Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.
found out why I couldn’t get cable working in the new house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

zynga dot com posted:

found out why I couldn’t get cable working in the new house!
Had this at a previous apartment. It's now the first thing I check on cable outlets.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That was one of the great reveals from "Hoodwinked House" (yes the site was down when I checked to find the pic that looks exactly like that).

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So a thing I found in my new house. There was this thing (a 70s ish make your own plug) plugged into the basement but I didn't know what it could possibly be. So I traced this mystery wire and it went like 8ft to the wall and up.. hmm weird let's unplug it and figure out what's not on.

So I unplug it and flip the switch that turns on the garage light and the outdoor light by the door and none of that turns on.

First few weeks of homeownership has been a magical puzzle solving experience of hmm what's this.. oh that's a really interesting (read hosed up) way to do that thing.

One owner homes aren't great when the previous owner knew enough to really do some weird rear end poo poo. And or did a quick patch job and then forgot to like finish it because it worked.

edited because I forgot words.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 21, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

So a thing I found in my new house. There was this thing (a 70s ish make your own plug) plugged into the basement but I didn't know what it could possibly be. So I traced this mystery wire and it went like 8ft to the wall and up.. hmm weird let's unplug it and figure out what's not on.

So I unplug it and flip the switch that turns on the garage light and the outdoor light by the door.

Speaking of forgetting to finish things, I think you forgot to finish your story.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

resolved I thought I had that part finished but instead I didn't. Mayybe the house has infected me.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
PREVIOUS OWNER!!! :arghfist:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Ugh, buying a replacement wall oven is going to be a bigger pain than I thought. The unit they have there has long been discontinued (Bosch hbn 445) with measurements that are not that standard (27 inch width, 23 inch height), so now I have to figure out how much cutting we can do to increase the height for the oven if we can't find one that fits exactly.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yay homeownership..

My stairwell may not fit my dryer.. let's.hope it does when I move Monday.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Luckily for me I just found that a certified repair for Bosch is literally 400 yards from my place.
Normally I wouldn't dream of repairing a 15 year old oven (instead of just replacing it) but it might save me the headache of finding the apparently very rare 27x23 wall oven, especially since my wife hopes to some day remodel the kitchen and not have a wall over at all.

Marcus Elden
Apr 8, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Struensee posted:

Our samsung condensation drier takes 3 hours and fifteen minutes to dry out a load. Maybe it's the a+++ energy efficiency.

Have you opened it up and cleaned the condensation unit? If it's covered in fluff or clogged it will take forever.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Struensee posted:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I asked in the DIY thread, might as well ask it here

Does anyone have a recommendation of where to shop for custom length curtains that can go on a curtain track system?
The ceilings in my new condo are 13' high, and the curtain track is close to the ceiling, so we need something pretty long, and we wanted the hooks or whatever that go into the track to be sewn in. Local places that might do it are all closed, and blinds.com options all seem to use rods or similar.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

joepinetree posted:

On a related note, is consumer reports testing worth anything? I've been looking for any sort of concrete data on this and they claim to have it, but behind a paywall.

I used to put a lot of weight on CR's reviews, but I've now been burned twice on big appliance purchases that I did based on their reviews, and after researching and finding others having the same issues ultimately, it's made me put a lot less weight on what they say, fwiw.

I think one of the primary issues is that they try to base some of the ratings, such as reliability, on a brand's past performance, which I get, but when the brand changes ownership, introduces new systems/tech, etc., they seem to continue to rate based on past results and not take into account any potential changeover impacts.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

SourKraut posted:

I used to put a lot of weight on CR's reviews, but I've now been burned twice on big appliance purchases that I did based on their reviews, and after researching and finding others having the same issues ultimately, it's made me put a lot less weight on what they say, fwiw.

I think one of the primary issues is that they try to base some of the ratings, such as reliability, on a brand's past performance, which I get, but when the brand changes ownership, introduces new systems/tech, etc., they seem to continue to rate based on past results and not take into account any potential changeover impacts.

I subscribed. Their reliability and satisfaction ratings are crap (they seem to be based on surveys of members asking about the brand in general as opposed to the specific model). Everything else seems to be fine, even if the results are generally unsurprising.

As an aside, got a fantastic deal on a washer and dryer out of brandsmart. I believe they are in florida, but ship nationally. Even adding the costs of shipping we paid about 600 bucks less than the price for a local pick up at the home depot for the samsungs we wanted. We'll only get it around the end of may, but the difference in prices means we'll be ok if we use a laundromat a couple of weeks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Which Samsungs did you get?

I bough the flex washer and dryer, but grabbed them from Costco and loaded up a total 7 years of warranty on them. We’ve had them 2 years now, no issues so far thank goodness.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I have a Samsung heat pump dryer and can attest it. It does take longer than a typical vented dryer (usually about 1.5 hours for a pretty full load), but it's absurdly efficient. It costs less to run than my washer in electricity.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Which Samsungs did you get?

I bough the flex washer and dryer, but grabbed them from Costco and loaded up a total 7 years of warranty on them. We’ve had them 2 years now, no issues so far thank goodness.

The compact frontloader one (24 inch, model number ww22 something) with the vented dryer.
I've had a top loader samsung for a while with no issues.
~2k plus tax at home depot, brandsmart with the stacking kit plus the interstate shipping came out at like 1500.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 23, 2020

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Update:
The water dispenser in the fridge is broken, scheduled a maintenance guy to come in to look at it, but shouldn't be a big deal.

Replacing the dishwasher, though, might be, as the current one was framed in and so next install will have to cut into the cabinet frame to take the old one out and put the new one in... Add to that the wall oven with the weird dimensions that has been discontinued and will also require some cutting to fit the new one in and...

Struensee posted:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

joepinetree posted:

Update:
The water dispenser in the fridge is broken, scheduled a maintenance guy to come in to look at it, but shouldn't be a big deal.

Replacing the dishwasher, though, might be, as the current one was framed in and so next install will have to cut into the cabinet frame to take the old one out and put the new one in... Add to that the wall oven with the weird dimensions that has been discontinued and will also require some cutting to fit the new one in and...

My water dispenser was frozen, since it runs though my freezer door. Keeping it open for a day solved it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

StormDrain posted:

My water dispenser was frozen, since it runs though my freezer door. Keeping it open for a day solved it.

Nah, I found the break in the hose:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That looks bad.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
By some miracle the water didn't hit the electrical part, so it's all good on that front. It should be a simple fix, just a matter of replacing the hose.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Why's this sink leaking around the drain underneath Oh probably because they didn't use any putty around the drain.

Well kinda, but I also summize they tried to tighten the poo poo out of it because they didn't have a good seal around the top of the drain and it leaked or knocked it with something like a bit wrench because they wanted it tight and chipped the part the rubber seals to so it just leaks like a fucker...

gently caress. Homeownership blows after living here kinda for a week all the patchwork and neglect is really starting to show.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Can I see a picture of this? I don't think I've ever seen a dishwasher with enough space around the edges to frame in anything without preventing the door from opening. I must see it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

H110Hawk posted:

Can I see a picture of this? I don't think I've ever seen a dishwasher with enough space around the edges to frame in anything without preventing the door from opening. I must see it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Looks like a matched kickplate, not "framed in". I can't tell in the pic, but if there is a break on either side and it was installed right it's on spring clips into the dishwasher. Pull on it - it should come off.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Motronic posted:

Looks like a matched kickplate, not "framed in". I can't tell in the pic, but if there is a break on either side and it was installed right it's on spring clips into the dishwasher. Pull on it - it should come off.

That is probably either a shadow trick or jpeg artifacts in the pic, because it is a continuous solid board that goes under all the cabinets.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

joepinetree posted:

That is probably either a shadow trick or jpeg artifacts in the pic, because it is a continuous solid board that goes under all the cabinets.

Then it wasn't installed properly and you'll have to remove the entire kickplate. That's trim, not framing. At least I hope for your sake I'm right.

I can't imagine a dishwasher with enough side depth past the door or the top to have anything in the way as far as trim or framing on those sides.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Motronic posted:

Then it wasn't installed properly and you'll have to remove the entire kickplate. That's trim, not framing. At least I hope for your sake I'm right.

I can't imagine a dishwasher with enough side depth past the door or the top to have anything in the way as far as trim or framing on those sides.

Probably trim. Though I've lived in the US for the past 2 decades, this is my first time actually having to learn construction terminology.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
What is a good vacuum for like, two rugs? Doesn't have to be handheld but can't take up lots of room.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have a shark cordless stick vac that I use in the regular. It seems to work well. My big canister just sits in the closet now. You can usually find them ~$100 on Groupon as refurbished units.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Motronic posted:

Talked to a handyman, who told me that removing the old dishwasher and installing the new one would be a 6 to 8 hour job. That feels excessive, though I have no real basis for comparison.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

moana posted:

What is a good vacuum for like, two rugs? Doesn't have to be handheld but can't take up lots of room.

Take them out back for a good beating.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Talked to a handyman, who told me that removing the old dishwasher and installing the new one would be a 6 to 8 hour job. That feels excessive, though I have no real basis for comparison.

Oh gently caress no uless he's charging <$10/hr. it should take Joe schmoe 6-8hrs if you include looking at what tools you need buying them removing the old one, seeing you need something else, going to the store then coming back and finishing up.

Here's the steps
1. Cut power a
2. Remove that trim piece or just cut it because it's stupid
3. Unscre the top 2 screws that hold the washer in places.
4. Pull out old one and disconnect wires and the plumbing (shut off the the water too)
5. Do the opposite of 4 on this one. And probably run to the store because the supply for this one is different for whatever stupid reason.
Turn on power and water and make sure there are no leaks.
6. Slide it in hole
7. Level it with the little screw feet
8. Attach 2 screws that hold it in
9. Done.

A pro who does this day in day out should be able to do a dishwasher in like 2hrs.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah dude I did a dishwasher remove/replace including replacing all tubes and fishing those through under cabinets, re-wiring, and leveling and I didn’t know what i was doing and it took me less than 6 hours.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

tater_salad posted:

Oh gently caress no uless he's charging <$10/hr. it should take Joe schmoe 6-8hrs if you include looking at what tools you need buying them removing the old one, seeing you need something else, going to the store then coming back and finishing up.

Here's the steps
1. Cut power a
2. Remove that trim piece or just cut it because it's stupid
3. Unscre the top 2 screws that hold the washer in places.
4. Pull out old one and disconnect wires and the plumbing (shut off the the water too)
5. Do the opposite of 4 on this one. And probably run to the store because the supply for this one is different for whatever stupid reason.
Turn on power and water and make sure there are no leaks.
6. Slide it in hole
7. Level it with the little screw feet
8. Attach 2 screws that hold it in
9. Done.

A pro who does this day in day out should be able to do a dishwasher in like 2hrs.

75 bucks an hour plus 1 hour round trip. Granted, the 6 to 8 hours include going to the store and picking it up, but it is ridiculous.
My plumber quoted me 375.

I am talking to another handyman, but at this point I am almost cutting the trim myself and then just doing the home depot delivey+install (200 bucks)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah just cut the trim and have BB do their install...

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

tater_salad posted:

I have a shark cordless stick vac that I use in the regular. It seems to work well. My big canister just sits in the closet now. You can usually find them ~$100 on Groupon as refurbished units.
Cool, thanks!

totalnewbie posted:

Take them out back for a good beating.
Alas, they are bigger than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

moana posted:

Alas, they are bigger than me.
If you get an upright, which may seem like overkill for the rugs, you’ll also have the hose and attachments so you can vacuum furniture, in corners, your car interior, etc.