Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Our characters killed an abstract concept in outer space.

It's a pretty big change to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

E: gently caress it, im getting lovely again

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Necrothatcher posted:

And how has that changed where the party ends the Midgar portion of the FF7 story? You blew up two reactors, Sector 7 got crushed, Aerith got abducted, you staged an assault on the Shinra tower, where you rescued Aerith and recruited Red XIII, President Shinra got killed and Rufus took over, Sephiroth ran off with Jenova, and your party has escaped Midgar to give chase. We're right where the original game left us.

I mean, we killed lots of fantasy beasts and ghosts and monsters and robots we didn't kill in the original, but none of them matter to the overarching plot.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

You've just spelled out change is your problem with the whole thing. It's a remake my dude, that tends to come with the territory.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The worst part of killing an abstract concept in outer space is that it's completely unnecessary to telling the story they want to tell. It just distracts from the ideas with how loving dumb the presentation of those ideas is.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Captain Oblivious posted:

The worst part of killing an abstract concept in outer space is that it's completely unnecessary to telling the story they want to tell. It just distracts from the ideas with how loving dumb the presentation of those ideas is.

Bingo. This whole thing is obscuring the actual meat of the story and forcing the audience to go through needless mental gymnastics to discover what the gently caress is even going on. It's a flash in the pan gimmick.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Endorph posted:

tifa will punch scarlet and then tifa will pull her hand back in pain and scarlet will laugh as she reveals herself to be a cyborg by ripping off the fake skin on her face

Oh right it's obvious how the scene should play out now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhMsboqMMzs

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

And how has that changed where the party ends the Midgar portion of the FF7 story? You blew up two reactors, Sector 7 got crushed, Aerith got abducted, you staged an assault on the Shinra tower, where you rescued Aerith and recruited Red XIII, President Shinra got killed and Rufus took over, Sephiroth ran off with Jenova, and your party has escaped Midgar to give chase. We're right where the original game left us.

I mean, we killed lots of fantasy beasts and ghosts and monsters and robots we didn't kill in the original, but none of them matter to the overarching plot.

it doesn't necessarily change the fundamentals of exactly what they have to do next but "fought some robots and then escaped the city with the police chasing them" and "defeated the abstract concept of time and ghost sephiroth in a giant anime fight" definitely feel different as end points

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Schwartzcough posted:

Nothing that happened in this game changed anything much from the original, in the current story, so far.

Except Sephiroth's ghost is from the original FF7 timeline and went back in time to alter history to prevent the original game from happening.

Or Sephiroth's ghost gained psychic powers after merging with the planet and foresaw the events of the original game and is altering the course of destiny to prevent the original game from happening.

Oh, and then we beat up the physical manifestation of destiny to alter the timeline.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
T H E C Y C L E C O N T I N U E S

the true timeloop was inside us all along/was the posters we met along the way

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't think it's worth arguing with anyone who can handwave away the last chapter of the game as no big deal to the characters or ongoing plot.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xaiter posted:

Except Sephiroth's ghost is from the original FF7 timeline and went back in time to alter history to prevent the original game from happening.

Or Sephiroth's ghost gained psychic powers after merging with the planet and foresaw the events of the original game and is altering the course of destiny to prevent the original game from happening.

Oh, and then we beat up the physical manifestation of destiny to alter the timeline.

OG FF7 sephrioth is only at the end when he tells Cloud he has 7 seconds btw but rage on my dude!

Necrothatcher posted:

I don't think it's worth arguing with anyone who can handwave away the last chapter of the game as no big deal to the characters or ongoing plot.

Then do everybody a favor and stop posting

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god nobody cares if you don't like it. Go blow up a reactor over it or something.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

You misspelled being a negative nancy about a game that hasn't been released. Some people like the ending opening new possibilities other people think it's the worst thing since cancer. Nothing to be done for it either way.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

tifa will punch scarlet and then tifa will pull her hand back in pain and scarlet will laugh as she reveals herself to be a cyborg by ripping off the fake skin on her face

Well if Tifa's wearing Metal Knuckles huh!?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everybody: Hey man we don't know yet and it's better to not be such a negative nancy when the same writing team you are so paranoid about showed that they did an absolute banger of a job in every aspect of the remake including character expansion, location expansion and it can't be stated how much love and care went into it.

Necrothatcher: Stop handwaving it all away! It's bad! Everything sucks and the thing they are currently working on sucks!

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asema posted:

Everybody: Hey man we don't know yet and it's better to not be such a negative nancy when the same writing team you are so paranoid about showed that they did an absolute banger of a job in every aspect of the remake including character expansion, location expansion and it can't be stated how much love and care went into it.

Necrothatcher: Stop handwaving it all away! It's bad! Everything sucks and the thing they are currently working on sucks!

Repeat this for 50 pages but replace the second post with whoever

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

When you get served a delicious five course gourmet meal on sparkling china and then you discover the final dish is a lump of artfully sculpted poo poo, it kind of colours the whole experience.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Why are y'all throwing such loving tantrums? Folks are voicing their grievances with the ending and y'all lose your minds every time while claiming that you "don't care."

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

When you get served a delicious five course gourmet meal on sparkling china and then you discover the final dish is a lump of artfully sculpted poo poo, it kind of colours the whole experience.

The final dish had gorgonzola on it and you just can't that poo poo. I mean has MOLD on it.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
*i anime flip into from a moving train and land very coolly with my anime sword brandished wide for all to see. my eyes coolly anime and i am wearing v. cool clothes.*

has anybody said "kingdom hearts 3 sucked" yet

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Beefstew posted:

Why are y'all throwing such loving tantrums? Folks are voicing their grievances with the ending and y'all lose your minds every time while claiming that you "don't care."

Because it's tedious and inevitably turns into a circle jerk of everything is awful/drat you Nomura/Kingdom hearts bullshit.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Flopsy posted:

The final dish had gorgonzola on it and you just can't that poo poo. I mean has MOLD on it.

??

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

guts and bolts posted:

*i anime flip into from a moving train and land very coolly with my anime sword brandished wide for all to see. my eyes coolly anime and i am wearing v. cool clothes.*

has anybody said "kingdom hearts 3 sucked" yet

*stands up bravely* I think it was bad.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It was okay. San Fransokyo should have been more vibrant though, that place was amazing in the movie.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Beefstew posted:

Because if you don't tell a bitch they are a bitch what is the point of the internet?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

They're saying the ending was not, in fact, objectively poo poo, but was something that you, subjectively, really dislike. And that you're kind of overreacting when, as you said, all the other courses presented were fantastic. Maybe you shouldn't go home and write a 1* yelp review about the lunch you haven't eaten there tomorrow because you're sure, based on how much you hated last night's desert, that the entire kitchen staff are horrible imbeciles.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

They really didn't. They killed the physical enforcers of the planet's "this is how I want things to go" will. Red XIII calls the planet's will "fate" but even if we accept that, what the Whispers are isn't literally fate--they push events that feature a very specific set of people (the main characters of Final Fantasy VII) towards a very specific outcome (the plot of Final Fantasy VII). Their scope is a lot more limited than some people seem to assume. We never see the Whispers do anything but interfere in events that would prevent the plot of Final Fantasy VII from happening the "right" way--that's it.

Granted the finale is pretty loving bombastic but given that the Whispers are very similar to WEAPONs, right down to being created by the planet in self-defense, it's not too strange to think they could take on a huge WEAPON-like form.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought the big fight against the Prime Whisper or whatever sucked rear end..not just mechanically but also it was just too out for me for the first act. I get they needed some huge thing to end the game on though so whatever.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
It's a pretty cowardly take to play through the whole game, start to finish, and then go "okay well this was great but the next part might suck so this whole thing sucks."

We get it, you're scared of change.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Flopsy posted:

Because it's tedious and inevitably turns into a circle jerk of everything is awful/drat you Nomura/Kingdom hearts bullshit.

I mean that fight is pretty bad but the gang ends up where the original game does at that point so I'm just kind of like :shrug:

Twitter had me expecting really crazy poo poo like Aeris dies early or Barret dies instead or Red XIII turns out to be Yuffie in disguise or something. I actually feel like if they're gonna do this alternate timeline/realities thing, they should've leaned on it way harder

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought the big fight against the Prime Whisper or whatever sucked rear end..not just mechanically but also it was just too out for me for the first act. I get they needed some huge thing to end the game on though so whatever.

Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of it in execution either, I just take issue with people saying we "killed the entire actual concept of fate" or whatever. It did seem to go a bit too far beyond for the ending of the first act of something.

Then again I really liked Xenosaga and the first part of that also features fighting a huge monster from nowhere in some weird extra-dimensional space so I guess I can let a lot of crazy tonal swings slide with JRPGs.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

However else you feel about it the ending is bizarre, unexpected and designed to shock. It's going to generate strong opinions and this is the designated place to chat about it.

E: honestly the dogpiling and insults people get when they criticise the ending is a bit weird.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hey can we get a thread ban on accusing people of being "afraid of change" or whatever?

I don't agree with Necrothatcher's take either but reducing every criticism of the ending and concerns over the potential direction of the story from here to just being "scared of change" is really disingenuous and it only makes everyone more defensive.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Necrothatcher posted:

However else you feel about it the ending is bizarre, unexpected and designed to shock. It's going to generate strong opinions and this is the designated place to chat about it.

E: honestly the dogpiling and insults people get when they criticise the ending is a bit weird.

the dogpiling and the bullying is because people have engaged you for like thirty pages and you never actually listen to what they say and then start going on about how everything else is ruined because of it and you've followed the exact playbook of now playing the victim because you are so brave for ignoring all of the people that tried to talk to you in earnest.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Yeah, if you guys think 99% of this game was incredible and the last 1% was disappointing because it sets them up to allow them to subvert your expectations again, I think you need to remember that this isn’t Kingdom Hearts, which I enjoyed a lot btw, when I was younger when 1 and 2 came out but the story was complete nonsense to me. The third game came out and I never finished it, mostly because it’s not fun to play like the first two KH games. I trust that with basically most of the main people involved from the original, and the fact that as a lot of you guys have said, the first 99% of the game is a lovingly expanded and incredible adaptation of the original and the other 1% basically reminded you of KH, but is one of the only ways they could’ve really allowed themselves to surprise people in the following games doesn’t mean anything. Or idk, I’m sure people have say this repeatedly basically, but as someone who didn’t expect that this would be as good as it is and played the demo then pre ordered it immediately, I loved it and although I definitely immediately thought of Kingdom Hearts during the Arbiters of Fate stuff or whatever it was called, I still enjoyed that part. The music, the visuals, etc still felt like FF7 to me, but warped in a weird way that didn’t make me feel like I was playing a different game.

Edit: to be clear, I’m not saying you can’t criticize it, if I cared about the original game more, which I maybe don’t as much as you guys because I played it like half way through the PS2’s life cycle and it wasn’t a game I necessarily grew up with like Mario 64 was for me, so I can see why anyone would be concerned that they’re going to change the other games too much or make it too ‘Kingdom Hearts’, for lack of a better term, I just enjoyed the entirety of the game that is really close to the original and all the added stuff in between was just as good, if not better in some respects, so the fact that the last half hour was a lot different doesn’t really change my expectations for the following games. I think as long as they stick to just the plot of the original game and not the rest of the FF7 canon or whatever then it’ll be great.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 22, 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the next game is gonna be worse, not because any of this whisper nonsense, but because the next part of FF7 is by far the weakest part of the original game

alternate shitposts: bring on the alternate reality changes because the next part needs some sprucing up

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is how one expresses rational criticism. State the things you subjectively dislike and then evaluate how much the actual tangible badness from those things has impacted you.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
the final fight should've just been against the whisper versions of your team instead of a big monster dude or sephiroth imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
In a world where kotor 2 was good until it ended badly and mass effect 3 was good until it ended badly, I think it's fair to be pessimistic to a game that's only 1/4th done and is definitely straying from the original story.