Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

when i first saw Red crack off Stardust Ray my brain went "OH MY GOD HE'S DOING THE THIIIIIIING"

This was me when Cloud did the victory sword twirl in the Coliseum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

anakha posted:

This was me when Cloud did the victory sword twirl in the Coliseum.

Despite seeing it several times, I still don't have a clear idea of where Aerith's rod goes when she does her animation.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

when i first saw Red crack off Stardust Ray my brain went "OH MY GOD HE'S DOING THE THIIIIIIING"

I hope Red's abilities and limits are more useful in part 2. Always liked him but god drat is he bad in OG 7

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hell House deserves at least a point for the Scotch and Kotch commentary

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

pog boyfriend posted:

depending on how you see the scale, hell house was like a 2/5 compared to bosses in other games but yeah. the sephiroth fight had me going buckwild. i also liked the whisper harbinger/whisper bahamut even though it was so easy that i felt i could fall asleep in parts of it, just because of how cool it was seeing barret and nanaki fire off combo limit breaks every time you staggered it

I think Red XIII also busts out Stardust Ray whenever you Limit. It felt that way at least when I was doing another run after getting Götterdämmerung. Like, even when you're still in the Drum he'll just pop that poo poo.

Also also, Hell House is just really boring. You spend a lot of time doing basically nothing while you wait for his barrier to change over, then you do the spell, pour in damage, and then do nothing for a while again. It's especially bad when he's in God House Mode and flying around. You just kinda watch him and get bored.

Compare that poo poo to Rufus, who is a blast start to finish.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 22, 2020

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
how do beat bahamut 2. please hlep

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lezard_valeth posted:

I hope Red's abilities and limits are more useful in part 2. Always liked him but god drat is he bad in OG 7

given how fearsome dogs are in FF7R i'm more worried about him becoming too powerful

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Also it has an ability called Heavensward :allears:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Bleck posted:

Ah, I see he is killing you, too.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

Compare that poo poo to Rufus, who is a blast start to finish.

rufus was great, but jenova takes it for me for best boss fight. when they brought the original jenova theme in during the fight i just had this goofy grin on my face

Bleck posted:

you beat the 6 dogs. you can do anything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pog boyfriend posted:

rufus was great, but jenova takes it for me for best boss fight. when they brought the original jenova theme in during the fight i just had this goofy grin on my face

you beat the 6 dogs. you can do anything.

Yeah, it was a challenging fight, but the mechanics were intuitive and I had a blast fighting her.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Bleck posted:

I should probably copy-paste this but anyway.

Bring Cloud, Tifa or Barret, and Aerith. Cloud should have Elemental-Ice in his armor for bullying your way through Shiva without any problems, and Tifa or Barret should as well. Aerith needs Magnify-Healing. Everyone should have Healing and Revival materia. I'd give Cloud or Tifa/Barret Barrier as well. Apply HP Up and MP Up to everyone to taste. You want to have at least 7k HP on everyone, maybe more, depending on your skill level. Aerith should ideally have as much magic as you can stack on her, so two Magic Ups are good, but ultimately just use what you feel most comfortable with.

For Cloud I'd use the Buster Sword or Twin Stinger. For Tifa, Sonic Strikers. For Barret, EKG Cannon or Light Machine Gun. For Aerith, Reinforced Staff is basically non-negotiable. Chain Bangle on Cloud, Cog Bangle on Tifa/Barret, Rune Armlet on Aerith. Champion Belts and Transference Module are good choices for your frontline, and Healing Carcanet should be on Aerith.

When actually fighting Bahamut 2, you want to keep Magnify-Regen up on your characters for much of the time; it will get you through an awful lot of the damage you'll soak up, and that way you can put out fires with less MP usage and with faster cast times (you'll use Cura much more often than Curaga unless poo poo goes really sideways). You want to burn as much ATB as you can on Cloud if you have the Transference Module equipped so that you can generate a lot of Limit gauge. Any time you see Bahamut start up an "Umbral _____" attack, switch characters. The AI will either block Umbral Inferno/Umbral Frenzy and gain ATB (doubly so if you have Steadfast Block on Cloud, which I do), or will get hit by Umbral Strikes, which you can't block anyway. Either way it's a good time to build ATB on someone else because these attacks take a long time to execute.

Bahamut's normal attack chain goes one of two ways - he will do two swipes, then a corkscrew roll at you, or just two swipes and stop. You can tell if he's going to do the screw attack if he floats backward slightly after doing his swipes. Just block and attack where appropriate.

When the camera shifts and you see a countdown ("Five...") appear on Bahamut, go all-in on staggering moves to jack the meter up. When he begins to glow reddish-purple, he is going to activate Umbral Aura and blow everyone nearby him away, so just block it.

At... 70%? 60%? I forget -- he'll summon Ifrit. By now you should have a Limit built on somebody. Immediately spend all of your ATB and your Limit, preferably Ascension, on Ifrit and he will die shockingly fast. (You have to Assess Ifrit here if you're going for the completed play log, but it doesn't matter for the sake of trophies, if you care.) You should have Ice materia slotted if you followed my advice, so Blizzaga + a Limit + some gauge burning from Cloud and Tifa/Barret should be enough to kill him or almost kill him virtually right away. If you can't kill him immediately, don't panic. Just focus on killing him, and you can burn all of your MP more or less if necessary to survive this phase and kill Ifrit.

When Bahamut casts Megaflare, it will do 9999 damage to your entire party by default, regardless of their stats. You must plan for this accordingly. There are three ways to survive Megaflare.
  • Reprieve, a passive ability on specific weapons for each character, that allows you to survive fatal damage once per battle with 1 HP.
  • Revival Earrings, which cost 500gil and you probably have half a million by now on Hard.
  • Manawall, which will reduce the damage of Megaflare to about 5000.

It isn't super necessary that everybody survive Megaflare, but two is ideal. Have somebody cast Arise on the dead, stabilize your party's HP, and keep rolling. If you can't kill Bahamut before he attempts a second Megaflare, you are either underequipped or need to tweak your strategy.

edit:
I'll just copy-paste my loadout here for people struggling with Bahamut 2. Keep in mind that we have Cloud equipped with Bahamut as a summon for the stats; you actually cannot summon Bahamut against Bahamut, I don't think. Or if you can I just didn't ever get the opportunity, and I've done this fight three times. I'm... not gonna lie, I'm kinda fuzzy on how the Summon gauge actually works.

Cloud
Buster Sword (Healing // Revival // Barrier // HP Up // MP Up // First Strike // BAHAMUT)
Chain Bangle (Elemental - Ice // Steadfast Block // Parry or Enemy Skill or Assess)
Transference Module

Tifa
Sonic Strikers (Healing // Revival // HP Up x2 // MP Up x2 // FAT CHOCOBO or IFRIT)
Cog Bangle (Elemental - Ice // First Strike)
Champion Belt

Aerith
Reinforced Staff (Magnify - Healing // HP Up x2 // MP Up x2 // CARBUNCLE (or LEVIATHAN if you don't have it, lol pay2win))
Rune Armlet (Revival // Magic Up x2)
Healing Carcanet

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Apr 22, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
rufus: "i have the power of dog and anime on my side"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

of course he would name his dog Darkstar

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I love just about 99% of the remake, and I know it’s been a thing since Advent Children, but the feather motif with Sephiroth can just gently caress off. It is dumb and bad.

“Hey you all thought Safer Sephiroth’s design was cool? And that song One Winged Angel was pretty good right? Let’s run this poo poo Into. The. Ground.”

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pretty much everything involving sephiroth was a clunker for me, he's the only element of the original game that's succumbed entirely to its own hype

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

of course he would name his dog Darkstar

It should of been Barkstar instead.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Whenever I see Sephiroth's one winged form I keep remembering the dumb metaphor from Xenogears and it makes me chuckle.

At any rate I am ok with Sephiroth's dumb edgy angel form, because the alternative is

this. Dumb hyper edgy angel form

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I kinda hope that instead of some pretty-boy final form or whatever, that if/when we get to fight Bizarro- and Safer/Savior/Saver/Whatever-Sephiroth, he looks like someone who was mid-transformation into The Thing as Jenova tries to assert control of him completely. Super body horror poo poo.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
The adventure ahead might be unknown but the one thing you can be certain of is Sephiroth's final forms are gonna be super bishonen.

Kinda miss the days when FF final bosses were eldritch abominations with a penis resembling their human form hanging under them

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'll be kinda disappointed if the final boss is the same as the original. I mean, I do want Bizarro and Safer Sephiroth fights, but gimme something mooooore

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

guts and bolts posted:

I kinda hope that instead of some pretty-boy final form or whatever, that if/when we get to fight Bizarro- and Safer/Savior/Saver/Whatever-Sephiroth, he looks like someone who was mid-transformation into The Thing as Jenova tries to assert control of him completely. Super body horror poo poo.

I always interpreted that as what was going on with Bizarro Sephiroth in the original, anyway. And that's what I'd expect here; a final boss transformation from body horror Sephiroth into angel Sephiroth.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

It did kind of feel like each character had a couple too many Abilities, and it'll just get worse in the future since presumably there will be more weapons per character going forward. Aerith's were by far the most varied, though why I would want to spend ATB gauge on letting other characters steal ATB from her I don't know. Doublecast, on the other hand, is nuts.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 22, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Maximilian Dood is dissecting Sephiroth's appearance at the ending right now.

His key point is that Post-Advent Children Sephiroth has come back and is trying to gently caress things up (symbolized by the black bird flying to Midgar at the beginning cinematic), hence his appearance being taken from Advent Children.

E: LMAO he's roasting all the guys going :argh:NOMURA:argh:

E2: Holy poo poo, I never realized that the BGM after Cloud meets Sephiroth for the first time is taken from AC. That does support his theory.

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 22, 2020

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I was actually just watching his spoiler-free review (since the spoiler one is still not up) and I think it's a really good review. He completely nails it when he says that in this version of the game, while the story has it's ups and downs, it's entirely carried by it's characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWvnX_vl9sA

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the ff7r got me to finally play a final fantasy that i have never played

ff9

it's making me just want to play Chrono Cross though lmao and I have no idea how far into the game I am Dagger is about to become Queen

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

beat it first try with this, thanks so much

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Asema posted:

the ff7r got me to finally play a final fantasy that i have never played

ff9

it's making me just want to play Chrono Cross though lmao and I have no idea how far into the game I am Dagger is about to become Queen

You are at the beginning of "Disc 3". Disc 3 is probably 10 or so hours of gameplay if you don't speedrun it (otherwise it'd be more like 4 or 5), and then Disc 4 is the final dungeon cause PSone era, and wrapping up some sidequests (though technically you can wrap up all sidequests but one in Disc 3)

With that said, FF9 is a really fun game and one that ranks pretty high in my FF list, with the biggest problem that has against it being that only 3 of your 8 characters stay relevant to the plot all throughout the game, while the rest kinda phase in and out or simply can't justify their existence

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 22, 2020

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Pollyanna posted:

I'll be kinda disappointed if the final boss is the same as the original. I mean, I do want Bizarro and Safer Sephiroth fights, but gimme something mooooore

It would be cool if we could fight Jenova and straight up kill her forever and save The Planet and then Advent Children never happens.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lezard_valeth posted:

You are at the beginning of "Disc 3". Disc 3 is probably 10 or so hours of gameplay if you don't speedrun it (otherwise it'd be more like 4 or 5), and then Disc 4 is the final dungeon cause PSone era, and wrapping up some sidequests (though technically you can wrap up all sidequests but one in Disc 3)

With that said, FF9 is a really fun game and one that ranks pretty high in my FF list, with the biggest problem that has against it being that only 3 of your 8 characters stay relevant to the plot all throughout the game, while the rest kinda phase in and out or simply can't justify their existence

My opinion so far is that I really like it a lot, outside of my current issue in which it had a huge emotional hype up moment with Kuja and the Queen and this "oh poo poo moment" and immediately put on the brakes for the Dagger stuff and I wanna get back to figuring out the cool plot relevant stuff

I think after I'm done with it I'm gonna do FF7 again with the new threat mod.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

Petition Square-enix to give Sephiroth squid eyeball nips like his mum.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Harrow posted:

Weird personal aside:

For some reason, Yuffie's theme is powerfully nostalgic to me, even though I don't really have much affection for Yuffie as a character. But every time I hear it, I can never quite place it, for at least a minute or two. I remember a time a bunch of years ago when I heard Yuffie's theme in something unrelated and immediately recognized it even if I couldn't quite place it, but for some reason I felt this strong nostalgic pang in my heart. When I remembered what it was I was honestly confused.

Anyway that happened again when I stumbled across it in-game in the remake, and then again like a week later when I heard it in I think Jim Sterling's FF7R video, and both times I was like "aww man this is making me nostalgic" and "oh wait that's Yuffie's theme" like a minute apart.

It's weird.

Anyway I really like this theme

I think the overall chord progression is pretty similar to "You've Got a Friend in Me" which is one of the reasons I like the song so much too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Based on my cursory pickings from Youtube video, people mostly hate the ending because they're interpreting it as introducing multiple timelines to the game, and that's seen as cheesy, overdone, and trite. Fair enough.

I don't think they're doing timeline poo poo at all, though. There's only one.

Also, goddamn people are loving pissed at this game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Based on my cursory pickings from Youtube video, people mostly hate the ending because they're interpreting it as introducing multiple timelines to the game, and that's seen as cheesy, overdone, and trite. Fair enough.

Yeah I am not sure why people (in this thread as well) jump to the idea that the ending is showing a completely alternate universe as opposed to changing the main timeline?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I think the problem is at the moment it's very hard to nail down specifically what's going on in the ending. We mostly interpret that as the game is more or less going to follow the same plot beats but be greatly expanded on and the order of events are possibly changed or shaken up. They're probably looking at this as Kingdom hearts logic being applied to FF7. And I'll admit if that's how I saw it? I'd be pretty pissed too.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

See, I just read the differences as being a Back to the Future thing, where small details changing show that things are on a different path. I just can't comprehend how people can see that and think "Clearly this is an alternate dimension or an alternate timeline!" rather than "Oh, that's visual shorthand to show something changed outside of the immediate party!", but for all we know it could be. Next game ain't out yet.

Also, Youtube is not a great metric to judge how pissed off people as a whole are, ya know? Those crazy fucks are pissed about EEEEEVVVVVEEEERRRRYYYYTTTHHHHIIIINNNNGGGG.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

J Detan posted:

See, I just read the differences as being a Back to the Future thing, where small details changing show that things are on a different path. I just can't comprehend how people can see that and think "Clearly this is an alternate dimension or an alternate timeline!" rather than "Oh, that's visual shorthand to show something changed outside of the immediate party!", but for all we know it could be. Next game ain't out yet.

Also, Youtube is not a great metric to judge how pissed off people as a whole are, ya know? Those crazy fucks are pissed about EEEEEVVVVVEEEERRRRYYYYTTTHHHHIIIINNNNGGGG.

Also twitch chats apparently.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The problem is that in the absence of explanation the only thing you can do is speculate and everyone assumed the worst for some reason.

Eh, they'll get over it. They like the original too much not to buy the next ones.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Youtube people make money from being performatively angry at things, please stop watching Youtube its extremely bad for your brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Bleck posted:

beat it first try with this, thanks so much

No problem-o my man. Bahamut 2 is a good demonstration of everything that works about Hard mode (fun fights! challenge! skill required to win!) and everything that doesn't (boy I sure hope you have a way to survive Megaflare, because if you don't, start the whole gauntlet over!). I've considered trying to do a whole Big McLargehuge effortpost about sticking points for Hard run-throughs, but I'm pretty sure Eligor, Bahamut 2, and Sephiroth are the only three bosses that feel genuinely oppressive if you don't know One Weird Trick That THEY Don't Want You To Know

edit: like, for example, that Cloud's strong attack in Punisher gives him Berserk for 10 seconds. Berserk radically boosts your damage output at the cost of taking more damage. There are times where this is extremely exploitable, particularly during staggered states, and I don't know if enough people are using it. Mechanically I know there's really cool things for all the characters, and Barret in particular I think gets overlooked a lot for not being a waifu, but Cloud is just head-and-shoulders above the rest of the cast. He is so much better than the rest of your party that, as long as you're good at playing as Cloud and just outfit him with your best stuff, he can easily carry you through most of the game effectively by himself.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 22, 2020