Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Violator posted:

Does anyone manually manage song data like Genres?

I do, but I don’t use Apple Music or any other form of streaming. I do, however, have about seven genres of reggae.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Violator posted:

Does anyone manually manage song data like Genres? With Apple Music, I have a poo poo ton more songs now and browsing is becoming difficult because everything is so spread out. I don’t need five different sub genres of Raggae listed, and I don’t need an artist to have music in several genres if it’s all the same god damned stuff.
Yea, when I rebooted my library (i.e. starting from scratch and only importing music I actually listen to) I decided to actually do genres properly. I just stick the artist names in Every Noise at Once and go with what it suggests, though I now have the opposite problem to you where I only have one Synthwave genre and I probably need half a dozen.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Why does the taskbar shortcut always break after an update? (windows 10)

because it's stupid and doesn't just do an upgrade in place, it just removes everything and then generates a desktop icon/start menu folder for the new stuff

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Hahaha this has absolutely pissed me off for years.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I have iTunes Match and I also have all of my songs downloaded as local files but even so from time to time iTunes decides that my computer doesn't have the authorization to play certain songs even after I log in through the prompt. Christ almighty why is this poo poo so broken?

Bonus(?) points for Match just randomly not being able to download songs forcing me to dig up old cd's and rip and sync them again.

Rinkles posted:

It's pointless and annoying but a quick fix, thankfully (remove the shortcut, right click iTunes in the start menu -> add to taskbar.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

Does anyone manually manage song data like Genres? With Apple Music, I have a poo poo ton more songs now and browsing is becoming difficult because everything is so spread out. I don’t need five different sub genres of Raggae listed, and I don’t need an artist to have music in several genres if it’s all the same god damned stuff.

I used to manage stuff like this to keep everything easily browsable, but quit when I went streaming because I figured Apple would gently caress it somehow and do things like overwrite my changes or something over time.
Yes. I don't do streaming so all my stuff is tagged manually to a very minimal set of genres. Works fine. Apple hasn't overwritten anything, and I'll retag stuff I buy in iTunes to what I want.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I have a particularly weird problem with the Music app on Catalina (10.15.4). I am copying a library over from another computer, that itself was an upgraded library from Mojave, and I'm somewhat trying to avoid having to just start from scratch on everything (as I actually do use the "added recently..." views, along with having a bunch of star ratings I want to keep).

The library itself starts with "Keep Music Media folder organized". As well, all of my music is split by artist/albums in "~/Music/Music/Media.localized/Music", because that's what the library I'm importing from wanted everything to be.

I open Music, go into preferences, and select "Keep Music Media folder organized". It does an organization effort at that time, and moves all of my music to "~/Music/Music/Media.localized". I can go into an album and look at the info for a song, and it's correctly pointing to the new location.

I quit Music, then re-open Music, and go to that exact same album and exact same song, and it now errors because it can't find the file; when I decline to re-locate the file, it wants to find it in its original, un-organized location.

This is only happening for a handful of my albums, but it's definitely on a per-album basis, and it's consistently the same ones each time. The rest of my music collection is fine and has no issues with the update.

(If I do tell it to locate the file, and point it at the new location, it's fine, and restarting Music doesn't change it out from under me again yet)

What on Earth could be causing this—and more importantly, how do I fix this problem, as I want Music to keep my folder nice and organized? (Or do I really have to go through that half-dozen albums after the re-organization, tell it where everything is, and hope for the best the whole time)

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

So, after finding this Track CPR script to be able to quickly tell how many files in my Music library were broken (instead of spot-checking), I kept hammering at this trying to figure out what the heck.

What I found was that if I checked "Keep Music Media Folder Organized", it would then move everything. If I then—without closing Music—went to File -> Library -> Organize Library and selected both "Consolidate Files" and "Reorganize files in the folder 'Media'", it would move everything (except for some things that would be left behind?). If I then—again without closing Music—went back into Preferences, turned off "Keep Music Media Folder Organized", left Preferences, then went back into Preferences and turned it back on, it would once again move everything.

However, this time around, File -> Library -> Organize Library does not allow me to "Reorganize files in the folder 'Media'" (it claims "Your Media files are already organized into subfolders", which, thank you I guess? They always were?), but I can once again "Consolidate Files". Doing that, however, is a whole big "nothing happens".

And if I go into Preferences and unset then reset "Keep Music Media Folder Organized", it looks like it scans through everything, but leaves everything where it is. Which is ultimately a "nothing happens".

So now when I quit Music and go back in, it's once again fine. No issues. Every file found, and Music will keep everything organized, and if I consolidate stuff, it keeps it all in the same place. (This location, notably, is "~/Music/Music/Media.localized/Music", which, okay. That's where everything was to begin with so I don't get it). Even if I reboot my machine, it's fine.

I still don't understand what's going on or how that all worked. My only guess is that sooner or later Music decided to actually know where my music should canonically be, and knows how to be consistent about it. (I think the main issue is that "Reorganize files in the folder 'Media'" thing, which probably might have been tripped up on accents and special characters in folder names, I dunno?) So now everything is great, and I really just don't get it.

But it now works, so uh, thanks Music, I guess?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The basic answer here is that iTunes is fine at displaying and playing music and bad at actually managing a music collection and apparently Music is the same way

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

My suspicion is that Music is, in fact, just the iTunes app with a bunch of code deleted, instead of like, a rewrite or something like that. And I'm sure that code is an utter mess in there after all this time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
You'd think they have the resources to make decent software

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

When they made the switch from iTunes to Music, about a month later I found I had two libraries as well. Everything new was being copied to ~/Music/Music/ and the old media was at ~/Music/iTunes/ still. I had a similar problem, and it was fixed just by, in Finder, moving the files from the old folder to the new one. I may have even had iTunes running at the time, and using the Get Info panel I could see it even tracked the file path for the songs without a problem. I never got missing files that way.

Maybe go to your old computer, do that move, and then migrate your music?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just checking, you still can't sync music to your iPhone using different (Windows) computers, right? As in, if I usually sync using my desktop, I can't add music to my phone using iTunes on my laptop, correct?

I'm talking about my own music files, not music bought off their store, if that wasn't clear.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Correct. One computer only. Unless you use the Apple Music subscription.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Or the much cheaper iTunes Match

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Match is really good if your music is local and switch computers a lot. It has a ton of space to upload your music. The only downside is that sometimes there are some weird file mismatches or something and you have to delete/reupload (non-iTunes bought) music but I've had that on maybe 5 or 6 songs out of 6500+ so it's not a big deal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Since this is my device, I'd prefer to just be able to transfer whatever I want from wherever I want, without paying extra.

It's more of an issue than usual because I'm lending my desktop pc.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

IUG posted:

Album art has it's own folder in iTunes, but it seems in the Mac Music app that's not there anymore? If you're on Windows, then maybe you have an "Album Artwork" folder that you don't have permission to write to? Otherwise, I don't know where Macs store that now.

thanks
on a Mac btw. looking through the folders somehow despite Music.app being set to keep the library folder organised it seemed to somehow have stuff split across at least 3 different folders, from the old iTunes/Media, iTunes/Music and new Music structures.
and the new album art folder just seemed to be missing entirely which might explain why it couldn't write anything there.

have in the end opted for the "gently caress it" option of killing the library entirely and reimporting all MP3s to start fresh. never used ratings anyway, so don't care about losing that and last played timestamps or playcounts.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cerv posted:

thanks
on a Mac btw. looking through the folders somehow despite Music.app being set to keep the library folder organised it seemed to somehow have stuff split across at least 3 different folders, from the old iTunes/Media, iTunes/Music and new Music structures.

For some reason I was able to just move the files from the old ~/Music/iTunes/Music/ folder to ~/Music/Music Library/Music/ folder, and iTunes saw the files without any changes at all.

Also, again I have to say how stupid a name like "Music" is for an app, especially for that file path.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

IUG posted:

For some reason I was able to just move the files from the old ~/Music/iTunes/Music/ folder to ~/Music/Music Library/Music/ folder, and iTunes saw the files without any changes at all.

Also, again I have to say how stupid a name like "Music" is for an app, especially for that file path.

didn't seem to work for me :/

at some point in the last year (maybe when upgraded to Catalina & Music.app) lost nearly every track where the artist differed from the album artist, but it wasn't a compilation. like X feat Y on an album by X. track's still in the library, but the file is gone. not even found in a different folder.
I should be grateful that going throug the whole library, one letter by day, to fix weirdness like that and and delete poo poo I don't like to has given me a lockdown project

yeah it's a terrible name. and confusing whether "Music" in any part of the file path refers to the app or the general concept.
"Music Library.musiclibrary" is a funky filename too
taking all the other poo poo like moves and podcasts out of iTunes made sense, but I don't get why they didn't keep the name.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

It's actually all incredibly simple. Apple Music plays your music, either from Apple Music or from ~/Music/Music/Media/Music (as long as there's no problem with your Music Library stored at ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary). Using Apple Music for Apple Music incurs a monthly fee, or you can purchase music outright from the… iTunes Store.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

And if you’re a Luddite and decide you want to support an artist by buying their album on iTunes after you’ve already added it via Apple Music, sometimes it will help fully remove the album art for you likely due to a weird edge case!

You’ll be glad you spent that :10bux:

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
A question for anyone using Music in Big Sur: Are you able to reorder songs in the Playing Next list? According to Apple, I should be able to just drag songs within the list, but it doesn’t work for me. Instead it does this:

SaintFu fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 5, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I noticed I can't either a few days ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any idea why my undownloaded purchases aren't showing up in my library? I'm pretty sure they should be available to stream like they are on an iPhone.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
It used to be that when I plugged my iPhone into my work Windows computer in iTunes I could see the contents of my iPhone's music library and play songs from there. Now when I plug it in iTunes recognizes it but the library is empty.

I don't use any cloud matching, just regular files in my home Mac iTunes library that sync to the phone. I did some Googling but all the responses were based on either Windows or iTunes not recognizing the iPhone. That's not my issue, since it gets recognized but shows an empty device music library.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Dick Trauma posted:

It used to be that when I plugged my iPhone into my work Windows computer in iTunes I could see the contents of my iPhone's music library and play songs from there. Now when I plug it in iTunes recognizes it but the library is empty.

I don't use any cloud matching, just regular files in my home Mac iTunes library that sync to the phone. I did some Googling but all the responses were based on either Windows or iTunes not recognizing the iPhone. That's not my issue, since it gets recognized but shows an empty device music library.

If you open the phone do you get an option to Trust This Computer? That's my usual problem when plugging into a different machine and seeing no storage. Hopefully its something that simple

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've seen that prompt off and on over the years, which is why I always have my iPhone unlocked when I connect, so I can easily approve it. On Apple's site they mention resetting location and privacy settings if you think this is the source of the problem but I'm not going to erase all that just to try and fix this one thing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I just tried out the Podcasts app on Big Sur for the first time and holy lmao. As far as I can tell there is literally no way of seeing individual podcast episodes that have been downloaded but not subscribed to, and there is no way of ordering subscriptions with the newest episodes at the top. It used to revert to oldest-at-top all the time when they were still part of iTunes too; am I really the insane one for not wanting to have to scroll through ~600 past episodes of a show to look at the newest episode’s info?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Seems like the latest Windows update might be bugged and results in the "iTunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing. Please reinstall iTunes." error. Better hold off on updating just in case.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

Seems like the latest Windows update might be bugged and results in the "iTunes cannot run because some of its required files are missing. Please reinstall iTunes." error. Better hold off on updating just in case.

Anecdotal but I installed an update for 21H1 just last week (KB5005565) and iTunes still works fine over here. Nothing new when I check for updates.

This is the Windows Store version of iTunes tho

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Anecdotal but I installed an update for 21H1 just last week (KB5005565) and iTunes still works fine over here. Nothing new when I check for updates.

This is the Windows Store version of iTunes tho

Interesting, I read that people had the issue with the Windows Store version too. I got it from the Apple Update when it popped up earlier today, like I usually do. I had to manually reinstall from the previous version to get it to work again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seems to be an issue if your Windows language is set to anything other than US English

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I read that too, it would make sense in my case. I hope it's confirmed so they can fix it and also because it would be a hilarious oversight.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
This is the company that sent out an iTunes update that would erase your hard drive if it had a space in the name. You know, the company that names your boot disk "Macintosh HD" by default.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Seems to be fixed now. Just updated through the Windows app store.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's still 12.11.4 on the Apple Update thing it seems.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Okay, the Apple Update now gives 12.12.1 which seems to work.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
A friend gifted me a tv series on iTunes, and I tried to redeem it but the software said I had to accept the terms and conditions, and there is no way to do this on Windows.

Apparently this is a known problem where they just expect you to own an Apple device in order to accept the T&Cs. One solution online suggested downloading Apple Music to my phone and accepting them in that, but it hasn't worked.

Anyone by any chance found a solution to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
I’m from the uk but moved to Vietnam three years ago and it’s time to switch my apple store to the VN store.

I’ve cancelled my iTunes Match subscription as per the instructions and will sign up for apple one after I switch stores.

Is iTunes Match included with apple one or do I need to sign up separately to not lose my unmatchable songs like old band demos etc?

Help appreciated :)

EDIT MacBook Pro, iPad, iPhone and Apple TV box user