Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

(10 posts above) I like how they’ve had to preemptively say this KS is just for the expansion, and won’t cover the original.

Won't cover the original base game, but will cover all the expansion content funded in that Kickstarter. And in theory the base game is meant to be available at retail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Does this link work for anyone? It just redirects me to kickstarter. I guess they took it down?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

armorer posted:

Does this link work for anyone? It just redirects me to kickstarter. I guess they took it down?

I can still see it - it might be restricted to Nemesis backers. Here's the blurb from the email:

Awaken Realms posted:

Nemesis: Lockdown will be first standalone expansion to Nemesis, bringing the same cinematic, thematic Sci-Fi horror feel to totally new setting: Base on Mars. It will bring a lot of new, fresh ideas and content while keeping some of the core Nemesis mechanics that makes every play an unforgettable story to be told.

You can see DRAFT OF THIS CAMPAIGN (CLICK) with some first details! You can click "notify me on launch" so that you will not miss it and as always - make sure to leave us feedback and ideas! We would love to hear from you!

Here are some more technical details:

Where? It will have its Kickstarter campaign and later will land in retail!

When? Kickstarter campaign will come in May / June

Stand alone? This means you don’t need core box to play this expansion. It will bring its own new board, together with rooms, item1s, characters and alien race.

Compatibility with previous things? While expansion is not final, so its hard to say with full confidence, we want to have following compatibility with previous expansions:

Alien species – you can use previous ones in Lockdown (Carnomorphs, Intruders, Voidseeders).

Characters – you will be able to use characters from Core Box / Aftermath in Lockdown (but in some form, probably team will have to consist of at least 1-2 Lockdown new characters)

Will I be able to buy Nemesis Core Box at new Kickstarter? No, Nemesis core box is reserved for retail at this moment – it should be available back in retail stores soon!

Will I be able to buy other expansions at new Kickstarter? Yes! You will have access to all previous expansions, including Aftermath expansion!

Language editions? As always, if there will be enough interest / popularity, we will be happy to make them!

You can see more detail in the campaign Draft and we would love to hear feedback and ideas from you!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope the new expansion has more interesting objectives. I think my biggest criticism of Nemesis is that the individual objectives are just bad. Aside from the "Kill player X" ones, which to be fair you have a decent chance of achieving even if you don't do anything, they don't do anything to increase tension, suspicion, or competition. At no point did I ever have any reason to doubt that the person "sending a signal" was out to get me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

armorer posted:

Does this work?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Yes, thanks!

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

armorer posted:

Yeah, the first link cut off the access token in the link.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Probably worth mentioning Chip Theory Games are doing an expansion/reprint Kickstarter for Cloudspire:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chiptheorygames/cloudspire-ankars-plunder-series-reprint?ref=user_menu

There's around six days left on the campaign, and you can just pledge $5 and get in on the pledge manager if your budget doesn't currently allow for the expense that their games tend to entail.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Looking at what CMON was pulling with the Bloodborne KS, I'm really glad I skipped it. I'm really despising companies that are pulling FOMO and it's pretty much all they did.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Azubah posted:

Looking at what CMON was pulling with the Bloodborne KS, I'm really glad I skipped it. I'm really despising companies that are pulling FOMO and it's pretty much all they did.

Because of exclusivity? Like Kickstarter is entirely a market place for boutique limited run products essentially. FOMO is always going to be a part of that.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

More like the expansions, bosses, and add ons that are only available for the KS. I can understand not selling stretch goals later on since it's an incentive to back the game, but something like an expansion never being available after the fact is annoying. My nerd budget has limits.

When there are SO many add ons to the campaign that what initially sounded like a fine $100 pledge turns into $500+ if you have to have everything. I know I don't have to get everything, but something in my lizard brain wants to have everything associated with a project I'm excited about.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Azubah posted:

More like the expansions, bosses, and add ons that are only available for the KS. I can understand not selling stretch goals later on since it's an incentive to back the game, but something like an expansion never being available after the fact is annoying. My nerd budget has limits.

When there are SO many add ons to the campaign that what initially sounded like a fine $100 pledge turns into $500+ if you have to have everything. I know I don't have to get everything, but something in my lizard brain wants to have everything associated with a project I'm excited about.

I get some of that. I would love to have seen this split into a base Kickstarter and some expansions later. Could be an issue with the licensor prevented that though.

I get not selling an expansion after the fact. If you look at retail shelves there's a lot of Rising Sun expansions on shelves but not a ton of base games. This stuff is expensive to produce and you're making less on your sales through traditional retail channels, so I get the appeal of cutting the retail channels out of expansion sales entirely and just selling those direct and making them limited to whatever you print in this first run.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I find "Please buy my full and complete game for $100." then next week going "Actually my game is $200." Then "Well, make that $300." Is skeevy as gently caress and only really there to take advantage of people.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah, and in a normal sane game market, the publisher would wait a while, see how their sales, did, and gauge the demand for an expansion. CMON(and tons of other kickstarters, sure, but they're the top dogs) puts out the expansion simultaneous to the base game, and tells people they have to buy it now before they know if they like the game, or they'll never be able to. They inflate demand by limiting supply. With Rising Sun, the expansion and the base game did both hit retail simultaneously, people were able to buy Rising Sun first, and guess what, they decided the expansion wasn't worth it. Like, yes, they're doing a good job at capitalism, which I think is your point, that doesn't make it not a lovely and exploitative process.

The fact that doing it the other way works for them makes me wonder what percentage of the boardgaming market would be considered whales.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I wanted to get some feelers on something.

In the last year, one thing I've struggled with is that as a producer and a writer, my work on a project is often done way way before the project wraps. I'm a fast writer, a fast playtester, and while I take a very active and hands on role wrt project management, I'm often left just kinda twiddling my thumbs. Especially since I wrapped and delivered Americana and its expansions, I'm looking for new things to do.

My question is this; assuming a project is at that point, what do you all think about the, for lack of a better word, morality of running another Kickstarter campaign for a different book, assuming it has a different team of artists or w/e?

Right now, technically, I have Heists and Disposable Heroes still running, Heroes is in the artists hands and will be for a while, Heists is mostly art, with some layout and graphic design left, but neither are particularly huge time sinks for me right now. Meanwhile I have an idea for a very cute, small game I'd like to raise a few dollars to have illustrated, but I don't want people to feel like I'm ignoring a product they paid for to develop something else, or worse, have people think I need the money to finish other projects (Finances on both Heroes and Heists are separate and healthy, both running under estimates rn). I feel like bigger companies get away with this sort of thing by a certain amount of depersonalization that Sandy Pug Games doesn't quite have.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Personally, I think with the delivery of Americana that you have more than enough credibility to run something small on the side. You've been incredibly transparent on Twitter and I have nothing but faith that you'll come through on what you promise.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Could always drop an update letting people know what's going on, too. Something like "Hey, waiting for whatever for this campaign (btw here's where we are on that), but I had a cute idea, wanted to strike while the iron was hot, and am using different people (so it won't slow this fulfillment down), so check it out if you're interested" would honestly be more than sufficient in my eyes. Sometimes the spark is there, and you gotta grab it when you can.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

El Fideo posted:

With Rising Sun, the expansion and the base game did both hit retail simultaneously, people were able to buy Rising Sun first, and guess what, they decided the expansion wasn't worth it. Like, yes, they're doing a good job at capitalism, which I think is your point, that doesn't make it not a lovely and exploitative process.

TBF this is the case for virtually every boardgame expansion, they have terrible attach rates in general.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah. but if you know what the demand might actually be, you can print fewer units.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Azubah posted:

I was just doing breakdowns on the Marvel one to try and see the extent of it. All in all the game made available through KS 57 heroes and 26 villains, of which 29 heroes and 18 villains are KS exclusives. Slightly more and significantly more than half respectively. And yeah, the release schedule is super predatory. If you go back and look through the campaign updates you can see how they make it all work, they annouce a huge goal to unlock a popular character (only 120k to Doctor Strange!) and then immediately after that announce a whole box of other poo poo that's an add-on (Get the KS exclusive Sinister Six!) and watch as people scramble to throw money into the pit to unlock more characters as fast as they can. It's a hustle, but man is it ever a well-calculated one. All in all it's a base game and six goddamn expansions, several of which are also containing individual KS exclusives to push those too. Can't pass on that Spider-Man box even though it's going to retail, because then you'll never get Spider-Ham! That's Spider-Ham money left on the table!

theironjef fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 18, 2020

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

It’s just sales and marketing, really.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Got an email with a preview for the Torchbearer 2nd Edition Kickstarter which is launching today or tomorrow. Luke is back on his bullshit; preview video is a 7.5 minute doom metal song over random runes and woodcut art, no information is communicated. Comments are great too.

Customer posted:

Will the mechanics be easier?

Luke posted:

What do you mean by easier? Will the difficulty level be lower? No. Did we simplify any systems? Not really. Did we clarify everything and refine the rules so they're more easily grokked? Yes.

I'm tempted to back but I don't want a year of Luke's wacky wizard gimmick in my inbox. Maybe wait for retail.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

LongDarkNight posted:

Got an email with a preview for the Torchbearer 2nd Edition Kickstarter which is launching today or tomorrow. Luke is back on his bullshit; preview video is a 7.5 minute doom metal song over random runes and woodcut art, no information is communicated. Comments are great too.

I'm tempted to back but I don't want a year of Luke's wacky wizard gimmick in my inbox. Maybe wait for retail.

He's run several kickstarters with no wacky wizard. Pretty sure you're safe on that front.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

just backed Torchebearer. Looks like it will be much more likely to hit the table. and that video is simply the best Kickstarter video I've ever seen.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
I'm in at $100 for Torchbearer, and I love the video

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Ugh. I want the Torchbearer books as they look amazing but if I get the books I want all three of them and that's sixty loving dollars plus shipping.

Also realized no one has linked it so here's the actual Kickstarter.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Canvas looks absolutely lovely.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The layered cards making paintings is a neat gimmick.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

That's a really neat idea on top of a kind of simple game.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I know it's absolute gimmick, but being able to hang the actual gamebox on the wall is fun. The little easels pledge level is a waste though, you can buy them on amazon, 10 for $8.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

You can poke a hole in any game box and hang it on the wall.

Gloom was also a neat gimmick on top of a really simple game.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Gau posted:

Ugh. I want the Torchbearer books as they look amazing but if I get the books I want all three of them and that's sixty loving dollars plus shipping.

Also realized no one has linked it so here's the actual Kickstarter.

That is the worst Kickstarter video I have ever seen. Idgi

Nevertheless I do really like the region building guide the give a sample for. The description of it needing 20(!) sessions to learn how to play and have a character live through a session sounds...very bad though? I can see why a rpg survival game could work but it sounds like a hell of a lot if upkeeping and keeping track of encumbrance like rules. Or am I misreading it?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The new Deadlands KS is up. As I can find it does not feature the word 'Confederacy' or 'CSA' or related as I can find. This doesn't actually mean anything, but it's kind of interesting?

Dedman Walkin
Dec 20, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

The new Deadlands KS is up. As I can find it does not feature the word 'Confederacy' or 'CSA' or related as I can find. This doesn't actually mean anything, but it's kind of interesting?

They stated before the kickstarter that the new edition is dropping the "Confederacy survived" bit.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Dedman Walkin posted:

They stated before the kickstarter that the new edition is dropping the "Confederacy survived" bit.

The original announcement was pretty "...unless you just happen to put it back in, wink wink nudge", and the old editions were pretty ugly in the "glorious and noble southern gentlemen fighting the Evil North who are so evil they never win anything ever" sense. So I'll be interested to know how they drop the CSA and what they replace it with.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

Canvas looks absolutely lovely.

It's incredibly gorgeous, but the exclusives aren't appealing enough for me to jump on it now. I'm gonna watch for it to show up on Amazon.

Also super pretty is Kodama Forest https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kodama-forest/kodama-forest/description

And the exclusives on that are actually good enough to get me to back, for a game that seems to be a prettier/faster/polyomino version of Between Two Cities/Castles. The other game in that line that I've played has been real nice too.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I feel like that's a lot of game locked behind exclusives. 13 decrees, which apparently are not even a part of the regular game, and 4 boards, it seems like, with a few more days to unlock more.

gently caress exclusives.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Well I don't watch a lot of Kickstarter videos, so what do I know, but the Torchbearer one was about as informative as the ones I've seen. Maybe a little less info about the game, maybe a little more about the creator.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah, I don't recall them leaving out entire systems on their previous games, but they're actually pretty good about making theirs available afterwards. I'm just getting in on that so I don't have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Well, I've backed the kickstarter for the Wolfenstein board game, the same week that my Reichbusters board game has arrived in my hands. Now I'm going to wind up with two dungeon crawl board games about battling super-Nazis that I'm probably like never going to actually play. Feels kinda silly to back both of these, but I can't stop myself!

At least I've got the Reichbusters one. Opened it up, and it looks pretty nice. Though two of the minis in the box actually broke off their bases! I'll have to superglue them back on. They're some mutant nazi guys with skinny legs. Oh well. Guess the shipping to get here was too rough for them. Hopefully the superglue works.