Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This evening I wandered into Riverford after finishing Orewell and came across the Warbringer. I got blown the hell out my first time around, buckled down and rejiggered all my equipment and skills and went back in and took Winnehild down to critical health over 30 minutes before finally succumbing to the onslaught of attacks. I almost managed to pull it off with my 50/40/35/35 party. The MVP was the overheal skill, allowing Ophilia to tank an unbelievable amount of damage and then pull a "Heroes Never Die!" to pick my entire party back up multiple times. Unfortunately all my debuffs were actively falling off, and I couldn't get the buffs back up in time and start applying enough damage to finish her off before she blew through all my defenses.

Game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

If the combat system is just ok to me is there something else to keep me going? I’m about 10 hours in, through everyone’s chapter 1, and I’m definitely avoiding combats where possible already.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

ketchup vs catsup posted:

If the combat system is just ok to me is there something else to keep me going? I’m about 10 hours in, through everyone’s chapter 1, and I’m definitely avoiding combats where possible already.

Chapter 1 is the low point of the game. Bosses get significantly harder and more challenging after that and the stories build up -- though if you're not a fan of vignettes then it probably won't be really your type of thing. Coming from a tabletop environment I really appreciated the attention to the world detail and the no-nonsense approach to hitting the buildups and climaxes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

SKULL.GIF posted:

This evening I wandered into Riverford after finishing Orewell and came across the Warbringer. I got blown the hell out my first time around, buckled down and rejiggered all my equipment and skills and went back in and took Winnehild down to critical health over 30 minutes before finally succumbing to the onslaught of attacks. I almost managed to pull it off with my 50/40/35/35 party. The MVP was the overheal skill, allowing Ophilia to tank an unbelievable amount of damage and then pull a "Heroes Never Die!" to pick my entire party back up multiple times. Unfortunately all my debuffs were actively falling off, and I couldn't get the buffs back up in time and start applying enough damage to finish her off before she blew through all my defenses.

Game is good.

The best advice for Warbringer is to get Runelord first, then slap that on Tressa. Have her use Transfer Rune, then a BP-boosted Sidestep, and you’ll trivialize Warbringer and almost every single other boss in the game from that point onwards.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

After going through over half of Chapter 4, I take back whatever I said about Empoison, it's possibly the most turn-efficient damaging move in the game.

Baseline it's 2 rounds of poison for 1 turn 0 BP. Alfyn (or another Apothecary) can do about 500-750 damage with that turn without expending BP. I think the only character who can do more than that at this point is Cyrus/Scholar -- obviously the scaling will affect the specific numbers but I'm fairly up-to-date on gear. Poison ticks for 1000-1500 on Chapter 4 bosses. Sure, it doesn't break shields but sometimes that's actually a benefit when you want to delay a break to the next turn.

I must've gotten unlucky and used it on a boss that was resistant to poison or whatever and gotten a very bad impression of it.

Regalingualius posted:

The best advice for Warbringer is to get Runelord first, then slap that on Tressa. Have her use Transfer Rune, then a BP-boosted Sidestep, and you’ll trivialize Warbringer and almost every single other boss in the game from that point onwards.

That's a neat trick, and it sounds strong enough that I'll probably never use it. I've been really enjoying the game and the challenge of the harder bosses and don't want to take away from that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
You'll love the optional super boss then.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I just picked this up and started playing today and I'm in love with it. Is there a list available anywhere for optimal subjobs per character, or who I should use the stat-boosting nuts on?

I'd really like to go full cheese on my first playthrough since I might not have time for a second. Are there any OP combos I should be aware of?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Manxome Foe posted:

I just picked this up and started playing today and I'm in love with it. Is there a list available anywhere for optimal subjobs per character, or who I should use the stat-boosting nuts on?

I'd really like to go full cheese on my first playthrough since I might not have time for a second. Are there any OP combos I should be aware of?

All of the secret jobs are pretty busted, but Runelord on Tressa bends the game over your knee.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Some Numbers posted:

All of the secret jobs are pretty busted, but Runelord on Tressa bends the game over your knee.

Thanks for that. I just looked up a few guides and I think I see how to break the game:

Runelord Tressa
Sorcerer Therion
Warmaster H'annit
Starseer Ophilia

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Nope!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Manxome Foe posted:

Thanks for that. I just looked up a few guides and I think I see how to break the game:

Runelord Tressa
Sorcerer Therion
Warmaster H'annit
Starseer Ophilia

As for earlier in the game...

Warrior Tressa/Merchant Olberic have the simple but effective Sidestep and Taunt combo against mainly physical enemies.

Thief and Hunter combined can be set up as your party’s debuffer, and H’aanit can become really evasive, which is handy for her Provoke fights.

Cleric and Scholar is well-suited for being able to swap between group healing and area damage, though they can go through MP like crazy early on. Scholar and Dancer is also decent at boosting your own damage, though you’ll probably find better combos by the endgame.

Alfyn’s Concoct is straight up busted at everything except damage.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oh yeah I forgot to mention Concoct

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly, everyone is good. Cyrus is overshadowed by the more minmaxed spellslingers and H'aanit is kinda meh when Olberic exists, but everyone is very good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I didn't use Concoct even once all game

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Should I be racing to get the secret jobs; im currently around lv 45 and about to start everyone's Ch. 4.

My current setup which has worked quite well so far is below. The other characters I only sub in as required for their chapters.

Cyrus - Scholar / Merchant (Sorcerer?)
H'aanit - Hunter / Warrior (Warmaster?)
Ophilia - Cleric / Scholar (Starseer?)
Therion - Thief / Dancer (Runelord?)

e: maybe better to put Starseer on Cyrus and Sorcerer on Ophilia. Cyrus only uses half SP for spells and has SP regen so ive never had him come anywhere close to running out of SP. Therion is my buffer / debuffer and H'aanit is maxxed for physical damage.

TommyGun85 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 19, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TommyGun85 posted:

Should I be racing to get the secret jobs; im currently around lv 45 and about to start everyone's Ch. 4.

You can probably complete Chapter 4 as-is, honestly.

I deliberately avoided grinding and had Evasive Manuevers permanently on, and didn't do any of the tier 3 side dungeons, and I still felt overleveled by the time I finished all eight Ch4s. A shame too as some of the last few bosses had really cool mechanics, but didn't have remotely enough health for it to matter.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I didn't use Concoct even once all game
Yeah, same here.

I generally hate crafting and recipes and gathering Bear Assess in games, though

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Basically you want to get the secondary jobs ASAP in chapter 2, then make sure everyone gets Patience (Hunter), Saving Grace (Cleric), and SP Saver (Merchant) ASAP. Get the SP regen too if you want but you shouldn't need it with SP Saver.

When you get the secret jobs give everyone the Starseer passive that gives a 25% chance to negate any attack.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The secret jobs are absolutely overkill for the chapter 4 bosses so only get them if you're okay with making the game even easier

For me it was a super chill game of dress up and optimizing and cool stories, but it's like legitimately one of the easiest games I've ever played in my life

I'm curious if it's that easy for JRPG newcomers or people not used to job systems

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oof, I probably shouldn't have done the Forest of Purgation first off the bat for my postgame content. The boss there took me a solid 30 minutes of fighting before I finally killed it. I thought I'd gotten it under control when it suddenly drops a Lunar Howl wiping off all my buffs. Thought I was good and done there, but fortunately it ran out of wolves to summon so I could slowly get back on my feet and keep on hacking away at it.

The Bloop posted:

Yeah, same here.

I generally hate crafting and recipes and gathering Bear Assess in games, though

I've been using Concoct like mad and now I have to go find some more Purifying Dust and Essence of Plum because I'm almost out of both. I've been stealing compulsively though and that gives you a good pile of items to work with.

I don't think they're sold anywhere so I guess it's time to find some monsters that I can reliably steal from.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
from what i can tell its pretty hard to not break the game. in fact its probably harder to not break the game than break the game.
eidt: for example i bought two forbidden weapons in chapter 2 towns and turns out they are like the second best weapons of their class or something. whoops

Iretep fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 19, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I guess it would be a bit challenging if you didn't use Soulstones

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
I'm not usually a fan of crafting in games, and Chemists always feel awkward to use in jrpgs, but Alfyn's Concoct is so immediately overpowered and actually makes the recipes and effects obvious before you use them; why would I pass up a practically free 4 BP, 999 MP, or 9999 HP to the whole party?

Alfyn is the best unit in the game and it's entirely because of Concoct.

precision posted:

The secret jobs are absolutely overkill for the chapter 4 bosses so only get them if you're okay with making the game even easier

Coming off Bravely Default I have to say that yeah this was kinda disappointing, the secret jobs are gotten so late and there's practically nothing to use them on, which feels pretty bad.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Basically you want to get the secondary jobs ASAP in chapter 2, then make sure everyone gets Patience (Hunter), Saving Grace (Cleric), and SP Saver (Merchant) ASAP. Get the SP regen too if you want but you shouldn't need it with SP Saver.

When you get the secret jobs give everyone the Starseer passive that gives a 25% chance to negate any attack.

Wait; can you still use skills from secondary jobs if your characters are no longer assigned to them? I kind of just set and forget them

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

TommyGun85 posted:

Wait; can you still use skills from secondary jobs if your characters are no longer assigned to them? I kind of just set and forget them

Yes. You don't need to have a secondary job equipped to learn its skills and passives. All you have to do is spend the JP. You have to equip the job to spend points on it, but you can build up the points using any secondary job.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes. You don't need to have a secondary job equipped to learn its skills and passives. All you have to do is spend the JP. You have to equip the job to spend points on it, but you can build up the points using any secondary job.

my question was whether you could use skills without having the class equipped.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

TommyGun85 posted:

my question was whether you could use skills without having the class equipped.

passive skills, yes

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I've been using Concoct like mad and now I have to go find some more Purifying Dust and Essence of Plum because I'm almost out of both. I've been stealing compulsively though and that gives you a good pile of items to work with.

I don't think they're sold anywhere so I guess it's time to find some monsters that I can reliably steal from.

Purifying Dust can be bought in the later towns, I think some mix of C2/3 and C4 towns. All the seeds and dusts can be bought.

Anything you can’t buy can be gotten from certain enemies and just using Purchase/Steal on every NPC you meet. I know most bats carry Curious Bloom, not sure for stuff like Essence of Plums or Pomegranates though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oof, I probably shouldn't have done the Forest of Purgation first off the bat for my postgame content.

:saddowns: Turns out this guy was apparently the second hardest fight in the game, no wonder everything else felt like cake after taking this guy on roughly like 10 levels early. About to enter the final dungeon, should be done with the game tomorrow and ready for Trials of Mana.

I really loved this game but the difficulty let me down especially given how much work they put into the combat system and giving most bosses their own unique thing to interact with the mechanics of the combat system. There's a lot of little things they could've done to make bosses slightly more challenging, like not having defensive shuffles consume a full action, or giving everyone just a tad more HP so there's more time to really deal with the mechanics. Like I get it, this is the kind of game you break over your knee, but I've been trying to avoid doing that and trying to avoid grinding, but it's still coming fairly easy.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Yeah, I just went around to a bunch of the job shrines before doing Therion's chapter 2 and it pushed me up to level 27 so between that and having secondary jobs, poor Orlick wasn't even remotely threatening.

Edit: Breaking a group of enemies and then nuking them with a scholar is pretty fun in itself for now, though. A boosted flame spell looks impressively brutal.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 20, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rand Brittain posted:

Starting with Therion means never having to go back to grab a purple chest.

Also nice for stealing some high powered gear early on in some cases.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Woof, after slaughtering all the postgame bosses with extreme ease, the final boss is really something else.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

Woof, after slaughtering all the postgame bosses with extreme ease, the final boss is really something else.

Yep. It sucks a lot. I've tried 3 times and I got phase 1 down easy but phase 2 slaughters me almost immediately. I need to grind some more levels on people and create better setups for my second team.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Best recommendation I have is put a Warmaster into your second party (I chose H’aanit) and Alfyn, and have him pump the rest of the party’s BP up with Concoct and/or the Apothecary ultimate, so your WM can spam their ultimate every turn. Once you kill the initial three parts, just be aware that once he does his “tell” for his ultimate attack, you’ll want to pour everything into breaking him if you can, since you’ll get full BP if you do it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Regalingualius posted:

Best recommendation I have is put a Warmaster into your second party (I chose H’aanit) and Alfyn, and have him pump the rest of the party’s BP up with Concoct and/or the Apothecary ultimate, so your WM can spam their ultimate every turn. Once you kill the initial three parts, just be aware that once he does his “tell” for his ultimate attack, you’ll want to pour everything into breaking him if you can, since you’ll get full BP if you do it.

My biggest challenge is that if none of my people go first and overheal everyone, I get wiped immediately. I think everyone on that team needs good speed and a way to heal the whole party.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Don't forget that Large Olives of Life heal for 9999. That saved me from a wipe last time I did the final boss.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mega64 posted:

Don't forget that Large Olives of Life heal for 9999. That saved me from a wipe last time I did the final boss.

Yeah I love that. I abused it a lot.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Danced my way into a 100x Exp in a chapter 4 boss fight. Jumped the whole party from level 50 to 70, 5/5 would dance again.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CubeTheory posted:

Danced my way into a 100x Exp in a chapter 4 boss fight. Jumped the whole party from level 50 to 70, 5/5 would dance again.

This poo poo is great and hilarious until a little later when you ask yourself oh God what did I just do to the game balance

The dog that caught the XP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Bloop posted:

This poo poo is great and hilarious until a little later when you ask yourself oh God what did I just do to the game balance

The dog that caught the XP

There's like a giant jump between chapter 4 and the rest of the game's content. As someone who went through the game worrying about the difficulty I was greatly disappointed with what I was given but at the same time overwhelmed with what I actually got.

My advice is to not worry about it too much. Anyone inclined enough to do something like that will find an appropriate challenge in Orsterra.