Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

a fatguy baldspot posted:

i’ve actually grown to like the expanded map from HIP, going back to plus’s vanilla provinces was a shock.

Changed map makes me hesitant to try HIP. I also remember trying it years back and was disappointed by the events they added. Immersion breaking. Not that vanilla doesn't have bad legacy events (a pretty wench throws herself at you) but that's another story. More is not always better.

I myself never got into any CK2 mods that changed checksum. I still have some of those Monarch Challenges to do. I also never played as Nomads or Indians (as in those who live in India. But I haven't played as our Aztec overlords too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm a pagan chief with agnatic gavelkind and the king of country ambition, but I get 'no valid casus belli' when trying to slay my neighbours - what gives?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Tias posted:

I'm a pagan chief with agnatic gavelkind and the king of country ambition, but I get 'no valid casus belli' when trying to slay my neighbours - what gives?

Is it Agnatic Elective Gavelkind?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ilitarist posted:

also never played as Nomads or Indians (as in those who live in India. But I haven't played as our Aztec overlords too).

You should try playing Indians at least once before CK3 comes out. In many ways, they play like vanilla CK2 Catholics, but are still different enough to merit at least one game as them. It's also kinda fun with the religion switch mechanic, and the game encouraging you to deliberately change the culture of your heirs a few times to use the unique Indian religion subjugation CB. And since there's so little cost to switching religions, it's not hard to see most of the unique events in a hundred or two hundred (game) years of play.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Neurion posted:

Is it Agnatic Elective Gavelkind?

There's the problem, thanks!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

India is also front-row seats for China shenanigans, which led to me Sinicizing all of India and Persia. Good times.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Mildly hopeful that CK3 eventually just extends the map out to China and possibly even Japan

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Mildly hopeful that CK3 eventually just extends the map out to China and possibly even Japan

But why?

Edit: They really should have gone the other way on the China DLC and done it with the Aztecs instead, like the mod does.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Have they shown the map for CK3 yet?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Chalks posted:

Have they shown the map for CK3 yet?

Has India even been confirmed in CK3 at release?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Demiurge4 posted:

But why?

Edit: They really should have gone the other way on the China DLC and done it with the Aztecs instead, like the mod does.

Because I like to play in the far east in EU4 and want to mess around with Chinese Imperial court intrigue. Not sure why thats so shocking.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Weavered posted:

Indian religions (and Confucianism) are in so it would be weird if India itself wasn't.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The thing about China is that it's essentially its own game, I'd think.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I think the line was that the map is going to extend further east than CK2 but not to China. Maybe through Tibet?

Also there was a DD today on Holy Orders.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Weavered posted:

Yeah, there's a map of India in one of their recent dev diaries. I was surprised that they'd be including that in the first release so I was wondering whether they'd confirmed exactly how big the map is going to be.

Given the inclusion of India I imagine it'll be approximately the same as the current CK2 map, but I've not actually seen it anywhere. I remember with Imperator they showed a WIP version of the world map very early on

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Anno posted:

I think the line was that the map is going to extend further east than CK2 but not to China. Maybe through Tibet?

Also there was a DD today on Holy Orders.

i like that you can create your own holy orders, that's neat!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
So Empire play seems to be way easier than playing as a King with multiple king titles. The succession from my ruler that created the empire to the heir was easy. There were no significant factions and none that were gunning for the imperial title. The heir was pretty unimpressive too.

If I can create/usurp king titles within my empire, should I always do that or wait until I really need to chill a vassal out? Right now, in addition to Emperor, I hold two legit king titles (Pomerania and Bohemia) and one titular king title (Thuringia). I created a small kingdom (Moravia) and I could usurp Poland. I could also create another titular kingdom, Franconia. I'm not too keen on usurping Poland because it rivals my king titles in size, at least in land but probably not in troops. Bohemia as a kingdom has become a lot smaller than its de jure borders. If I push a bit further East I can probably usurp Lithuania. I'm 3-4 counties away from being able to usurp Bavaria to the South.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

i like that you can create your own holy orders, that's neat!

Apparently everyone can, even those of custom faiths. I wonder how many will actually be on the map in a normal game.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Look Sir Droids posted:

So Empire play seems to be way easier than playing as a King with multiple king titles. The succession from my ruler that created the empire to the heir was easy. There were no significant factions and none that were gunning for the imperial title. The heir was pretty unimpressive too.

If I can create/usurp king titles within my empire, should I always do that or wait until I really need to chill a vassal out?

Thats what I usually do: I create/usurp kingdom titles when available and wait until I need an opinion boost with a vassal to give it. Duchys, since we cant hoard many of then cause of the opinion penalty, I just wont create and also wait until I need to improve relations with the vassal and then create it and give it him/her. Sometimes they will create it by themselves, but most times they wont

Also keep in mind that you cant always usurp (you cant, for example, if the target is at war, which happens very often), so is better to do it immediately when possible

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Anno posted:

Apparently everyone can, even those of custom faiths. I wonder how many will actually be on the map in a normal game.

sounds like it’s expensive since they implied only kings and emperors get access to it

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.
I managed to reform Hellenism from the 769 start date. I used Proselytizing nature, Hierocratic leadership and the Civilized and Equality doctrines.

Has anyone else reformed a pagan religion with Holy Fury and if so, what traits did you give it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Factor_VIII posted:

I managed to reform Hellenism from the 769 start date. I used Proselytizing nature, Hierocratic leadership and the Civilized and Equality doctrines.

Has anyone else reformed a pagan religion with Holy Fury and if so, what traits did you give it?

most recent reformation was Romuva, started in Kiev and worked my way north. Cosmopolitan, animistic, astrology, autonomous. mostly just seeing some options that I havent seen before, thought it might be neat to mingle Tengri and Romuva in Crimea, was actually a bit boring. I liked animistic's coming of age thing and the autonomous sects though, they were neat. might try it again with like, slavic or something.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
Newbie post
Gavelkind succession has kinda screwed me over. I managed to invade and take over a neighboring county (Deasmhumhaw?) as I said in a previous post, but then my guy died and that county went to the second son and not my now-current guy. So I'm back down to one demesne, and the other nearby areas are controlled by rulers with multiple counties or whatever and thus much bigger armies.

I thought about attacking Deasmhumhaw again and taking it over from my brother, but I'm next in line to rule over it anyways. The brother only had one son, and he died some time ago, as did his wife, and currently he's sick, mad, and gone into hiding, so hopefully I can outlive him and get it back. (edit: I also started a plot to have him killed, but my spy-masters have sucked, I've gone through four or five of them now, including one that was killed by my marshal for some reason) If not, my son is next in line for it.

Speaking of my son, somehow he ended up near Italy (or whatever the area is called in the 900s) serving some other ruler, along with his sister, and is apparently leading an army. I think I wasn't paying close enough attention while playing as my current guy's father lol

Just gonna keep on and see what happens.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Eh! Frank posted:

Newbie post
Gavelkind succession has kinda screwed me over. I managed to invade and take over a neighboring county (Deasmhumhaw?) as I said in a previous post, but then my guy died and that county went to the second son and not my now-current guy. So I'm back down to one demesne, and the other nearby areas are controlled by rulers with multiple counties or whatever and thus much bigger armies.

I thought about attacking Deasmhumhaw again and taking it over from my brother, but I'm next in line to rule over it anyways. The brother only had one son, and he died some time ago, as did his wife, and currently he's sick, mad, and gone into hiding, so hopefully I can outlive him and get it back. (edit: I also started a plot to have him killed, but my spy-masters have sucked, I've gone through four or five of them now, including one that was killed by my marshal for some reason) If not, my son is next in line for it.

Speaking of my son, somehow he ended up near Italy (or whatever the area is called in the 900s) serving some other ruler, along with his sister, and is apparently leading an army. I think I wasn't paying close enough attention while playing as my current guy's father lol

I'm also a newb, on my first run. I ran in to similar problems. What's your highest title? If you have a higher title than your brother you can try to goad him in to rebelling. If he has any plots going, you can imprison him rightfully without a vassal opinion hit. Then just take titles off him. I'm not sure what you can do if he's your equal. Just try to plot against him and kill him, but looks like you don't have the intrigue for that.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

how is when the world stopped making sense? that’s the one big overhaul mod that i have never tried.
i gave it a spin for 4 hrs yesterday and--despite bringing it up in the first place--i'm not a big fan. lots of work on religious heresies. some work on late roman government. but not much work on otherwise substantiating the time period (which, in fairness, has little source evidence to go off of). big tribal thunderdome in western europe. but many little problems with events and other such things.

Zane fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 21, 2020

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Eh! Frank posted:

Newbie post

One way to prune down the family tree if your have siblings/cousins forming independent branches is to find some pretext to make war on them, capture their capital and take as much of their family hostage as possible. Now you can either execute them at your leisure or toss them in the oubliette to die for a few years. If you capture the wife I actually recommend treating them well so that they don't die and free up your enemy to re-marry. Now all of a sudden you're several steps closer to the inheritance than you were before because oops all the baby princes died in a dungeon.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

I just had a very disappointing first son who inherited his mom’s Irish county when he was 10. So I lost the ability to make him decent. He didn’t get married until he was almost 30 and he did it matrilineally. His wife was already in my dynasty somehow. He lost his county to a bishop usurper so he was back in my court at 35 with one daughter, who I murdered to clear the way for son #2 that I had made king of Lithuania who did very well for himself as king. After that #1 son had a son, so I was like in for a penny in for a pound. Murdered. Then he plotted against me so I arrested him and sent him to a holy order. While he was there his wife, who was plotting to kill him, had another son. Who I murdered.

Now I have a very powerful heir who has pretty solid kids.

I feel very bad.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I think you're getting the hang of it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I love how you could start reading that post, without realizing what thread you where in, and get really offended by the racism present in

quote:

I just had a very disappointing first son who inherited his mom’s Irish county when he was 10. So I lost the ability to make him decent.

Ck2 really does have the best taken-out-of-context lines.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I like that it’s back to basics. No wacky satanists or fighting an immortal horse, just good ol mass murder and eugenics.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Hi, goons! Trying to get into this with my kids, but am having a lot of trouble with the tutorial. I think because this is my first strategy game on PC I don't know a lot of basic commands that the game seems to think I should know.

Here's the issue we have now:

How do we get those troops on those boats? Thanks so much for any help

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

select the boats and right click the land near where your troops are. then select he troops and push 'v' to load them up. theres a tiny corresponding button in the top of the unit menu.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

if the boat wont land, try one of your own provinces vs an AI one

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
It won't land, and my only province is landlocked?

Edit: just double checked. Everywhere on the continent gives me that red "cant go here" x

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Okay it just randomly worked on the tenth time I tried to move the boats to the land. Red x first bunch of times then green arrow in the exact same place. What did I do?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 25, 2020

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Drunk Nerds posted:

Hi, goons! Trying to get into this with my kids, but am having a lot of trouble with the tutorial. I think because this is my first strategy game on PC I don't know a lot of basic commands that the game seems to think I should know.

Here's the issue we have now:

How do we get those troops on those boats? Thanks so much for any help

First, hold the left mouse button to draw a box around the fleet, release the mouse button to select all of them. Then select "merge fleet" to merge all those boats into a single fleet.

Then repeat box drawing for your army. Now you can also merge the army, but there are more men in those armies than your boats can carry (one boat can carry 10 men). So deselect your smallest army after having drawn a box around them (should be an x or so next to the smallest army, can't remember the exact layout right now). Then merge those armies. Now just right click on those boats, and they will board. After they've boarded, you can send your fleet to any sea zone you want. When you want to disembark, select your fleet, and then click on the embarked army directly between the fleet menu. You now have control of the embarked army, right click on the coastal province you want them to disembark to.

Welcome to CK2, the game is awesome, I hope you will enjoy it.

:siren:Do not hesitate to ask questions, the game can be opaque, and we will be very happy to answer any questions you have! There are no dumb questions!:siren:

And welcome to the thread, Drunk Nerds. ::)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Yes, if you don't own a province you can't dock boats in its ports. (which is probably why you're getting that X).

In that situation, what you need to do is select the troops and right click on the sea zone that has your boats in it - that'll order your troops to board the boats.

edit: comprehensively beaten

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks everyone, my kids are interested in how the world gets leadedrs and wars and stuff, and this game feels like a good way to show the nuts and bolts to them.

Torrannor posted:

When you want to disembark, select your fleet, and then click on the embarked army directly between the fleet menu.

This is where I'm stuck. Googling says there should be an icon of a man when I click on the fleet, but I can't find it:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks everyone, my kids are interested in how the world gets leadedrs and wars and stuff, and this game feels like a good way to show the nuts and bolts to them.

This is where I'm stuck. Googling says there should be an icon of a man when I click on the fleet, but I can't find it:

It looks like you have multiple fleets in this picture--you can see many little shields under the 50 which tells you how many ships are in the stack. Currently you have only one of the fleets selected--it has 15 ships. If your troops are embarked on the ships, they must be on another fleet in that stack. Drag a box around the ships to select all of the ships in that space, and you should see the icon with the army on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks. I figured it out by clicking repeatedly on the fleet which let's me go through each ship.