Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I also love Saitama's ceiling-catching pose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ryaomon posted:

Some beautiful art this chapter but we all know which panel Murata really spent the most time on.

I'm glad

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Ryaomon posted:

Some beautiful art this chapter but we all know which panel Murata really spent the most time on.

Yeah, I see it too; every hair in Bang's mustache perfectly placed.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, I see it too; every hair in Bang's mustache perfectly placed.

I think that user was talking about the hand anatomy, and the perfect shading on the debris falling from the sky.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Man King is awesome. Constantly protecting the kid in every scene even if it is just using his body as a human shield. King is right up there with Mumen rider.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Bomb has this "Are you sure this will hold?" look but Bang knows Tatsumaki's power and trusts that when Fubuki says that Tastumaki will make sure no harm comes to her, he knows that the bubble will hold and stands resolute.

Fellis posted:

What are some good (not caricature) representations of black people in japanese media? I can only think of Dutch from Black Lagoon

Kinda derailing, I don’t mind taking it to another thread or something.
Chiming in late, but Fee Carmichael from Planetes was the squad leader and in the manga it's clear she's African American. Starting at chapter 22 it goes into her past growing up in an America that is still racist in the 2040s.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/1243532032556199936?s=19

https://twitter.com/NEBU_KURO/status/1243541416787218434?s=19

I suppose it's no surprise, but Murata's 10 year old daughter is real good at drawing.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ahh drat, definitely better than me that's for sure.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
yeah but has she designed a robot master yet

Also thanks for all the replies to

Fellis posted:

What are some good (not caricature) representations of black people in japanese media?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Sony Developing Film Based on ‘One Punch Man’ Manga Series With ‘Venom’ Writers (EXCLUSIVE)

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/sony-film-manga-one-punch-man-venom-writers-1234585282/

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Wow. They better cast Karl Pilkington as Saitama.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I hope it's as good as dragon ball evolution

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Watch them cut out vaccine man

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Due to whitewashing, Saitama will be renamed Simon Thomas, and will played by Zach Braff.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

graham cracker posted:

Due to whitewashing, Saitama will be renamed Simon Thomas, and will played by Zach Braff.

Not bald enough.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not bald enough.

Howie Mandel then.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

graham cracker posted:

Howie Mandel then.

That I would watch.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Finally, we have a manga with fight scenes that can be replicated in live action.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well, huh

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I feel like the manga could easily be adapted into a movie in terms of what actually happens on screen. For example doing a movie that spans the start of the series up to the Boros arc. But unless you are explicitly planning on a franchise, I don't see how you can have a satisfying movie since the end of Saitama's character arc won't be resolved for many years.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Bucswabe posted:

I feel like the manga could easily be adapted into a movie in terms of what actually happens on screen. For example doing a movie that spans the start of the series up to the Boros arc. But unless you are explicitly planning on a franchise, I don't see how you can have a satisfying movie since the end of Saitama's character arc won't be resolved for many years.

I think even going from the beginning to the House of Evolution arc alone would be extremely ambitious.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You start in media res and wrap up the the vaccine man/2 brothers equivalent quickly, a quick 15 minute origin cleverly cut inbetween him going shopping,
IMO the 2 brothers are funnier and set up the core conceit, the tone and the world much better.

For brevitys sake since this is Movie land, you mix the house of evolution and Boros together, make it so Boros has been commissioning genetically modified earth creatures to give him the best fight or something, and he descends when saitama kills off Asura. Saitama will already find Genos coming to eliminate them and after being standoffish to saitama and struggling through the facility and getting wrecked by Asura, he gets disciple'd after the one punch.

I do t really have a good idea for sea king since thatd require a slower pace of movie. Theres a surprising amount to cover, and theres no banking on a sequel so theyd need to get to the good stuff.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Deep Sea King might work for the climax. You do need Genos, Sonic and Mumen Rider introduced at that point though. It'll be stuffed to the brim for sure.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
Yeah, I think all the monsters / meteors that Saitama killed before deep sea king could be hammered out quickly as a Saitama/Genos intro or a "now we're heroes" montage.

House of Evolution could be cut since it doesn't add a ton to the streamlined story of a movie (you could do the reveal of how Saitama became strong at any point).

Speed Of Sound Sonic can probably be cut. But put a lot of focus on joining the Hero Association, and doing some world building there. Show some of the darker undertones of some of the heroes.

And yeah, cutting off at Deep Sea King probably makes sense so that you don't have to introduce any of the other S Class, really. The ending won't do a lot to resolve the story line of Saitama's boredom, but that arc is a really good "this is what it means to be a true hero" story. And could work very well for a movie.

If there is a sequel, you could pretty much do the entire thing on Boros.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately, whatever makes the most sense is definitely what they are not going to do.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Bucswabe posted:

Yeah, I think all the monsters / meteors that Saitama killed before deep sea king could be hammered out quickly as a Saitama/Genos intro or a "now we're heroes" montage.

House of Evolution could be cut since it doesn't add a ton to the streamlined story of a movie (you could do the reveal of how Saitama became strong at any point).

Speed Of Sound Sonic can probably be cut. But put a lot of focus on joining the Hero Association, and doing some world building there. Show some of the darker undertones of some of the heroes.

And yeah, cutting off at Deep Sea King probably makes sense so that you don't have to introduce any of the other S Class, really. The ending won't do a lot to resolve the story line of Saitama's boredom, but that arc is a really good "this is what it means to be a true hero" story. And could work very well for a movie.

If there is a sequel, you could pretty much do the entire thing on Boros.

Yeah, this all seems sensible. Doing Boros for a first movie would involve either introducing too many characters in one film or cutting out a lot of characters and pissing off a lot of fans.

I haven't watched any live action anime adaptations though because from what I've heard they've all been pretty crap

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Who would you want to play Fubuki?

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Murata's wife.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Mraagvpeine posted:

Who would you want to play Fubuki?

Scarlet Johansson

edit: The Rock can be Sea King and Michael Cera can 1 punch him (or be mumen rider)

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

A Single Sphink posted:

Murata's wife.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Unfinish3d posted:

I haven't watched any live action anime adaptations though because from what I've heard they've all been pretty crap

The Rurouni Kenshin's were pretty decent. They followed the story as best they could and adapted the weird Anime BS the show had in a way that made it interesting to watch. It helped that the original story was pretty mundane in terms of special effects/supernatural stuff so they could forgo CG on things.
Unfortunately One Punch Man has too much special stuff to be adapted the same way, so it's probably going to turn out like a superhero movie.

My concern is that they'll miss the comedy aspect entirely.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

Is it wrong for me to want Sam Raimi to direct this?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

graham cracker posted:

Is it wrong for me to want Sam Raimi to direct this?

Nah, they're gonna need two directors anyway. Hell, let's make it three. Taika Waititi , Sam Reimi and Kevin Smith.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Rurouni Kenshin's were pretty decent. They followed the story as best they could and adapted the weird Anime BS the show had in a way that made it interesting to watch. It helped that the original story was pretty mundane in terms of special effects/supernatural stuff so they could forgo CG on things.
Unfortunately One Punch Man has too much special stuff to be adapted the same way, so it's probably going to turn out like a superhero movie.

Never knew there were live action Kenshins. The Samurai X OVAs have been my favorite anime thing for a long time now

I am also worried they will go super serious and not realize that OPM is a comedy at heart

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

RareAcumen posted:

Nah, they're gonna need two directors anyway. Hell, let's make it three. Taika Waititi , Sam Reimi and Kevin Smith.

I used to like Kevin Smith when I was younger but Clerks 2 killed it for me, is he good or bad or jorts or what.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

They need to get a very depressed European director to really nail down the ennui.

En Punch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kno3xDw27bY

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh poo poo wait are we getting a ONE One Punch Man or Murata One Punch Man live action movie?

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 22, 2020

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Oh poo poo wait are we getting a ONE One Punch Man or Murata One Punch Man love action movie?

We are getting a movie based on an anime based on a manga based on a webcomic. Hopefully they can base an arcade game off of that too.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"True."

oh jay posted:

We are getting a movie based on an anime based on a manga based on a webcomic. Hopefully they can base an arcade game off of that too.

I hate to be the one who breaks this to you but... https://store.steampowered.com/app/991560/ONE_PUNCH_MAN_A_HERO_NOBODY_KNOWS/

Edit: Before responding seriously, this is a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oh jay posted:

We're actually getting a movie based on the aggressively mediocre arena fighter based on the anime based on the manga based on the webcomic.

They're planning to promote it with a webcomic adaptation.