Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Forget the shadow aiming arcs. Aim at where you think someone might be. The aim shadows are ok when you have a spotted enemy but almost always that's when you should be retreating, unless it's close to the end of the match.

Also always use the tight spread

Aiming properly is just going to take practice, but in general Japanese destroyers have a huge range advantage and that goes double for low tiered matches. Use it and never get close if you can help it. If you find yourself close, make sure you have a set of tubes you can bring to bear right away. And THEN use the aim shadows to best effect, right before popping smoke and leaving. (Don't waste your smoke)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
You're going to die a lot in DDs, that's just the nature of the role so don't sweat it. Practice how to stay alive, which mostly involves gaming Los using islands (and smoke)

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

folgore posted:

I'm new to this game and picked the Shimakaze line to start with. I'm up the Mutsuki now. My main goals at this point are to not die and keep enemies spotted. I have 4% torpedo accuracy - I'm not good at aiming torpedoes. Can anyone spare some hot goon tips for not sucking in DDs?

So torpedoes are a real challenge and...surprise! The Japanese torpedo boat line are arguably the worst torpedo-oriented DDs because their torpedo reloads are slow and their torpedoes are spotted easily. Getting hits is always going to be a bit of a crapshoot, but here's the things to keep in mind for beginners:

The gray band is the lead indicator for a ship if he holds the same course and speed.

Ships *tend* to dodge torpedoes by turning into them, so one volley toward the gray indicator and one just left or right to anticipate that turn helps.

Whenever you switch between guns and torpedoes, your lock on blinks on and off. If they have priority target they'll see that and may change course anticipating torpedoes. Instead, stay on torpedo mode for a while so they aren't alerted to this.

The most important thing you can do with torps is look on the map and see where enemy ships *want* to be and deny them by torping those areas. Smoke cloud? Torp it. Enemy pushing a flank? Torp into the group to make them stall or scatter. You can herd ships with torps if and make them do dumb poo poo.

High tier gameplay is very sketchy for DDs right now in general; I'd honestly stop at tier 6 and try out the other ship lines (cruisers, BBs, maybe CVs if you want people to hate fun) and it helps you play the other classes better and find out what you like.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Also just because you're in a torp focused DD doesn't mean you should ignore your guns. IJN torpedo boat guns suck because they traverse like battleship guns and have a slow reload, not because they have bad damage.

Sometimes you'll win fights by shooting things instead of torping them.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 19, 2020

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

folgore posted:

I'm new to this game and picked the Shimakaze line to start with. I'm up the Mutsuki now. My main goals at this point are to not die and keep enemies spotted. I have 4% torpedo accuracy - I'm not good at aiming torpedoes. Can anyone spare some hot goon tips for not sucking in DDs?

You're not the only one who did this! My first line and still most played is the IJN DD line. I have a 62% winrate with unicum stats, and my torp accuracy is still only 9%.

First point: Your guns are there for a reason. IJN DD guns have horrendous traverse, but fairly good damage with their HE shells. While you're not going to be doing amazing things with your guns, failing to use them opportunistically is just a massive waste, especially as you'll eventually get into a fight with an enemy DD. It helps to know how other DD lines fare with their own guns to know the best opportunities to strike, for instance, US DDs have horrible ballistics beyond 6-7km, so fighting them at range can actually go well for you. Russian and French DDs are gunboats, and will generally gently caress you up if they're upset with you, so shoot them when they're distracted then disappear before they can get any shots in back. Etc, etc. You can always smoke up and use your guns, as well. This is especially nice if you land a torpedo or two and proc flooding on a BB or whatever, and then see them instantly repair it, if you're in range, you can start pelting them with HE and hope to stick a fire on them to pad your damage. Additionally, guns are GREAT at baiting cruisers into doing stupid poo poo. You'll get better at knowing how people turn with time, they typically will turn their ship to bring guns to bear how they're already aimed, so occasionally you can bait a cruiser to show broadside to a set of torps they wouldn't have before by shooting them slightly before they'd arrive, and watch them tunnel vision on you and be caught mid rudder shift into your spread.

Second, your torpedoes are not just meant to assassinate big targets. IJN torps are long-ranged, and have very high damage, making them extremely important to avoid by the enemy. Simply being in front of a push can slow or stop it. Learn where ships want to be, not just what the prediction line says. Ships will make maneuvers in a fight, and they'll try to dodge your torps once they spot them. Set up your torps up tightly enough to either guarantee hits if the enemy dodges, or be fanned out just enough to require the enemy to dodge them... and be put in a bad situation for doing it. It is not recommended to sit directly in front of targets. You want to be ahead and traveling in parallel to the target, having your torps meet the target at a 90 degree angle for best impact. You can also drop torps into areas you know are going to be swarming with ships, especially smoke clouds. Torping smokes is a VERY important thing to get into the habit of doing, especially if there's no other target that is going to present itself.

Learn to identify the probability of getting hits on enemies. Is it a DD weaving back and forth trading shots with a CL? Extremely low chance of hitting, unless you see him slow down to prep for a smoke cloud. A CA angled away, opening fire on a distant BB? Very low chance of hitting, especially if you're not close, as he's going to kite away. A group of ships pushing into a cap? Check the lines on the different ships (press X to change locked targets) and then dump torps on the average of the lines. If you don't somehow get a hit, you'll probably get them to stop pushing. A good rule of thumb is to torp ships moving deeper into your range before ships moving out of your range.

And finally... don't die. DDs don't have armor and IJN DDs in particular dont have a lot of HP, either. Your HP is a resource you can't get back, so don't throw it away foolishly charging into a cap at the start of the match just to get rocketed by the enemy CV because you're nowhere near the rest of your team. Smoke up if you start getting shot at by people likely to actually hit you. Try to keep track of anything that can spot you, so you don't blunder into them with your guns pointed away and your ship closing the distance. PRE TURN YOUR GUNS! Just look in the direction you want your guns to point, then hold down right click, or press Control + X (I use right click). IJN guns are not too unwieldy, as long as you have your guns pointed at the enemy BEFORE you get spotted.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
DD's are the hardest class to play effectively, they get punished for misplays the harshest, and require a lot of memorization of detection ranges and radar ranges and which ships have which consumables if you want to not die like an idiot. Also, enjoy getting chased around by an idiot CV player every other match. You can start with DD's if you really want but the IJN torp boats are not particularly good, especially not at higher tiers (Shimakaze used to at least have a niche but it's now been thoroughly power creeped). A much easier way into the game is playing cruisers, where all you really need to get going is watch iChase's guides on positioning to get a leg up.

Torp boats in general also have this sorta feast or famine problem where you're very reliant on factors beyond your control to do well. Torps do a lot of damage so if you land a few you're doing well, but you can miss basically every time even if you played everything correctly if you're unlucky. Gunboats are more consistent, as are the new Pan-EU (Swedish) DD's, but those are arguably even harder to play for a new player and only the T9 and the T10 are really good. The Halland is basically one of three torpedo boats I actually like (the other two being the Gearing and the Fletcher, and all three are basically hybrids with torpedo focus).

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Apr 19, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I have recently gotten more into playing CAs as a transition from BBs and it is fun. I like citadelling my fellow enemy cruisers and I also like volleying for full damage deck penetration on battleships (and even taking out a turret or two).

I also like still being able to reasonably take out destroyers with he rounds.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Remind me again as to what exactly is the gist of British heavies.
How do i play them "successfully", i.e. what are their strengths?

Suffered to the Albermarle and still not feeling it...

e: habing access to heal is kinda nullified at T9 where everyone gets a heal, is the british one better?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Remind me again as to what exactly is the gist of British heavies.
How do i play them "successfully", i.e. what are their strengths?

Suffered to the Albermarle and still not feeling it...

e: habing access to heal is kinda nullified at T9 where everyone gets a heal, is the british one better?

British tier 8+ cruisers get access to a 'superheal', which, unlike normal heals that restore up to 14% of the ship's HP over 28 seconds, instead repair up to 40% over 20 seconds. If you beat up an RN cruiser and let it fade away, you can expect it'll probably have 60-80% of that damage repaired. A smartly played RN cruiser is a nightmare to deal with because of that, and they laugh at fire/flooding damage.

That said, as far as RN heavy cruisers, I find it's best to use them at near maximum range: try to stay around 13-15km and never, ever make yourself the most favorable target, ever. Just pelt anything and everything that's not "Broadsiding cruiser at 5km" with HE and watch them burn to death while you use your teammates as ablative hit points.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So the guns are just basic, nothing special?
Im really holding out for the drake, the caliber sounds nice at least...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
RN heavies suck and they do nothing better than any other line in the game, not worth the time.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Not even the 234s on the T9/10?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
The one thing the UK heavies do reasonably well is HE spam stuff that has 50mm decks. But so does the Hindenburg, which probably does significantly more DPM. Also, Venezia exists and shits on everything not saturated.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Halland status: extremely loving good ship

5300 games and this is my third solo warrior and I think my only one at T10. Well deserved too because I had to clutch this game pretty hard to get it. Got zoned out early in the game by three DD's going to my cap early on, but while my team was dying the enemy team got pushed back into their spawn so we had all three caps. Got pushed by an Alaska and a low HP Hipper and Östergötland, won 3v1 and then duked it out with their CV for a bit. Couldn't kill him so I had to hide and win on points. Halland is probably the one ship in the game that can actually successfully hide vs a CV late game.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 19, 2020

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ironically, Goliaths actually are apparently performing somewhat well as a niche counter pick for this CB. The high level games are generally just 20km+ sniping fests due to the CVs spotting everything, so 40mm decks that resist the shells of the more common choices combined with the superheal for outlasting shell/plane damage better is actually somewhat workable. Because current CB is really just the CVs killing everything, while everyone else just keeps the enemy team honest and at range.

This is in no way indicative of their performance in any even remotely sane circumstances, of course.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
How long do you figure we have until the Moska goes away? I've made it all the way up to the Dimitri Dunk and would definitely be peeved if I couldn't close the deal.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So the guns are just basic, nothing special?
Im really holding out for the drake, the caliber sounds nice at least...

Pound for pound, they have quite possibly the best cruiser HE shells in the game. Solid damage, hilariously good penetration, great chance of starting a fire.

The problem is, the AP is kind of meh, the ships themselves are merely ok and don't offer utility, and the fire rates of the guns is bad. On one hand, if they had radar the ships would be fine, but on the other hand I don't think we need any more radar proliferation.

I dunno how to fix them. Smoke wouldn't be nearly as helpful for them as the CL line, good sonar is the German thing, speed boost is the French thing. I'd be inclined to give them RN CL style agility and acceleration but I don't know how useful that would be. AA boost would be a joke.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

General Battuta posted:

How long do you figure we have until the Moska goes away? I've made it all the way up to the Dimitri Dunk and would definitely be peeved if I couldn't close the deal.

You have until patch 0.9.5 to unlock the Moskva. The upcoming patch is 0.9.4, and patches are on about a one month cycle.

It should be easy to go from tier 9 to 10 in that time, but if you don't then spending free xp to unlock the Moskva before it turns premium is the best deal on a premium tier 10 ship you're ever likely to get. Even free xping from tier 1 to the Moskva would be a pretty good deal, you'd spend 750k free xp on a ship that's probably going to cost about 250k coal and free xp is much faster to grind than coal. However there is no reason to spend any free xp on it until the day before the patch.

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

Rorac posted:

I'd be inclined to give them RN CL style agility and acceleration but I don't know how useful that would be. AA boost would be a joke.

They would then just be a pre-nerf Henri IV with worse DPM, which is unlikely to do much for their popularity. People in randoms didn't really play Henri much even when the acceleration made it borderline impossible to shoot at.

They should just buff the reload by 20%, which would still leave Goliath with worse HE DPM than a Hindenburg (!) but would at least let them be more effective at dealing damage, which is the only thing they do.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

James Garfield posted:

You have until patch 0.9.5 to unlock the Moskva. The upcoming patch is 0.9.4, and patches are on about a one month cycle.

It should be easy to go from tier 9 to 10 in that time, but if you don't then spending free xp to unlock the Moskva before it turns premium is the best deal on a premium tier 10 ship you're ever likely to get. Even free xping from tier 1 to the Moskva would be a pretty good deal, you'd spend 750k free xp on a ship that's probably going to cost about 250k coal and free xp is much faster to grind than coal. However there is no reason to spend any free xp on it until the day before the patch.

How would you rate the Moskva vs. the upcomming T10 heavy?
Would it make sense to own both?
Is the tech tree ship a good replacement?
DOes the premium status of teh moskva automatically place it above the tech tree variant?
If you could freely chose, which one would you take, not regarding premium status?

e: reason im asking is the schors with 113k xp in my port i could either leave to get the new t8 heavy to eventually go for the 10, or invest now to grind up a moskva.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 20, 2020

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I don't think the Moskva is going to be a proper premium, is it? Just 'special'.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

General Battuta posted:

I don't think the Moskva is going to be a proper premium, is it? Just 'special'.

It's gonna be a coal ship.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

It's gonna be a coal ship.

Thunderer and JB are both coal ships, one is premium and one is special.
Will moskvaget a unique camo / increased cash rewards now or not, didnt really follow the discussion on this.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Yolomon Wayne posted:

How would you rate the Moskva vs. the upcomming T10 heavy?
Would it make sense to own both?
Is the tech tree ship a good replacement?
DOes the premium status of teh moskva automatically place it above the tech tree variant?
If you could freely chose, which one would you take, not regarding premium status?

e: reason im asking is the schors with 113k xp in my port i could either leave to get the new t8 heavy to eventually go for the 10, or invest now to grind up a moskva.

Moskva is becoming a tier 10 coal ship like the Thunderer, and it'll probably make the same credit income.

If you're at all interested in having a Moskva, it makes sense to unlock it before patch 9.5. You have over a month to decide though.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

James Garfield posted:

Moskva is becoming a tier 10 coal ship like the Thunderer, and it'll probably make the same credit income.

If you're at all interested in having a Moskva, it makes sense to unlock it before patch 9.5. You have over a month to decide though.

Im interested in a tanky heavy cruiser with hard hitting shells instead of HE-spam.
So, Moskva or tech T10?

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug
If you at all have the opportunity to pick up Moskva, even if you have to burn some free XP, do it before it moves. Grinding the line (or grinding free XP) is considerably easier than grinding coal.

Moskva is probably better than Petropavlovsk. Both are tanky ships that hit hard, but Moskva specialises in fighting at long range while Petropavlovsk specialises in getting up close, and the meta strongly leans towards the former.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Mosvka is tanky but it doesn't stand up to HE that well. It's pretty accurate and it's russian railguns make shooting even a speeding kleber at max range not too hard.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

The turd fiesta continues tonight. Some examples of divergence between performance and wins:

This is after three 130k+ damage losses over the weekend and tonight:

And this is what happens when you are able to kite around harassing and capping. Three games in a row like this:

That last game was my favorite because to start the match I did 20k damage to the belfast and kept him spotted for 2 minutes afterward at no risk or damage to myself and no one shot him despite 2 BBs and 2 cruisers having clean shots. Instead they ran toward the map edge.

You really just cannot loving right the ship of pubbies without a div. You get dragged down by window-licker divs or ride the coattails of good divs with nothing in-between.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Blindeye posted:

You really just cannot loving right the ship of pubbies without a div. You get dragged down by window-licker divs or ride the coattails of good divs with nothing in-between.

Even that's not enough unless you're really stacked.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
dont let the pubbies get to you
its the only way to stay sane

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Report the lowest scorers for Unsporting Behavior, move on to the next match.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

Report the lowest scorers for Unsporting Behavior, move on to the next match.

After 4 losses at the top of the scoreboard I was done.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
The game is so bizarre with how XP is given out in a game. Had a match in my Fletcher tonight, the enemy team had 2 Frieslands and a Oyster who all went to one cap. I took the center cap, and was moving away from where I knew their DDs were, but trying keep some ships spotted. All of a sudden, both Frieslands came around an island and just turbo hosed my ship. I watch them get torn apart in the crossfire since they blundered into range of a Minotaur and a Seattle. I leave the game, I get the match results popup after a game, and somehow I was 7th on the list. I was dead 4 minutes in, did less then 5k damage and honestly didn't do much, and people were still behind me.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Blindeye posted:

Im on the last step of the twitch supercontainer mission, so losing 15/20 last night wasnt that bad for me since i still got 10 top 3 results out of that for progress.
Which is why i dont give a flying poo poo about winrate since you can literally go afk and "win" a game.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Blindeye posted:

pffft. if you want to play this cursed game solo you gotta be made out of sterner stuff. observe (and these are both just from today):

I mean, look at these scoreboards:

It just isn't a real WoWS loss unless you have more base XP than most of the winning team.

The Sovetsky Soyuz is good but it is absolutely impossible to win in it. The Georgia on the other hand is 72% win rate, ez. This loving game.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
In an asymmetrical setup, i.e. 3-4-5 ships on your side, is there a way to tell if the enemy has a mirrored setup or switched?
Im tired of running into 5-6 ships on my 3-ship side and getting utterly wasted.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Yolomon Wayne posted:

In an asymmetrical setup, i.e. 3-4-5 ships on your side, is there a way to tell if the enemy has a mirrored setup or switched?
Im tired of running into 5-6 ships on my 3-ship side and getting utterly wasted.

Not as far as I know, but you might suspect that spawns will be heavily unbalanced if there are a lot of divisions around, because divs always spawn together. But it doesn't matter that much anyway because it's quite common for pubbies to decide they want to be on the other side of the map and drive all the way across in their Yamato or whatever. I was in a match recently where almost the entire team decided to do that but with different caps, so we ended up with two big lemming trains in opposite directions along the C line on Islands of Ice while like 2-3 ships attempted to contest the caps. It did not end well.

Islands of Ice has always been absolutely terrible by the way and it's impressive that despite a complete rework it's still absolutely terrible. It's almost a mirrored Mountain Range now and Mountain Range is one of the worst loving maps in the game. Okinawa is also real bad and so is Tears of the Desert. There are a lot of okay maps and some really good ones so it really pisses me off that poo poo like Islands of Ice and Tears of the Desert are so loving common in the T9/T10 rotation. Hotspot, Trap, Sea of Fortune and Warrior's Path are all pretty good, why can't we have more of them instead?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TheFluff posted:

Not as far as I know, but you might suspect that spawns will be heavily unbalanced if there are a lot of divisions around, because divs always spawn together. But it doesn't matter that much anyway because it's quite common for pubbies to decide they want to be on the other side of the map and drive all the way across in their Yamato or whatever. I was in a match recently where almost the entire team decided to do that but with different caps, so we ended up with two big lemming trains in opposite directions along the C line on Islands of Ice while like 2-3 ships attempted to contest the caps. It did not end well.

Islands of Ice has always been absolutely terrible by the way and it's impressive that despite a complete rework it's still absolutely terrible. It's almost a mirrored Mountain Range now and Mountain Range is one of the worst loving maps in the game. Okinawa is also real bad and so is Tears of the Desert. There are a lot of okay maps and some really good ones so it really pisses me off that poo poo like Islands of Ice and Tears of the Desert are so loving common in the T9/T10 rotation. Hotspot, Trap, Sea of Fortune and Warrior's Path are all pretty good, why can't we have more of them instead?

beta islands of ice :getin:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Hazdoc posted:

beta islands of ice :getin:

I barely remember what it was like but I suddenly recall I have a video of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD34JSYU9k

blast from the loving past right there. I recognize the names of at least two sorta well-known super unicums, one on each team

I was talking to my div mates in this video but my voice wasn't recorded so it's been lost to time. Probably for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tears of the Desert is a little better than Islands of Ice and it's ilk (mountain range) because it at least has two sets of giant mountains dividing the map instead of a single one :v:

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You'll only find out reliably if you have a carrier on your team and they sweep the enemy ASAP so you get an idea of how their spawn was laid out and where they're all heading. Anecdotally most of the time I find it to be a perfect mirror, unless Divs are involved. Then it could literally be anything because they all spawn together, so you can have ridiculous setups like 7-3-2 (because of two 3 man divs or three divs in general.)