Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well that video also says that Dark Fact is a fair challenge so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

He looks a lot more fair in the original, ngl

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
Ys Book I & II are definitely worth it if you can stomach old games. And yeah, Dark Fact is way less bullshit compared to his Eternal/Chronicles counterpart.

Dawn of Ys is even more worth it. That game is genuinely fantastic and probably the best bump combat Ys overall.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Don't play the DS version either, There's something off with the bump combat in it. I remember getting hurt no matter what angle I bumped a tentacle-y boss from as a kid and it was sadly my first experience with Ys so it took me several more years before becoming a fan

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

MythosDragon posted:

Don't play the DS version either, There's something off with the bump combat in it. I remember getting hurt no matter what angle I bumped a tentacle-y boss from as a kid and it was sadly my first experience with Ys so it took me several more years before becoming a fan

Isn't the issue with the bump combat system on the DS port that... it's not bump combat at all? They added an attack button.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Lmfao yea the DS version doesn't have bump combat in the first place.

e: you shouldnt play the ds version anyway because its a vastly inferior version to the one available on PC right now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
In III, where should I look to find the fish between Hide Shark and Noble Carp?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Justin_Brett posted:

In III, where should I look to find the fish between Hide Shark and Noble Carp?

It's a Spiky Puffer. In Chapter 3, you can catch one at Ordis Harbor, Auros Coastal Road, or Bryonia Island. In Chapter 4, they're at Heimdallr Underground.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Thank you, was looking around the chapter two areas.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Huh really? Its been over a decade so who knows what I thought I was remembering.

I can't believe Elie would use such vile language.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 19, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

To be fair the Geofront patch has a poo poo-ton of internet memes added so that's likely deliberate.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I can't believe I gotta win 400 battles, I'm at 260 after unlocking star door 14. This poo poo is whack lol

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

poe meater posted:

I can't believe I gotta win 400 battles, I'm at 260 after unlocking star door 14. This poo poo is whack lol

Meanwhile, I was at like 1600 and laughing at the puny requirement.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Trails from Zero was tremendous and is definitely in the conversation for at least my personal favorite Trails. Great cast, both main and supporting, compelling location that is helped by being so centralized/concentrated and familiar as you get to know it, and an overall plot that is incredibly refreshing after Cold Steel where it's able to tell a more or less complete story that stands on its own (with some strong assists from Sky w/ Estelle/Joshua/Renne for some of the bigger emotional beats).

I guess that this Trails' take on the laid back professor who is secretly evil was maybe the laziest and most unsatisfying of the franchise so that at least made some of the endgame a little underwhelming, but it's hard to get too mad at it when it still delivers everywhere else.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Apr 21, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It was interesting to me going from starting Steel 2's Crossbell section and going "wait, no" and then playing Zero really added a lot of context to the references being made during that part. If I was playing that without having experienced Zero I would have just been overwhelmed with names and references I know nothing about.

Of course that just made me realise there were things from Sky that I needed to know to understand Zero better. Particularly Third.

No big deal really, nothing was spoilered for me by the order I've played in, and if anything it makes for an interesting experience playing them out of chronological order because you can see how well the interacting arcs tie together.

Still need to find a way to play Azure that works.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

People are doing further fixes to the PC version as we speak. Unfortunately, there's no legitimate way to buy that version right now. Worst comes to worst, you can always emulated the translated PSP original.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Yeah, I did consider doing the extraordinary hoops to buy the Chinese translation but given the controller issues I've already mentioned it feels like a bit of a waste of money to buy something I can't use.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite bit of the games intersecting is the bit in cs3 where they go out of their way to point out duvalie was in both crossbell and erebonia within hours of each other. and then rean just goes 'well, she tries her best.'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Duvalie constantly getting owned is my favourite running gag of the series.

That or the evil penguins.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

The latest patch (Flame something?) has been fine so far through Chapter 2 on PC. I had to setup Joy2Key and CheatEngine to get 3x / 6x turbo going but I haven’t had any crashes or anything.

The translation is fine. Sure it’s missing the polish of the Geofront Zero translation and empty chest messages but it’s perfectly fine compared to waiting another year or two for a better or official translation.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Truly, the Swiftest.

Iverron posted:

The translation is fine. Sure it’s missing the polish of the Geofront Zero translation and empty chest messages but it’s perfectly fine compared to waiting another year or two for a better or official translation.

The current patch does have some completely inaccurate translations, but one or two years is extremely generous given CSIV, Zero and even Hajimari are likely to be localized before Ao.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

my favorite bit of the games intersecting is the bit in cs3 where they go out of their way to point out duvalie was in both crossbell and erebonia within hours of each other. and then rean just goes 'well, she tries her best.'

All that work, and to get stuck with McBurn.

:smith:

Iverron
May 13, 2012

grancheater posted:

Truly, the Swiftest.

The current patch does have some completely inaccurate translations, but one or two years is extremely generous given CSIV, Zero and even Hajimari are likely to be localized before Ao.

Official you’re probably right. Geofront could already be working on Ao for all I know though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Iverron posted:

Official you’re probably right. Geofront could already be working on Ao for all I know though.

Unlikely.

https://twitter.com/KillScottKill/status/1250642193984913408

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
excited for dinosaur resurrection to finally get the english version it deserves

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

geofront has basically said they're not doing ao.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I assume they keeled over and died en route to finishing zero, and thus never want to touch another trails game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Supremezero posted:

I assume they keeled over and died en route to finishing zero, and thus never want to touch another trails game.

Please. They were holding back this whole time.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
There's apparently more community upgrades for Ao than just the thing I linked earlier:

Here's a compilation of a bunch of links and screenshots showcasing a few of the things that are purely visual.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The Latest Origins info seems to have confirmed there will be parts that function the same as doors to give more insight into individual characters.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Yowza.

https://twitter.com/killscottkill/status/1253421727184326663

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

when will people stop posting images without adequate context

what am i supposed to be seeing here

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
the pixelated poo poo is the ps4 version of the crossbell games.

Falcom gave no fucks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Left is the offiicial PS4 port, right is the fan patch's uprezzing. Note how much better right looks.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wow yeah that looks real bad, what's up with that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Falcom's a small company and they probably wanted these PS4 ports out quickly but you'd think they could contract the work out or something.

I'd say 'or let NISA do it,' but, well.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
PS4 is based on the PSP version.

The PC version is China only so I guess that's the reason, I dunno.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Durante will save us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Geofront's next project is Ys vs. Trails in the Sky: Alternative Saga

That's actually pretty cool.