Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Am I safe in assuming that as I couldn't smell a bottle of white spirits (which was the nearest solvent I had to hand) through the cheap face mask I just bought that it'll probably be okay for filtering out viruses and other nasties? I'm not talking about going dumpster-diving outside a hospital, just for general government-approved exercise purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
:thermidor: every landlord

quote:

Tenants told to use lunch and holiday savings to pay full rent
London agent for billionaire landlord turns down residents’ request for coronavirus relief

“Subsequently, when all of this is taken into account, in most cases we believe the impact on disposable income will be minimal, and there is therefore no justification for any reduction in rent, especially considering that whilst tenants are isolating the wear and tear in properties is increasing, which will be at the cost of the landlord,” the agent said.

x

Have you considered that you being in our property more is making it worse????

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Am I safe in assuming that as I couldn't smell a bottle of white spirits (which was the nearest solvent I had to hand) through the cheap face mask I just bought that it'll probably be okay for filtering out viruses and other nasties? I'm not talking about going dumpster-diving outside a hospital, just for general government-approved exercise purposes?

Could you smell it without the mask? :ohdear:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Could you smell it without the mask? :ohdear:

Well I wanted to make sure I had a baseline so I soaked a rag in it and inhaled from it as deeply as possible, and could definitely smell it, as well as the 9th dimension and the concept of platonic love.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I see the BBC have a video up about MRAs. :cripes:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you totally are going dumpster diving outside a hospital

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/welshbolshevik/status/1252344334218752004?s=20

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

feedmegin posted:

See I thought that too, but no. Those are cleaners.

This is correct - in "You Rang, M'Lord" Mabel the Char Lady is indeed a cleaner.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

This is correct - in "You Rang, M'Lord" Mabel the Char Lady is indeed a cleaner.

Etymology. A char or chare was a turn (of work) in the sixteenth century, which gave rise to the word being used as a prefix to denote people working in domestic service. The usage of "charwoman" was common in the mid-19th century, often appearing as an occupation in the UK census of 1841.

So different root to char for tea.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably. Facemasks are more to prevent you giving the virus to other people more than stopping contracting it. To be fully protected you'd need an FFP3 mask and goggles at a minimum, as water dropletts from coughs and sneezes will transmit and below FFP3 they're not rated against water dropletts.

Anything is better than nothing however, and please remember that much like gloves, face masks should not be re-used.

Also I've debated posting about this, but I work for a faily large PPE supplier who has a government contract for gowns. There are millions coming. Same for face shields, gloves, masks. The government are rightly being asked questions as to why its taken so long, and I will not be offering my opinion on that for obvious reasons but what I will say is that its on average a 2 week turnaround to get items like gowns from order to delivery at the best of times. If you factor in the manufacturing hub of the world being hobbled, and a worldwide pandemic leading to people literally scalping deliveries when they're on the tarmac at airports it gets very nasty and very loving messy.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Well I wanted to make sure I had a baseline so I soaked a rag in it and inhaled from it as deeply as possible, and could definitely smell it, as well as the 9th dimension and the concept of platonic love.

I tried huffing ether once, it was sort of interesting but the inside of my head smelt of it for a day or so afterwards, so overall it's not something I would particularly recommend

going outside is a great way of confirming I don't have anosmia at the moment, the gorse that's out smells really strongly (of coconut, its amazing) when you walk through it

or does coconut smell of gorse?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

sinky posted:

My parents and I took the opposite approach. During the apocalypse you want someone in your property defending it as their home. They've told their self isolating restaurant worker and NHS person tenants to sack off the rent totally if they need to for the next few months. The only wrinkle is the agents still demanding their management cut lol.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thanks to whoever posted the (to me) utterly novel idea of ordering spices online. Found a spice shop, spent €40, got a whole lot of spices at low low prices (compared to the supermarket jars anyway)

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You'll want to use a Isoamyl acetate, it's what we used every time we went over the hotline.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If he can't get access to a chemical supplier, is huffing a bag of pear drops acceptable?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Bobstar posted:

Thanks to whoever posted the (to me) utterly novel idea of ordering spices online. Found a spice shop, spent €40, got a whole lot of spices at low low prices (compared to the supermarket jars anyway)

you dont want to dabble in that synthetic poo poo, stick to the real stuff

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't assume PIE to be one universal and catholic* language, more evidence that a bunch of people talked to one another at some point. What's interesting is who else they also talked to in order to get the distinctions between, say, leann and lhune, although it seems obvious who Ireland was talking to to get beoir, whether they wanted to or not.

*Unless you believe in the conspiracy that it was wholly created by Benedictine monks in order to suppress the glorious unity of the Basque tongue, in much the same way as they're trying to reduce the proud Scots language to unintelligible shouting with their traffik in tonic wines.

Slight return.
No idea exactly how different in sound leann and lhune actually are. The orthographies of spoken Gaelic, Welsh etc. use what we recognise as "English" letters but the sounds represented can be fairly different. Wiki says this about Manx orthography:

quote:

the orthography is based on early Modern English pronunciation, and to a small extent Welsh, rather than from a pan-Gaelic point of view. The result is an inconsistent and only partially phonemic spelling system, in a similar way as spelling in English. T. F. O'Rahilly expressed the opinion that Gaelic in the Isle of Man was saddled with an inadequate spelling which is neither traditional nor phonetic; if the traditional Gaelic orthography had been preserved, the close kinship that exists between Manx Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic would be obvious to all at first sight.
Which sounds like the worst way of representing a language (see also English).

Also realised what my nagging uncomfortableness with this map is. It's headed "The word for beer in various European languages", with nothing about chronology which suggests that it's showing a simple synchronic snapshot, presumably at a notional present, of words used. What is really needed is a diachronic picture of spread of the terms* (which is of course impossible since we're talking about a prehistoric period). As it stands I'm happy to interpret the map as showing a late/current situation with the two insular strands of Celtic being represented by the Welsh cwrw, and the Scots Gaelic (apparently restricted to the Hebrides and the top of Skye?) and Manx terms as a linguistic Celtic Fringe that hasn't been overwritten by the later (Anglo-Saxon?) beer. Looking closely also reveals that the use of beoir is restricted to a few very small regions on the far west and north of Ireland while the rest of the country uses the standard English beer. Sure that wouldn't be a contentious thing to say now would it?
*Always remembering that we tend to frown on simple diffusionist models from a single ur-source these days. Influences can and do go in all directions.

That Benedictine conspiracy guy is hilarious - so mad and so out of date.
Scots can shout unintelligibly fine without the aid of Bucky (though it definitely helps!). Story I've been told is that the Bucky belt came about due to Victorian mine owners including it as part of the miners wage - it's a tonic, it'll help you work! Mines are all gone but the Bucky habit remains. There is at least one bottle on stage here for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0Bsj3RJHKs

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Guavanaut posted:

If he can't get access to a chemical supplier, is huffing a bag of pear drops acceptable?

Good enough for civilian interactions.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Etymology. A char or chare was a turn (of work) in the sixteenth century, which gave rise to the word being used as a prefix to denote people working in domestic service. The usage of "charwoman" was common in the mid-19th century, often appearing as an occupation in the UK census of 1841.

So different root to char for tea.

OTOH, in the Army at the same time, the char-wallah is definitely the bloke with the tea, a sense that survives in India today...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Anyone else see the startling similarity between Richard Branson's and Tony Blair's eyes?

https://twitter.com/LabGND/status/1252684538871980040?s=20

https://twitter.com/InstituteGC/status/1241269563368656898?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone else see the startling similarity between Richard Branson's and Tony Blair's eyes?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We are now doing everything we can to support the governments and the countries with whom we work – Tony Blair.
That's a short but entirely expected list of governments and countries.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I'd forgotten about the demon eyes!

And talking about weird eyes - how do I look at an ipad (with the camera pointing at me) to get a straight ahead look instead of looking like Ron Mael of Sparks?

Is there a way of making the image smaller? Sorry it's huge!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 21, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/D_Raval/status/1252616890167562246

"Lying", Keir. The word you're looking for is "lying".

I've been reading about what Harmans general agenda was back when she was interim leader, because calling it now I think we can predict Kier from Harman, and it's loving wild that this was only five years ago https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jul/21/labour-disarray-welfare-48-mps-defy-whips seriously read it it's such an interesting time capsule moment.

For context the 2015 welfare bill passing was a historically evil moment in the history of the UK Parliament but it's darkly funny as gently caress that Harman et al thought the Tories big win MUST HAVE BEEN because people suddenly wanted cruel pointless austerity rather than because the Tories promised an EU referendum given what's happened since.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I'd forgotten about the demon eyes!

And talking about weird eyes - how do I look at an ipad (with the camera pointing at me) to get a straight ahead look instead of looking like Ron Mael of Sparks?

Is there a way of making the image smaller? Sorry it's huge!

if you find the camera dot and put it closer to your eye level (so at the top rather than the bottom) it'll be closer to looking straight ahead - holding it further away will make it less obvious too. I'm guessing you're holding it landscape though?

and uh I dunno why the timg isn't working, you can edit the image when you upload it on imgur, and resize it to something more sensible - not in the app though if you're using that

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

sinky posted:

For people not wanting to click through, the tenants got that response for asking for a 20% reduction in rent, jesus christ.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Are you asking us how to point something at yourself?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If all you're doing is going out for a run you probably don't need a mask at all, it's not like you should be getting coughed on whilst out for your run, and it's not like the pollution is bad enough for it to help.

Masks aren't magic.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I was struggling with it the other day actually because the screen is much larger than a phone, so if you're looking at something on the screen (e.g. someone else's face) then it's much more obvious that your eyes aren't pointing at the camera

e: dunno if jaeluni is having the same issue but I literally just remembered how frustrating that was reading your post

XMNN fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 21, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

thespaceinvader posted:

Masks aren't magic.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yes. I didn't explain very well. Not used to this wretched ipad and I have moved the thing around but always look as if I'm staring off to the left or right.

XMNN posted:

I was struggling with it the other day actually because the screen is much larger than a phone, so if you're looking at something on the screen (e.g. someone else's face) then it's much more obvious that your eyes aren't pointing at the camera

e: dunno if jaeluni is having the same issue but I literally just remembered how frustrating that was reading your post

Yes, this is it. My fizzog looking left or right, anywhere but straight ahead. Just looks weird to me (not to say my fizzog isn't weird anyway, but look less weird).

baka kaba posted:

if you find the camera dot and put it closer to your eye level (so at the top rather than the bottom) it'll be closer to looking straight ahead - holding it further away will make it less obvious too. I'm guessing you're holding it landscape though?

and uh I dunno why the timg isn't working, you can edit the image when you upload it on imgur, and resize it to something more sensible - not in the app though if you're using that

Thanks, I'll try this tomorrow.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 21, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not suggesting anything near this extreme, but what you really need is something that lets you look at the person you're talking to's face, while actually staring straight at the camera, and the only way to do that is with some indirect image like that.

I'll set up the Kickstarter.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not suggesting anything near this extreme, but what you really need is something that lets you look at the person you're talking to's face, while actually staring straight at the camera, and the only way to do that is with some indirect image like that.

I'll set up the Kickstarter.

My nephew seems to manage mind you that's normally on a phone maybe it's less obvious than the ipad. I've never had this problem with non-iThings.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52372934

I’ve seen this going around Twitter and now don’t know who to believe. It’s all getting a bit state propagandaish vs paranoid conspiracy theory. I must confess I didn’t see any of these 100 bots claiming to be NHS staff but I could totally see a right wing private money political group trying to astroturf for herd immunity.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's a fact that there were fake accounts set up to pretend to be nurses. It's just whether you accept these were what they were acting as i.e. to support the government, or if it was actually a false-flag conspiracy to make the government look bad by supporting their policies.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the gently caress is a gorse

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

willie_dee posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52372934

I’ve seen this going around Twitter and now don’t know who to believe. It’s all getting a bit state propagandaish vs paranoid conspiracy theory. I must confess I didn’t see any of these 100 bots claiming to be NHS staff but I could totally see a right wing private money political group trying to astroturf for herd immunity.

It's certainly not implausible that a tory government could engage in an astroturfing campaign with a bunch of fake accounts. But despite claims of hundred of the things there only seems to be one account actually being presented as evidence, and that account itself feels more like an attempt to be maximally troll-y rather than a genuine effort to create a fake persona. The person who broke the story made some pretty extraordinary claims, but when actually asked for the evidence they had, said: "Thank you to those who have tagged various media names regarding this story, but I reiterate : This is not ready yet for questions to be asked. Way too data-heavy for non-geeks. We are determined to gold-plate this and present as a fait accompli."

I question why someone who in good faith believes that they need to get their evidence into a presentable state for the public and double and triple check with lawyers that their evidence is unimpeachable would break their story in a twitter thread before reaching that stage.

I also don't particularly like the implication that even if we could see the evidence we'd be too dumb to interpret it correctly, that feels cultish or hoax-like in its character.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

CoolCab posted:

Maybe you call it furze, or whin? It's a shrub that has yellow flowers practically all year round, but especially now.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Reveilled posted:

It's certainly not implausible that a tory government could engage in an astroturfing campaign with a bunch of fake accounts. But despite claims of hundred of the things there only seems to be one account actually being presented as evidence, and that account itself feels more like an attempt to be maximally troll-y rather than a genuine effort to create a fake persona. The person who broke the story made some pretty extraordinary claims, but when actually asked for the evidence they had, said: "Thank you to those who have tagged various media names regarding this story, but I reiterate : This is not ready yet for questions to be asked. Way too data-heavy for non-geeks. We are determined to gold-plate this and present as a fait accompli."

I question why someone who in good faith believes that they need to get their evidence into a presentable state for the public and double and triple check with lawyers that their evidence is unimpeachable would break their story in a twitter thread before reaching that stage.

I also don't particularly like the implication that even if we could see the evidence we'd be too dumb to interpret it correctly, that feels cultish or hoax-like in its character.

I completely agree.

The only thing giving me doubts are that the Tories do have a history of this sort of poo poo with their Fact Checker Twitter account.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

CoolCab posted:

You see, CoolCan, when a goose and horse love each other very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

serious gaylord posted:

Probably. Facemasks are more to prevent you giving the virus to other people more than stopping contracting it.

if there were an outbreak of dogs biting other dogs you could solve it with supplying every dog muzzles but not to protect the wearer from getting bitten