Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

biracial bear for uncut posted:

We knew that was coming anyway

yeah im planning on it not being available and if by some miracle it still exists, great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
The worst news so far is this. Copied from the CSPAM thread, I'll link too
You should know. I hope they are wrong.
New preprint on aerosol transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2. Methods include nebulizer studies from 4 different labs. Results are uhh... something.

quote:
Infectious SARS-CoV-2 was detected at all timepoints during the aerosol suspension stability experiment (Figure 2). As shown in Figure 2a, a minor but constant fraction of the SARS-CoV-2 virus maintained replication-competence at all timepoints performed, including when sampled at 16 hours of aerosol suspension. This resulted in a remarkably flat decay curve when measured for infectivity, and failed to provide a biological half-life

Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) imaging of SARS-CoV-2 revealed virions that were heterogenous in shape, either ovoid (Figure 3A) or spherical (Figure 3B). The minor:major axis ratio of oval-shaped virions was approximately 0.7, which is consistent with prior SEM analyses of SARS-CoV-2. Airborne SARS-CoV-2 maintained the expected morphologies, size and aspect ratios up to 16 hours. Specifically, virions aged for 10 min (Figure 3C, D) or 16 hours (Figure 3E, F) were similar in shape and general appearance to virions examined prior to aerosolization, which is consistent with the retention of replication-competence.

These data suggest that SARS-CoV-2 generally maintains infectivity when airborne over short distances, in contrast to either comparator betacoronavirus. Results of the aerosol suspension experiments suggest that SARS-CoV-2 is persistent over longer periods of time than would be expected when generated as a highly respirable particle (2 μm MMAD).

Collectively, this preliminary dataset on the aerosol efficiency and persistence of SARS-CoV-2 suggest that this virus is remarkably resilient in aerosol form, even when aged for over 12 hours, and reinforces the conclusions reached in earlier studies of aerosol fitness by others. Aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2, whether through direct respiratory droplet transfer or fomite generation, may in fact be a more important exposure transmission pathway than previously considered. Our approach of quantitative measurement of infectivity of viral airborne efficiency complemented by qualitative assessment of virion morphology leads us to conclude that SARS-CoV-2 is viable as an airborne pathogen.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

The link
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918863&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1006#post504290183

The tldr is it's airborne airborne and lasts a long rear end time in the air, way way long 16 hrs?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Spinz posted:

The link
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3918863&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1006#post504290183

The tldr is it's airborne airborne and lasts a long rear end time in the air, way way long 16 hrs?

I heard of a case today on the news of a child who died of COVID-19 that hadn't been outside for months and neither had her parents but there was no question of "How did she contract this?"

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Who gives a poo poo about that stuff, how long does it live on a box of cheezits or a bag of Funyuns

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Spinz posted:

The link

:stonklol: we're hosed.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

I heard of a case today on the news of a child who died of COVID-19 that hadn't been outside for months and neither had her parents but there was no question of "How did she contract this?"

drat, an entire family that hadn’t left the house in months?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Have scientists run any fancy computer models of what's likely to happen the way these states plan on reopening?

Also seeing the tone of the comments on these "We're gunna open today!" news stories taking a turn towards really grim and likely FBI going to be investigating people over comments.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Spinz posted:

The link

so basically the study made some tiny corona droplets and checked how long it took them to degrade. but it doesn't provide much insight into how common a method of transmission this is. i would think that being around someone coughing or talking, or picking the virus up from a surface would be more likely than getting it from walking into a bunch of floating virus mist

e: also, it's worth pointing out that this is one study that hasn't been peer reviewed. if there were a similar study about a promising new treatment, people would be climbing over each other to point that fact out. but since this study suggests a bad thing everybody buys into it uncritically

goethe.cx fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 22, 2020

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Philthy posted:

Have scientists run any fancy computer models of what's likely to happen the way these states plan on reopening?

Also seeing the tone of the comments on these "We're gunna open today!" news stories taking a turn towards really grim and likely FBI going to be investigating people over comments.

What do you mean? Are the left join the insane train?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Philthy posted:

ShiiiiitFuuuuuckDaaaaamn.gif

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

frogge posted:

:stonklol: we're hosed.

sounds like we gotta open up and let the chips fall where they may.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

goethe.cx posted:

so basically the study made some tiny corona droplets and checked how long it took them to degrade. but it doesn't provide much insight into how common a method of transmission this is. i would think that being around someone coughing or talking, or picking the virus up from a surface would be more likely than getting it from walking into a bunch of floating virus mist

e: also, it's worth pointing out that this is one study that hasn't been peer reviewed. if there were a similar study about a promising new treatment, people would be climbing over each other to point that fact out. but since this study suggests a bad thing everybody buys into it uncritically

Also, we've known since January that it's a bad idea to put Covid patients on nebulizers or CPAP machines because they aerosolized it so well

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Spinz posted:

The link

I mean we know the r0 for this thing is around 3, definitely not more than like 5, and the airborne viruses that scare epidemiologists are like measles and chickenpox which have an r0 of 20

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

sounds like we gotta open up and let the chips fall where they may.

Username/post combo

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

tractor fanatic posted:

I mean we know the r0 for this thing is around 3, definitely not more than like 5, and the airborne viruses that scare epidemiologists are like measles and chickenpox which have an r0 of 20

Ok., They say 5ish now
I personally don't think we have tested enough to have a firm rO anyway

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
One good thing:
We tried a subscription to the YMCA two years ago. The Y is popular, but my kids are super clinically ADHD, and they just couldn't handle the crowds. We signed up for classes, the classes were a mess: No communication about where to meet, frequently didn't have my kids on the signup list for classes we paid for. We signed them up for a gymnastics class which was taught by a person with their leg in a cast who constantly complained my kids were too active for them to keep up with. Going there was literally the worst experience I've had in the last 3 years, every time I went.

We let our membership expire and just exercised them in the giant backyard known as Washington State with great results.

My in-laws, who are cool but often give gifts that assume my kids are not developmentally delayed when it comes to busy situations, got us all YMCA memberships. Then they began complaining we never used them.

I used the pandemic as a way to get them to cancel the memberships without having to bring up how it is literally my own personal Hell, which would offend them greatly for Boomer reasons, and would also require mentioning my kids' developmental delays which I don't like to do to people who actively deny they exist.

So, yay pandemic, I guess? I obv feel bad saying that.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

tractor fanatic posted:

CDC says it's r0 5.7 now.

I also see the major news outlets are using the CDC airborne study that showed one person sitting next to a vent/fan can infect almost everyone that it reaches. Makes sense now if this really can live that long.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

pet pangolin

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Cacafuego posted:

drat, an entire family that hadn’t left the house in months?

That raises more questions to me. Were these preppers that actually followed through staying in their bomb shelter instead of parading their brodozers around protesting over haircuts?

If not, how have they been getting food if nobody has left in months? Grocery delivery? Dozens of Doordash deliveries?

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

they hadn't been outside, but presumably they had people delivering things to them

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sir Not Appearing posted:

That raises more questions to me. Were these preppers that actually followed through staying in their bomb shelter instead of parading their brodozers around protesting over haircuts?

If not, how have they been getting food if nobody has left in months? Grocery delivery? Dozens of Doordash deliveries?

It’s pretty easily achievable if you don’t smoke. I presume they at least go in their yard. Because yeah

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

edit : NVM I think I am just having a panic attack, sorry about that.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 22, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve been to the grocery store once in the last five weeks and could easily go another five without a trip and am not a prepper in any way, just have a big freezer and a wife that likes to keep a full pantry.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
My construction job laid me off today anddonated me a 3M half-mask and a few dozen N95 filters since they knew I’d be working ambulance shifts twice a week.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

My construction job laid me off today anddonated me a 3M half-mask and a few dozen N95 filters since they knew I’d be working ambulance shifts twice a week.

Sorry dude. Are they just stopping or slowing down construction?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

Bleusilences posted:

edit : NVM I think I am just having a panic attack, sorry about that.

Sent you a pm
Hang in there and lol your av is cute as hell!!

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

I’ve been to the grocery store once in the last five weeks and could easily go another five without a trip and am not a prepper in any way, just have a big freezer and a wife that likes to keep a full pantry.

I've been going once a week because I am physically incapable of getting everything on my dang list. Either I forget something important, or they're just plain sold out of what I need. I'm more annoyed with myself than the stores, but still. I'm fairly sure my boyfriend and I have already been infected and just shown no symptoms though. He's working on the floor of a retail store, and while I'm in an office I'm still sitting next to my co-worker who thinks any Covid vaccine would trace us via blutooth for the rest of our lives and that 5G is causing this whole mess. So I'm fairly sure he's not taking normal precautions. Obviously, I'm not assuming I've gotten it, but I think it's a fair bet.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Soysaucebeast posted:

I'm in an office I'm still sitting next to my co-worker who thinks any Covid vaccine would trace us via blutooth for the rest of our lives and that 5G is causing this whole mess.

I hope you are regularly making GBS threads on your boss's desk for making you come in to a shared space for work.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

the dude I'm sharing an office with does not pay attention to the news and one day asked me why wal-mart was turning people away for not having a mask. while the entire rest of our office was empty

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Spinz posted:

The worst news so far is this. Copied from the CSPAM thread, I'll link too
You should know. I hope they are wrong.
New preprint on aerosol transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2. Methods include nebulizer studies from 4 different labs. Results are uhh... something.

quote:
Infectious SARS-CoV-2 was detected at all timepoints during the aerosol suspension stability experiment (Figure 2). As shown in Figure 2a, a minor but constant fraction of the SARS-CoV-2 virus maintained replication-competence at all timepoints performed, including when sampled at 16 hours of aerosol suspension. This resulted in a remarkably flat decay curve when measured for infectivity, and failed to provide a biological half-life

Scanning electron microscopy (SEM) imaging of SARS-CoV-2 revealed virions that were heterogenous in shape, either ovoid (Figure 3A) or spherical (Figure 3B). The minor:major axis ratio of oval-shaped virions was approximately 0.7, which is consistent with prior SEM analyses of SARS-CoV-2. Airborne SARS-CoV-2 maintained the expected morphologies, size and aspect ratios up to 16 hours. Specifically, virions aged for 10 min (Figure 3C, D) or 16 hours (Figure 3E, F) were similar in shape and general appearance to virions examined prior to aerosolization, which is consistent with the retention of replication-competence.

These data suggest that SARS-CoV-2 generally maintains infectivity when airborne over short distances, in contrast to either comparator betacoronavirus. Results of the aerosol suspension experiments suggest that SARS-CoV-2 is persistent over longer periods of time than would be expected when generated as a highly respirable particle (2 μm MMAD).

Collectively, this preliminary dataset on the aerosol efficiency and persistence of SARS-CoV-2 suggest that this virus is remarkably resilient in aerosol form, even when aged for over 12 hours, and reinforces the conclusions reached in earlier studies of aerosol fitness by others. Aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2, whether through direct respiratory droplet transfer or fomite generation, may in fact be a more important exposure transmission pathway than previously considered. Our approach of quantitative measurement of infectivity of viral airborne efficiency complemented by qualitative assessment of virion morphology leads us to conclude that SARS-CoV-2 is viable as an airborne pathogen.

I read the paper. Their test was conducted with the same size aerosols produced by normal human breathing. No one has to even cough to shed the virions.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

If you keep reading that thread that already backed it up to like 5 or 6 hours from a study by the CDC and only if it's in particles the size of .7 mircons so I don't think I would spread this around as gospel just yet.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

zer0spunk posted:

OK what is wrong with all of these officials. Is it disposable constituents week or something??

dead voters can't vote against me.jpg

e: thats the anchor in the photo, Carolyn Goodman has a very the mom from everybody loves raymond vibe. Which makes her stance even crazier, you're in a high risk group lady!

No this is good. If only more politicians would fall on their own swords.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Wendigee posted:

If you keep reading that thread that already backed it up to like 5 or 6 hours from a study by the CDC and only if it's in particles the size of .7 mircons so I don't think I would spread this around as gospel just yet.

It also feels if it was as infectious to such a degree, we would be in a way, way worse position than we are right now given how long you can be contagious with zero symptoms. The predicted r0 would be through the roof, rather than <4, which is still where I believe the upper end of the scale lies.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

It also feels if it was as infectious to such a degree, we would be in a way, way worse position than we are right now given how long you can be contagious with zero symptoms. The predicted r0 would be through the roof, rather than <4, which is still where I believe the upper end of the scale lies.

I think it's 5.7 now

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The r0 could be in literal moon units and republicans would still try to push us all into movie theaters and barber shops.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The r0 could be in literal moon units and republicans would still try to push us all into movie theaters and barber shops.

The average chud is more than willing to go out in this, look at how many people are packing into hardware stores just to hang out

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

shovelbum posted:

I think it's 5.7 now

This is the last number I heard as well but particles that small probably are not coming out of breathing.... You would need to put a liquid suspension of the virus in like a nebulizer.... I dunno just trying to stay sane.

I miss having a functional government with real news especially in times like this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

shovelbum posted:

I think it's 5.7 now

I hadn’t seen that, well that’s definitely not a good thing.

I’m lucky that only one person among my friend group has caught it so far (not confirmed but tested, can’t see it being negative) and he’s about 10 days in. In a pretty bad area too, SE Florida. Taking things seriously does make a difference it seems, funny that I’m counting down for the weekend these days just because it means I can seal myself in the house for 2 and a bit days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I really don't see the problem if chuds want to willingly jump into the virus meat grinder while at the same time causing less pollution. No one is forcing you to hang out with the death cultists.