Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess I don't understand the logic of loving 99% of something and then hating the last 1% of it so much it makes you retroactively think the 99% was worthless :shrug:

Just treat it like cheese and cut the bad bit off

Edit: this is not commenting on Beefstew's post which showed up while I was typing

Game of thrones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Qrr posted:

The most annoying case of railroading for me was the first time you go to the church, there's a materia you see but it's blocked off by whispers. Then after you leave the church (and Shinra also explicitly leaves the chuch), it doesn't let you go back and grab it - you need to go all the way to unlocking sidequests or something before you can go there.

Then it turned out to be a duplicate materia anyway.

In retrospect that's fair. There's also a sort of... I hesitate to use the word "meta" example but for people -- ugh this is gonna sound, like, self-aggrandizing. Please nobody read it this way. But for people who were able to clear the game quickly and queue up straight into a second playthrough, there was a lot of missing information (edit: like, online, I mean) at the time, and some of that information was about pretty critical stuff. I assumed that if I played through Chapter 9 again I could get another copy of Magnify, and in the early chapters on Hard you actually do get duplicates of stuff like Deadly Dodge and HP Up in Chapter 2's city streets for example.

Not Magnify, though. That poo poo is just completely missing. There is nothing in its place. Getting to that point only to find out that wahey, NOPE was kinda annoying. The only other time I felt that way? The exact thing you said. I finally was able to run back into the church to check out what I assumed could be a completely new Command materia - maybe it's Deathblow! Maybe it's Double Cut! Maybe it's Morph!... aw poo poo it's just Chakra again, huh.

Harrow posted:

My #2 wish for part 2 (after super alien Jenova) is more Rufus than was in the original game. He's just so cold and charismatic and I want more scenes of him and Cloud together.
More Jenova means more J-E-N-O-V-A. And I'm already on record for how I feel about Rufus. Wholesale agree.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 21, 2020

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Game of thrones

Not applicable. The writing was on the wall for Game of Thrones well before it ended.

Harrow posted:

My #2 wish for part 2 (after super alien Jenova) is more Rufus than was in the original game. He's just so cold and charismatic and I want more scenes of him and Cloud kissing.

ftfy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Game of thrones

loving 30% of it, at best

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Arrrthritis posted:

Not applicable. The writing was on the wall for Game of Thrones well before it ended.

I have to concur here. Adding in rape where there was none previously is not a winner in my book.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Man I am really trying to get into this series with Tim Rogers and I just... hate his voice. He sounds like someone doing an impression of the archetypal movie trailers voice. I have no justifiable reason for disliking this guy but I just do. I didn't like his interview with Suda51, I hated his video review of DMC5 - I just really wanna get through this series because it's interesting.

e:
Like he sounds like a lovely version of Robin Atkin Downes doing Travis Touchdown.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

Man I am really trying to get into this series with Tim Rogers and I just... hate his voice. He sounds like someone doing an impression of the archetypal movie trailers voice. I have no justifiable reason for disliking this guy but I just do. I didn't like his interview with Suda51, I hated his video review of DMC5 - I just really wanna get through this series because it's interesting.

e:
Like he sounds like a lovely version of Robin Atkin Downes doing Travis Touchdown.

Don't force yourself if you're having a visceral reaction. Some people just have voices that'll set your nerves on edge and it's not worth torturing yourself over it. Plenty of other let's plays to choose form.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gonna say that I'm glad they cut the part out where Hojo wanted to interbreed Red XIII and Aerith

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

My #2 wish for part 2 (after super alien Jenova) is more Rufus than was in the original game. He's just so cold and charismatic and I want more scenes of him and Cloud together.

I wonder if the fact that he could see the Whispers too is supposed to mean anything.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Gonna say that I'm glad they cut the part out where Hojo wanted to interbreed Red XIII and Aerith

I did like the part where Hojo brought up the idea of breeding Aerith and all the other Shira execs(who are all complete monsters) just kind of looked around uncomfortably. I feel like this isn't the first time Hojo brought up this idea.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean he's still... like he's arguably more upfront about just straight up breeding Aerith like livestock than in the original. It serves to make Hojo immediately somehow more loathsome, which is no small feat. The fact that he isn't explicitly trying to get Aerith to gently caress a labratdog is like... I mean I'm glad that isn't there? But get hosed Hojo.

Flopsy posted:

Don't force yourself if you're having a visceral reaction. Some people just have voices that'll set your nerves on edge and it's not worth torturing yourself over it. Plenty of other let's plays to choose form.

Yeeeeeah... yeah.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Never thought I'd be so relieved they toned down Hojo's disgustingness from besitality to merely suggesting she be systematically raped by SOLDIERS so they'd have back ups in the case they accidentally kill her.

edit: In case the sarcasm isn't coming across I'd just like to add he's the most revolting character to ever grace a video game. Easily.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 21, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if the fact that he could see the Whispers too is supposed to mean anything.

I imagine so. It's kind of interesting who can and can't see the Whispers, especially because Cloud couldn't see them until he made physical contact with Aerith, but the others didn't have that prerequisite, and then there's Rufus.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Flopsy posted:

Never thought I'd be so relieved they toned down Hojo's disgustingness from besitality to merely suggesting she be systematically raped by SOLDIERS so they'd have back ups in the case they accidentally kill her.

edit: In case the sarcasm isn't coming across I'd just like to add he's the most revolting character to ever grace a video game. Easily.

Yeah to clarify, I'm glad they rewrote it from "cartoonish nonsense" to "something that Mengele probably did"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhonne posted:

pretty sure that was just because he was about to gently caress up the canon by spilling the beans early about cloud's origins, so they manifested to him directly and carted him out of there

they definitely nailed hojo's design, stubbly motherfucker's got a mouth like a fleshy toad

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 21, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

pretty sure that was just because he was about to gently caress up the canon by spilling the beans early about cloud's origins, so they manifested to him directly and carted him out of their

they definitely nailed hojo's design, stubbly motherfucker's got a mouth like a fleshy toad

You can literally smell him the minute he appears on screen and at least 85% of it is some kind of oil

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

pretty sure that was just because he was about to gently caress up the canon by spilling the beans early about cloud's origins, so they manifested to him directly and carted him out of their

I was talking about Rufus.

Also I can't wait to see Hojo chilling on the beach.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rhonne posted:

I was talking about Rufus.

Also I can't wait to see Hojo chilling on the beach.

I'm dead serious the man looks like he has some sort of major hygiene issues so I got no clue how they're going to pull off women willingly hanging out with him. "Oh yeah baby I love how you smell like human misery and piss!"

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah to clarify, I'm glad they rewrote it from "cartoonish nonsense" to "something that Mengele probably did"

God drat. That's exactly what he is. Shinra's Mengele: doing "science" of extremely dubious nature to indulge in his sadism.

And hats off to the writers and voice actor. As others have said, he is, by leaps and bounds, the most loathsome, purely evil character I've ever encountered in a game.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Flopsy posted:

You can literally smell him the minute he appears on screen and at least 85% of it is some kind of oil

there's nothing more attractive than a man who smells like formaldehyde and ball sweat and leaves a faint trail of grease wherever he walks
-lucrecia, probably

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Flopsy posted:

I'm dead serious the man looks like he has some sort of major hygiene issues so I got no clue how they're going to pull off women willingly hanging out with him. "Oh yeah baby I love how you smell like human misery and piss!"

100% Hojo looks like he smells like piss and vinegar

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

there's nothing more attractive than a man who smells like formaldehyde and ball sweat and leaves a faint trail of grease wherever he walks
-lucrecia, probably

LMAOOOOOO OH my God I'm cry laughing right now because it's so loving true. gently caress man she is the worst.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

"Showers just get in the way of science!" -Hojo, probably.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

He's likely got the smelly meth sweats as well, because sleep is for losers.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

To be fair to Sephiroth realizing that dude is in fact your father would probably send anybody over the edge. The unspeakable truth the world just isn't ready for: Hojo fucks.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I honestly hope that for the sake of tonal consistency that they omit Hojo from the beach. I get it, ha ha, and the meme potential is off the charts, but the OG FF7's second-largest sin in my view is trying to get you to sympathize with (or find comedy in) its villains even when that is wildly, grotesquely inappropriate. Hojo is kill on sight. He is, as Flopsy put it, one of "... the most revolting character[s] to ever grace a video game." He tries to murder your party multiple times, considered/attempted to rape-breed Aerith, has committed God-only-knows how many crimes against humanity that we don't even see, and we eventually discover that he is basically directly responsible for all of the most odious tragedies in the FF7 narrative. He impregnates Lucretia then experiments on their unborn baby, who eventually becomes Sephiroth, and then when Vincent objects to this goddamn travesty Hojo guns him down and conducts crazy-rear end science on his corpse. When Hojo's colleague Gast grows a conscience and tries to flee Shinra with Ifalna and Aerith, the last surviving Cetra on the Planet, Hojo murders Gast and kidnaps Ifalna and Aerith. Ifalna eventually loving dies as a result of trying to escape him.

Like, he is the worst possible human. People in the thread were annoyed with how the Turks got let off the hook, and at least Hojo loving dies, but that scene in Costa del Sol with him sucks.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Absolutely cannot wait for the Hojo beach scene

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Flopsy posted:

To be fair to Sephiroth realizing that dude is in fact your father would probably send anybody over the edge. The unspeakable truth the world just isn't ready for: Hojo fucks.

I don't there's any doubt whether Hojo mixed his DNA with Jenova in a test tube or went with a more holistic approach when trying to create Sephiroth before doping a fetus with Jenova DNA.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

I honestly hope that for the sake of tonal consistency that they omit Hojo from the beach. I get it, ha ha, and the meme potential is off the charts, but the OG FF7's second-largest sin in my view is trying to get you to sympathize with (or find comedy in) its villains even when that is wildly, grotesquely inappropriate. Hojo is kill on sight. He is, as Flopsy put it, one of "... the most revolting character[s] to ever grace a video game." He tries to murder your party multiple times, considered/attempted to rape-breed Aerith, has committed God-only-knows how many crimes against humanity that we don't even see, and we eventually discover that he is basically directly responsible for all of the most odious tragedies in the FF7 narrative. He impregnates Lucretia then experiments on their unborn baby, who eventually becomes Sephiroth, and then when Vincent objects to this goddamn travesty Hojo guns him down and conducts crazy-rear end science on his corpse. When Hojo's colleague Gast grows a conscience and tries to flee Shinra with Ifalna and Aerith, the last surviving Cetra on the Planet, Hojo murders Gast and kidnaps Ifalna and Aerith. Ifalna eventually loving dies as a result of trying to escape him.

Like, he is the worst possible human. People in the thread were annoyed with how the Turks got let off the hook, and at least Hojo loving dies, but that scene in Costa del Sol with him sucks.

I don't think they're going to cut it, it's too iconic. I could see them reworking it to make him look even more pathetic and creepy though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
speaking of hojo adjacent characters I am also in love with what they did with Red XIII and his presence was enough to excuse the entire Drum for me

he shows instant synergy with the entire team, barret wants to be his bestie but has to work off the “lab rat-dog” wisecrack first, and for all his stoic shamanistic posturing his brief “you okay?” when he bailed out cloud was genuinely tender

god bless my endangered magic edgy teen catdog son

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

Yeah, that's why him relaxing on a beach like it's no big deal is so funny.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

What if they retconned the beach scene to be his corpse washing up on a beach after the party kills him? I mean you can call that a reference at least.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Here's a timeline change for you: make Lucretia an unwilling participant in Hojo's awful bullshit so that she isn't infuriatingly stupid, remain alive, then have her be the one to give him the coup de grace and shoot him eleventy million times like the scene where Hitler gets perforated in Inglorious Basterds

Flopsy posted:

What if they retconned the beach scene to be his corpse washing up on a beach after the party kills him? I mean you can call that a reference at least.

Yeah sure or that. Either way.

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, that's why him relaxing on a beach like it's no big deal is so funny.

Yeah the joke is "see, Josef Mengele fucks" and I guess we just disagree as to whether there's comedic value in that

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 21, 2020

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

god bless my endangered magic edgy teen catdog son

His animation for pulling the levers is hilarious, as is the scene where Barret tells him to smile

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

Here's a timeline change for you: make Lucretia an unwilling participant in Hojo's awful bullshit so that she isn't infuriatingly stupid, remain alive, then have her be the one to give him the coup de grace and shoot him eleventy million times like the scene where Hitler gets perforated in Inglorious Basterds

I agree this would be the only way to salvage her character. Make her unwilling. Otherwise any attempts at making her look sympathetic fall flat and look downright ridiculous. Especially since Vincent loving died for her. It makes him look like fool just for loving someone like that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

No matter how far off the rails the story goes, Palmer better still get hit by a truck. :colbert:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

As I recall the group was *going* to kill him on that beach, until he basically went "Oh what, you're just going to chop up an unarmed man on a public beach? That will go well for you"

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

DeathChicken posted:

As I recall the group was *going* to kill him on that beach, until he basically went "Oh what, you're just going to chop up an unarmed man on a public beach? That will go well for you"

To quote FFVII Machineabridged: Bitch you know we terrorist right

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What if they retcon it to Vincent being Sephiroth's dad and Hojo just lies about it to gently caress with Vincent/blackmails Lucretia into going along with it?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hence why you can only encounter him there before resting, when there’s still a fully armed and supplied Shinra battleship within earshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rhonne posted:

No matter how far off the rails the story goes, Palmer better still get hit by a truck. :colbert:

I believe I stated my preference earlier he be hit by several trucks in succession. Maybe have Jud from Pet Semetery show up scratch his cheek then mutter: Sometimes dead is better.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 21, 2020