Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am going for Kevin, Riesz, and Carlie because Kevin is my favorite character and Riesz is my second favorite and Carlie's just there because she shares an enemy faction with Kevin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Imagine not wanting a ridiculously cartoonishly cute necromancer on your team

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
twiaws ob mana

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I'm probably going Angela/Riesz/Charlie because they are goofy and fun. Kevin is also goofy and fun, though.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Some combination of Kevin, Riese, Hawk and Charlie. Is Kevin/Riese/Hawk the 'you're SOL on healing' team?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

ChrisBTY posted:

Some combination of Kevin, Riese, Hawk and Charlie. Is Kevin/Riese/Hawk the 'you're SOL on healing' team?

Poto Oils exist, so no. :v:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Kevin gets healing in his light classes, too.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I finished the demo with Reisz/Duran/Charlotte (yes, I'm willingly bringing along the Fudd-Gnome). On Normal, which is apparently just Easy mode. Oh well, too late now. That's probably going to be the biggest issue people have with this remake - it'll be too easy with the new combat system. Because I'm liking everything else about it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly it's probably not worth stressing out about healing in the early game. You get so many Chocolates and Candies that you can survive until Kevin (or whoever) gets their healing spells.

Sure, but unless the spell lists are really different this time it's worth noting there's one party that will never get healing spells: Hawkeye, Riesz, and Angela.

I know in the original you can get by with items for the whole game but I feel like I'd probably find that at least a little annoying, so I'm kinda torn between using the three characters I most want to use (those three) or throwing someone who'll at least eventually get healing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Grimthwacker posted:

I finished the demo with Reisz/Duran/Charlotte (yes, I'm willingly bringing along the Fudd-Gnome). On Normal, which is apparently just Easy mode. Oh well, too late now. That's probably going to be the biggest issue people have with this remake - it'll be too easy with the new combat system. Because I'm liking everything else about it.

It's pretty early. Later Enemies may be more difficult.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
There may be more ways to sustain mana and health than there were. I saw Angela can get a bonus where charge attacks give a no point etc.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's pretty early. Later Enemies may be more difficult.

Supposedly, Bil and Ben are still rear end kickers

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I think I'm going to go with a Kevin and Charlotte story first since I feel like they tend to be the ones tossed to the side mostly. But I'm having trouble deciding on the third for that team.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Can't go wrong with Riesz. I'm in the middle of a Kevin/Charlotte/Riesz run on OG, with the intention of going Fatal Fist, Necro, and Star Lancer. Although, with criticals actually working this time around, it might be worth pairing Kevin and Duran/Hawkeye. I do in my dreams anyway.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm glad those finally came up. Was starting to think I'm the only crazy person who existed on those for the entire game.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Pulling items from storage was excruciatingly slow, so I could never go without a team healer. With the streamlining of items, it might be a lot more fun this time around to run item-dependent teams.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

You could still hold 9? in battle inventory at a time so it was more than enough for a while.

But yeah SD3's menu was hilariously slow.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I like how many different iterations of Charlotte's name this thread has gone through.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I like how many different iterations of Charlotte's name this thread has gone through.

I think I'm up to date, I believe in the new release it's "Cwlwtw"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zenithe posted:

Welsh, I see.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

gandlethorpe posted:

Supposedly, Bil and Ben are still rear end kickers

Oh yeah.

Bil and Ben still filter scrubs who think it's as easy as mashing Attack, Attack, Attack! The guy I watched the footage from even played on easy mode.

For the ones who don't get the memo, the Benevodons will finish the job. If you're just playing through it normally, you generally don't have the same equipment as the guy playing the Fiegmund showcase has

Late- and postgame spoilers: Black Rabite and Anise do not gently caress around. Black Rabite still has all of it's moves from the original (even if he can't counterattack anymore) and now absorbs light judging from the target info, and Anise has a very mean second phase. The latter is also required to beat if you want the actual NG+.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Folt The Bolt posted:

Oh yeah.

Bil and Ben still filter scrubs who think it's as easy as mashing Attack, Attack, Attack! The guy I watched the footage from even played on easy mode.

For the ones who don't get the memo, the Benevodons will finish the job. If you're just playing through it normally, you generally don't have the same equipment as the guy playing the Fiegmund showcase has

Late- and postgame spoilers: Black Rabite and Anise do not gently caress around. Black Rabite still has all of it's moves from the original (even if he can't counterattack anymore) and now absorbs light judging from the target info, and Anise has a very mean second phase. The latter is also required to beat if you want the actual NG+.

This sounds great. Especially that Bill and Ben retained their role as road blocks if you don't know what you're doing. And harder Benevodons are a good development. How are lategame werewolves, ninjas, and knights? Still possible party killers?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 21, 2020

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

I think I always went for Dolan last, and those werewolves tore me to shreds.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
I never beat the original when I was a kid because I got stuck on Dolan. gently caress Dolan.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

I actually somewhat remember being shocked in my demo playthrough when noticing Poto Oils now give special attack bar, not health. Maybe I misunderstood though.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Torrannor posted:

This sounds great. Especially that Bill and Ben retained their role as road blocks if you don't know what you're doing. And harder Benevodons are a good development. How are lategame werewolves, ninjas, and knights? Still possible party killers?

From what I watched, you will learn to keep the threat range in mind when you're fighting. Particularly if you're around or below the enemy's level.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

A track from the remake popped up on youtube for me, and I cannot tell you how happy I am that the snare drum has kept the original character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1STtIG76mwo

The music is so goddamn good

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I remember Sword of Mana also doing a very good job in regards to music. The songs were still in essence the same as they were in Final Fantasy Adventure, but updated to the better hardware of the GBA.

Trials of Mana seems to do the same with the SD3 music. In fact, as far as I can tell, most things, from the music, to the combat and the story and the graphics get faithfully adapted, which makes me very happy.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Zenithe posted:

A track from the remake popped up on youtube for me, and I cannot tell you how happy I am that the snare drum has kept the original character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1STtIG76mwo

The music is so goddamn good

Tell me about it. I was very happy with what I heard. Decision Bell and the Sacrifice themes sound so Goddamn good in this game.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Zenithe posted:

I think I always went for Dolan last, and those werewolves tore me to shreds.

Well there’s yer problem! :clint:

The advice I always heard (probably from some loving GameFAQs guide) was that each god beast gets stronger by 2 levels when you face them. So a strong case can be made for taking on the hard ones like Dolan and Lightgazer early so they’re leveled lower.

Also (and I didn’t notice this until replaying with Collection of Mana) the equipment that becomes available from the cat bandits outside the various godbeast areas is expensive as poo poo, and you’re probably more likely to be able to fully suit up with good poo poo early before your gold account gets totally wiped out.

e: I sort of conflated two people’s posts but w/e, still helpful info to share

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zenithe posted:

Ah, so she's Welsh.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Main Trials mechanic I want to know in advance rather than learning myself: do enemies still counter screen-freezing attacks, and if so is it telegraphed better?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Bruceski posted:

Main Trials mechanic I want to know in advance rather than learning myself: do enemies still counter screen-freezing attacks, and if so is it telegraphed better?

I believe all enemy attacks are telegraphed so even if they'd counter, you'd theoretically have a split second or so to get out of the way.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I just learned this existed. Any word on how the Switch version compares to the PC version? My guess is that the latter largely performs better?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

I just learned this existed. Any word on how the Switch version compares to the PC version? My guess is that the latter largely performs better?

there is a demo to try if you want to see how performance is. I didn't notice anything too off.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Load times are kind of not great I guess? Also UI elements are not sized in a way that's optimal for hand-held gaming but I guess that's a Switch problem in general.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I tried it on both Switch and PS4. What I heard going in was that PS4 load times are longer but it looks better. But in my experience the graphics were pretty much the same in both versions, with occasional texture pop-in occurring on both platforms. Given the portability of the Switch and the slightly shorter load times, that's the platform I decided to go with.

EDIT: A disclaimer, I got my PS4 second hand and it runs kinda lovely, so that could have had an effect on my experience

timp fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 21, 2020

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Erpy posted:

I believe all enemy attacks are telegraphed so even if they'd counter, you'd theoretically have a split second or so to get out of the way.

This. Also, for the few attacks that do hit the entire area, the boss takes some time to fully execute it. If, within that time, you destroy a certain object or objects that appear, instead of needing to take the attack, you stun the boss for a few seconds.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Do certain attributes get capped easily? Or am I going to get in trouble boosting luck because it sounds like fun down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Switch demo barely ran at 30fps and it seemed like my character was running slower than on the PS4 version. The performance differences were huge in my experience. I also have a PS4 pro so it was running at 60fps in 4K I assume.