Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I paid 20€ for it and I'm happy, it's not the best game ever but if you liked previous fallouts this is pretty comparable. Enjoying this more than I enjoyed vanilla Fallout 4 actually!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Admiral Joeslop posted:

There's no reason to level past 50 except to feed into the terrible perk system. Should've capped at 50 and also have blueprints account wide, and the ability to trade items to your own characters. I would definitely play more, using alts, if these problems didn't exist.

yeah plans really need to be account wide and stash account wide or something

agreed on the infinite scaling being a problem hopefully one fallout fixes this or something

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

bc it got lost on the last page:

black.lion posted:

I heard this game is sorta bad but my friend bought it for me, how should I build my character to have fun (or rather, not encounter fun-ruining features)?

Normally I do the stealth thing in these games - is going bow+knife from level 1 viable? Should I do stealth rifles instead?

Is melee without the power suit a thing or am I just asking to get crushed all the time?

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

black.lion posted:

I heard this game is sorta bad but my friend bought it for me, how should I build my character to have fun (or rather, not encounter fun-ruining features)?

Normally I do the stealth thing in these games - is going bow+knife from level 1 viable? Should I do stealth rifles instead?

Is melee without the power suit a thing or am I just asking to get crushed all the time?

Melee is very good. Melee in power armor is EZ mode. The hunting rifle is very good. The problem is, for at least the first 25 levels, all you can build your character for is survival. It’s pretty challenging as a survival game until you figure out all the systems and break it, which is even more fun IMO.

Pure stealth is super viable at later levels, melee or ranged.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
Tbh it's pretty hard.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

black.lion posted:

bc it got lost on the last page:

VATS/Critical builds remove some of the tedium

Action Boy/Girl to make your AP come back faster and Concentrated Fire to make shooting easier are godsends

Melee/Pistol to deal with low-level fodder enemies to save ammo for larger guns for larger targets
Shotgun w/ Enforcer perk to easily cripple enemies (aim for the legs; completely devastates ghouls and assaultrons)

You can also plan out a build here: https://nukesdragons.com/fallout76/perks

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

VRViperII posted:

Melee is very good. Melee in power armor is EZ mode.

*sigh* I would so much like to try out proper melee, but there's not enough SPECIAL points to go around and the limited respec possibilities (only after lvl50 and only 1 point at a time, wtf... I guess it's better than no respec at all but come on) stifle me since I'm a pussy and I'm afraid to go face to face with big hulking monsters without a sufficient buffer of armor and HP so I'm building towards being good at ranged already at lvl10 (2 str, 1 end)

maybe I'll make a totally new character for melee later?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If you dump a bunch of strength while leveling to do melee (Which helps you ignore ammo during a time when it is hard to come by) you can easily switch to shotguns and heavy weapons later since their perks are mostly all in strength. Please more strength gives you more carry weight and give you access to a number of perks which help you reduce the weight of many things like ammo and chems.

Also there is really no ranged stat unless you are relying on VATs. The only thing stats give you for ranged are slotting perk cards and for rifles you need 9 in perception, 12 if you want tank killer as well I think?

If you are playing by yourself and also since the new expansion now has people putting some points into Charisma is good (atleast 4) so you can run Lone Wanderer perk and also pass 4+ Char test.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 21, 2020

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

BadLlama posted:

If you dump a bunch of strength while leveling to do melee (Which helps you ignore ammo during a time when it is hard to come by) you can easily switch to shotguns and heavy weapons later since their perks are mostly all in strength. Please more strength gives you more carry weight and give you access to a number of perks which help you reduce the weight of many things like ammo and chems.

Also there is really no ranged stat unless you are relying on VATs. The only thing stats give you for ranged are slotting perk cards and for rifles you need 9 in perception, 12 if you want tank killer as well I think?

Hmm thanks for this, I had no idea shotgun perks were strength related. Now it just gets worse though ... I want perception for VATS and perks, strength for carry weight and perks, agility for stealth and AP, endurance for HP if I go melee and intelligence for repair/modding/crafting (this one maybe less necessary, but I just like it)

is Luck very important? Every guide I see says it's one of the most important things if you use VATS, and I do use it at times, but it seems a "meh" stat, I mean I guess criticals are good but I often forget to even use them, and there's times where I don't even use VATS at all...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 21, 2020

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Are you on pc? You can have access to my account I do not use it

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
What I ended up doing to try different builds was make alts. Since some peeps are interesting in melee, let me chime in to reiterate that unarmed builds are soooo strong.

One main restriction is that you can’t be in power armor. Also to deal with scorchbeasts you need to put some points into shotgun perks. Even just the rank 1 of the shotgunner perks gets 30% damage boost, but the cripples from the enforcer perk are the biggest thing. Load tons of points into strength and agility anyway and you’ll have ample room to include the shotgun perks.

Before I forget, for newish players be careful of the endurance trap. Despite this being marketed as a survival game, endurance is one of the least useful lines for most builds. Some folks like radicool and ghoulish perks for niche builds, but for most of your general purpose builds you still don’t want many points for endurance. Imo fireproof is handy though as it lets you eat scorchbeast sonic attacks with minimal damage.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I played for a few hours last night. Adding the NPCs even in the early part of the game makes it better.

I'm a little bummed they changed my IRL high school mascot though :(

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

TorakFade posted:

Hmm thanks for this, I had no idea shotgun perks were strength related. Now it just gets worse though ... I want perception for VATS and perks, strength for carry weight and perks, agility for stealth and AP, endurance for HP if I go melee and intelligence for repair/modding/crafting (this one maybe less necessary, but I just like it)

is Luck very important? Every guide I see says it's one of the most important things if you use VATS, and I do use it at times, but it seems a "meh" stat, I mean I guess criticals are good but I often forget to even use them, and there's times where I don't even use VATS at all...

The only Endurance perk that's worth a poo poo is Fireproof and the HP you get per point of Endurance are a complete joke. If you go VATS yeah, you're gonna need a fair bit of Luck, For most builds you want at least three points there anyway for maxed Bloody Mess. Five point of Int are nice to have too for Gunsmith.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I run 1 point in endurance so I can run good doggy and just eat canned dog food all day, and then 3 more points for vaccinated because I hate getting diseases constantly.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

thanks for the build tips :) so putting up to 3-4 points in any stat is never a waste, except for END apparently (lol) due to having nice perks or being useful for derived stats

btw it's pretty jarring that if you follow the "old" main quest you're supposed to chase this drat overseer on her paper trail and it seems it will be some kind of end-game thing but you literally find her at her house in what is basically a newbie-zone you get sent to early on, and then you have to be level 20 to work with her? While I still have to follow her "paper trail" ? :confused:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Almost like they just slapped some more poo poo on it without any care or forethought.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
If anyone is getting annoyed by diseases and don’t have (or ran out of) disease cures, there is a water fountain that will cure any and all disease. Nothing in the game points you to it afaik so it’s easy to miss. At the Whitesprings, just NW of the building icon on the map look for a little gazebo. Water fountain there heals all diseases.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

If anyone is getting annoyed by diseases and don’t have (or ran out of) disease cures, there is a water fountain that will cure any and all disease. Nothing in the game points you to it afaik so it’s easy to miss. At the Whitesprings, just NW of the building icon on the map look for a little gazebo. Water fountain there heals all diseases.

I never knew about this one. However I remember one of the scout badges has you craft disease cure from plants in any given area, and the forest one was very simple. Something like Firecap, something you find in rivers, a crop, and boiled water. You just find some fire caps, then walk along a river getting the other thing, and water, and you can make like 10 in one go.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

IUG posted:

I never knew about this one. However I remember one of the scout badges has you craft disease cure from plants in any given area, and the forest one was very simple. Something like Firecap, something you find in rivers, a crop, and boiled water. You just find some fire caps, then walk along a river getting the other thing, and water, and you can make like 10 in one go.

Yeah, that one (forest recipe) is usually pretty easy to farm plants for.

In case anyone needs recipes:
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Disease_cure

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Of course the Communist themed content is premium microtransactions

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The commie power armor looks pretty sweet tbh

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

The commie power armor looks pretty sweet tbh
the description says it works on all PA and is "fully voiced"

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

China did not have power armor, this is ruining my immersion

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the NCR Veteran Rangers never operated in West Virginia 100+ years before the NCR existed. Forget the canon of 76.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Also super mutants

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

BadLlama posted:

Also super mutants
they have a kinda neato story about why they are around in fo76

west-tek was running FEV trials on the local population, both for the military and for the shadow government peeps, and they created both super mutants and all the cryptids around Appalachia before the bombs fell

the ncr armor is just lol tho

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm still not a fan of the idea that giant green orc men was the prewar goal of the FEV. I like the idea that it was the result of the freak accident that created The Master who realized the FEV's potential and spent decades perfecting it to suit his deranged purpose.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I managed to justify a Talon Company armor set in a FNV mod I made which people seemed to like so NCR doesn't bother me

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39441/

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope
As a bored 7days addict, discovering this game was a mistake. It's everything I wanted 7days to be minus vehicles and zombies. After a weird run in on the public server, I decided to pay for a the private server for a month to get know the game myself. I made a two tile into a 9 tile "treehouse" or suspended house. I'm looking to expand this from a 3x3 into a 4x4 in the higher floors. Pretty sure this is structurally sound.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Arcsquad12 posted:

And the NCR Veteran Rangers never operated in West Virginia 100+ years before the NCR existed. Forget the canon of 76.

Fallout lore has been dead since fallout 3, get over it.

Its skyrim with guns. So just enjoy shooting orcs.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's actually the armor of the North Carolina Rangers and the NCR bought a bunch of them or something, lore inconsistency resolved

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Roman posted:

the description says it works on all PA and is "fully voiced"

I demand Communist Liberty Prime NPC companion

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Roman posted:

It's actually the armor of the North Carolina Rangers and the NCR bought a bunch of them or something, lore inconsistency resolved

That's dumb enough to be a Bethesda answer so I assume it's true.

The actual veteran rangers got their black armour from prewar riot gear armories as shown in Lonesome Road.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm still not a fan of the idea that giant green orc men was the prewar goal of the FEV. I like the idea that it was the result of the freak accident that created The Master who realized the FEV's potential and spent decades perfecting it to suit his deranged purpose.
Honestly supermutants being in the game is the thing that bugs me the most. They somehow decided they just had to put them in, yet somehow they decided not having NPCs was totally a workable plan? I absolutely love supermutants and wish you could play as one (or a ghoul, obviously) but like...c'mon. Nobody was going to not buy Fallout 76 because it did not have supermutants. I think.

I did actually enjoy Fallout 76 before, but imagining this same game at release with NPCs and without supermutants is now making me loudly chant a lament into the winds

CheeseSpawn posted:

As a bored 7days addict, discovering this game was a mistake. It's everything I wanted 7days to be minus vehicles and zombies.
You know, that is a great point. I enjoyed 7 Days to Die a fair amount, but never made the connection between the two. Plus I mean ghouls are zombie stand-ins anyway

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Super mutants shouldn't have been in fo3 or fo4 also. Also rad scorpions.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

I demand Communist Liberty Prime NPC companion

"Communist Liberty Prime" was the idea I made this username. I've only heard the PA play a little bit of the Chinese national anthem when you get in. The communist collectron is great though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It is strangely liberating to not be able to mod this game at all

It's like I can just... play it

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

the ranger armor in 76 is just riot gear from the Charleston Police Department

its branded with CPD on the chestplate

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Bethesda has finally given in to the demands of the hardcore crowd. NPCs can now loot dead players. Lmao this loving buggy game.
https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1252718805182267400?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Finally got the suppressor for the lever action rifle and now I can't decide between melee or ranged again. I'm spread kinda thin on my perks across the board and without unyielding I couldn't be both right now.

Unyielding is def gonna get a nerf at one point.