Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ah that makes sense. I am waiting till payday at the end of the month so might hold on a little to see if the pro is mentioned.

I was mainly concerened air wouldn’t be powerful enough to edit some video game captures but it seems like it should be fine for this? Mainly just stitching clips together.

Does more cpu not mean more processing. Forgive me I am insanely dumb. I’m not hugely concerened about the 2-300 cashola involved but ofc don’t wanna waste it. The upgrade cpu is 80e

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
CPU upgrades can help resell value FWIW.

All Macs are basically leased.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

EmmyOk posted:

Ah that makes sense. I am waiting till payday at the end of the month so might hold on a little to see if the pro is mentioned.

I was mainly concerened air wouldn’t be powerful enough to edit some video game captures but it seems like it should be fine for this? Mainly just stitching clips together.

Does more cpu not mean more processing. Forgive me I am insanely dumb. I’m not hugely concerened about the 2-300 cashola involved but ofc don’t wanna waste it. The upgrade cpu is 80e

I don't like to treat benchmarks (check the multi-core) as gospel but in this case they tell a pretty straightforward story. The 100 to go from the dual core i3 to the quad core i5 gets you a very nice ~30% jump compared to the base model. The 150 to go from that to the i7 gets you another jump to about 40% of the base model. That's not nothing, but that's quite the diminishing return. The CPU itself probably is, in a vacuum, enough of an upgrade to justify the price, but in the MBA with its ultracompact cooling, when you try and do anything very CPUish with it it can't maintain that performance for very long before it starts throttling. In practice, you'll only see that performance increase in full in very short bursts.

What this means in context for something like video editing is that when scrubbing around a timeline the i7 might be a bit better at keeping your preview current than the i5 but when time comes to encode you won't see much of a drop in runtime.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

4K Netflix to a 13" screen? What a waste of bandwidth tho.

Actually, that's part of the benefit. Streaming in 4K bumps you up to a much higher bitrate, and you can definitely tell the difference at smaller sizes. Even if you render out 1/4 of the pixels, they're going to be better pixels. And on top of that the high PPI display means that at least you can render out to 'retina' resolution from a 4K source, whereas you'd be upscaling a 1080p source.

4K on a phone is a waste, but at 13" I think it makes a huge difference especially when you consider the bitrate. I can definitely tell the difference.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I had to disable auto rendering, audio and video scrubbing to make Final Cut Pro work.

Also, rendering using compressor or FCP on my 2020 MBA makes it unusable.

I have until tomorrow to figure out if I’m going to return the MBA 2020 and wait for the MBP.

I guess I consider myself a “creator” more than a “consumer.”

Logic Pro X has been fine, but with lots of pops and clicks in the audio. I tried Reaper today and it was much smoother.

FCP was made workable..... but it’s not your mobile video editing platform, especially since the new 2019 MacBook pros weigh almost the exact same as the airs.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fedule posted:

I don't like to treat benchmarks (check the multi-core) as gospel but in this case they tell a pretty straightforward story. The 100 to go from the dual core i3 to the quad core i5 gets you a very nice ~30% jump compared to the base model. The 150 to go from that to the i7 gets you another jump to about 40% of the base model. That's not nothing, but that's quite the diminishing return. The CPU itself probably is, in a vacuum, enough of an upgrade to justify the price, but in the MBA with its ultracompact cooling, when you try and do anything very CPUish with it it can't maintain that performance for very long before it starts throttling. In practice, you'll only see that performance increase in full in very short bursts.

What this means in context for something like video editing is that when scrubbing around a timeline the i7 might be a bit better at keeping your preview current than the i5 but when time comes to encode you won't see much of a drop in runtime.

This helps a lot, thanks very much.

Is Final Cut Pro much better on macs than other pcs or video software on macs do you know?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do they have Final Cut Pro for non macs?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The upgraded i5 in the MBA also gets you a slightly faster version of the Iris Plus GPU.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Iris-Plus-Graphics-G4-Ice-Lake-48-EU-vs-Iris-Plus-Graphics-G7-Ice-Lake-64-EU_9869_9866.247598.0.html

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

EmmyOk posted:

This helps a lot, thanks very much.

Is Final Cut Pro much better on macs than other pcs or video software on macs do you know?

Bob Morales posted:

Do they have Final Cut Pro for non macs?

No, it’s Mac only. And it definitely runs better on Mac than Adobe Premiere which is the other big commonly used NLE

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Always hated Premiere and the fact it became so industry standard is definitely a contributing factor to why I never wanted to work in video.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

No, it’s Mac only. And it definitely runs better on Mac than Adobe Premiere which is the other big commonly used NLE

Ah cool! Sounds like MBA is the way to go folks with the i5. Very appreciative of how knowledgeable and helpful you’ve all been

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

EmmyOk posted:

Hello pals I’m trying to decide between the highest spec Air 2020 and the starter Pro 13in from 2019.

I mainly use laptops as Netflix machines but also do a bit of hobby video editing and coding. I think the air should be fine for this especially if I’m using final cut? I just hope I’m not being dumb by Saving 200e and getting the air when the low level pro would be much better.

Thanks goons

Mainly what others have said, but also don't forget the 2019 pro still has the butterfly keyboard, vs the scissor keys on the Air. The butterfly keyboard is notoriously unreliable and prone to needing repairs.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Pivo posted:

Actually, that's part of the benefit. Streaming in 4K bumps you up to a much higher bitrate, and you can definitely tell the difference at smaller sizes. Even if you render out 1/4 of the pixels, they're going to be better pixels. And on top of that the high PPI display means that at least you can render out to 'retina' resolution from a 4K source, whereas you'd be upscaling a 1080p source.

4K on a phone is a waste, but at 13" I think it makes a huge difference especially when you consider the bitrate. I can definitely tell the difference.

Sure you can tell the difference but that doesn't mean its worth while. I mean if the bandwidth is there sure. If its in contention, probably not.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hi I hate the final cut experience on the MacBook Air.

I had to disable auto rendering. Disable video scrubbing. Disable audio scrubbing to make it even passable to edit a 1h30 minute zoom recording.

If you will be doing FCP more than 3 hours a month I would avoid avoid avoid on MBA 2020.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
The 13 inch MacBook Pro refresh has been rumoured for about 6 months now.

eames
May 9, 2009

There's a twitter account that claims that Apple will launch a "new computer" in May. The codename is close to the new 13" MBA, so I have high hopes that the 13/14" MBP refresh is coming next month. He got a lot of information regarding the iPhone 9 and iPad refresh right before they were released.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

avid

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Captain Apollo posted:

Hi I hate the final cut experience on the MacBook Air.

I had to disable auto rendering. Disable video scrubbing. Disable audio scrubbing to make it even passable to edit a 1h30 minute zoom recording.

If you will be doing FCP more than 3 hours a month I would avoid avoid avoid on MBA 2020.

uhhhh if you're trying to edit a super high res 90 minute long video on a macbook air, of course it's going to have hiccups. all that stuff has to sit in ram. and you probably don't have a lot of that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I used to regularly edit 1080p videos on my 2010 4gb 11-inch air, so unless you’re doing a bunch of it all the time, eh. Just requires a little patience. :v

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Speaking of video editing, when did Quicktime Player become useful again and re-implement trimming features?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Resolve.

Is this a weird game we’re playing?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Isn’t Avid kinda price/gear-prohibitive? I remember them aggressively going after FCP users and slashing their prices when FCPX came out and everybody hated it.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

landgrabber posted:

uhhhh if you're trying to edit a super high res 90 minute long video on a macbook air, of course it's going to have hiccups. all that stuff has to sit in ram. and you probably don't have a lot of that.

Trying to edit a zoom video from my lecture in the i5 with 16gb ram. Was awful without modifications.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I went back quite a few pages but can't find it: can someone repost the link to the util that toggles turbo on an MBP? Thanks

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Trying to edit a zoom video from my lecture in the i5 with 16gb ram. Was awful without modifications.
I'll be amused if it's cause some other Zoom fuckup more than anything else. What are the specs of the video?

beefnoodle posted:

I went back quite a few pages but can't find it: can someone repost the link to the util that toggles turbo on an MBP? Thanks
Turbo Boost Switcher

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

japtor posted:

I'll be amused if it's cause some other Zoom fuckup more than anything else. What are the specs of the video?

Turbo Boost Switcher

Does this actually work? On the face of it it looks great but I'm not sure?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I'm not sure it would improve battery life. (Race to idle theory.) But it would make your Mac run cooler.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Does this actually work? On the face of it it looks great but I'm not sure?
As in disabling boost itself, or all the resultant effects of that?

Disabling boost definitely works, at least on my new i5 MBA. Intel Power Gadget shows it capped at 1.1ghz or whatever. Running cooler and longer is harder to quantify since I haven't done any empirical tests or anything.

Zoom is the closest thing I've tested it with and it does seem to help with temps...although at a certain point even when capped the heat builds up* and fans start going. I forget context exactly but that might've been the night we had like 8 people playing Jackbox, I probably had a virtual background, and had my iPad connected w/Sidecar. And maybe a USB webcam cause the built in one was too crappy for the lighting.

*manual fan control might help with this, but iStat Menus doesn't have working fan rules yet for the 2020 MBA.

~Coxy posted:

I'm not sure it would improve battery life. (Race to idle theory.) But it would make your Mac run cooler.
Yeah in terms of raw computing efficiency numbers it's probably a wash cause the battery you gain is canceled out by the longer time it takes to do stuff. In practice it might not be so clear, since for basic productivity/web stuff the performance drop might not be as noticeable (or as important) as the battery gain, or more predictable run times.

Overcast guy Marco did some tests before. On the 2015 MBP15 the battery and test he did was basically a wash (+42% battery, but 44% longer compile), but 2018 MBP13 it was +61% vs 43% longer. I'm curious how the new MBA would do.

eames
May 9, 2009

there’s an article making the rounds right now that describes how charging 15“ MBPs via the left side ports may cause high CPU load from (software-)throttling.

quote:

Ergo, high CPU usage by kernel_task is caused by high Thunderbolt Left Proximity temperature, which is caused by charging and having normal peripherals plugged in at the same time.
https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/363933

One possible explanation I’ve read is that the T2 chip/SSD controller is on the right hand side and the throttling may be there to keep its temperatures in check. Charging from the other side lets the right sensor exceed 100 Celsius.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Imagine paying $150+tax for a CF reader back in whatever before time this came from. You'd think $150 would get packaging better than a blister pack.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 23, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Imagine paying $150+tax for a CF reader back in whatever before time this came from. You'd think $150 would get packaging better than a blister pack.

Its firewire!

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That reader is probably still faster than half the lovely SD card readers out there that are connected over USB (even internal ones) and keep failing to negotiate UASP transfer modes.

eames posted:

there’s an article making the rounds right now that describes how charging 15“ MBPs via the left side ports may cause high CPU load from (software-)throttling.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/363933

One possible explanation I’ve read is that the T2 chip/SSD controller is on the right hand side and the throttling may be there to keep its temperatures in check. Charging from the other side lets the right sensor exceed 100 Celsius.

The article is a bit unscientific. CPU temps as logged are not particularly high...
Would have been nice to log CPU power and multi.
It's possible it's actually the VRM temps, and they happen to be close to whatever charging circuitry. But then that doesn't really align with the right hand side ports workaround.

eames
May 9, 2009

~Coxy posted:

The article is a bit unscientific. CPU temps as logged are not particularly high...
Would have been nice to log CPU power and multi.
It's possible it's actually the VRM temps, and they happen to be close to whatever charging circuitry. But then that doesn't really align with the right hand side ports workaround.

Did we read the same article? The hypothesis is that kernel_task forces idleness as a precaution when the Thunderbolt Left Proximity temperature sensor exceeds a certain threshold. CPU temperatures, -power or -multiplicator have nothing to do with this.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Shaocaholica posted:

If I remember right, FireWire stuff was so expensive because it required a fair amount of controller hardware in the device itself. It’s also why transfer rates were so high (for the time) and load on the host machine was less than USB. As someone who did a ton of video work 10+ years ago, I really grew to like FireWire, and sort of miss it!

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

frogbs posted:

If I remember right, FireWire stuff was so expensive because it required a fair amount of controller hardware in the device itself. It’s also why transfer rates were so high (for the time) and load on the host machine was less than USB. As someone who did a ton of video work 10+ years ago, I really grew to like FireWire, and sort of miss it!

If only you could still get a high-speed, relatively high-cost interface that provided direct memory access to the host system through a complex controller, which was adopted enthusiastically by Apple but halfheartedly by most other major PC manufacturers.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Space Gopher posted:

If only you could still get a high-speed, relatively high-cost interface that provided direct memory access to the host system through a complex controller, which was adopted enthusiastically by Apple but halfheartedly by most other major PC manufacturers.

Well when you put it that way!

I was hoping Light Peak would become a real thing but they switched away from optical and that’s how we got Thunderbolt! Boring!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
At least it's not HDI-30.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Anyone remember Apple Display Connector passing mains AC and low voltage DVI signal. Those were rad when they sparked on insertion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

frogbs posted:

Well when you put it that way!

I was hoping Light Peak would become a real thing but they switched away from optical and that’s how we got Thunderbolt! Boring!

There's still optical thunderbolt. You don't want optical, it's expensive. The fact they made it work on copper (for most things) is a good thing.