Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Onmi posted:

He winds up in Costa Del Sol pissed off at Cloud.

I feel like 'pissed off at Cloud' is selling him a bit short. The guy's got a girlfriend, and by the end of the game plans to propose. He's made a good life for himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I was really disappointed not to see any more Roche, I hope he makes an appearance in the next part, with a promotion. One of those guys you're always having to have a fight with, but also stymies Shinra on the sly.

I was really surprised that he survived. I was expecting him to be like, your first part rival who dies before or during the final Shinra Tower section and gives Cloud his sword or something. He'll still probably give you his sword eventually, but in a later game I guess.

Also, if you where going to have one of the AVALANCHE trio survive then why couldn't it have been Jessie! :mad:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rhonne posted:

I was really surprised that he survived. I was expecting him to be like, your first part rival who dies before or during the final Shinra Tower section and gives Cloud his sword or something. He'll still probably give you his sword eventually, but in a later game I guess.

Also, if you where going to have one of the AVALANCHE trio survive then why couldn't it have been Jessie! :mad:

Because we're gonna have Gideon Emery survive if we can help it, darn it.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Because we're gonna have Gideon Emery survive if we can help it, darn it.

He's the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Veib posted:

He's the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

oh my god that's where the VA is from, I'm replaying FFXII right now and I couldn't put my finger on it

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Rhonne posted:

In the scene with an injured Biggs in bed, what appear to be Jessie's gloves are on the bedside table.

Of course they'd leave a teaser to make people wonder if she actually survived. :argh:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I never really thought much about Aerith in the original, she just seemed like a generic nice girl and of course she selflessly sacrifices to save the world and is more important for not being there than anything else, it had become such a meme. Meeting her again, with the characterization and personality they were able to give her, so that you can see how much of that cheeriness is a defense mechanism or a front (also she says "poo poo"), to see her genuine bond with the other characters now that the story had time to breathe, I am really much more connected to her and will probably be emotionally invested in whatever happens this time around lol

I'm in the same boat as you (Tifa is still my wife, tho).

Aerith won me over with the sheer amount of sass she flips at Cloud, but she cemented my foreveral love was when she was just hard as loving steel staring down Hojo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I loved her completely breaking Rude's tough guy act over her knee.

Rude: Go home!

Aerith: You know I can't do that, right?

Rude: Bluh guh wuh? Bluh

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I sort of wonder if the scene with Zack was just kind of shorthand for people familiar with the 7 lore that "killing the fate ghosts will have repercussions across time and realities, but can result in tragedies being averted", and not that Zack is actually going to show up in THIS reality. Like, in the FF7 cosmos, there are parallel dimensions, but the fate ghosts kept them all pretty much in a parallel line- with them out of the way, the dimensions will all start branching off at different points and going in totally random directions. The game goes out of its way to show Zack surviving is in a different "timeline", and trying to bring characters from other timelines into the Remake narrative seems like it would make the story WAY too messy.

Yeah, this is one possibility--almost like it's a "what could have been if the Whispers weren't around" sort of imagining to let us know what magnitude of new things/changes we can expect going forward. Though I do think some people will be disappointed and/or confused if those Zack scenes don't end up going anywhere, too.

Personally I like the idea that we didn't retcon our own timeline and I also have little interest in spending any time actually looking at alternate timelines, so I'd be perfectly happy if that was just a symbolic "oh boy things are gonna be really different from now on" moment. I sorta doubt it, if only because there's just so much attention drawn to it, but I wouldn't mind.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The more we discuss the ending, the less I think SE is going to actually follow up on the loose ends of this game. I predict the following:

- The rest of the story plays out like the original
- The fate of Zack, Biggs, Jessie, Wedge, et al. is ignored and they aren't revisited
- We don't have anything time or precognition related in the next games
- The Whispers are never mentioned again

I suspect they'll get cold feet, because of how wildly angry FF7 fans are about the ending to this game and the implications that it's different from the original in any way.

E: That's not to say that I agree with them - I kinda like the ending's implications, even if the execution was kinda eh. It's just that, well, you know how nerds get. Though I suspect they'll still buy the next games anyway even if they swear FF7 off entirely because of the ending.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 21, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I suspect they'll get cold feet, because of how wildly angry FF7 fans are about the ending to this game and the implications that it's different from the original in any way.

There's definitely a vocal group that have expressed their dislike, but I honestly have not seen any clear evidence that the majority of fans are angry about the direction the game took. Metacritic has majority positive user reviews.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

anakha posted:

There's definitely a vocal group that have expressed their dislike, but I honestly have not seen any clear evidence that the majority of fans are angry about the direction the game took. Metacritic has majority positive user reviews.

Twitch chats are full of people screaming "NOMURAAA" and blaming Plot Ghosts 'n poo poo, I suspect that the new gator cry will be purity or whatever. ("new")

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Twitch chats are full of people screaming "NOMURAAA" and blaming Plot Ghosts 'n poo poo, I suspect that the new gator cry will be purity or whatever. ("new")

It's twitch chat

the weirdest and angriest people are always the loudest

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Yes Twitch chat is garbage you should never read, what else is new

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Pollyanna posted:

Most people love the ending though. Like all the big name super fans on line are hard as gently caress about the idea of the future, because the game achieved what it set out to do for them: Making them feel the same way they did the first time. It seems like a minority of people are all let down. Which is irrelevant because of the central truth:

SE never backs down, for good or ill. Take a look at KH as a series. They never stepped back one step from their nonsense. FF7 was always joked as their "In case of collapse, remake it" game. If the company was ever in trouble they could just make it pretty and people would eat it up, easy money. And they announced this when things were iffy for them, and things continued to be iffy for them in a lot of ways. And it came out, and guess what?

They didn't change poo poo about how they make games now, they still went full crazy in the end. SE doesn't give a gently caress about what people think unless it's a FFXIV kill the brand diaster. Anything short of that and artistic vision wins out. They'll make the game they want until the company is burning down around them.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Andrast posted:

It's twitch chat

the weirdest and angriest people are always the loudest

From what I can tell, there's a lot of weird and angry people out there.

Also ties into how the grand majority of anger and resentment is because they wanted a one-to-one remastering of the game, and anything else leads to violently rejecting the remake.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Twitch users are hardly what I'd call representative of your FF7/FF7R playerbase.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I think a lot of people liked the ending. Most reviewers liked it, and the people screeching will buy the next one regardless of what they thought of the ending to this one.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Metacritic user score is 8.0, which while lower than some other FF games is not exactly a "capital G Gamers review bombing it" number

Like if you seriously think this game is universally hated you're getting played by a vocal minority of angry nerds bigtime

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

anakha posted:

I think even people who don't like the time ghosts agree that the other 95% of the game (including the new stuff) is incredible.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I love the changes, there’s no point in just remaking it beat for beat cause you could just put prettier textures on the original game to achieve the same effect. Nomura has been on record saying there’s no point in doing it beat for beat. The only thing I worry about is him doing his garbage Kingdom Hearts poo poo and just making everything batshit crazy only he himself understands.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also yeah, even the screechiest of monkeys right now are probably gonna buy the next game anyway. It just so happens that this game is actually good.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

It's interesting to see how different the opinions are here and the non-spoiler thread. In the other thread, they say that the majority of people outside of the forums find the ending a betrayal of everything, while here the opposite is claimed.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The internet is bad. Besides the game is going to sell a bajillion copies so it doesn’t matter who likes it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think it'd be a lot nicer to chat about it here if criticism of the ending wasn't dismissed as people only being happy with an exact 1:1 remake of the original. I haven't seen anybody anywhere saying they want that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I honestly just want better textures and models for the original and the remake can be it’s own thing. Both can exist.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Invalid Validation posted:

The internet is bad. Besides the game is going to sell a bajillion copies so it doesn’t matter who likes it.

Yeah, the following sequels are going to sell really well, regardless of how the plot develops. As long as they maintain the same quality of gameplay, characterization, and presentation, it would take writing worse than ME3's conclusion for it to be a failure critically. But it will still be a commercial success either way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Invalid Validation posted:

I honestly just want better textures and models for the original and the remake can be it’s own thing. Both can exist.

You know a whole bunch of people are going to poo poo their pants because the characters don't look like Lego figures.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The ending is divisive and is being talked about and discussed. That's a hell of a lot more interesting for an artist and consumers of that art than something safe that'd be forgotten about in a week.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hey it really seems like a lot of people in here have never considered that people might not like a thing for reasons other than being pants-making GBS threads purist fanboys

Like, you can be down for significant changes to the plot while still thinking going full alternate universe/timeline shenanigans is a dumb way to do it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

orange sky posted:

Cloud is gonna have to kill Aerith after they find that they can't save the world without her dying

Either that or she takes matters into her own hands and pulls a Celes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Half of that is just trolling though. Like going Nojimbo or whatever. The vast majority of twitch streams chat I saw were making fun of the people raging.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Why on earth would you try to make this a culture war proxy.

The Ghost of Ember
Mar 21, 2009
I'm still of the opinion that the "game is about itself" read is being way overblown and the alternate timelines and other things are unlikely to be expanded on in the sequels in the way everyone seems to be hoping/fearing. They tried to give a good climax to the game while giving knowing winks and nods to the players in the know about the original as fan service, and it blew up in their face as an accidental 'The Last Jedi' shitshow repeat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
has no one drawn a comparison between FF7R's destiny angle and its still-present ecological themes, as in how the party's struggle against the seemingly inevitable events of the original series canon is now akin to how environmentalist causes are now a struggle against inevitable ecological collapse

because that's my angle and i'm sticking to it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Keep in mind that the common element between this and TLJ is lovely nerds.

Oxxidation posted:

has no one drawn a comparison between FF7R's destiny angle and its still-present ecological themes, as in how the party's struggle against the seemingly inevitable events of the original series canon is now akin to how environmentalist causes are now a struggle against inevitable ecological collapse

because that's my angle and i'm sticking to it

I really like this interpretation.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Ghost of Ember posted:

I'm still of the opinion that the "game is about itself" read is being way overblown and the alternate timelines and other things are unlikely to be expanded on in the sequels in the way everyone seems to be hoping/fearing. They tried to give a good climax to the game while giving knowing winks and nods to the players in the know about the original as fan service, and it blew up in their face as an accidental 'The Last Jedi' shitshow repeat.

Nothing blew up in their face

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Why on earth would you try to make this a culture war proxy.

Extremely online shut-in nerds have nothing else to worry about in their sheltered first world lives and video games comprise their entire identities and as such it's the only thing they can have any kind of conversations about.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

The Ghost of Ember posted:

I'm still of the opinion that the "game is about itself" read is being way overblown and the alternate timelines and other things are unlikely to be expanded on in the sequels in the way everyone seems to be hoping/fearing.
I thought that too, but bringing Zack back right at the end suggests they have further plans for this. Why would he survive if they weren't going to use him in future installments?

God, the destiny ghosts are so incredibly dumb. Final Fantasy 7 didn't need another badly written plot device jammed into it just to make us think Aerith might live this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Do subquests count towards the manuscripts or just the main story?