Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'd like to request a thread title change please.

hell yes I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

man nurse posted:

I believe these are the original voice actors from Sonic Adventure

Ryan Drummond is, but pretty sure Emi Jones isn't.
She does seem to have a bunch of Sonic covers on her Youtube channel tho, including
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHLWN6gNb_o

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

What if it's Sonic Adventure 3

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, Sonic Adventure is so buggy and sub-par in terms of collision and camera that if they were going to remaster it they'd basically have to just remake the game from scratch. I don't think you could just slap a coat of paint on it like most remasters.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i think its just a collab for a music video or something

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

she did a song with hunnid p once already

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, Sonic Adventure is so buggy and sub-par in terms of collision and camera that if they were going to remaster it they'd basically have to just remake the game from scratch. I don't think you could just slap a coat of paint on it like most remasters.

the spyro and crash remakes are rebuilt from the ground up and I think that's the kinda thing people have in mind when they fantasize about an SA remake

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Yeah obviously Sonic Adventure is a mess, I meant Remake, I think with a Remake you can make sonic adventure into a really fantastic experience, because the pieces of something amazing is there, it's just that sonic team loving sucks.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic adventure was the first real attempt at 3d sonic and people loved it at the time, it just hasnt aged well + it was improved on in every way with sa2

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

what they need to do is port sa2b to switch

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

sharrrk posted:

sonic adventure was the first real attempt at 3d sonic and people loved it at the time, it just hasnt aged well + it was improved on in every way with sa2

Yeah Sonic Adventure blew my pants off and made me buy a dreamcast when I was a kid. it didnt age well at all but it's an incredible package overall if it had better direction and less bugginess it wouldve been A+

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Sonic Adventure has powerful nostalgia for me. Besides which, it has a bangin' soundtrack, and it has heart and soul. It's very charming and feels distinctly Sonic. This is the element I felt SA 2 lacked. SA 2 felt too self serious and leaned too hard on the boring shooting stages.

That said, if they compiled, say, both games in a remaster, I'd play it no questions asked. But I'm infinitely more excited at the prospect of a SA 1 revival.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

man nurse posted:

Sonic Adventure has powerful nostalgia for me. Besides which, it has a bangin' soundtrack, and it has heart and soul. It's very charming and feels distinctly Sonic. This is the element I felt SA 2 lacked. SA 2 felt too self serious and leaned too hard on the boring shooting stages.

That said, if they compiled, say, both games in a remaster, I'd play it no questions asked. But I'm infinitely more excited at the prospect of a SA 1 revival.

Yeah the track ‘it doesn’t matter’ alone puts it over the line for me and also it does have more of an earnest heart and soul than SA 2 did which is why I think it has much bigger potential for a remake.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Sonic Mania 2 please god that's all I want in my life right now

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Kaethela posted:

Sonic mania 2 would also be incredible.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kaethela posted:

:same:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A straight SA1 remake would do me just fine right now, not gonna lie. Imagine the intro with modern production values.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 21, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is Sega we're talking about, they probably fired everyone involved in Sonic Mania as retaliation for getting a better reception than Forces.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I’d be very surprised if a Sonic Mania 2 ever happened

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

This is Sega we're talking about, they probably fired everyone involved in Sonic Mania as retaliation for getting a better reception than Forces.

Given the one guy was trying to kickstart some other game, I wouldn't be surprised if Mania 2 wasn't even being considered.

Sega seems to hate success when it comes to Sonic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sonic Mania 2 but the sprites use Hesse’s designs instead of aping the 90s sprites.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Big's Big Fishing Adventure 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pants Donkey posted:

Sonic Mania 2 but the sprites use Hesse’s designs instead of aping the 90s sprites.

Hesse's designs, Rayman Origins type high-res dynamic art

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d buy a SA remaster. It’s a janky rear end game but I’m not sure I’d say is good even for the time but I do have a ton of affection for it. I’d be surprised if they used the original VA rather than the current cast.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SA has a lot of potential in design but it's a buggy trash fire. SA2 could be pretty much fixed by ripping out the camera and putting in one that works.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d buy a SA remaster. It’s a janky rear end game but I’m not sure I’d say is good even for the time but I do have a ton of affection for it. I’d be surprised if they used the original VA rather than the current cast.

Well technically they can’t use all of the original cast anyway seeing as the kids who played Tails are way too old now and Eggman’s original VA Deem Bristow is dead (also I’m pretty sure Jon St. John wants nothing to do with the series anymore and hates doing the Big voice).

In my opinion it’d probably just be easier to re-record the whole thing with the current voice cast.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 21, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s a janky rear end game but I’m not sure I’d say is good even for the time

it's wild that people say this. Sonic came out in 1998. 3D platformers could just barely handle having slow moving platforms in them in 1998. Look at the entirety of Sky Chase and keep reminding yourself "this came out in 1998". The complexity of level geometry and physics (hacky as they were) and the wild setpieces and the speed and the effortless way that Sonic moved. SA1 was loving stellar for its time.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Augus posted:

it's wild that people say this. Sonic came out in 1998. 3D platformers could just barely handle having slow moving platforms in them in 1998. Look at the entirety of Sky Chase and keep reminding yourself "this came out in 1998". The complexity of level geometry and physics (hacky as they were) and the speed and the effortless way that Sonic moved. SA1 was loving stellar for its time.

agreed, by 1998 we didnt have games like super mario 64, the entire crash trilogy and banjo kazooie. 3d platformers were all bad and a comical mess just like sa1.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It was the same year as the first Spyro game and two years after Crash got started. I didn't really appreciate how close it released to the first wave of classic 3D platformers.

But a fairly straight remake would still be a lot of fun, just copying the original and generally tidying up the level design a bit would be fine.

e: Yeah, we had a lot of the classics by then, but we were still barely a few years into 3D console gaming proper, when there was a lot of experimentation and not a lot of established rules. The Crash games in particular got churned out like clockwork with no major changes to the basic platforming.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 21, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stux posted:

agreed, by 1998 we didnt have games like super mario 64, the entire crash trilogy and banjo kazooie. 3d platformers were all bad and a comical mess just like sa1.

ah yes, mario 64, and crash bandicoot, games notoriously free of jank that have aged perfectly
and who can forget the fast, free-flowing, technical movement of banjo-kazooie limited only by your imagination

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 21, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mario 64 is orders of magnitude better to control than SA1, it's not even a contest. Mario 64 basically established exactly how third personal platforming would work in one go, with the exception of the second stick camera. There's a few little oddities and wierd bits and jank but it works and it's intuitive from the moment you pick it up and you don't lose half your lives just flying off into space or standing upside down and then falling out of the map or just barreling straight into the water for no discernable reason or all the ridiculous stuff SA1 did.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Augus posted:

ah yes, mario 64, and crash bandicoot, games notoriously free of jank that have aged perfectly
and who can forget the fast, free-flowing, technical movement of banjo-kazooie limited only by your imagination

i mean yeah, all three of those still play fine right now, theyve all aged considerably better and were better at the time too. and you can say sm64 has jank but it was actually technically incredible in a way sa1 absolutely isnt. it hasnt aged perfectly but its entirely down to the camera and not even that bad. the movement itself is still extremely crisp and wonderful to play. crash doesnt have jank, its extremely not janky, to the point of people complaining about the remaster ruining the controls because theyre so tightly tuned in the original and didnt need changing. they still play absolutely perfectly and the game specifically has a great camera because its all fixed and intentional. i dont know what the banjo slam is meant to be because the movement in that game is great.

basically any competent 3d platformer from that era is better than sa1 technically and in gameplay. sa1 is more closely related to the other 3d platformers everyone forgets about because theyre a mess. because its a mess.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

if it doesn't take you 10 hours before you're intimately familiar enough with the controls to be able to hop from one rail to another, nearby, parallel rail, i don't think it's a game worthy of bearing the sonic adventure title

SA1 without bad controls would be like SA1 without horrifying facial animation or SA1 without a mandatory and extensive fishing minigame

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

run around for a few minutes in Mystic Ruins and tell me what exactly is difficult and unintuitive about the way Sonic controls

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

realtalk though i don't like comparing mario 64 to SA1 both because SA1 had the benefit of mario 64 already preceeding it (minus for SA1) and also because i tend to think that SA1 was considerably more ambitious in gameplay complexity (willing to be much more forgiving towards SA1 for this)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Augus posted:

run around for a few minutes in Mystic Ruins and tell me what exactly is difficult and unintuitive about the way Sonic controls

i don't think it's unintuitive but performing actions with much degree of precision is pretty difficult. many of my "let's go back and play old 3d sonic games" experiences have begun with "haha holy poo poo i tilt my stick slightly and sonic veers wildly away, i guess i'm restarting from the checkpoint since that sent me straight off a cliff" and this difficulty in performing precise movements i assume is the reason why the "homing attack" was invented

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Augus posted:

The only issue I ever had was getting stuck on a couple of complex twisty platforms, but otherwise I had no issues with the way the game controls. Hell, Sonic's bouncy run in SA1 is my favourite of all the games, and Speed Highway remains one of the all-time most fun and iconic levels in the series.

What the game is lacking that its contemporaries had is any amount of polish whatsoever.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Augus posted:

it's wild that people say this. Sonic came out in 1998. 3D platformers could just barely handle having slow moving platforms in them in 1998. Look at the entirety of Sky Chase and keep reminding yourself "this came out in 1998". The complexity of level geometry and physics (hacky as they were) and the wild setpieces and the speed and the effortless way that Sonic moved. SA1 was loving stellar for its time.

I remember thinking it felt kinda jank at the time compared to Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. It sure was pretty though playing it on a computer monitor with the VGA cable.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I mean that's basically just early Sonic in a nutshell. The trade-off for wild ambition and pushing the boundaries of the technology you're working with is a big pile of jank. Robotnik's deadly speed traps are a thing for a reason.

I just feel like the jank of the adventure games might be exaggerated a bit in a few areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I love Sonic Adventure with all my heart but you're crazy if you think it controls as good as Mario 64, no it doesnt. full stop. it's jank.