Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Google is great. If you happen to actually pay them for a business account you get all kinds of surprising services that don't work. Makes perfect sense! Pay for more and get less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I hope this is the right thread for this.

I'm making drum videos for fun and profit because the plague has canceled all my summer tour work. I have my old PX1 which is serving as a video camera just fine, but I'd like to be able to control at least record, stop and pause on that phone from my px4. Basically using it as a remote over wifi.

Old-phone-as-security-camera articles and apps don't seem to have the functionality I need.

Any suggestions for an app, or any baked-in methods? Thanks!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I think it'd be easier to just record everything and then edit it later than it would to hack together a solution with another phone.

Or you could get a GoPro which I believe let's you just use an app.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Oh I do record and edit like that, but having to get up and cross the room to stop and restart for each "take" is tedious and wastes a lot of time.

And I'd rather not spend on a gopro when the old phone is working just fine except for a couple of convenience issues which it seems should be easy enough to remedy.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
One of those Bluetooth remotes like they use for selfie sticks ought to be dirt cheap and do the job.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

isndl posted:

One of those Bluetooth remotes like they use for selfie sticks ought to be dirt cheap and do the job.

I just tested one with my phone, it works fine.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Ooh awesome idea. Any recommended brands avail on Amazon?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Maybe use something like Teamviewer to remote in from the PX4 to the PX1? I don't know if that would have any effect on the recording though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/04/20/android-stability-flaw-is-causing-some-phones-mostly-pixels-to-freeze-up-completely/

Android Police is having their (starting to become annual) issue with Android phones slowing down. This time it's their Pixels but others are chiming in saying it's happening on other devices too from Motorola to Samsung's Galaxy S 10. Apparently it happens on Android 10 but also on Android 11?

It seems to be coming from a recent update to the Pixel launcher and phones that may be using it, officially or not.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I swear, Artem has every possible issue with every phone he's ever touched. He's loving cursed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, at this point I completely dismiss his criticism of everything because he's either got some really weird use case or he's secretly magneto and ruins devices by being near them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, at this point I completely dismiss his criticism of everything because he's either got some really weird use case or he's secretly magneto and ruins devices by being near them.

Me too. He either the is most unlucky person in the entire human race or he has a phone voodoo doll that he takes a poo poo on every morning.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It's pretty much every year at this point that something happens and it's always some kind of slowdown.

Still never found out what the Googlers who went to his house found out about the 3..or was it the 2? Honestly, at this point, they probably showed up for both devices.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's pretty much every year at this point that something happens and it's always some kind of slowdown.

Still never found out what the Googlers who went to his house found out about the 3..or was it the 2? Honestly, at this point, they probably showed up for both devices.

Oh lmao I totally forgot about that. Actual Google engineers went "wtf" and visited his home hahaha

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anyone having issues with the camera app on a Nokia 7 Plus since android 10 dropped? Both nokia camera app and the (old and updated) pixel app after a bunch of shots stops capturing pics at all. I need to reboot the phone to fix it, temporarily.

Seems that others are having issues with it and may be Nokia's fault to not release a fix for their camera module or whatever but is kind of annoying since it can happen after 10 or 30 shots.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/04/20/android-stability-flaw-is-causing-some-phones-mostly-pixels-to-freeze-up-completely/

Android Police is having their (starting to become annual) issue with Android phones slowing down. This time it's their Pixels but others are chiming in saying it's happening on other devices too from Motorola to Samsung's Galaxy S 10. Apparently it happens on Android 10 but also on Android 11?

It seems to be coming from a recent update to the Pixel launcher and phones that may be using it, officially or not.

I've had the UI freezing issue a occasionally, but I just chalked it up to whatever app it was causing it and not Android as a platform or my device specifically.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

I've had the UI freezing issue a occasionally, but I just chalked it up to whatever app it was causing it and not Android as a platform or my device specifically.

Actually this sounds like the freezing issues that were being reported in the Awful app thread which got fixed in the last security update.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

I've had the UI freeze some recently including when unlocking the phone on Android 10 on my Pixel 3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Man, Fedex is just being antagonistic now. My OP8P has been in the local area since Sunday, but it's not going to get to me until tomorrow because "Package not due for Delivery." Basically, it's "We don't care that it came from one state away, you didn't pay for expedited shipping so you aren't getting it early."

Apparently though, OnePlus pushed an update out just a day or so ago that greatly improved a lot of the camera issues that some had during their testing in specific situations and a lot are saying it's on just about a level playing field with Pixel, iPhone, and S20 devices now.

I'm actually anxious to try out the macro mode which will be a breath of fresh air after the S20 ultra that seemingly can't focus on anything closer than an arms-length and a half away.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Man, Fedex is just being antagonistic now. My OP8P has been in the local area since Sunday, but it's not going to get to me until tomorrow because "Package not due for Delivery." Basically, it's "We don't care that it came from one state away, you didn't pay for expedited shipping so you aren't getting it early."
i'm not exactly going to sit here and say for certain that's not what's happening, but i'm not sure if you've been keeping up with the news, there could be some complicating factors in terms of deliveries going on that would result in deciding to deliver "just" on time...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sleepwalkers posted:

i'm not exactly going to sit here and say for certain that's not what's happening, but i'm not sure if you've been keeping up with the news, there could be some complicating factors in terms of deliveries going on that would result in deciding to deliver "just" on time...

Oh, I know, it's just that FedEx has traditionally been the bottom barrel garbage delivery service before all this went down.

I know they are fond of stacking packages directly in front of my door, which makes it impossible to actually OPEN the door to get them (especially when they freeze to the porch.) I've also usually had to tack an extra day on to the estimate they give because a package will be "out for delivery" and then end up back at the warehouse for 'reasons.'

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
People wanting cheap to non existent delivery fees and then complaining about cheap to non existent delivery service will never not be funny to me

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Would I notice much of a performance difference going from a OP3T (SD 821) to a Moto G8 Power (SD 665)? I don't do anything particularly intensive on my phone, the only game I play isn't very graphically intense, and I don't usually use many apps at once. The most demanding thing my phone does is probably Android Auto running Maps and GPM at the same time.

I was going to pick up a OP8 but I don't think the price tag is really justified for my use case. Lack of NFC doesn't bother me on the Moto since I have a smartwatch with Google Pay.

e: One concern is I need dual SIM, and it looks like the Moto has dual SIM?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Apparently though, OnePlus pushed an update out just a day or so ago that greatly improved a lot of the camera issues that some had during their testing in specific situations and a lot are saying it's on just about a level playing field with Pixel, iPhone, and S20 devices now.

I'm actually anxious to try out the macro mode which will be a breath of fresh air after the S20 ultra that seemingly can't focus on anything closer than an arms-length and a half away.

I just tried macro on the OP7T and it's pretty good! Tiny ladybug larva, macro mode screen prompt told me to put the phone so close I thought I was going to hit it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

BabyFur Denny posted:

People wanting cheap to non existent delivery fees and then complaining about cheap to non existent delivery service will never not be funny to me

Except some carriers manage to do it just fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Motorola Edge+ is going to be $1000 on Verizon and has a 1080p 90hz screen.

Oh, but they guaranteed at least ONE android update!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

Except some carriers manage to do it just fine.

Name one.

UPS is just as poo poo in some areas. (I've got accounts with both FedEx and UPS, and both have their issues in my area, but my discounts are much bigger with FedEx, so they get most of my business)
DHL barely exists in the US, and I've had all sorts of duty/VAT issues with them in the past.
Every LTL carrier I've used is staffed by smooth-brains and driven by wackos.
USPS only applies for small packages and Flat-Rate, and is only competitive domestically.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

sharkytm posted:

Name one.

UPS is just as poo poo in some areas. (I've got accounts with both FedEx and UPS, and both have their issues in my area, but my discounts are much bigger with FedEx, so they get most of my business)
DHL barely exists in the US, and I've had all sorts of duty/VAT issues with them in the past.
Every LTL carrier I've used is staffed by smooth-brains and driven by wackos.
USPS only applies for small packages and Flat-Rate, and is only competitive domestically.

I have had almost zero problems with any of them. So, it's definitely possible.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've had problems with all of them, but depending on where I lived. Eg, one apartment would be poo poo for FedEx, but great with UPS, the next apartment would be opposite.

Haven't had issues with any of them in years. Guess the people serving the house I am renting are much better than the people who served the apartment buildings!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Heh, an hour ago I watched the fedex guy deliver to the house next door. He literally stood in the middle of the yard and underhanded chucked the box at the general area of the front porch.

I mean, I don't want to be all that critical of people who are doing essential services right now (which is why I'm not reporting it to fedex) except for the fact that this behavior has been consistent for years.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I occasionally have DHL deliver up here in Canada, and they're poo poo. Worst of the five we have here.
Followed by UPS, but that's more due to they're being in the literal rear end-end of the city when I have no car, and the only bus going out there only runs twice (before and after factory shifts).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The DHL packages I've received all looked like they were shot out of a T shirt cannon from the truck to my front door

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

UPS is driving me nuts at the moment as every driver is unmasked and insisting I show up right then as they have me take a package from them by hand. I can't figure out any way to authorize them to just leave the package by my door, and I've usually scrambled to put on my (kinda crappy looking and homemade) cloth mask before answering and at least once gotten laughed at, so I genuinely don't know what to do. Oh, and if I don't answer right then (usually less than a minute.) they take it to a local frequently busy Michaels for a drop-off point with no security where you have to wait in line for the checkout to get to it. I don't even know what they're doing now with non-essential businesses closed in my area, and I don't want to find out.

Weirdly enough I've had the least issues with DHL (mostly for international shipping) of private shippers, but I appear to be an abberation there.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Oh apparently a year ago I marked down in my calendar that tomorrow is Google Fi's birthday and they ran some sales on their phones last year I guess in case I found myself looking for a phone at this time (I'm not). No idea if they'll do anything but maybe look for that?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

I have had almost zero problems with any of them. So, it's definitely possible.

It's all about your location.

I live in a summer tourist destination and there's a huge difference in delivery quality between the on and off seasons. Luckily, I know both my UPS and FedEx Express drivers and they take good care of me. If they're out for some reason, it's a crap shoot. Ditto with FedEx ground. They don't have regular drivers, so who knows what you get. DHL, lol.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

sharkytm posted:

It's all about your location.

I live in a summer tourist destination and there's a huge difference in delivery quality between the on and off seasons. Luckily, I know both my UPS and FedEx Express drivers and they take good care of me. If they're out for some reason, it's a crap shoot. Ditto with FedEx ground. They don't have regular drivers, so who knows what you get. DHL, lol.

Yeah, I get this. My point was that it's obviously not impossible to deliver good service at the prices they charge, thus it's not stupid to complain about the service they deliver.

Also...it sounds like you are getting service that is not "cheap to non-existent", no?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 21, 2020

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Oh, I know, it's just that FedEx has traditionally been the bottom barrel garbage delivery service before all this went down.

I know they are fond of stacking packages directly in front of my door, which makes it impossible to actually OPEN the door to get them (especially when they freeze to the porch.) I've also usually had to tack an extra day on to the estimate they give because a package will be "out for delivery" and then end up back at the warehouse for 'reasons.'

I'm pretty sure Amazon's taken that crown away.

My P4XL was supposed to be here today and "guaranteed" but now it's coming in mid-May just because I put money in the e-gift card thing. The response I got was basically "But the virus is still out there so packages are delayed"...yes, but that has nothing to do with an electronic gift card fund. Yet, you can buy any Amazon Basics item and they'll ship it to you immediately. Anything not Amazon Basics can take up to a month or more. They're still pushing the essential line...which just means they're not shipping masks, rubbing alcohol, or sanitizer to non-hospitals.

I've had 3 friends cancel Amazon Prime since it's kind of worthless at the moment.

Meanwhile, the smartwatch I got from FedEx was delivered late. My roommate ordered the same watch, got it the day he was supposed to from FedEx...but FedEx gave my watch to deliver to USPS to deliver instead of just delivering both boxes at the same time on the same day to the same residence.

I think shipping is broken everywhere. Understandably so but still frustrating especially in some cases.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Would I notice much of a performance difference going from a OP3T (SD 821) to a Moto G8 Power (SD 665)? I don't do anything particularly intensive on my phone, the only game I play isn't very graphically intense, and I don't usually use many apps at once. The most demanding thing my phone does is probably Android Auto running Maps and GPM at the same time.

I was going to pick up a OP8 but I don't think the price tag is really justified for my use case. Lack of NFC doesn't bother me on the Moto since I have a smartwatch with Google Pay.

e: One concern is I need dual SIM, and it looks like the Moto has dual SIM?

https://nanoreview.net/en/soc-compare/qualcomm-snapdragon-821-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-665

Glancing over the benchmarks it looks like a bit of a wash between them. The 821 is slightly higher scoring in single core, but the 665 is almost double in multicore (since it has double the cores)

Where do you live and what's your price point?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm pretty sure Amazon's taken that crown away.

My P4XL was supposed to be here today and "guaranteed" but now it's coming in mid-May just because I put money in the e-gift card thing. The response I got was basically "But the virus is still out there so packages are delayed"...yes, but that has nothing to do with an electronic gift card fund. Yet, you can buy any Amazon Basics item and they'll ship it to you immediately. Anything not Amazon Basics can take up to a month or more. They're still pushing the essential line...which just means they're not shipping masks, rubbing alcohol, or sanitizer to non-hospitals.

I've had 3 friends cancel Amazon Prime since it's kind of worthless at the moment.

Meanwhile, the smartwatch I got from FedEx was delivered late. My roommate ordered the same watch, got it the day he was supposed to from FedEx...but FedEx gave my watch to deliver to USPS to deliver instead of just delivering both boxes at the same time on the same day to the same residence.

I think shipping is broken everywhere. Understandably so but still frustrating especially in some cases.

How fast they can ship something to you right now (well I guess always!) depends on multiple factors. I know a lot of product categories right now I can switch between multiple competing products and get shipping times from a few days to a few weeks.

I get 2-6 shipments a week from Amazon and still don't really have much of a problem getting fast shipping, I just have to watch what I select.

I imagine they just keep Basics items in more locations. I wouldn't necessarily say they're pushing Basics items over masks, etc, it's just that they don't have those things close to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

How fast they can ship something to you right now (well I guess always!) depends on multiple factors. I know a lot of product categories right now I can switch between multiple competing products and get shipping times from a few days to a few weeks.

I get 2-6 shipments a week from Amazon and still don't really have much of a problem getting fast shipping, I just have to watch what I select.

I imagine they just keep Basics items in more locations. I wouldn't necessarily say they're pushing Basics items over masks, etc, it's just that they don't have those things close to you.

Yeah I understand it's a lot more than just "Hey, they want to push Basics", it just seems weird that they're not putting those on hold.

Though I still don't get what would radically change the date for an order just because I basically changed the payment option from a card to Amazon credit.