Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A fragmenting AA shell should rip it open in fairly short order. Put the AA gun on a truck bed and you could probably stay in hot pursuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ola posted:

A fragmenting AA shell should rip it open in fairly short order. Put the AA gun on a truck bed and you could probably stay in hot pursuit.

There was a Zeppelin that actually survived having a AA shell explode in one of its lifting cells. (And by 'survive' I mean 'crash land' shortly after.) Other Zeppelins sometimes had AA shells pass through their fuselages, and would be able to make it back to a friendly base.

That said, shooting down a Zeppelin is really hard until you get your incendiary ammo sorted, then it's really quite easy if you can intercept with an aircraft. With an additional 20 years of technology, it doesn't need too much figuring.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
VT baby

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

And guys, got some odd flocking behavior here:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I mean, today, wouldn't all you really need to do is strap a blowtorch to a Mavic Pro Max and have it bump up against a lifting cell?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

bull3964 posted:

I mean, today, wouldn't all you really need to do is strap a blowtorch to a Mavic Pro Max and have it bump up against a lifting cell?

I'm thinking those flame thrower equipped quad copters from the China special of Grand Tour.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The ultimate anti-Zeppelin has to be some device that cuts through the envelope, but then remains inside it, while dispersing oxygen and igniting. I bet some YouTube crew could cook up something amazing with an oxygen flask and a lever on the valve, but with some military engineering you could probably get an oxidizer in powdered form. Maybe you have to start thinking about the ensuing boom and collateral damage.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

And guys, got some odd flocking behavior here:

Ugh, I'm down in town, I've wanted to see an IL-76 since reading Outlaws, Inc

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

St_Ides posted:

Ugh, I'm down in town, I've wanted to see an IL-76 since reading Outlaws, Inc

There’s frequently one parked on the cargo ramp at IAH

They’re big.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

forward firing aircraft rocket

As per usual I'm not sure how dumb this question is why is it necessary to specify the direction it's firing in?

e: is there a chemical compound that binds gases really fast so instead of pushing gas out the back you could make a rocket that sucks gas in through the front? I guess it'd get heavier and heavier as it went so that's not ideal.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 21, 2020

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

e.pilot posted:

There’s frequently one parked on the cargo ramp at IAH

They’re big.

That's an AN-124, I managed to get lucky enough to see one of them landing a little over a month ago. Wish I could have gotten closer.

IL-76 isn't as big, but I love the glass nose.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ola posted:

The ultimate anti-Zeppelin has to be some device that cuts through the envelope, but then remains inside it, while dispersing oxygen and igniting. I bet some YouTube crew could cook up something amazing with an oxygen flask and a lever on the valve, but with some military engineering you could probably get an oxidizer in powdered form. Maybe you have to start thinking about the ensuing boom and collateral damage.

I'm going to say a 5" WP shell and a fuze delay set to a rough approximation a bit short of the range of the Zeppelin would probably put the thing up like a torch on the first shot.

An interesting question would be with the number of patrols in the Atlantic in '44 how far could a Zeppelin expect to get before the probability of encountering a 5" DP gun equipped vessel approaching unity would be? Like a day?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

aphid_licker posted:

As per usual I'm not sure how dumb this question is why is it necessary to specify the direction it's firing in?

If there is one institution which loves acronyms it is a military institution.

Now in this case I believe it's just a mistake, because FFAR stands for folding-fin aerial rocket and not forward-firing?

e: now I'm getting fond memories of sniping tanks with unerringly precise Hydra 70s in Gunship 2000

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Psion posted:

Now in this case I believe it's just a mistake, because FFAR stands for folding-fin aerial rocket and not forward-firing?

e: now I'm getting fond memories of sniping tanks with unerringly precise Hydra 70s in Gunship 2000

"Ok, prepare to fire BFARs!"
"Ready! Wait a sec...what does BFAR stand for aga..."
"FIRE!"

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 21, 2020

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Murgos posted:

An interesting question would be with the number of patrols in the Atlantic in '44 how far could a Zeppelin expect to get before the probability of encountering a 5" DP gun equipped vessel approaching unity would be? Like a day?

Ocean's pretty big and mostly empty. They could probably make it within sight of New York more often than not.

Where, presumably, VT shells from the coastal defenses would turn them inside out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

aphid_licker posted:

i suppose you have downward-firing rockets and upward firing rockets a la schrage musik but it does seem a little silly

FRONT TOWARD ENEMY

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Psion posted:

The US military actually had two different rockets called FFAR, one being an acronym for Forward-Firing Aircraft Rocket and the other a Folding-Fin Aerial Rocket. :pseudo:

(if you want to be really technical they had three, because the Forward-Firing FFAR came in two different sizes)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Really? I had no idea. This acronym reuse is out of control!!!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can you tell what kind of jet this is from a crappy tablet picture? Flying into SeaTac about 6:45 last night.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Charles posted:

Can you tell what kind of jet this is from a crappy tablet picture? Flying into SeaTac about 6:45 last night.

From that nose shape i'd say 747. You're in Seattle, shouldn't you be able to recognise Boeing planes instinctively? :)

https://www.flightradar24.com lets you view the last 7 days of radar tracks for free. If it doesn't show up on there it basically either was a privately-owned aircraft or a military flight.

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 21, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's got four engines and the wings are pointier than an A380 and you aren't in Russia so it's pretty much guaranteed to be a 747.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Sagebrush posted:

it's got four engines and the wings are pointier than an A380 and you aren't in Russia so it's pretty much guaranteed to be a 747.

And the A340s will never fly again.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I guess I couldn't see the kinda squarish hump between the wings that I'm used to. Delta used to paint it and made it kind of obvious. Looks like it was a China Airlines cargo 747. I should have tried Flightradar on desktop first, I tried it on my phone and thought history was paywalled. Most flights right now join the flightpath in further south now so there's hardly anything to see.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

meltie posted:

Don’t some governments operate them?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Charles posted:

747-400 cargo

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ci5261

e: this is what I get for not refreshing, you already looked that up!

Sagebrush posted:

Boeing used to charter some An-124 flights into SEA so they're in one of the few cities where "you aren't in Russia" doesn't disqualify planes like you think it would

I forget why, now, maybe delivering fuselage pieces when there was something that blocked train routes?

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 21, 2020

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Psion posted:

I forget why, now, maybe delivering fuselage pieces when there was something that blocked train routes?

Powerplant delivery from/to Ohio I believe. GE-9X's be huge.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

aphid_licker posted:

Well, for one thing we're talking about an era here (WWII) where a lot of aircraft had turrets and other gun mounts that could shoot in a lot of directions other than forward.

You still see the term a lot in helicopters to differentiate between "weapons aimed via pointing the aircraft and fired by the pilot" and "dude firing a crew served weapon out the side".

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Charles posted:

I guess I couldn't see the kinda squarish hump between the wings that I'm used to. Delta used to paint it and made it kind of obvious. Looks like it was a China Airlines cargo 747. I should have tried Flightradar on desktop first, I tried it on my phone and thought history was paywalled. Most flights right now join the flightpath in further south now so there's hardly anything to see.

It's pretty distinctly visible in your photo—you can really clearly make out the flat, even shadow under the wing box versus the two-tone half-and-half split between shadow/light on the rounded fuselage fore and aft of it.

AI:

https://youtu.be/ZVguDg14uuo?t=190
The 'Fly-Wurm' was a 'cyclonic lift craft:' the engine drives a belt which spins the large drum, which has screw-threads on the inside and can theoretically rotate through 90 degrees to vertical. Midway through the first tethered engine run-up the yoke holding the engine shattered and the massive flywheel cratered right through the (unoccupied) pilot's seat. San Diegans may recognize the test field there; the machine was the creation of a local small-time conman who had experience designing frostee machines for movie theaters and was chased out of town when he attempted to finance repairs through some less-than-aboveboard scheme

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 22, 2020

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

meltie posted:

The A340 was a pretty one--especially the 600. What a ridiculously long airplane.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Minto Took posted:

The A340 was a pretty one--especially the 600. What a ridiculously long airplane.

Looking forward to the A322-neo long jet is long

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It looks like the A350-1000 and 777-9x both carry on the tradition of the Big Long

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

It looks like the A350-1000 and 777-9x both carry on the tradition of the Big Long

I had only seen the A350-1000 from some of the front on angles and had to look it up... yeah thats some 757-300 or A340 levels of long jet right there

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

meltie posted:

Wait what did I miss

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Lufthansa grounded all of theirs, at least for now...

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Charles posted:

Lufthansa grounded all of theirs, at least for now...

I thought that was true of the 600s but they still had some 300s going

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ola posted:

You absolute fool. Everyone knows the only way to take down a zeppelin is with an even larger zeppelin.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

Wait what did I miss

Over the last 10 years or so, airlines have been moving away from the A340, since the 777, 787, and A350 can carry similar numbers of passengers over almost the same distance as the A340, with significantly lower operating costs. Outside of a few niche markets that require extremely long range, the A340 struggles to compete with twin engine aircraft (although oil prices tanking recently probably helps a bit), so airlines are using the current global depression as an excuse to offload their A340 fleets.

During the Great Recession, Airbus was desperate to sell A340's, so they guaranteed buyers a certain resale value on the airplanes (with Airbus making up the difference if the customer got less than a specified amount when the airplane sold), so they were possibly on the hook for $1-2 billion when oil got expensive a few years ago, but I'm not sure what ended up happening with that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How does the MD‐11 compare?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

azflyboy posted:

During the Great Recession, Airbus was desperate to sell A340's, so they guaranteed buyers a certain resale value on the airplanes (with Airbus making up the difference if the customer got less than a specified amount when the airplane sold), so they were possibly on the hook for $1-2 billion when oil got expensive a few years ago, but I'm not sure what ended up happening with that.

Beluga XXXL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Platystemon posted:

How does the MD‐11 compare?

45 feet shorter than an A340-600, if that's what you want compared?

Wiki claims the proposed MD-XX Stretch was 32 feet longer than an MD-11 so it'd still be shorter.