Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Stickman posted:

Are you using RTSS? That’s my number one cause of “random indie application/game crashes on startup.”

I don't know that is. I'm just using the default nVidia drivers and settings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Speaking of all this Nioh talk, anyone see any deals on it recently? Didn't snag it a month ago when it was 15 bucks on steam and now its basically full price everywhere.
The best you can currently get is 15% off on DLGamer. https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=nioh

bamhand posted:

I don't know that is. I'm just using the default nVidia drivers and settings?
It's a statistics tool that is often installed with MSI Afterburner, a third-party management app for graphics card hardware settings and overclocking. If you haven't heard of either of those, then it isn't where you problems are coming from.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Speaking of all this Nioh talk, anyone see any deals on it recently? Didn't snag it a month ago when it was 15 bucks on steam and now its basically full price everywhere.

Barring any random sales the next Steam sale will maybe be end of May. They didn't actually do the Spring sale last year and Valve being Valve they supplied zero reasoning for it so it may just be gone forever.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/MimimiProd/status/1252583082353360896

Here’s something that should be good now that other games have been delayed. If it’s even close to as good as Shadow Tactics I’ll be happy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I went back to Enter the Gungeon a couple of days ago after bouncing off it hard when I first bought it and I guess something clicked because I've gone from rarely getting past the first chamber and dying instantly to the second chamber's boss to regularly reaching chambers 3 and 4 (and 5 once thanks to lucky drops that melted everything). I'm playing on controller because I feel like I can control my mobility easier that way and the auto aim is generous enough that I don't miss using a mouse.

Anything I should know as I dig deeper in? Is Exit the Gungeon any good?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Yo, is my brain turning into mush or are the Just Cause 4 (M+KB) controls really bad? Often I feel like the game isn't properly reacting to key presses, the loadout system is annoying to use, and the default key layout feels like what a Japanese console game ported to PC in 2008 would be like.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

blame accepted! Seriously, AssCreed Origins and Odyssey are really stellar and I expect I will continue to post about them as I play them. They're really satisfying and pretty and blah blah have Bayek petting a cat

You can pet a dog, cat, and feed chickens and pigs in Asscreed 3

I don't know if you can pet a horse

I started chapter 3 of Asscreed Liberation and I can't say I enjoy this persona bullshit.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1252562484688535559

quote:

Two developers of video games planned for this fall, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the news media, said that so far, they had chosen to cut scope rather than delay their games. Because of slowdowns in productivity at their studios — and at outsourcing houses, particularly in China and India — they plan to cut features, levels and quests in hopes of making their deadlines.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That sucks, man. I hope their games turn out good anyways.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
"People are buying more video games than ever! Let's make ours worse to save time and money."

Yup, that sure is an industry alright.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

"People are buying more video games than ever! Let's make ours worse to save time and money."

I mean, there are genuine issues for large-scale games because production is split between so many different companies facing staffing challenges. This seems like an actual problem and not just a cynical ploy to cut scope thinking that people will buy the game anyway (they might not, because they're unemployed).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

That is a take.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fallom posted:

I mean, there are genuine issues for large-scale games because production is split between so many different companies facing staffing challenges. This seems like an actual problem and not just a cynical ploy to cut scope thinking that people will buy the game anyway (they might not, because they're unemployed).
Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but when I read about two developers speaking out about being told to save time by cutting content even though they're not officially authorized to talk about it, I'm thinking that there might be something of a private protest against the publishers deciding to cash in on the Corona-caused entertainment boom involved.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Scoping down a game doesn't automatically make it worse.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Fallom posted:

Maybe don't have your company outsource anything?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Xaris posted:

Yeah and I absolutely hate this trend. Clever AI things, terrain destruction and interactivity has absolutely stagnated for over a decade now and in fact regressed in a lot of games.

Agreed.

Unfortunately someone somewhere decided that graphics sell games so everyone (the AAA studios at least) has been chasing that dragon forevermore. Core game-play hasn't really evolved much at all in the past decade or so.
It's why we're seeing a lot more innovation coming from indie games these days as they don't have the budget to compete on graphics and so focus their efforts elsewhere and actually end up making interesting titles.

It's a real shame because we haven't seen some good ideas improved upon. Red Faction Guerrilla was over 10 years ago and nobody has really bettered that concept since.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Outsourcing is not inherently a bad thing

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Andrast posted:

Outsourcing is not inherently a bad thing
If nothing else, this is making me wonder about how much of the content of games I buy is actually created by the studios that have their names attached to them.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

ErrEff posted:

Scoping down a game doesn't automatically make it worse.

if it's done properly, I agree with you entirely

a rushed hatchet job like this situation implies? not a chance

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh man, I never expected to feel this emotion - I just loaded up Cook Serve Delicious 3 and spotted that Too Shy Guy has an achievement I don't have and !!!! I must obtain it! I must not allow a friend to defeat me!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I keep going back and forth on Yoku's Island Express. Somehow, I feel like I want it, yet I never seem to want to spend money on it or it's not high enough on the priority list when I am spending money. Should I pull the trigger or wipe it from my wishlist aaaaaaa

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Artelier posted:

I keep going back and forth on Yoku's Island Express. Somehow, I feel like I want it, yet I never seem to want to spend money on it or it's not high enough on the priority list when I am spending money. Should I pull the trigger or wipe it from my wishlist aaaaaaa

Did you ever play Sonic Spinball? It plays a lot like that. If you like that you’ll probably dig it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Artelier posted:

Yoku's Island Express is a pinball metroidvania about a cheerful dung beetle trying to become the best postmaster in the islands while battling the God Slayer. Your two main tools are a party horn, and a vacuum that vacuums up giant slugs which explode because they're in heat.

Yoku's Island Express is Good

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Artelier posted:

I'm sort of the same with Yoku, was looking at it yesterday since it's going for so cheap but I think I'll pass. It looks lovely but it's a genre where exploration and movement is really important and I can't help but feel like the pinball thing would slow that down immensely. I can see it getting really tedious and frustrating (for me) when you just want to backtrack some place quickly (and some of the negative reviews have highlighted this as an issue, although to be fair they are dwarfed by the number of positive ones). I'm not huge on pinball to begin with so that aspect of it isn't even a major attraction.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

It's an easy, short game, and there's a fast travel system you can unlock. I really enjoyed the few hours I spent with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's on Game Pass, I thought it was okay but ultimate I'd rather just play pinball than a pinball-like. It's really cute though.

Incidental to Game Pass, Gears Tactics is up for pre-install.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Glare Seethe posted:

I'm sort of the same with Yoku, was looking at it yesterday since it's going for so cheap but I think I'll pass. It looks lovely but it's a genre where exploration and movement is really important and I can't help but feel like the pinball thing would slow that down immensely. I can see it getting really tedious and frustrating (for me) when you just want to backtrack some place quickly (and some of the negative reviews have highlighted this as an issue, although to be fair they are dwarfed by the number of positive ones). I'm not huge on pinball to begin with so that aspect of it isn't even a major attraction.
That is a problem, yeah; it's why I never came back to the game after switching to play something else. If the pinball isn't gripping you, there's not much to it - sadly, because the visuals, music and whole presentation are top-notch.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

buglord posted:

hi thread. I need something like Simcity 4 but also like Cities Skylines. The former one is the prettiest to look at. The latter has the traffic complexity I like. Factorio and those infrastructure building games seem a bit too far on the complex end, but something about Cities Skylines just feels so shallow. Doesnt have to be a city builder per se, but it needs to scratch that itch. I bounced off the Anno series pretty hard too. :sigh:

I have the exact same frustration with Skylines. Outside of untangling the traffic (which often feels like the result of the game's own shortcomings rather than clearly defined mechanics IMO) there's just not a lot there. Everything is either opaque and fiddly or incredibly hands off and borderline-automated. Or sometimes both, somehow.

Maybe try scanning through TooShyGuy's builder reviews. I can't vouch for any of the games personally due to ye olde backlog, but I know a few on the list caught my eye.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Baller Time posted:

Yo, is my brain turning into mush or are the Just Cause 4 (M+KB) controls really bad? Often I feel like the game isn't properly reacting to key presses, the loadout system is annoying to use, and the default key layout feels like what a Japanese console game ported to PC in 2008 would be like.

Yeah, JC4 is a pile of poo poo that no one should ever waste their time trying even for free.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's wild how they seemed to have gotten things right in JC2 and have stumbled ever since.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lord Lambeth posted:

It's wild how they seemed to have gotten things right in JC2 and have stumbled ever since.
I had fun with 3 but the rocket wingsuit DLC is mandatory.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Xaris posted:

Yeah and I absolutely hate this trend. Clever AI things, terrain destruction and interactivity has absolutely stagnated for over a decade now and in fact regressed in a lot of games. Think like Bad Company 2 there was nothing more :smug: feeling than steamrolling through a village and just leaving behind a burning rubble husk as you move onto the next point, DICE significantly treaded that back to the point of BF3/4 were virtually completely static outside of some scripted destruction, and it sucked. Hell even Red Faction had pretty neat proof-of-concept terrain destruction nearly 20 years ago that was better than most anyone has attempted since. I guess Control is kind of similar to RF and does some neat things but it's like largely 99% static and iirc non-permanent and regenerates next time you walk through. Why can't I just set a forest on fire in FC4 and let it burn and stay burnt? Why can't I blow up some roadside shacks? RAM, hard drive space, and all that poo poo is super cheap and bountiful these days, a slightly larger save file doesn't mean much.

Graphic fidelity is pretty much at it's relative limitation for hardware power with not much reward for a lot more budget to produce incremental improvements. There's some fuckery like RTX which kind of helps but it's still just a few around-the-perimeter tweaks. Like it seems a no brainer to instead focus efforts on engine deformations, interactions and little details, some more clever AI-y stuff (without resorting to wallhacks-type) and stuff like that as a way to improve things.

If I had to guess its probably expensive and time consuming in a way that leads to little perceived benefit. Its got to be exponentially more difficult as you increase the game's complexity both in graphics and functionality.

Red Faction Armageddon did that, and in early development their designed buildings would collapse when put into the game engine. They had to hire some real life architectural engineers to show them how to design stable buildings based around the game physics.

Lord Lambeth posted:

To this day I have not heard of a single game with the sheer amount of fun potential as JC2. The demo alone would been worth an easy $10-20 to play around in. That wire grappling hook was the most versatile game tool of the decade.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

pentyne posted:

Red Faction Armageddon did that, and in early development their designed buildings would collapse when put into the game engine. They had to hire some real life architectural engineers to show them how to design stable buildings based around the game physics.
You can still make that happen in Red Faction Guerilla by modding the building stability values. They had the same problem there and ultimately just increased certain values that govern how tightly the lego-like pieces of the in-game buildings attach to each other, which can sometimes lead to silly things like a building having a completely collapsed ground floor and the rest being held up in one piece by a single remaining support pillar. By lowering those values, you can get increasingly more realistic demolition, but if you go too far then stuff will just start falling apart by itself because the buildings aren't all that structurally sound.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I did really enjoy the Mad Max game that they did but maybe a good portion of that is just me enjoying the setting and property they were adapting.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Lord Lambeth posted:

I did really enjoy the Mad Max game that they did but maybe a good portion of that is just me enjoying the setting and property they were adapting.

I had the same reaction. Mad Max kept my attention all the way through, even with all the side activities. All its flaws were easily seen and experienced, but still... it held up. Mechanically and story-wise, it was pretty good. Also, it was one of those games that inspired you to take a thousand screenshots.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pentyne posted:

If I had to guess its probably expensive and time consuming in a way that leads to little perceived benefit. Its got to be exponentially more difficult as you increase the game's complexity both in graphics and functionality.

The way games implement indirect lighting creates a sliding scale between dynamic-but-ugly and static-but-pretty, and the trend has been towards the latter. The graphical quality we're accustomed to nowadays is predicated on the developers using a huge rendering cluster to pre-calculate most of the lighting, which doesn't work if you allow the players to knock down walls and buildings however they want, hence why the Battlefield games suddenly went from fine-grained destruction to scripted events that let them fade between two sets of baked lighting for before and after the trigger.

The push towards realtime raytracing has potential to finally allow higher quality in fully dynamic scenes, but that's still a few years away.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Environmental destruction and terrain deformation are heavy on physics calculations, aka CPU power. The last two generations of consoles have been really underpowered in the CPU department and as most games are developed for consoles first now, corners are going to get cut somewhere.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PhysX is a specifically GPU-based implementation of physics simulation that already exists. That most current non-Nvidia graphics cards don't have specialized hardware for that kind of thing isn't really a problem if console manufacturers ever decide to follow suit, any more than it is with raytracing.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh man, I never expected to feel this emotion - I just loaded up Cook Serve Delicious 3 and spotted that Too Shy Guy has an achievement I don't have and !!!! I must obtain it! I must not allow a friend to defeat me!

Now imagine feeling that for nearly two months straight.

how the gently caress did you get Oh No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Too Shy Guy posted:

Now imagine feeling that for nearly two months straight.

how the gently caress did you get Oh No

eheheheheheheh

"Oh No: Get a Perfect Day (Standard Mode) in Wall, South Dakota on Route D, Day 5 using a 15-point menu." i do not remember this lemme look -

oh! to do this one, you need to master sushi and tamales (king potatoes and dlx poutine can go gently caress themselves) and then you have plenty of choices for the last one -

pizza: I have lingering muscle memory and know this one
lattes: easy, they're all fairly intuitive for some reason?
roulade: fun! fun fun fun
WD: varieties: I practiced these a bunch and they're also fun to put together

crm. brulee is another fucker I will never master tho, I cannot handle timing things

and I'm sorry, this probably comes across as "i'm better than you", it's more that I practice and try to toss in the rare hard dish into regular levels so I can try to get better at them. You need reflexes + knowledge, and voila.

ps practice sushi and upgrade your truck so it has more servings and you will love it, it and tamales are practically a free 5 points if you use 'em right