Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

For a normal foam like on a sour, you do the "reverse dry shake". You add all the ingredients to the shaker and shake for like 30 seconds or so, THEN add ice and shake to chill and dilute. Strain into the glass and give it a sec, and the foam will settle and rise to the top. The drink I posted an image of up page took maybe 45 seconds to make.

As I understood, this is the dry shake, and the reverse dry involves straining into a new shaker and shaking a couple seconds to re-aerate after the ice is out. In any case, as Fart Car said, you mostly just need to use good eggs and shake hard, and not worry over much about arcane technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Kenning is correct

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My Ms. Better's Bitters came in!

I like the Grapefruit, it tastes like how the rind of a freshly peeled grapefruit smells.

Cypress Bowl has way too much of a root beer taste. It's fine, but not what I was hoping for.

This website seems to suggest making pine bitters is pretty easy. I don't have access to 100 proof vodka, though. Would Polar Ice Arctic Extreme at 90% work?

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 21, 2020

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Professor Shark posted:

My Ms. Better's Bitters came in!

I like the Grapefruit, it tastes like how the rind of a freshly peeled grapefruit smells.

Cypress Bowl has way too much of a root beer taste. It's fine, but not what I was hoping for.

This website seems to suggest making pine bitters is pretty easy. I don't have access to 100 proof vodka, though. Would Polar Ice Arctic Extreme at 90% work?

Yeah probably

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recommend me a Cognac that's not from the big 4, that's reasonably available from liquor/specialty stores, and is.. sort of inexpensive? I'm not sure what price range Cognac runs, but I'm thinking like a the cognac equivalent of Bulleit. I'm not sure specifically what Cognac I'm into or are looking for and am mainly going to fill out a cabinet for more cocktail options.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
For certain definitions of "sort of inexpensive" try Pierre Ferrand 1840. Go-to cocktail cognac for many bars. I wanna say it's $32-ish here in Atlanta, so I guess that puts it in the Bulleit ballpark. You can go cheaper and still get very good quality spirits, especially for cocktails, if you set aside the designation of Cognac and instead get a brandy that is made to similar standards but doesn't have word "cognac" on it. Darvelle Freres VSOP Brandy is fantastic for cocktails and like $22 for a liter the last time I had to order it through a distributor. Sainte Louise Brandy is a newer brand helmed by a former bartender and it's very good, around $28 for 750mL.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

Recommend me a Cognac that's not from the big 4, that's reasonably available from liquor/specialty stores, and is.. sort of inexpensive? I'm not sure what price range Cognac runs, but I'm thinking like a the cognac equivalent of Bulleit. I'm not sure specifically what Cognac I'm into or are looking for and am mainly going to fill out a cabinet for more cocktail options.

That's a pretty tall order. Remy Martin, Hennessy, and Courvoisier VSOP are all in the same $30-40 range. The lesser variants are cheaper. How cheap do you want to go? Do you care about "cognac" or just want grape brandy?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

PRADA SLUT posted:

I always get Maison Rouge when I want something to mix that's decent and it's about 25 bucks by me.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What’s the deal with Hine (or is their $35ish brandy “H by Hine?”) That’s supposed to be pretty good, yeah?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
ABK6 is usually in the same price range. on the lower side, but its far better than the rest.

so its not at all like bulleit, but its still really good.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Maison Rouge & Gilles Bresson VS & Martell VS are good cheap cocktailing Cognacs.

E: H bye Hine is good as well!

PF 1840 has become a go-to for many bars as well, but that's going to be pushing into $35-40 retail.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 21, 2020

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Going to have to find Benedictine to make a proper Vieux Carré, but this worked for a quarentine cocktails. Worked well enough to make a second one!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
She was a good girl... Momma's apple pie... Fourth of July... SHE WAS A HOOKAH!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guys, we've been doing Negronis all wrong.

https://twitter.com/Rachael_Conrad/status/1252390174215921666

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lol it is loving delicious

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Is there a difference between brands of vodka? What’s the difference between an $8 bottle and a $29 bottle? Also is gin just a type of flavored vodka?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

inferis posted:

Is there a difference between brands of vodka? What’s the difference between an $8 bottle and a $29 bottle?

Take a shot of each and see

Actual answer, not really. More expensive vodkas are often distilled more, which can make them a little less harsh. But it's really just a neutral spirit.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

No I haven’t :colbert:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

inferis posted:

Is there a difference between brands of vodka? What’s the difference between an $8 bottle and a $29 bottle? Also is gin just a type of flavored vodka?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75bAgWXLh3g

Even when actually challenged to taste test 9 different vodkas (and watered down Everclear), he still had trouble determining differences beyond some of them still having off-flavors. Kingsley Amis had some very bad ideas about alcohol, but one thing he did get right is that you save premium vodka for sipping ice cold and use cheap stuff like Smirnoff for cocktails because nobody will tell a difference. Premium vodka like Crystal Skull and Beluga are an absolute scam and Grey Goose is lovely vodka running on promotional strength. The only vodka I would say to outright avoid (other than scammy "premium" stuff that just tastes like normal vodka) is the extremely cheap brands like Kharkov, because those will be actually bad.

Yes, gin is essentially "flavored vodka." Unlike most flavored vodkas, though, it's not just adding artificial flavor to a spirit. Unless you're drinking compound gin (which does add flavoring), the gin is distilled with the botanicals either in the liquid or suspended in a basket in the still. Other than the use of juniper, the flavor of each brand of gin is thus often different from one another.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 22, 2020

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Reminder that grey goose was invented by a guy whose sole mission was "rich people will buy loving anything if it's expensive" and he wasn't wrong.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Thanks that’s a really helpful post. I’m mainly going to be making tiki drinks so I only needed the vodka in some diy syrups. I guess I’ll be good as long as I don’t buy the absolute basement stuff.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

inferis posted:

Thanks that’s a really helpful post. I’m mainly going to be making tiki drinks so I only needed the vodka in some diy syrups. I guess I’ll be good as long as I don’t buy the absolute basement stuff.

I'd you're using it as a component in a syrup just get whatever. I use SKÖL 100 proof for tinctures and bitters and it's fine.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Take a shot of each and see

Actual answer, not really. More expensive vodkas are often distilled more, which can make them a little less harsh. But it's really just a neutral spirit.

Honestly the "do a shot of each" thing came up for me a few years ago when I had the tail end of a bottle of Russian Standard and a new, on sale for $8.99 bottle of New Amsterdam on hand and it was enough to get my cheap rear end to bump up my target price point. I blindly bought the whole Alton Brown "vodka is just vodka regardless of quality" thing until then

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I bought a bottle of this once, and it was genuinely delicious to drink, but totally not worth spending $100+ on it ever again. Glad it tried it but I don't feel the need to buy another bottle. I made a couple of cocktails with it, but that felt like kind of a waste.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

inferis posted:

Others have already said this basically, but yeah while there is terrible cheap vodka, but there is little (or no) difference between okay vodka and fancy vodka. My go-to is Svedka: you can get a handle for around $20. Could I tell the difference between it and a "fancy" vodka straight? Maybe. Could anyone on Earth tell the difference when I use it vs. something else as the base for an infusion or a flavored hard soda? Absolutely not.

I mean I guess having nice vodka matters if you like vodka martinis but still not as much as the vermouth!

eSports Chaebol fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 23, 2020

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

eSports Chaebol posted:

Others have already said this basically, but yeah while there is terrible cheap vodka, but there is little (or no) difference between okay vodka and fancy vodka. My go-to is Svedka: you can get a handle for around $20. Could I tell the difference between it and a "fancy" vodka straight? Maybe. Could anyone on Earth tell the difference when I use it vs. something else as the base for an infusion or a flavored hard soda? Absolutely not.

I mean I guess having nice vodka matters if you like vodka martinis but still not as much as the vermouth!

Everyone needs to get on the vermouth train anyway. Cowards.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
There's a mild difference between vodkas, and in my experience it all really comes down to how any given vodka interacts with your body chemistry. There's sort of a line of minimum quality (~$20, depending on local taxes and stuff), and after that it's all mostly getting yourself ripped off, although some really high end stuff can be markedly different. Vodka is distilled repeatedly and typically filtered in charcoal. The repeated distillations and filtering helps to improve the quality of the alcohol and take away negative by-products, like the heads and tails. But there can be trace amounts of it left over. and that stuff can make one vodka seem harsher, shittier, whatever you wanna call it to you. They're also allowed to add stuff to it as long as it doesn't affect the flavor. Sorbitol and Glycerin are commonly added, and that poo poo can also gently caress with you. If you wanna be picky without getting expensive, look into what you can find on any given brand, and keep an eye on calorie count. ~90ish calories is about as low as you can get 1.5 oz of 80 proof alcohol. The stuff I keep in the house is Monkey In Paradise, is like ~96 calories, certified to be sugar and carb free, but it's made locally, so I don't know about it's availability. It's like thirty bucks after tax by me.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Reminder that grey goose was invented by a guy whose sole mission was "rich people will buy loving anything if it's expensive" and he wasn't wrong.

He's also involved in Grand Marnier and Jaegermeister, IIRC.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Where can I order decent quality absinthe spoons? The ones I've seen are super flimsy or ~~vintage~~ and rotting or whatever

e: for actually using, not just for decoration

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 23, 2020

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

eSports Chaebol posted:

Same. My go-to is Luksusowa.

Power of Pecota posted:

I blindly bought the whole Alton Brown "vodka is just vodka regardless of quality" thing until then
Alton Brown does not seem to like or understand alcohol.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

SpookyLizard posted:

He's also involved in Grand Marnier and Jaegermeister, IIRC.

He's responsible for promoting Jaeger and making it huge, but the product itself was created in the 1930s. GM in the 1880s.

Grey Goose on the other hand was invented out of thin air in 1997. It was entirely the creation of Sidney Frank, who saw that the nicest readily available Vodka in the US was Absolut. So he picked France because "france makes expensive things", found a french distiller, paid the Beverage Tasting Institute to "blind taste" it and call it the Best Vodka In The World, and made a cool $2 Billion when he sold it to Bacardi seven years later.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why do people drink Jaeger?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Halloween Jack posted:

Why do people drink Jaeger?

I was in rural Romania and it was either that or more Tuica

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Why not? I don't hate it, it's similar to an amaro which I like, though sweeter than most, and it can be a fun thing to drink with friends.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It’s good! It tastes sort of like licorice and dr pepper. I’ve never bought a bottle and I’ve never seen it used in any cocktails, but I wouldn’t turn down a shot.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jaeger Manifest is delicious. We blind tasted it at Bar 5 Day during the amaro session and it was pretty much universally well liked.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

my taste in food and drink is almost always the extremes of high and low culture so sure I’ll have an old fashioned or a negroni but I still like a four loko or jager and red bull

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you want to learn about the development of vodka, I would read Vodka: How a Colorless, Odorless, Flavorless Spirit Conquered America and Vodka: A Global History. The latter is a full overview of where it came from and how it's produced, but the former is a detailed explanation of how vodka first arrived in the United States at the Centennial Exhibition in Philadelphia in 1876 and gradually came to conquer the liquor market.

Grey Goose happened because 76-year-old Sidney Frank suddenly got an idea in 1996 to frame his company's vodka as a French product, with the implication that it's of the same quality as champagne and cognac, with a tall bottle that forced it to be placed higher on the shelf in clear view and a price equal to $50 today to make people think it must have been higher quality if it's an expensive French product. They did a huge advertising campaign based on their rigged taste test and got thousands of bartenders to point to it when asked what the "best tasting vodka in the world" was.

It's a crappy, cheap vodka that exists on the back of a scam artist.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Same. My go-to is Luksusowa.

This is a good choice, polacks make good stuff.

Fart Car '97 posted:

He's responsible for promoting Jaeger and making it huge, but the product itself was created in the 1930s. GM in the 1880s.

Grey Goose on the other hand was invented out of thin air in 1997. It was entirely the creation of Sidney Frank, who saw that the nicest readily available Vodka in the US was Absolut. So he picked France because "france makes expensive things", found a french distiller, paid the Beverage Tasting Institute to "blind taste" it and call it the Best Vodka In The World, and made a cool $2 Billion when he sold it to Bacardi seven years later.

Man's a goddamned genius. I mean it's annoying when people that sugar filled swill is any way a good vodka, but people think titos is healthy somehow too.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

SpookyLizard posted:

This is a good choice, polacks make good stuff.

Wisdom. Sobieski and Luksusowa are great. Affordable and tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Was looking for some fun whisky recipes and came across this

https://www.cooked.com/uk/Samantha-Evans/Quadrille-Publishing/The-Hang-Fire-Cookbook/Drinks--desserts/Stay-puft-recipe?q=stay%20puft

Can someone confirm it’s egg yolk? I feel like it should be white? Especially looking at the pic.