Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of this, did OG FF7 have a better explanation for why the party decides Sephiroth is worth dropping everything to pursue than Aerith cryptically and suddenly getting a message from the planet that he's bad news because that part was pretty weak in the remake

instead of the Drum, the original game has the cast being locked up in holding cells and falling asleep, then waking to find that the cells are open and all the executive floors are a bloodbath with the president impaled to his desk by a seven-foot tall sword. this is literally the first time sephiroth's name is mentioned in the game outside of flashbacks

after they escape midgar and are trying to work out their next move, cloud insists they pursue sephiroth, and fills them all in on his (dubiously accurate) backstory to justify his reasoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

this is literally the first time sephiroth's name is mentioned in the game outside of flashbacks

president shinra mentions him once in reactor 5

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Instead of a Tifa/Scarlet slap fight, they have a Tifa/Scarlet slap fight- except Scarlet is in a 10-foot tall mecha exosuit. With High Heels.

cheetah7071 posted:

Speaking of this, did OG FF7 have a better explanation for why the party decides Sephiroth is worth dropping everything to pursue than Aerith cryptically and suddenly getting a message from the planet that he's bad news because that part was pretty weak in the remake

It was similar to Aerith's thing, but Cloud said it instead. He basically just goes "Only Sephiroth could have done this. Guys, I need to deal with this. Sephiroth is a much, much bigger risk to the planet than Shinra could ever be." And everyone else was like, drat, guess we better help out with that then.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

president shinra mentions him once in reactor 5

second time, then!

it must be speculated how uncomfortable the rest of the party must be during the sephiroth-pursuit segment of the game. their team "leader," who's gotten that position by dint of being the most competent-seeming one of the group, is yanking them along on a flimsily justified and borderline obsessive fixation on a legendary super-soldier who just carved up the better part of shinra's c-suited and impaled a twenty-meter tall snake to a tree on his way out. they keep encountering him, but he either doesn't recognize cloud or turns into a giant tentacle monster or both. tifa keeps giving cloud increasingly distressed looks and whenever someone asks him for clarification about his history with sephiroth he suffers a blinding migraine and then changes the subject

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also I wonder what will replace the Tifa/Scarlet slapfight

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out minigame. Turns out Scarlet used to be a bare knuckle brawler before joining Shinra.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Schwartzcough posted:

It was similar to Aerith's thing, but Cloud said it instead. He basically just goes "Only Sephiroth could have done this. Guys, I need to deal with this. Sephiroth is a much, much bigger risk to the planet than Shinra could ever be." And everyone else was like, drat, guess we better help out with that then.

Fair enough, I guess the way the original was structured, it's not like Cloud is asking them to chase Sephiroth forever on just a cryptic wording: he tells them what he knows at like, the very next opportunity. It's just more abrupt here because the game ends in between "Sephiroth is more dangerous than Shinra trust me" and the attempt at justifying that

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

second time, then!

it must be speculated how uncomfortable the rest of the party must be during the sephiroth-pursuit segment of the game. their team "leader," who's gotten that position by dint of being the most competent-seeming one of the group, is yanking them along on a flimsily justified and borderline obsessive fixation on a legendary super-soldier who just carved up the better part of shinra's c-suited and impaled a twenty-meter tall snake to a tree on his way out. they keep encountering him, but he either doesn't recognize cloud or turns into a giant tentacle monster or both. tifa keeps giving cloud increasingly distressed looks and whenever someone asks him for clarification about his history with sephiroth he suffers a blinding migraine and then changes the subject

well if Aeris is going on this trip then Cloud has to go too, which means Tifa has to go, which means Barret has to go. Red XIII hasn't got anything better to do.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Red XIII just wants to go home. Might as well go with his new buds.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rhonne posted:

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out minigame. Turns out Scarlet used to be a bare knuckle brawler before joining Shinra.

You mean something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPP1TgioeHg

But instead of a monster have it be a mech.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cloud's obsession with Sephiroth at the end of FF7R is exactly how I feel when the party's winding down and there's one guy trying to get everybody to go out to the bar after I've already stayed past my 2-hour social gathering maximum.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Flopsy posted:

You mean something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPP1TgioeHg

But instead of a monster have it be a mech.

So like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL-oaprfLrE

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Cloud's obsession with Sephiroth at the end of FF7R is exactly how I feel when the party's winding down and there's one guy trying to get everybody to go out to the bar after I've already stayed past my 2-hour social gathering maximum.

Yus. But I prefer it start out like it's going to be Tifa and Scarlet one on one before she breaks out the mech like the cheating Shinra bitch she is.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why did they have "out of order" notices there anyway

Also I wonder what will replace the Tifa/Scarlet slapfight

It's just this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8TiJfMOV_w

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gotta say...that was probably the most homoerotic thing I've seen in awhile.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It'll just be the final fight form MGS4.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Part 2 better have Mini as a status effect.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Beefstew posted:

Part 2 better have Mini as a status effect.

With squeaky helium voices!

Edit: (other thread discussion) and Schwartzcough you're wrong because the ending shows history explicitly being rewritten.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 22, 2020

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

I'll allow it if Sephiroth can be affected by it.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

Edit: (other thread discussion) and Schwartzcough you're wrong because the ending shows history explicitly being rewritten.

Do you mean the Zack thing? Because the game slapped a potato chip bag in front of your screen for like 3 seconds to show you that this is a different universe, with a different Stamp. Killing the boss seems to have repercussions that affect all timelines, including a different timeline where Zack now lives. It doesn't mean that Zack is now alive in the timeline we've been following in Remake.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

Do you mean the Zack thing? Because the game slapped a potato chip bag in front of your screen for like 3 seconds to show you that this is a different universe, with a different Stamp. Killing the boss seems to have repercussions that affect all timelines, including a different timeline where Zack now lives. It doesn't mean that Zack is now alive in the timeline we've been following in Remake.

Biggs

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Entering the realm of speculation

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tifa will punch scarlet and then tifa will pull her hand back in pain and scarlet will laugh as she reveals herself to be a cyborg by ripping off the fake skin on her face

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Maybe he didn't die in this universe, and was just seriously injured and got rescued. Maybe the Biggs that survived is in another timeline. We don't know. And in any event, whether Biggs lives or dies is a pretty drat minor change in the grand scheme of FF7, just like Wedge living or whether President Shinra was pre-stabbed when we arrived in his office or post-stabbed, or how Cloud ended up in a dress. People would not be getting bent out of shape about those little details. People ARE getting bent out of shape about the terror of the entire series BECOMING some convoluted silly mess now that the developers have told us: We're not going to stick the original plot exactly.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 22, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If your argument is "well maybe that one scene took place in another timeline" I don't think it's a train of thought that's going places.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

If your argument is "well maybe that one scene took place in another timeline" I don't think it's a train of thought that's going places.

I mean.... that's explicitly what it is. That was the whole point of showing us Stamp being a different dog. What do you think that meant?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This game already has multiple side quest timelines which chapter 9 quest line is canon?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Why did they have "out of order" notices there anyway

It was 'Under Maintenance' announcements. Like mentioned it's probably easier to wave it off like that instead of having to say you were laughed in yout face by Scarlet or shoved into a wall by Heidegger.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This game already has multiple side quest timelines which chapter 9 quest line is canon?

Sam because that dress is the prettiest

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I honestly have no clue. It's a convoluted mess of an ending that bodes very poorly for what's to come.

Coherent stories don't tend to feature time travel, characters returning from the dead, personifications of abstract concepts, intersecting timelines, extradimensional travel and metafiction ghosts.

You could argue they're going to sweep all that under the rug next time, but I suspect it's only going to get worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCEjeTb1rrs

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 22, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Man, you just ruled out like half of all fiction and 90% of fantasy/sci-fi/JRPGs there.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Endorph posted:

tifa will punch scarlet and then tifa will pull her hand back in pain and scarlet will laugh as she reveals herself to be a cyborg by ripping off the fake skin on her face

Gotta admit that would be anime as gently caress. Her tits have to turn into guns now though. It would absolutely be a loss if they go with this angle and they don't.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

Man, you just ruled out like half of all fiction and 90% of fantasy/sci-fi/JRPGs there.

You can have one thing from that list. Maybe two. All of them on top of the already pretty crazy alien god parasite Gaia theory psychological freak out of FF7?

It's going to be a train wreck.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

but I suspect it's only going to get worse.

And by the way, you just made my point- you're upset about what you suspect is going to happen more than anything that has happened.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Necrothatcher posted:

Then let it be a train wreck when it's an actual train wreck and not years before we actually get to know

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

You can have one thing from that list. Maybe two. All of them on top of the already pretty crazy alien god parasite Gaia theory psychological freak out of FF7?

Get in the sadness wagon with Vino and that other guy then.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Schwartzcough posted:

And by the way, you just made my point- you're upset about what you suspect is going to happen more than anything that has happened.

Look man, change is pretty scary.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

They just wrote themselves a permission slip allowing them to do whatever they want. Having seen that ending and looking back at the writing team's work for the last 20 years I don't think it's too much of a reach to predict that nothing good will come of this creative freedom.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Necrothatcher posted:

They just wrote themselves a permission slip allowing them to do whatever they want. Having seen that ending and looking back at the writing team's work for the last 20 years I don't think it's too much of a reach to predict that nothing good will come of this creative freedom.

And yet the team responsible for FF7R did a real knock out job with everything FF7 related.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

And that's fine, you can believe that and fear that, and you may absolutely be right. My point in the other thread, where this all started, is that people are really upset about how the end boss just wrote the developer's a blank check for the NEXT game, and are afraid they're going to gently caress it all up. Nothing that happened in this game changed anything much from the original, in the current story, so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

just because you personally dont like something doesnt mean it sucks btw