Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It occurs to me that given what we now know about Kevin Spacey, Outbreak might cheer people up a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Pilchenstein posted:

No, you see poachers catching an infected monkey as the source of the virus if I remember right.

The US military had a cure for the virus (from previously loving around in Africa) but did not want to use it initially so they had it available as a bioweapon if required. But then the virus mutated and their cure was worthless now, which is why they had the mad dash helicopter chase towards the end as they had to get the monkey to the lab so they could synthesize a cure for the new infected virus.

Also lots of scenes of Dustin Hoffman and Donald Sutherland yelling at each other about the virus and the cure.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The twist in Ocean's Eight is obvious from about halfway through the movie, when you realise that there's only seven of them

It's actually a really fun reveal, even with the telegraphing.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I don't get why people are watching things like Contagion and Outbreak now of all times, it's only going to make you feel worse/more scared.

Also, isn't a key plot point in Outbreak that the government want to sacrifice a small town to save the nation or something? Like, I'm sure it was received as preposterous at the time but isn't that pretty much what is going on right now to 'save muh economy'?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

nexus6 posted:

I don't get why people are watching things like Contagion and Outbreak now of all times, it's only going to make you feel worse/more scared.

Also, isn't a key plot point in Outbreak that the government want to sacrifice a small town to save the nation or something? Like, I'm sure it was received as preposterous at the time but isn't that pretty much what is going on right now to 'save muh economy'?

Yeah but both times it's considered a pretty fuckin' sinister thing to do.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

nexus6 posted:

Sometimes watching things like during a time like this that can be cathartic in a weird way. It is, and it wasn’t preposterous at the time, the zeitgeist at the time was very much that the government did a bunch of shady poo poo all the time and coverups/large scale murder was well within that purview in film.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I find it interesting to compare how we're really dealing with this compared to the movies. I was surprised at how much Contagion got right - using the term 'social distancing', bringing up face-touching etc.
They got the super-competent government response completely wrong though. IRL, Trump would be retweeting Jude Law's character and calling the whole thing fake. Romero's The Crazies is more on point in that regard.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nexus6 posted:

I don't either but then I remember I've been playing the gently caress out of Resident Evil 3 so...

I've always had a slight IIMM with the Godfather movies because I've even though I've seen them over 10 times I still can't always keep track of which character is which and who someone might be referencing from time to time.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What TV shows were the least graceful at introducing new regular characters? How many times in the Sopranos did some new guy become important, who was in prison until now and nobody felt like mentioning them?

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What TV shows were the least graceful at introducing new regular characters? How many times in the Sopranos did some new guy become important, who was in prison until now and nobody felt like mentioning them?

Dawn summers in Buffy the vampire slayer

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't either but then I remember I've been playing the gently caress out of Resident Evil 3 so...

I've always had a slight IIMM with the Godfather movies because I've even though I've seen them over 10 times I still can't always keep track of which character is which and who someone might be referencing from time to time.

I am always glad when someone dies in shows/movies with tons of named characters. Don't have to try to remember who that was anymore.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Nikki and Paulo on Lost is like the prime example of this. Two random crash survivors that we'd never seen before suddenly thrust into the spotlight out of nowhere, their very first scene was them fussing at Hurley. The backlash was so great that the writers killed them off by burying them alive.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Weren't they buried alive like, two episodes after their introduction? Production wouldn't have been able to react to any backlash, the season would have already been taped in full

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

nexus6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsSzrVhdVuw

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

What TV shows were the least graceful at introducing new regular characters?

Mr. Poopybutthole.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Penpal posted:

Weren't they buried alive like, two episodes after their introduction? Production wouldn't have been able to react to any backlash, the season would have already been taped in full

Looking it up on imdb, they were introduced in S3E3 (aired 18 Oct 2006) and killed off S3E14 (aired 28 Mar 2007), I don't think they filmed the whole season at once so there was potentially time to write them out. The episode trivia on imdb for S3E14 also says "The huge negative response of the audience to the characters of Nikki and Paolo forced the writers to kill them, although they were going to have a major plot." But it's possible that's a fan theory that was never officially confirmed, I dunno.

edit: There's an old TV Guide article that seems to back it up -
https://www.tvguide.com/news/lost-boss-explains-13850/

Eh! Frank has a new favorite as of 20:04 on Apr 20, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that really stood out in Outbreak was the movie theatre scene because everyone was watching what I remember as a lovely stick figure animation. Most of the time stories put more effort into the fake movie, or license a clip from an actual movie.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Penpal posted:

Wikipedia quoted Lindeolf from a (now dead) link to a Variety article: "Lindelof later stated, "We had the feeling with Nikki and Paulo that it wasn't right about a month before the fans started reacting. We were already starting to think, 'Maybe our instinct here has been wrong.'"

So my hunch is that the episodes went out, people hated them, the writers went "yeah that sounds about right" and killed them off.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Wikipedia quoted Lindeolf from a (now dead) link to a Variety article: "Lindelof later stated, "We had the feeling with Nikki and Paulo that it wasn't right about a month before the fans started reacting. We were already starting to think, 'Maybe our instinct here has been wrong.'"

So my hunch is that the episodes went out, people hated them, the writers went "yeah that sounds about right" and killed them off.

And it was an amazingly popular episode, and one of the most talked about deaths in the series, even 10 years later, so it was probably a good call.

Sometimes backpedalling gives you that, sometimes it gives you Rise of Skywalker

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When Topher Grace left That '70s Show they brought in a new guy who was really obviously supposed to be the new Eric. Although they ended up killing him off fairly quickly because he got a better offer on another show.

On the CW show The 100 when they introduced the character of Pike in s2 it was kind of awkward. He's brought on as a character that everybody knows and respects but for some reason was never around during all the important space station stuff in s1.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Something that really stood out in Outbreak was the movie theatre scene because everyone was watching what I remember as a lovely stick figure animation. Most of the time stories put more effort into the fake movie, or license a clip from an actual movie.

This was the same thing with the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie. Smartest computer ever built, watching literal stick figure animation on TV.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

BioEnchanted posted:

It was actually this Tom and Jerry cartoon about the measles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x1geIDJ4Gs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Qwezz posted:

Dawn summers in Buffy the vampire slayer

Literally A WizardMonk Did It.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Poochie episode of the Simpsons was extremely meta and enough to be basically a byword for characters who are killed off almost immediately after an extremely poorly handled introduction.

IUG posted:

This was the same thing with the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie. Smartest computer ever built, watching literal stick figure animation on TV.

At least in that case that was probably part of the joke.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

When Topher Grace left That '70s Show they brought in a new guy who was really obviously supposed to be the new Eric. Although they ended up killing him off fairly quickly because he got a better offer on another show.

On the CW show The 100 when they introduced the character of Pike in s2 it was kind of awkward. He's brought on as a character that everybody knows and respects but for some reason was never around during all the important space station stuff in s1.

not sure how well my 15-year-old E! inside scoop memory holds up to scrutiny but apparently ashton kutcher did an episode of punked with every cast member of that 70s show except topher. topher was allegedly super aloof toward the rest of the cast the whole run of the show, left the show early to try to launch a movie career (then spider man 3 happened lol) and everyone kind of blamed him afterward for killing the show (even though kutcher kinda dipped out first). i always thought man what a prick, he couldn't make a single gesture to indicate he appreciated his role in crafting a beloved, popular tv show with a cool, close group of people.

then we all found out danny masterson was a serial rapist and it was a bit of an open secret.

okay topher, i see you.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

God Hole posted:

left the show early to try to launch a movie career (then spider man 3 happened lol) and everyone kind of blamed him afterward for killing the show (even though kutcher kinda dipped out first).

I’m not sure if it was announced this way or not, but Topher Grace left the show first. Eric ran off to Africa at the end of season 7, while Ashton Kutcher still appeared as a guest in the 4 or 5 episodes of season 8.

Eric was supposed to be replaced by a guy named Charlie, but...

muscles like this! posted:

At least I don’t remember Charlie being completely terrible in the handful of episodes he appeared. They other people they brought in for season 8, namely the second attempted Eric replacement, Randy, and Hyde’s wife, where just awful and it became so clear almost everybody was checked out.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Kristen Schall's character in 30 Rock is the worst I can think of. Anytime she had a line that was supposed to be funny, the other person would just look at her and go one with whatever they were doing.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There must be crazy money in these shows once they hit a certain number of seasons because they do the weird casting choices just to keep a series limping along for a 8th or 9th season. I know syndication is a big deal, but that's usually a guarantee after 5 seasons.

It makes me appreciate shows that shut down when 1 of more of the ensemble decides to leave. Like Friends could still be running if they just occasionally replaced a friend.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just replacing a friend and nobody mentioning it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

Just replacing a friend and nobody mentioning it.

Replace the actor and keep the character.

My wife watches soap operas and every couple of years someone will get canned and you'll hear a voiceover, "The role of Chad is now played by so-and-so" and ta-da...Chad is now someone else. Sometimes they'll get all meta and other characters will say, "Chad, you look different. New haircut?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Doctor Who figured this out years ago, it's almost cheating.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Krispy Wafer posted:

Replace the actor and keep the character.

My wife watches soap operas and every couple of years someone will get canned and you'll hear a voiceover, "The role of Chad is now played by so-and-so" and ta-da...Chad is now someone else. Sometimes they'll get all meta and other characters will say, "Chad, you look different. New haircut?"

I always think they should do a voiceover like that every time they recast bond.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That cartoon Fairly Oddparents went on for over a decade without anyone realising. The tried adding a talking dog, a talking baby, and a gender-flipped Timmy to keep it relevant. None of them stuck.

Everyone then wrote Butch Hartman forever when he scammed people into investing a fundie Christian project.

So the record is:

John K- Trash
Butch Hartman- Trash
Stephen Hillenburg- Saint
Matt Groening- Probably knew Epstein.q

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ego-bot posted:

Kristen Schall's character in 30 Rock is the worst I can think of. Anytime she had a line that was supposed to be funny, the other person would just look at her and go one with whatever they were doing.

Kristen Schall is one of those actors like Aziz Ansari or Jason Mantzoukas where when I see them on TV I know I’m almost certainly going to hate their character. I can take them doing voice acting, sometimes, but even then I always wish it was someone else in that role.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Married With Children introduced the new kid Seven by his parents just dropping him off with the Bundys. He was also unceremoniously written off by just not appearing again after a few episodes.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Boy Meets World had the little sister character, Morgan, disappear for like a season? Then the actress got replaced and came back after "the longest timeout ever".

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wasn't there a daughter on Family Matters who went upstairs one day and never came down?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It happens a lot in soap operas and long running shows. I think Happy Days infamously had Chuck go upstairs and never come down, and soap operas often have kids be dramatically born and then disappear for years til they're teenagers old enough for a summer romance. (usually growing up very improbably fast)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Soap operas are great because they just reuse the same plot lines. Everyone gets married 6 or 12 times because the fans like the wedding excitement. Then something happens at the wedding or shortly afterwards and they break up because actual marriage is dull.

Having babies is big too, but only the drama in making the baby and having it. So the children get age-progressed to teenagers where they can have their own drama. But only in the Spring, because they gear the teenage story lines to the Summer since school is out. Then at some point they kill off the teenager.

The childhood mortality rate in these soap opera cities is Somalia level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You could get away with these kinds of things before everything became serialized and people binge watched seasons at a time.