Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i don't mean we want to constantly haggle over every little loving detail but the avenue for reasonable compromise on any meaningful social issue has to exist especially at a class level or things start getting hosed and if they get too hosed everything breaks down

or at least even the appearance of that option existing, gently caress they are going to fail to manufacture consent the way poo poo is headed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Trabisnikof posted:

lol idk if they’re actually even going to try and stave off collapse

good point they have already fortified their wine caves in the age of corona and are well prepared for what comes next

im p sure the real joke is surviving to the end is the only losing move now, like that b movie gehenna: where death lives

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

what i'm saying is get nutty with it, who would you rather be the person who gets instantly flashed on the nukes impact or the one who survives the blast only to slowfully and painfully wither from cancer

maybe getting raptured is a metaphor for a good clean dignified end

maybe our nature is so deeply flawed those in power fooled themselves into thinking they can bargain their way out of the earth dying

Percelus has issued a correction as of 16:53 on Apr 21, 2020

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

anyway,

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

with all that said in the back of my mind im thinking maybe learn ruby and javascript, get a place to work from home with a commander style special big boy chair for my desk only i can sit on and a rad leather couch for guests

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mantis42 posted:

How do modern rpgs resolve this?
Well, a good point of comparison with Call of Cthulhu is Trail of Cthulhu, which was written by good designers and CoC superfans who wanted to fix common problems in CoC.

In ToC, your skills are divided between investigative skills and action skills, so no one is left out of big chunks of the game. The skill list is also a lot shorter, so you don't wind up with players who have Archaeology and Ancient Greek, when they actually needed the Natural History and Spanish skills for this adventure. And for investigation, you spend points instead of rolling dice, so the adventure doesn't hit a dead end because someone failed a Library Use roll.

Often Abbreviated posted:

I think I get what he means but talking about it in terms of fascism is tough because fascism itself is kind of wooly and aesthetic. I think he means more a by-the-numbers military corporate junta is the last thing to save the US from Trumpism, or whatever the follow-up to Trumpism is. Boring authoritarians in suits and military uniforms saving the urban elite from white nationalist death cult loons who want to detonate the nukes to bring back Jesus. Both are authoritarian nightmares, the second more closely resembles the death cult, swivel-eyed lunacy of nazism.
Matt disregards wooly aesthetic definitions of fascism in favour of the real definition, which is "the application of imperialism to the metropole." He touched on the argument that modern liberal democracy is all fascist, because the military and "military Keynesianism" is the backbone of it all. But he doesn't care for it because, y'know, if everything is fascist then nothing is, and you become one of those Twitter tankies screaming about the fascist DSA.

Anyway, he doesn't see a military coup as saving us from fascism, but the fulfillment of fascism. A more sustainable kind of fascism than MAGA chud death cult lunacy, and accounts for the fact that the military is a lot less white than it is in MAGA chuds' favourite novels.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it's the last place americans would think to look

why do you think these langoliers won't let me rest at night

you read one leather-bound book misplaced next to the encyclopedias and next there's metallic shrieking and loud grinding at all hours of the night

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

one thing matt is right about is the real possibility of ubi implementation because of corona, it is a stabilizing option that plugs enough holes to keep this leaky boat afloat for another day

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MizPiz posted:

Tabletop games are the best way to let out things you want to do in the game

We have a player who grew up in Ireland; last night as everyone was trying to figure out how to speeder bomb an Imperial barracks as a distraction he said it was taking him back to his childhood

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Percelus posted:

one thing matt is right about is the real possibility of ubi implementation because of corona, it is a stabilizing option that plugs enough holes to keep this leaky boat afloat for another day

if you live in a poor enough area that's basically existed for decades via ssi/ssdi

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Percelus posted:

But it's a real question now whether or not the rich even care about keeping boat afloat

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

there is already substantial rioting from corona and this poo poo is just starting, but i don't think there will be society breaking civil unrest until food banks and homeless shelters and all the other last bits of the safety net cease to function completely and this is a real possibility sometime this year or next but i mean no one really knows im just throwing one possible timeline out there

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
a few dozen sheetrock supply and boat dealership owners getting bused in by ALEC or whoever to traipse around their empty state capitols with prefab signs demanding sit-down service at tgi fridays isn't a riot

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Percelus posted:

there is already substantial rioting from corona and this poo poo is just starting

A few chuds waving signs doesnt really count as civil unrest imo. When tear gas starts getting launched, then we can call it a riot.

quote:

but i don't think there will be society breaking civil unrest until food banks and homeless shelters and all the other last bits of the safety net cease to function completely and this is a real possibility sometime this year or next but i mean no one really knows im just throwing one possible timeline out there

I agree with this though. Something is going to give but I have no idea when or how, or what form itll take.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

ya i guess it has mostly been prison riots up till now, idk if prisons count for much

they are trying to get people out of rikers now to avoid that powderkeg from going off

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

france has more serious rioting but social tension has been worse there for longer, it'll probably take awhile for things here to reach that level

even if the yellow jacket thing was all over the place they were clearly on edge with austerity before this poo poo

we already have models of neoliberal austerity rotting a society like greece to examine but the us isn't going to be raked over the coals by the eu like them so we could avoid that poo poo if idiots weren't in charge

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

trillbillies "for fucks sake do even the tiniest bit of research before you pop off on news items" challenge

Tom's reading Capital!! I'm just asking for a few articles

e:

Percelus posted:

https://stavbot.github.io/

regular sounds- no gently caress no

fair enough

slicing up eyeballs has issued a correction as of 20:50 on Apr 21, 2020

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

slicing up eyeballs posted:

trillbillies "for fucks sake do even the tiniest bit of research before you pop off on news items" challenge

https://stavbot.github.io/

regular sounds- no gently caress no

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

tarance and tom don't know poo poo about the atari-playing ai and if i tell them that enough on twitter they will surely invite me on the show as an expert

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Doc Hawkins posted:

tarance and tom don't know poo poo about the atari-playing ai and if i tell them that enough on twitter they will surely invite me on the show as an expert

I just got to this part in the episode and i wouldn't change a thing about it lmao

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
i just started listening to War Nerd from episode one. why is the War Nerd guy travelling all over Europe/Eastern Europe in the first few episodes?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
he's traveling pretty much constantly, and getting denied visas constantly

maybe he's doing it for work or someone else's work, maybe he's just a persona non grata so he's gotta keep moving around :shrug:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm willing to provide weapons grade gender studies takes for any anti-american podcast

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Starting War Nerd from the first episode is extremely masochistic. Consider skipping to the episode where they hire a real producer and studio for Mark to record his half in.

John Dolan keeps travelling because he is the earthly incarnation of some sort of god of pestilence and disease. This is proven by COVID-19 happening pretty much at the same time his own career achieved a sort of stability for the first time in decades.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Atrocious Joe posted:

Starting War Nerd from the first episode is extremely masochistic. Consider skipping to the episode where they hire a real producer and studio for Mark to record his half in.

John Dolan keeps travelling because he is the earthly incarnation of some sort of god of pestilence and disease. This is proven by COVID-19 happening pretty much at the same time his own career achieved a sort of stability for the first time in decades.

Yeah it is very off the rails so far but I was interested to hear it during the time of ISIS and the Syrian Civil War.

It sounds like he taught English all over so I thought it was something around that.

coathat
May 21, 2007

err posted:

i just started listening to War Nerd from episode one. why is the War Nerd guy travelling all over Europe/Eastern Europe in the first few episodes?

He was run out of East Timur by the Australian government and so he googled cheapest places to live and went to Macedonia.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

the abyss yawns and Mario learns how to finally vault the second pipe, only to be slain by a Koopa Trooper thereafter

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
he's been run out of lots of places

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Off the top of my head

Places Dolan has been run out of:
East Timor
Kuwait
Saudi Arabia
Iraqi Kurdistan (kicked out of US run university, questionable if the Kurdish authorities care)
Macedonia (he may have just imagined being hated by villagers there honestly)

Places Dolan may be banned from:
Canada - Visa stuff
India - may have pissed off Modi's minions

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Apr 21, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lancemantis posted:

he's been run out of lots of places

India didn't even let him in

Probably a lucky thing actually, although it would've been funny to hear him record an episode while starving inside a cave in India

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52364601

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

dolan got so much hate for telling the truth about syria years before biederman made it cool. now his take is just common sense instead of epic assadist war crimes denial. life is funny like that.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I don't know if John Dolan got run out of Russia, but Mark Ames certainly was!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
he does or did teach English but it turns out writing War Nerd columns and teaching English in authoritarian countries do not work well together.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

nikosoft posted:

I don't know if John Dolan got run out of Russia, but Mark Ames certainly was!

I think everyone working for the eXile did to some extent in the vague sort of pay Putin and friends threaten your existence (except Yasha, but he is Russian so that helps)

uber_stoat posted:

he does or did teach English but it turns out writing War Nerd columns and teaching English in authoritarian countries do not work well together.

yeah keep in mind he taught english in Saudi Arabia, given that his contempt for that country almost matches that of his loathing of the British Empire and Canada.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

Off the top of my head

Places Dolan has been run out of:
East Timor
Kuwait
Saudi Arabia
Iraqi Kurdistan (kicked out of US run university, questionable if the Kurdish authorities care)
Macedonia (he may have just imagined being hated by villagers there honestly)

Places Dolan may be banned from:
Canada - Visa stuff
India - may have pissed off Modi's minions

there is a place that he hasn't been to quite yet

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

hot take - do androids dream of electric sheep is far superior to bladerunner, it's all style no substance with the cut parts like mercerism from the novel that give it subtext and depth

also death stranding is basically the empathy box, gj kojima

ridley scott is that gundam nerd missing the message meme

Percelus has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Apr 22, 2020

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

wills completely unacknowledged bit where he does reddit style compound swears ftw

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Percelus posted:

hot take - do androids dream of electric sheep is far superior to bladerunner, it's all style no substance with the cut parts like mercerism from the novel that give it subtext and depth

also death stranding is basically the empathy box, gj kojima

ridley scott is that gundam nerd missing the message meme

shut the gently caress up baby yoda

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ridleys a dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ridley Scott’s a set designer and the only time he lucked into a good script bullied out of that weird old pervert dan obannon he tried to gently caress that up too