Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also you have no choice but to venture into json to set

"copyOnSelect": true,

at the get-go. also likely set defaultProfile: to just about any guid that is not powershell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
the last few versions of powershell are pretty good tbh

still slow as balls but these days that's not much a problem, it's not like i'm running it on a raspi

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

the last few versions of powershell are pretty good tbh

still slow as balls but these days that's not much a problem, it's not like i'm running it on a raspi
It's not great but I think everything has steadily gotten faster. Some things like interacting with COM objects in powershell 2.0 were like molasses.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also in complete comedy you break the new terminal terribly if you set history to more than about 9000 lines. which was the hard limit of the old terminal. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

using wsl2, new terminal and visual studio code has been a real pleasure though. a pleasure intermingled with a clear feeling that there is all kinds of very un-microsoftian duct-tape keeping my experience together, but so far a pleasure nonetheless.

idk, absurd duct tape keeping horrible frankenstein systems running seemingly smoothly is kinda the thing microsoft is good at. they regularly drop the ball creating normal things for normal people, but i can still somehow run simcity 2000 inside microsoft word or whatever. a few years back i was doing some c++/cli and i learned that:
  • the compiler will magically translate .net managed lambdas into c function pointers in a way that just works, seamlessly, out of the box
  • the compiler will crash if you use a c++11 keyword
microsoft is a land of contrasts.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

i really like windows terminal, but it's missing some basic features and is still buggy. love being able to pop open all sorts of different shells inside of it though

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

why can't I create symlinks on a mounted drive in wsl

wtf do I need to put in fstab???

:negative:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Krankenstyle posted:

why can't I create symlinks on a mounted drive in wsl

wtf do I need to put in fstab???

:negative:

how do you have it setup now?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

it's a network drive mounted via drvfs in fstab with defaults (also tried various uid/guid/owner/etc settings).

reading & writing is fine, it's just symlinking

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i like how you cant use usb poo poo in wsl so things like yubikeys cant work with it

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ms should probably just start the long, inevitable shift to just using linux entirely and ditch the legacy windows stuff.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
dyin to see how bad the next patching cycle goes since almost the entire company is wfh and we've had Tonnes of vpn capacity issues over the last month

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Weren't they only gonna do security patches?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

spankmeister posted:

Weren't they only gonna do security patches?

Yep, they're not rolling out 2004 or automatically installing optional updates for the moment. I think Microsoft knows that risking flushing people's hard drives right now isn't the smartest thing to do.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i like how you cant use usb poo poo in wsl so things like yubikeys cant work with it

yubikeys should work fine as hid inputs in wsl o_0

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yubikeys should work fine as hid inputs in wsl o_0

im talking as using them as smarcards and doing the initial decryption on the device through the gpg ssh agent.

they do not work

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im talking as using them as smarcards and doing the initial decryption on the device through the gpg ssh agent.

they do not work

install linux; problem solved

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

install linux; problem solved

i do for almost every machine except the stupid windows machine i use for gaming but sometimes i need to ssh into poo poo to update my music collection

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i do for almost every machine except the stupid windows machine i use for gaming but sometimes i need to ssh into poo poo to update my music collection

windows is linux now

pram
Jun 10, 2001

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

jesus christ

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

pram posted:

jesus christ

i run an airsonic/subsonic server and all my music is organized/named/tagged with beets

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cool hell you have created for yourself

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
ty

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*smirking sweaty nerd wearing all black and hacker shades* you wouldn't get it gramps. I run linux

*portly middle-manager type sitting at his lovely dell windows 10 work computer* me too :smugbert:

matti
Mar 31, 2019

i listen to cassettes op

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

steam/proton are here for you

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i run an airsonic/subsonic server and all my music is organized/named/tagged with beets

huh i might have to start using this, since the good kde music player (amarok) does not have a qt5 version and is not in a lot of package repositories anymore

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lysidas posted:

huh i might have to start using this, since the good kde music player (amarok) does not have a qt5 version and is not in a lot of package repositories anymore

it's linux, are you playing 4'33" on loop or something?

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Lysidas posted:

airsonic is cool because the rest api is stable and someone wrote an ios app thats has carplay support

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

airsonic is cool because the rest api is stable and someone wrote an ios app thats has carplay support

that is super cool, i am almost interested in that but it is against policy to play music over cellular data, my phone has far more than enough storage for the parts of my music library i am interested in at any given moment

for playing music at home though, this looks neato

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Lysidas posted:

that is super cool, i am almost interested in that but it is against policy to play music over cellular data, my phone has far more than enough storage for the parts of my music library i am interested in at any given moment

for playing music at home though, this looks neato

you are in luck, the app lets you download as much as you want and store it on your device

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
nice, im happy using itunes for that through a windows vm, with music loaded from a read-only cifs share into itunes libary, since "i want to copy a new album to my phone" usually also coincides with "oh i havent backed up my phone in a while either"

but good to know either way

matti
Mar 31, 2019

please go post in the linux topic since i cant tell if youre being sincere of your bad decisions or not

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Imagine using Iphones/Itunes in TYOOL 2020.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
what bad decisions, i use the good phone os and the good desktop os, with occasional pain for vendors that do not support the good desktop os

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

pram posted:

jesus christ

yeah what a moron. using his skills to build and maintain his own music collection. Why would you do that when you could pay a corporation a monthly fee? And he uses the TERMINAL? what a loving nerd.

get out of yospos pram.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

*smirking sweaty nerd wearing all black and hacker shades* you wouldn't get it gramps. I run linux

*portly middle-manager type sitting at his lovely dell windows 10 work computer* me too :smugbert:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Amethyst posted:

yeah what a moron. using his skills to build and maintain his own music collection. Why would you do that when you could pay a corporation a monthly fee? And he uses the TERMINAL? what a loving nerd.

get out of yospos pram.

lol amethyst :razz:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i need to ssh into poo poo to update my music collection

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

airsonic is cool because the rest api is stable

Lol at all of this

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I actually wish I cared enough enough about music to do something like that, I abandoned my files years ago, it seemed like I spent more time janitoring metadata than listening to music
i just use Spotify and youtube now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
well its pretty much automatic, i don't touch anything manually except in super rare cases. beets automatically gets all the metadata from musicbrainz and discogs, then stores it.

spotify sucks because they remove stuff all the time, and while i love itunes for letting me upload my own poo poo, not being able to use it at work on my linux workstation to listen to music is a bummer. so airsonic handles all of it for me.

also i almost exclusively buy all my music from bandcamp these days, loving streaming sites