Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Nintendo 64 is one of the most overrated consoles ever. It has a very frontloaded library.

Sure the top dozen titles are fantastic but past that it is very barren.

which are the top dozen titles, even? i can think of maybe 3 or 4 good N64 games, none of them are by rare and two of them are basically 2D. the n64 was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Shibawanko posted:

city 17 was still a very jarring change in setting from the first HL game that I still don't like. the way the vortigaunts worship gordon doesn't make any real sense, since he slaughtered them indiscriminately and it feels weird that they treat him like he's their best friend

When Half Life 2 came out I would have sworn they were setting up the series to be some kind of multi-universe Twin Peaks style training simulation deal, with time shifts and location changes and plot twists that make next to no sense.

Turns out that nope, it was all just retcons.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Dewgy posted:

When Half Life 2 came out I would have sworn they were setting up the series to be some kind of multi-universe Twin Peaks style training simulation deal, with time shifts and location changes and plot twists that make next to no sense.

Turns out that nope, it was all just retcons.

they just wanted to make a 1984 game and wedged some HL characters into it, it's weird when you think about how little from HL has really been preserved, except for the g-man, gordon, the crowbar weapon, headcrabs and barnacles. thats basically it. they didnt even preserve the einstein looking scientist

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Gonna try my best here...

Super Mario 64
Mario Party
Smash Bros
Goldeneye
Rogue Squadron
Starfox 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Mario Kart 64

There's probably a few more but I think that's most of the ones that folks agree are "good games". I personally liked Bomberman and Wetrix as well.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Super Mario 64
Mario Party
Smash Bros
Goldeneye
Rogue Squadron
Starfox 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Mario Kart 64

There's probably a few more but I think that's most of the ones that folks agree are "good games". I personally liked Bomberman and Wetrix as well.

I have a soft spot for mario 64, i could tolerate mario kart and smash bros but i don't think they're very interesting games that really stand out, maybe blast corps is good? I kind of don't think the other games on that list are any good, including the zelda ones.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Shibawanko posted:

city 17 was still a very jarring change in setting from the first HL game that I still don't like. the way the vortigaunts worship gordon doesn't make any real sense, since he slaughtered them indiscriminately and it feels weird that they treat him like he's their best friend

In HL1 they were enslaved until Gordon popped the Nihilanths stupid big head, so it's not too surprising that they like him.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Paper Mario and DK64 probably belong too.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sinky posted:

In HL1 they were enslaved until Gordon popped the Nihilanths stupid big head, so it's not too surprising that they like him.

yeah but unless i'm remembering wrong, all of that is stuff that seems to have been invented as part of the backstory of HL2, in the first game the vorts were called "alien slave" in the files and had bracers on, but that's the only kind of hint you get that they're a complete slave race instead of just generic hostile aliens. HL2 doesn't even really do a good job of explaining why they love him now, it never mentions the nihilanth ingame so when I first played it i was like "huh why is this alien guy being friendly now"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

I have a soft spot for mario 64, i could tolerate mario kart and smash bros but i don't think they're very interesting games that really stand out, maybe blast corps is good? I kind of don't think the other games on that list are any good, including the zelda ones.

Most likely the list you assumes you were a child when those games came out, and played them around that time. If that's the case and you still didn't like them, then you just hate fun or something!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ocarina of Time: not a good game

I think most of the stuff from that period has aged terribly but everything on that list was great when it came out. I'd still rather play Mario Kart 64 over any of the others.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Moon Monster posted:

unironically agreed, though

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Shibawanko posted:

yeah but unless i'm remembering wrong, all of that is stuff that seems to have been invented as part of the backstory of HL2, in the first game the vorts were called "alien slave" in the files and had bracers on, but that's the only kind of hint you get that they're a complete slave race instead of just generic hostile aliens. HL2 doesn't even really do a good job of explaining why they love him now, it never mentions the nihilanth ingame so when I first played it i was like "huh why is this alien guy being friendly now"

It's all clearly explained by that one vortigaunt that's hidden in a tunnel on the speedboat mission :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgIgPyDxkpg

But yeah I don't think there's anything in HL1 about it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Moon Monster posted:

I think most of the stuff from that period has aged terribly but everything on that list was great when it came out. I'd still rather play Mario Kart 64 over any of the others.

Mario Kart 64 was the last Mario Kart that really hooked me. Double Dash felt a bit gimmicky and MK8 on the Switch having the customization stuff just completely lost me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Shibawanko posted:

which are the top dozen titles, even? i can think of maybe 3 or 4 good N64 games, none of them are by rare and two of them are basically 2D. the n64 was awful.

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Doom 64
Majora's Mask
GoldenEye
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie
Ogre Battle 64
Sin & Punishment
Banjo Tooie
Star Fox 64
Mischief Makers

I can think of very few other quality titles for the system. I guess Bangai-O, Paper Mario, and Conker. I really disliked Mario Kart 64.

Again not TERRIBLE but compare that to the PlayStation's endless library the Nintendo 64 seems to be more comparable to the Saturn (and an underdog still).

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 21, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

HL2 should have shown the invasion of the combine, that would have actually been pretty cool to see. The first game started out on a really strong note by first showing normality (the scientists working in the lab) followed by this big catastrophe and aliens invading and everybody going apeshit. sequel should've been set after the resonance cascade ended, with some kind of introduction followed by the combine being alerted to the existence of Earth because of the actions of the player and sending a giant army through a portal or something

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

punk rebel ecks posted:

Super Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Doom 64
Majora's Mask
GoldenEye
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie
Ogre Battle 64
Sin & Punishment
Banjo Tooie
Star Fox 64
Mischief Makers

I can think of very few other quality titles for the system. I guess Bangai-O, Paper Mario, and Conker. I really disliked Mario Kart 64.

Again not TERRIBLE but compare that to the PlayStation's endless library the Nintendo 64 seems to be more comparable to the Saturn (and an underdog still).

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer was also an N64 exclusive (for that gen, at least, I think it came out on Dreamcast later) that was shockingly good. I’d put Jet Force Gemini on there even if the endgame was “needs a guide to actually complete” type poo poo. Blast Corps was also a classic. Body Harvest wasn’t perfect but it was a game that did things you wouldn’t really see anywhere else til the PS2 gen and was pretty drat good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
rogue squadron as well

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mischief makers is pretty good but the fact that it keeps ending up on "best of" lists for the n64 is tremendously damning for the console imo

e: and as i'm posting this my n64 is sitting like, fifteen feet away, with mischief makers in it, so i'm not like talking outta my rear end here

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 21, 2020

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Shibawanko posted:

HL2 should have shown the invasion of the combine, that would have actually been pretty cool to see. The first game started out on a really strong note by first showing normality (the scientists working in the lab) followed by this big catastrophe and aliens invading and everybody going apeshit. sequel should've been set after the resonance cascade ended, with some kind of introduction followed by the combine being alerted to the existence of Earth because of the actions of the player and sending a giant army through a portal or something

Nope

It was cool that they for once bypassed that and we just started on already conquered earth. That was basically the best part of HL2, exploring the new earth under the rule of the mysterious aliens and how they had systematically broken down humanity piece by piece

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

food court bailiff posted:

mischief makers is pretty good but the fact that it keeps ending up on "best of" lists for the n64 is tremendously damning for the console imo

e: and as i'm posting this my n64 is sitting like, fifteen feet away, with mischief makers in it, so i'm not like talking outta my rear end here

Pretty much. The Nintendo 64 is like "Wii quality", a system that while has some killer titles (Super Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Sin & Punishment 2), has a pretty average library as a whole. Though to be fair comparing those systems is a bit apples and oranges.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

food court bailiff posted:

mischief makers is the third best game by treasure on the n64. it might be the treasure game i like the least overall of the ones i've played.

if you bought ogre battle 64, and it was your favorite game on the system, you clearly should've bought a saturn or a ps1 instead.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

Super Mario 64
Mario Party
Smash Bros
Goldeneye
Rogue Squadron
Starfox 64
Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
Mario Kart 64

you forgot Resident Evil 2

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Do you all live in some extra Hellworld where Wave Race was never released or what?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Do you all live in some extra Hellworld where Wave Race was never released or what?

Or Star Wars Pod Racer? Or F-Zero X!?!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If I had to go back and play a console from that generation it would be the 64. Yeah the Playstation had way more games but they've mostly aged just as bad or worse. Playing a 90s era jrpg in 2020 is a major exercise in frustration.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

N64 has smash and Mario Kart and 4 controller ports. I don’t see how that can just be ignored unless ... goons either have no friends or bad taste or broth.

PS1 also had great games but the signal to noise ratio was through the roof. You hang out with a kid who had a 64 you’re almost guaranteed some fun. PS1 you might just be watching them play Gran Turismo and waiting to be picked up.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The N64 library was dire and theres no way Id give up a console with a non-stop cavalcade of cross genre hits and quirky gems as well as the superior version of every multi-plat for a system that is 1/3rd racing games by volume.

But at least you arent a saturn owner.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the n64 is the only console in the running for people with 3 hands

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ideal for my Vortigaunt pals

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Paper Mario is unquestionably the best N64 game, Mario Kart 64 is the worst Mario Kart except maybe the GBA one, and Paper Mario 64 is better than Thousand Year Door.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

well why not posted:

N64 has... 4 controller ports.

:hai:
Best console ever made for this reason alone until gamecube and the xbox came along.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

punk rebel ecks posted:

The Nintendo 64 is one of the most overrated consoles ever. It has a very frontloaded library.

Sure the top dozen titles are fantastic but past that it is very barren.

harvest moon 64, hybrid heaven, majora's mask... it was a SHOVELWARE system. but it was by no means heavily front loaded

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

mischief makers is the third best game by treasure on the n64. it might be the treasure game i like the least overall of the ones i've played.

if you bought ogre battle 64, and it was your favorite game on the system, you clearly should've bought a saturn or a ps1 instead.

i never had ogre battle 64 as a kid but it was pretty good. it lacked one important thing, though: random loot. the whole gamebreaking-side appeal of march of the black queen was that you could get a sorcerer or a even princess in the second stage (first stage if you were playing the ps1 remaster), and then you had to rein them in and strictly ration your deployment of them or you would accidentally make a useless evil princess unit

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 22, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

extreme g

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

3dO is superior to all other consoles. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-40q-WCkm4. Oh I forgot about Uncle Fez. It's fine play Pataank instead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DugjTiR8zl4

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I love the dumb little joystick on the N64 controller that feels like a robots nipple, and a poorly constructed robot at that

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The only people who love the N64 were the ones who had it as children.

It aged like garbage. Of any relevant system, it is now pretty much the worst.

Relevant systems:

NES
SNES
N64
GC
Wii
Wii U
Xbox
PS1
PS2
PS3
Master System
Saturn
Dreamcast
TG16

The only system on that list that is arguably as bad is the Saturn. There isn't even an argument between the N64 and any of those other systems. They all have much better libraries and/or are better to play on.

The only things keeping the N64s head above water are SM64, MK64, OoT and Smash. All are seminal titles.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I didn't think anyone would argue the N64 had a big library of worthwhile games. But then again, pretty much all of the ones worth playing have been remade on bettter consoles. Even the 360 ports of Banjo.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Waltzing Along posted:

The only things keeping the N64s head above water are SM64, MK64, OoT and Smash. All are seminal titles.

Almost everything that was good on the N64 ended up with a game that was about as good or much better on the Gamecube (e.g. Smash bros melee vs. Smash, Super Mario Sunshine vs. Super Mario 64, Double Dash vs. Mario Kart, Wind Waker vs. OOT, F-Zero GX vs. F-Zero X, Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door vs. Paper Mario.) I bought a Wii primarily to play smash bros. brawl, and I ended up using it mostly to play Gamecube games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Speaking of unpopular or at least weird opinions: Super Mario Odyssey seems to take a ton of ideas in structure and tone from Banjo-Kazooie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Banjo Kazooie is mostly just collecting for the sake of collecting, its a pretty lame game.