1) How does one tell when it's best to merge mods together? I assume it can be done for most anything, and the reason that it's mainly done for compatibility patches is that nothing's likely to have them as a dependency. So as a general rule of thumb, you can merge most anything except if it has other plugins likely to depend on it?

2) Anyone know a decent ENB/equivalent? The indoor lighting with mods looks great but outdoors has always looked a bit flat in these earlier bethesda-engine games. Something with a tiny bit of AO and a little colour grading would go a long way, nothing major

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Generic Monk posted:

I followed the viva new vegas guide and started playing again; it's amazing how far this game has come since I last jumped in. Who would have thought that someone would manage to mod in diagonal running animations!!!

1) How does one tell when it's best to merge mods together? I assume it can be done for most anything, and the reason that it's mainly done for compatibility patches is that nothing's likely to have them as a dependency. So as a general rule of thumb, you can merge most anything except if it has other plugins likely to depend on it?

2) Anyone know a decent ENB/equivalent? The indoor lighting with mods looks great but outdoors has always looked a bit flat in these earlier bethesda-engine games. Something with a tiny bit of AO and a little colour grading would go a long way, nothing major

1) Someone more knowledgeable than me could answer this better but in my experience I've merged pretty much everything that isn't dependent on another mod/required for another mod and have been a-rocking and a-rolling all across the Mojave. Per the Viva New Vegas guide I broadly merge things into "Content" "Visual" "Bugfixes" etc.

2) Honestly, I would recommend Realistic Wasteland Lighting for making the outside world look nice. And I would use this version over whatever the edited version linked in Viva New Vegas is because I've noticed that has a lot of locations left out (most notably Crimson Caravans and Freeside) so transitioning to and from those locations will results in vastly different looking weather and lighting despite being basically the same location.

If you want some extra graphics, I wholly recommend Reshade over ENB. Way more effects, way easier to customize, much better performance. The only thing you miss out on are the hacky shadows ENB can implement otherwise Reshade can do anything ENB can do plus more. Especially if you just want some color correction, that's like Reshade's bread and butter. Plus Boris, the ENB dev, is a MASSIVE homophobe.

If you use Reshade version 4.3, you'll have a functional depth buffer so you can use shaders that depend on that such as MXAO and the ray tracing shader by Pascal Glicher, which I can share here so you don't have to pay $5 to access it. Using depth buffer effects requires all anti aliasing be totally disabled (but Reshade has post-processing anti-aliasing options).

You can also force AO through the Nvidia Control Panel if you have that as well.

Proletarian Mango fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 22, 2020

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

As of a few days ago, mod merging isn't nearly as crucial as it used to be. This world changing mod allows you to install 255 unique plugins w/o issue. Regarding merging, though, you don't want to merge anything with a Mod Configuration menu, as they'll gently caress with each other. I also personally don't merge quest mods, but that could just be superstition.

Generic Monk posted:

I use Remasterise ENB along with Nevada Skies. It includes SweetFX. If you install Remasterise, delete the enbhost.exe and d3d9.dll that go in your base FONV folder, as the ones directly from Boris will be newer and work better.

E: ^^What he said^^

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 22, 2020

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

1) Someone more knowledgeable than me could answer this better but in my experience I've merged pretty much everything that isn't dependent on another mod/required for another mod and have been a-rocking and a-rolling all across the Mojave. Per the Viva New Vegas guide I broadly merge things into "Content" "Visual" "Bugfixes" etc.

2) Honestly, I would recommend Realistic Wasteland Lighting for making the outside world look nice. And I would use this version over whatever the edited version linked in Viva New Vegas is because I've noticed that has a lot of locations left out (most notably Crimson Caravans and Freeside) so transitioning to and from those locations will results in vastly different looking weather and lighting despite being basically the same location.

If you want some extra graphics, I wholly recommend Reshade over ENB. Way more effects, way easier to customize, much better performance. The only thing you miss out on are the hacky shadows ENB can implement otherwise Reshade can do anything ENB can do plus more. Especially if you just want some color correction, that's like Reshade's bread and butter. Plus Boris, the ENB dev, is a MASSIVE homophobe.

If you use Reshade version 4.3, you'll have a functional depth buffer so you can use shaders that depend on that such as MXAO and the ray tracing shader by Pascal Glicher, which I can share here so you don't have to pay $5 to access it. Using depth buffer effects requires all anti aliasing be totally disabled (but Reshade has post-processing anti-aliasing options).

You can also force AO through the Nvidia Control Panel if you have that as well.

reshade is a good shout; I'll have a play around with it. never really had an ENB i've been completely happy with tbh

Mooktastical posted:

As of a few days ago, mod merging isn't nearly as crucial as it used to be. This world changing mod allows you to install 255 unique plugins w/o issue. Regarding merging, though, you don't want to merge anything with a Mod Configuration menu, as they'll gently caress with each other. I also personally don't merge quest mods, but that could just be superstition.

yeah it's mainly from a mod conflict perspective more than anything else. and also maybe a lil of my own superstition that the more mods one has active the more unstable (though it depends on the mods ofc)

e: i think one of the recoil mods in that list is definitely exacerbating the weird issue that these games have where the firing animation occasionally gets 'stuck' so your weapon doesn't actually fire when you want it to. more than a bit irritating when you run into one of the squads of ghouls with insanely buffed energy weapons who can mow you down with pinpoint accuracy. i think i'll remove the immersive recoil one and maybe get that 'npcs can miss' mod to see if that balances stuff out a tad

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 22, 2020

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

yeah it's mainly from a mod conflict perspective more than anything else. and also maybe a lil of my own superstition that the more mods one has active the more unstable (though it depends on the mods ofc)

e: i think one of the recoil mods in that list is definitely exacerbating the weird issue that these games have where the firing animation occasionally gets 'stuck' so your weapon doesn't actually fire when you want it to. more than a bit irritating when you run into one of the squads of ghouls with insanely buffed energy weapons who can mow you down with pinpoint accuracy. i think i'll remove the immersive recoil one and maybe get that 'npcs can miss' mod to see if that balances stuff out a tad

In terms of just sheer number of mods, and speaking VERY generally, instability comes from mods being improperly installed/made (missing/corrupt assets) or from improperly handled conflicts. Well, assuming we can ignore hardware stuff or inadvisable edits like faffing about with uGridsToLoad .

I've never had that specific issue happen, and I run a SHITLOAD of mods. I'd recommend trying out a bunch of different guns as you're playing, to see if there's one that you can use a LOT and not have the issue come up. Then, open up FNVEdit (Via MO of course) and have it load every active mod you have going. From there, if you're really lucky, there will be a mod that'll modify the gun that's misbehaving, but not the one that wasn't having the issue, and that'll be your culprit. If every gun is behaving the same way, then it's down to just disabling every mod that affects weapon animations, verifying you're not having it happen any more, then re-enabling each one one-by-one until you can reproduce the problem. This of course requires playing for a long time on a game save that's had a mod removed, which is never a particularly good idea

E: Also, in my experience, the specific issue that occurs when I'm starting to get too close to the limit is when there will be random assets from known-good mods have missing meshes or black textures. When the red triangles start rearing their ugly head, and you can reopen the game to temporarily 'fix' 'em, it's obvious

Mooktastical fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 23, 2020

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Power armor training wasn't really a thing in the first two games and was only a thing in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, so in some ways, that's a return to the way it worked in the originals.

That said, the existence of poo poo like Raider Power Armors, kind of cheapens the way they work. That's the thing with Power Armors not being the high-end and instead just being a separate kind of item that has tiers: it doesn't feel as special anymore, because you have to cover a whole range of factions, from lovely ranger, to the high-level people.

yeah its a thing invented for fo3 to basically keep you from just looting the first outcast patrol that gets turned into paste outside megaton five minutes in

FNV keeps it cause, well, FNV is a continuation of FO3 in many ways but jsawyer.esp basically removes it as a req and just has the perk work as letting you use power armor even better

in 1 & 2 power armor basically fits like a glove and anyone can use it. i dont think either really talk about specialized training just to get in and 2 you can just loot one early on in if you know how

as for power armor being everywhere it didn't really jar me as you didnt have a group like the brotherhood around hoovering up all tech left behind. i wasnt really a fan of 4's linear progression, which at least is kind of fixed in 76: instead of just raider>t-45>t-51>t-60>x-01 its more like raider is duct taped together trash, t-45 is ok, t-51 is the best of the t-series but high maintenance, t-60 is slightly better t-45 with higher repair costs, x-01 is designed with more defense against energy weapons in mind and is very expensive to repair, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

In terms of just sheer number of mods, and speaking VERY generally, instability comes from mods being improperly installed/made (missing/corrupt assets) or from improperly handled conflicts. Well, assuming we can ignore hardware stuff or inadvisable edits like faffing about with uGridsToLoad .

I've never had that specific issue happen, and I run a SHITLOAD of mods. I'd recommend trying out a bunch of different guns as you're playing, to see if there's one that you can use a LOT and not have the issue come up. Then, open up FNVEdit (Via MO of course) and have it load every active mod you have going. From there, if you're really lucky, there will be a mod that'll modify the gun that's misbehaving, but not the one that wasn't having the issue, and that'll be your culprit. If every gun is behaving the same way, then it's down to just disabling every mod that affects weapon animations, verifying you're not having it happen any more, then re-enabling each one one-by-one until you can reproduce the problem. This of course requires playing for a long time on a game save that's had a mod removed, which is never a particularly good idea

E: Also, in my experience, the specific issue that occurs when I'm starting to get too close to the limit is when there will be random assets from known-good mods have missing meshes or black textures. When the red triangles start rearing their ugly head, and you can reopen the game to temporarily 'fix' 'em, it's obvious

i think that perhaps i was just a little frustrated with the recoil and NPC accuracy, compounded by the bones of the shooting in this game not being particularly responsive at the best of times :doh:

the mod that makes NPCs miss more definitely alleviates this, although without immersive recoil i feel just a little bit overpowered! will prob turn it back on and get a mod that improves the combat AI so the NPCs aren’t constantly running into my face. any recommendations?