Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Not sure what's supposed to happen with all the high risk folk shielding if everyone else returns to work. Is there a plan for them other than "stay inside until there's a vaccine, sorry"?

Some the people I know who are high risk have jobs where they interact with the public so there's surely no way they can go back if it's circulating through everyone.

There isn't, and there can't be really. The only hope we have is that one of the ongoing drug trials finds that a drug is effective enough at treating it in vulnerable patients that the death toll from them getting infected drops to a low enough level we can tolerate, and we take measures to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. Otherwise, there is no way to prevent them from catching a disease this fast spreading beyond developing herd immunity in the healthy population, or a vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

Jedit posted:

Because if you add up the stimulus cheques issued, the total comes to about 20% of the money requested for the bill. The rest was going straight to rich Republicans.

happyhippy posted:

The big one is there is within it a 500 billion slush fund for the Republicans that specifically doesn't have a paper trial for the first six months.

Ah, so there is a good reason to block it. Not a bad pr move as presumably a fair few low information voters who only watch fox news or whatever won't get that part.

I assume you mean 500 million though as according to the video the whole fund is only $350b.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

With the death of a sikh A&E consultant, Manjeet Singh Riyat, yesterday, I'd like to know why so many BAME health workers have died compared to non-BAME. I hope 'they' are going to look into this at some point.

Certain BAME groups are more susceptible to the kind of existing conditions that makes people vulnerable to the virus such as diabetes and high blood pressure, and tend to develop them at an earlier age. Also, the NHS has a higher proportion of BAME staff than the general population, especially in clinical roles.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If we start seeing a solid day-on-day downturn this week that'll be 2-3 weeks quicker than any other country, and I'm definitely not buying that.

The rather grim thought that keeps popping into my mind is that the early stages of a collapse of the NHS would definitely include increasing delays in paperwork being filled out and sent on, which would definitely then show an apparent drop in deaths.
It's only a downturn because the last three days cases haven't been updated fully yet. Once passed I'd expect they'll be near the 550/600 mark. Potential for a small down-turn over last week, but we've got weeks and weeks to go to get it down to where it was a month ago, if it's ever possible to do so.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Soylent Yellow posted:

Certain BAME groups are more susceptible to the kind of existing conditions that makes people vulnerable to the virus such as diabetes and high blood pressure, and tend to develop them at an earlier age. Also, the NHS has a higher proportion of BAME staff than the general population, especially in clinical roles.

Interesting.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Not sure what's supposed to happen with all the high risk folk shielding if everyone else returns to work. Is there a plan for them other than "stay inside until there's a vaccine, sorry"?

Some the people I know who are high risk have jobs where they interact with the public so there's surely no way they can go back if it's circulating through everyone.

woah woah woah are you asking about an exit plan? Is that you Kier?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interesting.

Another pet theory being posited repeatedly by this guy is that BAME populations may be more prone to vitamin D deficiency - which has apparently been demonstrated in various studies to make people more susceptible to complications from respiratory illness - as darker skin makes vitamin D less efficiently in sunlight. :shrug:

E: but you'd think medical professionals of all people would know to take vitamin D supplements, so...

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interesting.

Also, it's possible that it's down to bad luck. There luckily haven't been enough NHS staff deaths yet for any meaningful statistical pattern to emerge.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Maugrim posted:

E: but you'd think medical professionals of all people would know to take vitamin D supplements, so...

lol medical professionals are the fuckin' worst when it comes to looking after themselves.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/Squash_campaign/status/1252634509318766592?s=20

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Bobstar posted:

I saw this on the live blog earlier, but it's the first and only time I've seen the "ministers promise [big number] coming [soon]" numbers put into any kind of context:

So your hunch is right, 400,000 is less than 3 days' worth.

thanks, I thought it didn't sound like much once you start multiplying by X thousands of clinicians and Y changes per day. it does make you wonder why that figure isn't in their articles about it, although I have just seen two BBC articles with it in there

it's a hugely important piece of context though, it's a huge difference between "the government is struggling to procure enough ppe to last the entire crisis" and "the government is struggling to procure enough ppe to last the next three days".

without that context, it's all just a worthless big number cf this article apparently specifically addressing the question of whether there's enough PPE, but which is mostly just a list of numbers apart from that single fact about the rate of gown consumption.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52254745

Literally the only information in there that comes close to answering that question are a couple of surveys of clinicians (which say no).

one thing I've been wondering about is the potential for litigation against the NHS. On the one hand, I'm sure it's the last thing on most healthcare workers mind to sue the NHS (particularly right now), but also they are an employer asking employees to do dangerous work without adequate PPE, even if that work is saving lives

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Maugrim posted:

Another pet theory being posited repeatedly by this guy is that BAME populations may be more prone to vitamin D deficiency - which has apparently been demonstrated in various studies to make people more susceptible to complications from respiratory illness - as darker skin makes vitamin D less efficiently in sunlight. :shrug:

Weirdly enough at my last GP appointment at the tail end of last year we were talking about exactly this, apparently the NHS had a push to get BAME people to take vitamin D supplements because of a rise in deficiency diseases.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

With the death of a sikh A&E consultant, Manjeet Singh Riyat, yesterday, I'd like to know why so many BAME health workers have died compared to non-BAME. I hope 'they' are going to look into this at some point.

You're hilarious.

It's the Tories silly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Private Speech posted:

You're hilarious.

Which bit? The 'looking into it' bit?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Which bit? The 'looking into it' bit?

It was just a stupid joke, but yeah.

Especially after the Labour inquiry went down like a lead balloon. If they ever do I'd expect it to be as a cudgel to privatise the 'failing' NHS.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

zhar posted:

I'm not up to speed on US politics at all, can someone explain why this bill was blocked? Is it just to prevent good things happening to US citizens by Trumps government in the runup to the election or are there real issues with it? Did they give a reason?

https://twitter.com/AdyBarkan/status/1252406993546952707?s=20

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

WhatEvil posted:

Oh yeah haha, so I discovered that recipe and then like a week later Andy made it on BA (which I watch religiously). As you say his version is more like a pasta soup and it's also slightly fussier/more expensive with a tin of tomatoes. It comes out great using just tomato paste.

Will def check out that cauli soup, I'm a big fan of cauliflower and just bought a stick blender recently.

I'll try the paste one sometime then! I never really use it except to add a bit more flavour to something (or in sandwichy things so long as you don't overdo it) so it'll be interesting to see how it changes it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

Yeah, Manx is part of the same family so their lhune will be related.
As to a proposed root - according to MacBain here
lionn, leann "ale" comes from/is related to
linne "a pool", which in turn comes from/is related to
lighe "a flood, overflow" from the root lî, leja "flow".
Disclaimer: As a prehistorian by training and inclination I'm not totally convinced that the theoretical reconstruction of unrecorded, in any way, languages is going to get all the little nuances of how living languages warp and change* so any discussion of PIE must be massively speculative. There is also the suggestion that the insular-Celtic languages would include relics of the original pre-PIE languages of the Mesolithic inhabitants of Britain that are not found in their continental relatives.
This basically.

*Eg. In high school in the 70s we could tell which village kids came from because of little differences in vocabulary (especially slang of course), despite only being 2-3 miles apart on average and all sharing the same radio/television.
Thanks. Yeah, I didn't assume PIE to be one universal and catholic* language, more evidence that a bunch of people talked to one another at some point. What's interesting is who else they also talked to in order to get the distinctions between, say, leann and lhune, although it seems obvious who Ireland was talking to to get beoir, whether they wanted to or not.

*Unless you believe in the conspiracy that it was wholly created by Benedictine monks in order to suppress the glorious unity of the Basque tongue, in much the same way as they're trying to reduce the proud Scots language to unintelligible shouting with their traffik in tonic wines.

Here's another map where the British public (and the Spanish this time) are wrong about everything.

Soylent Yellow posted:

It seems to be less effecting certain Muslim areas than the general pop though, not sure why that is (although I'm sure the usual lot will have their ideas).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What went wrong in Spain, anyway? They seem like one of the biggest clusterfucks in the world.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

listening to the Trueanon ep about the labour leaks

making me real angry and making me want to stay in the party and wreck the gently caress out of the adversary if they continue on in this fashion
not sure what there is to do

shame we've got almost the worst possible leader for the moment lol

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
nightingale hospital turning people away due to nurse shortages

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

peanut- posted:

Incredibly on-brand commitment to number.

It's amazing how an economic downturn and nothing else associated with that, don't look into it causes so much human suffering. A truly tragic, truly natural disaster that nothing can be done to change.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

Nobody here has ever heard of tea ladies being called char ladies?

See I thought that too, but no. Those are cleaners.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nothingtoseehere posted:

There isn't, and there can't be really. The only hope we have is that one of the ongoing drug trials finds that a drug is effective enough at treating it in vulnerable patients that the death toll from them getting infected drops to a low enough level we can tolerate, and we take measures to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. Otherwise, there is no way to prevent them from catching a disease this fast spreading beyond developing herd immunity in the healthy population, or a vaccine.

Oh for sure, I think it was just that the guidance is "shield until the end of June", but as the weeks go on, there's not really anything to say what will happen then (because no one has a clue what'll be happening by June) so my friends are either just fretting they'll be told to just get back to normal life and hope they don't get sick, sorry... or not go outside again til some time in autumn, or even next year and the waiting is just hurting for them.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

They're not wrong, the economic disaster might well outperform crona in terms of deaths (see: austerity)

Funny how it doesn't count as a "human tragedy" when it's only poor people that die though :thunk:

Is anyone else finding the weird atmosphere of fear & uncomfortable avoidance in the outside world weirdly reflective of how social anxiety makes you think things are in ordinary times? Kinda scared atm that those of us who've spent our entire lives convincing ourselves that things aren't actually the way we feel like they are are gonna really struggle to adapt back again after an extended period of "no, things are actually exactly like that, CROSS THE ROAD DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

the baader-meinhof hypothesis is bullshit

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i'm just settling into the "no acquired immunity, vaccine takes 5 years or never comes" assumption so anything else seems better

surely this time things won't be as hell-world as possible, says increasingly coughing man

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Borrovan posted:

They're not wrong, the economic disaster might well outperform crona in terms of deaths (see: austerity)
Sure, but much as it's implied that it's the case, the big number going down isn't what kills people. Food is still being produced, houses still exist, manufacturing is still happening, distribution networks are working, healthcare systems are struggling in some places but mostly not completely broken. The essentials to life are all still there, and yet if we let whatever the "economy" is run into trouble by not all going back to work ASAP millions of people are going to die of... something? Something unavoidable, even?

It's not like this mystery isn't present in normal times, but the question is laid out a little more barely just now I think.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Best get everyone back to work before they notice, then!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Back to baking, does anyone know a good place for ordering flour? Looks like they charge £30 for delivery on Amazon

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

In fairness "the economy" isn't just a particular configuration or anything, it's all the production and exchange that goes on - food isn't going to get to people without a workforce producing it, transporting it, selling or delivering it etc. And if any of those systems collapse, it takes time and resources to set something up in its place

You can't just have the majority of people hide for a year, even in a country like ours where so much production is outsourced and put on other people in other countries. That's why I don't think questioning the government's exit strategy is a bad thing, because people need to know there's a plan going forward and we're not just hiding under a pile of coats. It's just that Keir Starmer always comes across like he's asking when it'll all be over which lets the tories look strong by saying "don't be silly we need to keep people safe"

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

big scary monsters posted:

houses still exist

They will evaporate if the landlords stop getting paid.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/D_Raval/status/1252616890167562246

"Lying", Keir. The word you're looking for is "lying".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/D_Raval/status/1252616890167562246

"Lying", Keir. The word you're looking for is "lying".

It's laughable that when Starmer took over all the Corbyn bashers started in with "now we will have some proper opposition". Everywhere I look I see people calling the Tories liars over the multitude of COVID-19 scandals, especially among the FBPE set that Starmer thinks he can win back, and he does nothing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
lot of people on my newsfeed crowing about the vaccine entering human trials, according to the bbc

how do I break it to them gently that they probably shouldn't get their hopes up?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Barry Foster posted:

lot of people on my newsfeed crowing about the vaccine entering human trials, according to the bbc

how do I break it to them gently that they probably shouldn't get their hopes up?

tell them there's 7 (according to wikipedia anyway) and most of them started in March, this is like the early stages of trying to come up with a vaccine. Any eventual successful trial will still be ongoing til the end of the year at least. This ain't just gonna go away and get back to normal in the near future, we're in it for the long haul

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

The point of human trials is to check for long-term side-effects, which means trials last a long time - six months minimum. Don't want the next thalidomide.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just came across this interesting article:

https://novaramedia.com/2020/01/27/why-we-need-a-queer-history-of-the-holocaust/

quote:

Why We Need a Queer History of the Holocaust
by Dr Anna Hájková

@ankahajkova

Estimated read time: 4mins Tweet Article Facebook Share Send to Kindle

In 1996, the Australian Holocaust survivor Therese Ungar sat down for a biographical interview for the Shoah Foundation. Born in 1923 in Vienna, in 1942 she and her family were deported to Theresienstadt ghetto, before being transferred to Auschwitz in 1944.

There she saw two fellow prisoners being intimate with each other – girls hugging and kissing. It was the first time Ungar had witnessed queer desire. Her reaction was markedly negative. “The girls were most unbecoming and were very, very cruel,” she told her interviewer. Perhaps, Ungar speculated, the explanation lay in the fact that these prisoners had spent much longer in Auschwitz, and that the camp destroyed their sense of decency.

Such a statement comes as a surprise. Ungar was clear that the affair had been consensual, and yet she described it with disgust. Where was this homophobic prejudice coming from?

etc...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

baka kaba posted:

tell them there's 7 (according to wikipedia anyway) and most of them started in March, this is like the early stages of trying to come up with a vaccine. Any eventual successful trial will still be ongoing til the end of the year at least. This ain't just gonna go away and get back to normal in the near future, we're in it for the long haul

My ex works on one of the most promising vaccine candidates z she's personally very troubled by the concept of Enhanced Disease, that would be a v bad thing for the world...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I've done a bunch of medical trials so am on their mailing lists. Covance, which is based in Leeds, emailed about an upcoming Covid-19 trial in 6-8 weeks that they were looking for possible volunteers for.