Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Said friend also tried her Arabic out in a supermarket. She wanted 1kg of olives. All she could remember was that it was a word beginning with Z. So she asked for a kilo of Zebb instead of zeitoon. She was standing by the olives so the shopkeeper with his eyes goggling out of his head and his face going purple gave her the olives.
Half an hour later, he turned up on her doorstep and said "Excuse me, I must speak with your husband". I leave it as an exercise for the reader to guess what she had in fact asked for!

I have no idea and no possible way to guess, except that it's probably obscene. How about explaining the joke for the benefit of the everyone except you in the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Googling "zebb Arabic" was very hard and I feel excluded

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Zebb means cock, apparently.

Where's a good place to get a laptop? Have a £350 budget, want an i5, 8gb ram, other junk - could do with it sooner rather than later (apologies if this is the wrong thread)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

feedmegin posted:

My boss ordered a 32kg sack of flour from some place online. It's around, as long as you want a lot of it.

Couldn't find paprika for the life of me, online shops not delivering any, co-op was cleaned out, so I ended up on amazon. "Oh, they do it in big tubs, but it's cheaper if I go to their ebay shop", then at ebay, "Oh, they do combined postage, but it's cheaper if I go to their website", on their website, "Oh if I spend over £25 it's free delivery!"

£30 of random spices later... I don't think it was cheaper, but I have a lot of paprika and chilli on the way! (https://www.naturekitchen.co.uk/ seems legit)

^^^ Ebay, Lenovo x230 ex-corporate, grab an ssd and some more ram seperately.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Apr 21, 2020

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I thought that stuff was normally sold by the pound

ha ha it's a sex joke

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

This is the lamest dystopia ever, what with flour being a black market good hidden under the counter and needing the secret free mason handshake just to get a few grams for an illicit home baked crumpet

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jose posted:

Amazon finally had clippers that could go past a 4 in stock for cheap although it's not the guards that are adjustable. Anyway gonna give my head a 3 all over tomorrow for the first time and see how it is

post pics

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

justcola posted:

Where's a good place to get a laptop? Have a £350 budget, want an i5, 8gb ram, other junk - could do with it sooner rather than later (apologies if this is the wrong thread)

'Sooner rather than later' might be an issue unless things have improved in the last couple of weeks. Everybody and their brother in corporate has been buying laptops given the entire country was suddenly expected to work from home.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Borrovan posted:

My brother (front line NHS staff (&incidentally tested positive for covo!)) was saying that false negatives are way safer than false positives, based on the assumption that if you test positive you can just go back to work when you're better. If they get a negative result, his NHS Trust just keep testing until you come back positive.

Best not to gently caress around with this ime, had some dealings with copyright enforcers a while back, can't remember if I posted about it but oh my God they are the biggest cunts I've ever dealt with, way more aggressive (& aggressively stupid) than your common-or-garden debt collectors. That was literally the only time I ever genuinely lost my temper doing legal poo poo.

If you use a photo off the web on your blog, there's no fair use argument, you've literally reproduced it in full, and they can (& will) demand payment. Even if the photo in question is that famous one of Safiyah Khan (I think her name is?) standing up to the EDL & you're using it to encourage standing up to the EDL. So I've heard.

Unrelated, imo cooking nice meals to enjoy with your loved ones is a really nice way to feel at least a bit normal, & I really want a haircut.

Yes, some people I know have had an extremely expensive run in with enforcers from a certain company because the 7 letter name of their company contained 3 letters the same as Bastard Company.

I do some fairly basic website stuff for friends and relatives and I have to continually nag at them that 'no, you can't just copy a paragraph from wikipedia' and 'no you can't use that photo just because you found it on google, you have to get permission from the owner'. Sometimes it's very hard to track down the original owner of an image if it appears in multiple locations, and sometimes owners do not reply to requests so too bad, you have to use another image.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

I have no idea and no possible way to guess, except that it's probably obscene. How about explaining the joke for the benefit of the everyone except you in the thread?

It means penis. (I've added that to the original now. Sorry for not explaining earlier).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 21, 2020

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

While all the other men under lockdown are shaving their heads as a means of re-establishing a sense of control I am going to let it grow out as long as possible so when people see me in person again I'll have moved right onto the 'glorious mane' length without suffering the 'terrible mullet' phase.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't necessarily have to do the mullet phase, you could have what I have whereby it sort of grows in on itself in an expanding cone out of the top of your head until it reaches critical mass and falls down.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

justcola posted:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-X1-...5c-de1f3b572a57

Spend a tenner on some Blutak for the corner and you’re golden

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jose posted:

Amazon finally had clippers that could go past a 4 in stock for cheap although it's not the guards that are adjustable. Anyway gonna give my head a 3 all over tomorrow for the first time and see how it is

I did mine a 6 all over. I want to try and fade it into around 3 around my ears but even using a load of big mirrors I found it so difficult seeing the back of my head properly. There is pretty much zero chance I will be able to round in a straight line. I wish i could just get the stuff away from my ears though.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Kegluneq posted:

Where the absolute gently caress are you bread bakers getting your flour from?!

Rapidly running out tbh. Hoping to get hold of a 25kg bag from a local mill but their delivery slots disappear pretty quickly.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I have some flour and I'll be using it to make that greatest of dishes; toad-in-the-hole.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

namesake posted:

While all the other men under lockdown are shaving their heads as a means of re-establishing a sense of control I am going to let it grow out as long as possible so when people see me in person again I'll have moved right onto the 'glorious mane' length without suffering the 'terrible mullet' phase.

Same.

*Artist's depitction. May definitely 100% not reflect the reality of the appearance of forums user Pesky Splinter or the end result of the experimental coiffure

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't know pecs could get that large.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I finally found some flour yesterday in Tesco, first time I've seen any for weeks and weeks. They only had plain flour and there were only a few left when I got there, but hooray I can have my sourdough loaf again and maybe try some fun recipes while I'm flush with cash flour.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pesky Splinter posted:

Same.

*Artist's depitction. May definitely 100% not reflect the reality of the appearance of forums user Pesky Splinter or the end result of the experimental coiffure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xszIaNpYILY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg52V_bOIuY

As for Fabio singing - he's as 'good' as William Shatner... erm....

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Apr 21, 2020

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I would kill everyone in this thread for just one pack of that easy yeast. poo poo's like gold dust. Morrisons had flour yesterday, but they had literally stuck it in the thick paper bags they put pasties and stuff in and put a label on it, so I'm guessing they just used the flour they get in bulk for their bakers and decided to sell it in lieu of having any of their regular stock.

We ordered yeast off Amazon and they sent us an extra pack for some reason, now we have too much yeast.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I didn't know pecs could get that large.

Pecs or GTFO

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Nettle Soup posted:

Couldn't find paprika for the life of me, online shops not delivering any, co-op was cleaned out, so I ended up on amazon. "Oh, they do it in big tubs, but it's cheaper if I go to their ebay shop", then at ebay, "Oh, they do combined postage, but it's cheaper if I go to their website", on their website, "Oh if I spend over £25 it's free delivery!"

£30 of random spices later... I don't think it was cheaper, but I have a lot of paprika and chilli on the way! (https://www.naturekitchen.co.uk/ seems legit)

^^^ Ebay, Lenovo x230 ex-corporate, grab an ssd and some more ram seperately.

Thanks (and thanks Total Meatlove) - my previous history of buying laptops has been terrible, I can understand desktops but laptops, sheesh.

I'm letting my hair and beard grow out as well as exercising. After looking at exercise videos on YouTube I've stopped getting constant ads for Grammerly and now get the following piece of ridiculum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xMt8-yGkX8

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/SunApology/status/1252551405916864512?s=19

:hmmyes:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Also based on this map, you can see who got tea over land from traders in China, and who got it by sea from the Southern ports.

And who was just boiling random plants.

Older folks in Ireland call it cha and I've heard cha in Liverpool too. I'd like to do an extensive interdisciplinary tea/cha study with my life maybe

Actually just as common around belfast is "char" which sounds very different from cha for those of us who show proper respect for the letter R

crispix fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 21, 2020

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
re laptops: this is what you want

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/le...-lenovo-3445336

need to buy winders but otherwise a scorchingly hot deal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

crispix posted:

Older folks in Ireland call it cha and I've heard cha in Liverpool too. I'd like to do an extensive interdisciplinary tea/cha study with my life maybe
My grandad did sometimes too, but the product as sold in shops would always be tea.

Same with beer and all the other words for it.

Speaking of, no idea what's going on in the Hebrides etymology wise.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Same with beer and all the other words for it.

Speaking of, no idea what's going on in the Hebrides etymology wise.

From Old Irish (parent language for Irish Gaeilge, Manx and Scots Gaelic).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is that also where the Manx originates from too, and is there a proposed PIE root? It sounds quite different from the rest. (Excluding Basque which is like the only pre-PIE language to survive in Europe.)

It's interesting that there's no trace of that in Ireland itself (so says the mappe), as some of the last exclusively Gaelic speaking settlements in Ireland were supposedly Presbytarian Scots Highlanders in Ulster (but not in NI), who would have presumably said leann.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol I'm not shaving my head for some sense of control I just get annoyed at it when it's longer particularly now I'm going running and getting sweaty.

Anyway I know we're all slating starmers poo poo response to covid but he has nothing on the democrat leaders

https://twitter.com/peterjhasson/status/1252374440572157956?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would imagine that Ireland is probably more influenced by the english word than the more remote islands. Old dialects and words often only really survive in isolated places.

Jose posted:

Anyway I know we're all slating starmers poo poo response to covid but he has nothing on the democrat leaders

https://twitter.com/peterjhasson/status/1252374440572157956?s=19

They aren't even loving wrong lol. Honestly if the republicans want to burn down the entire idea that the political class gives a poo poo about you, it'd be one of the only useful things they've done.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 21, 2020

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Oh I meant to say - I listened to the latest UKMT podcast yesterday and I liked the format and learned a lot. Now I feel smart about Europe.

Also if anyone else like me didn't fancy reading the 860 pages of the Labour report and wants to get all angried up again, the WDTATW boys read it and did a good episode going through it in depth where they brought up some stuff I hadn't heard about so far.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So a friend of mine and fellow Labour member has sent me a link about a live meeting for something called The 'Workers Party UK' called the death of Project Corbyn, hosted by George Galloway. What's a tactful way to tell her that it's best worth avoiding?

Aside from being a different party, of course.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

I suspect it used to be a lot more common generally at least for working class people. And we did own India after all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The one he teamed up with the CPGBML for?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Yvonmukluk posted:

So a friend of mine and fellow Labour member has sent me a link about a live meeting for something called The 'Workers Party UK' called the death of Project Corbyn, hosted by George Galloway. What's a tactful way to tell her that it's best worth avoiding?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Iggy Pop looking a lot healthier these days.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

crispix posted:

Actually just as common around belfast is "char" which sounds very different from cha for those of us who show proper respect for the letter R

I heard old people down here call it char as well. I never made the connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

Aside from being a different party, of course.

Why wold you want to avoid that? Sounds incredible.