Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Need more goons - looks like we could use more tanks desto side, which is the where the main goon guild resides.

New players, if you're at all interested in melee - Chosen are super awesome and straightforward, Black Orcs are cool and good - more complicated to play, and Blackguard is cool and good too if you enjoy being a warhammer offtank (aka dragoon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Kevlar Beard posted:

desto side, which is the where the main goon guild resides.

The OP could probably use some updating to reflect that Destro is the home of goons and Order is defunct.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I did that yesterday or the day before but I'll further reiterate.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
Any decent download mirrors? Downloading the torrent and I am getting absolutely terrible rates.

Edit: well it just spiked up to 1mb and is now hanging out in the mid hundreds so its probably just being temperamental, guess ill let it run overnight.

Wayback fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 11, 2020

i need to punch
Aug 27, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ah poo poo, I missed this game and have been looking for an mmo to play during hellworld lockdown. Gonna roll a black orc and see if this game can get its hooks into me.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
lmao holy poo poo healing is so easy

just roll a zealot, spam the insta heal in scenarios and then win them all because no one can mash a button as well as you

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Goast posted:

lmao holy poo poo healing is so easy

just roll a zealot, spam the insta heal in scenarios and then win them all because no one can mash a button as well as you

Why do you think Runepriest is my favorite class, poo poo is soothing.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I find healing very soothing until I get into a scenario where our DPS can't kill anything, or our tanks aren't peeling, or multiple Witch Elves are jumping me while everyone on my team ignores them.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Peeling is annoying with pubs since a dps will stop running and fight the second a friendly shows up, and roots break quickly on damage so welp. Snares aren’t much better, so knockback is the easiest method.

Healers tend be be smarter.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Unless you are running SCs with a premade— e.g., a bunch of us chaining TV the week before last—there is a massive disparity between the SC experience and RvR experience.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Pants Donkey posted:

Peeling is annoying with pubs since a dps will stop running and fight the second a friendly shows up, and roots break quickly on damage so welp. Snares aren’t much better, so knockback is the easiest method.

Healers tend be be smarter.

Yeah -- "peeling" is probably the wrong word for it since that's not really how WAR mechanics work. The kind of stuff you want tanks to do when two Witch Elves jump on a healer is Guard swap, Challenge, throw out debuffs (or buffs if it's an IB), and hit a snare+knockback. You can't just whack 'em with a big root or stun and expect that to solve the problem.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Is "peeling" just hard CC? I'm unfamiliar with the term.

e: Or, I could just loving google it. Appears it means getting aggro.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
"There's a melee damage dealer stuck on my rear end, wish my team mates would peel them off!"

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Hello Sailor posted:

Is "peeling" just hard CC? I'm unfamiliar with the term.

e: Or, I could just loving google it. Appears it means getting aggro.

Yeah. It unsurprisingly comes from MMO PvE back when holding aggro as a tank was a challenge.

I guess I would still define what you do in WAR as "peeling", since the goal is just to make the healer an unappealing or unkillable target. Guard swapping, Challenge, debuffs, and all that other business "peel" just as well as hard CC.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Kevlar Beard posted:

Need more goons - looks like we could use more tanks desto side, which is the where the main goon guild resides.

New players, if you're at all interested in melee - Chosen are super awesome and straightforward, Black Orcs are cool and good - more complicated to play, and Blackguard is cool and good too if you enjoy being a warhammer offtank (aka dragoon)

leveled a witch elf to 15, and then created a blackguard just for fun and I'm really enjoying that more now I think.

after reading this though, I'm not sure if i made the right choice. What do you mean by offtank?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Mjolnerd posted:

leveled a witch elf to 15, and then created a blackguard just for fun and I'm really enjoying that more now I think.

after reading this though, I'm not sure if i made the right choice. What do you mean by offtank?

So Blackguard's mainly go 2H spec, unless you're in a fort scenario where you might go SnB and hold the entrance/protect ram etc. Chosen & Black Orc are more often the shield tanks, and Blackguard goes 2Hander with their insane amount of skills to debuff/snare/taunt/challenge/guard/'peel' like what is being discussed on this page. You guard a melee and stick within 30ft range of guard which is a lot smaller than you think (get the Tether add-on for a big indicator of the distance- it will go from green to red line if the person you're guarding is past 30feet), you switch your guard to a healer and peel dps off them, and you're anti-caster tank.

I like the class a lot, and I can see how once you get a hold of all your abilities and know when to use them, you're a menace to a scenario team.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

knox posted:

So Blackguard's mainly go 2H spec, unless you're in a fort scenario where you might go SnB and hold the entrance/protect ram etc. Chosen & Black Orc are more often the shield tanks, and Blackguard goes 2Hander with their insane amount of skills to debuff/snare/taunt/challenge/guard/'peel' like what is being discussed on this page. You guard a melee and stick within 30ft range of guard which is a lot smaller than you think (get the Tether add-on for a big indicator of the distance- it will go from green to red line if the person you're guarding is past 30feet), you switch your guard to a healer and peel dps off them, and you're anti-caster tank.

I like the class a lot, and I can see how once you get a hold of all your abilities and know when to use them, you're a menace to a scenario team.

okay, this all seems cool and good. I'll ask for a guild invite on discord later tonight. i like the idea of a tank that's more focused on crowd control and less on just being a damage sponge.

Thanks!

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
I'm surprised this thread isn't gaining more traction.

The game a thousand times better than it did on live, in bigger fights. It's 100% free to play, which is a bargin, since it used to be P2P AND B2P.

You also get to play all the dwarfs and stinky greenskinz.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Hook up with fellow Destro goons. Do RvR.

:frogc00l:

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Red Herring posted:

I'm surprised this thread isn't gaining more traction.

The game a thousand times better than it did on live, in bigger fights. It's 100% free to play, which is a bargin, since it used to be P2P AND B2P.

You also get to play all the dwarfs and stinky greenskinz.

I think we got a lot of traction for what the game is, a 3k population private server for a previously dead MMO. I definitely tried to pump that this poo poo has gotten much more popular recently and it's awesome time to play in variety of avenues obviously making new thread being one that seemed to help :black101: Other day we had a ~10 man warband going in RvR for few hours. Will be nice to try to pug the city with our 6+ man group and do PvE easily.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

How the gently caress did I not know this existed?? I must check this out. I played a decent amount of War from 09 through 10ish. I played a hilariously OP bright wizard mostly.

Is it pretty close to fully emulated? Sounds like the RvR is healthy but I weirdly liked the pve stuff, too. For as dull as it was there was a nice amount of flavor there.

I'll definitely pop into the discord at some point tomorrow or in the coming days. Mot like I have anything else to do.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Sankis posted:

How the gently caress did I not know this existed?? I must check this out. I played a decent amount of War from 09 through 10ish. I played a hilariously OP bright wizard mostly.

Is it pretty close to fully emulated? Sounds like the RvR is healthy but I weirdly liked the pve stuff, too. For as dull as it was there was a nice amount of flavor there.

I'll definitely pop into the discord at some point tomorrow or in the coming days. Mot like I have anything else to do.

I feel you; I guess I saw the old thread on here, but I never put much thought to it being very good even though I loved Warhammer Online beta/knew of it's potential. It's in the best state it's ever been for sure, 95% of the quests working inluding the PQs, PvE dungeons with top weapons, Solo or 6man ranked scenario queues with Season1 starting soon and new gear from it. City Sieges for the top gear set Sovereign were added 3 months ago.

Will get you into guild just ask in the discord when you're ingame.

I experienced my first PvE dungeon runs of Gunbad few times / Crypts&Tunnels this week, I can see why people loving hate it having to run it with pugs or people who cannot play very well but it's fun with coordinated effort in my opinion. Guild on Destro just starting to have enough people for full runs.

knox fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 21, 2020

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The biggest feature yet to be added is Land of the Dead, I think? It’s a pretty cool concept, a PvE dungeon that you fight over in the zone. If the other side flips it to their control, you are allowed to stay in until you die, which leads to some intense encounters.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
a pretty cool concept that's literally darkness falls from dark age of camelot, right?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yes, it is like the thing from the other game they made.

Skyfire
Jul 2, 2004

Effort post incoming, here's a few tips on leveling/cash generation that I've picked up.

Murderball RVR Cash generation / leveling

This works best if you have some form of ranged AOE in group to tag as many targets as possible.
RVR in some areas basically turns into a back and forth between either the 2 war camps or a keep and war camp. You can get easily get 25 kills during a push which can happen frequently. There are several quests you can get, let's look at Reikland for example :

Just looking at the first 3 quests, Over 3g and 40k exp for 25 kills? Yes please. I made about 40g in an hour on my 25 Black Orc for a keep defence that wasn't in any danger of being taken just doing this. Soon as you cap on a quest either die or break off from the fight to hand in, rinse repeat. When one of the 3 WAR! quests fills up, just fly out to the relevant war camp to hand in and pick up again.

Rally master quests

If you don't mind running, you can make 10-30k exp running between the different camps in a zone which takes 2-3 minutes. Most have cash bonuses as well. Typically the rally master in each camp will have a quest to travel to the next camp. This on it's own isn't much but I usually combine it with......

Epic Quests

https://wiki.returnofreckoning.com/index.php/Epic_Quests

These quest chains will typically take you running from one end of a zone to the other killing stuff and giving you a buttload of exp. When I did the T4 chaos chain, it got me about 3/4 of a level at 37. It did take a couple of hours to do, mostly due to having to kill unavoidable stuff on the way to get to some of the quests. T4 Dark Elf epic was a bit more spread out and less exp, but quicker. T4 Greenskins epic was mostly a couple of hours just running back and forth between Kadrin Valley and IC. If i'd grabbed some guild recall scrolls this would have taken half the time. You can also combine this with quests from the camps in the same area, so pick up all quests from the camps, then bin the ones you don't do at the end.

Sacellum

This is mostly for levels 15-20 but higher levels will still get decent exp rewards from handing in quests. There are about 8 different quests for at least 150k of exp in this dungeon, The main 5 quests also have follow on's which gets you the Hunter set which is solid up through the 20's.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

The biggest feature yet to be added is Land of the Dead, I think? It’s a pretty cool concept, a PvE dungeon that you fight over in the zone. If the other side flips it to their control, you are allowed to stay in until you die, which leads to some intense encounters.

Oh I didn't know that was the gameplay mechanic with Land of the Dead, sounds cool. MaxHayman who added the City Sieges 3 months ago said he has other things currently being worked on to be added on Zarbix stream other day. Think there will be a good amount of stuff added in the coming month(s).

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Started playing yesterday. What a dumb fun game. Shame about being an EA property and therefore cursed with mismanagement. This is the best world pvp in an mmo.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

EA rushed the game out for holiday 2008, two months before the most popular WoW expansion dropped. It was basically the perfect setup for WoW tourism, playing WAR for your free month and then swapping to the WoW expansion pre-patch and later the expansion itself. WAR having a lot of issues late game only helped that. It cannot be said enough how poorly optimized this game was and how many fixes they had to hack in to keep fortress battles from melting PCs.

It was also, I believe, the first big wake-up call to publishers that you can’t do what Blizzard’s publisher did and force it out early for easy money. You had to compete with WoW of the present and not the WoW of 2004. Releasing a buggy, incomplete game would not cut it.

While the cut classes got added back in before the game croaked, it also means we missed out on the remaining capital cities, as the original intent was for each pairing to have their own capitals instead of everything feeding into two cities. It would have totally changed the dynamic of the campaign.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

Started playing yesterday. What a dumb fun game. Shame about being an EA property and therefore cursed with mismanagement. This is the best world pvp in an mmo.

I've been trying to yell this at everyone.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Thanks for this. It can get rough for exp at 35+ so doing all of these helps a lot.

Also make use of your rested experience. You get double exp for PvP/PvE kills after a few days of inactivity. I have a few alts I just level with rested experience and it goes by quite fast.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this game is rad and fun play it goons

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Still salty I can't play a badass lady chosen but made a zealot and soloed the first public quest so I guess things aren't all bad.

PoorWeather
Nov 4, 2009

Don't worry, everybody has those days.
What kinda reputation do the people running this thing have? When I tried to pitch it to them, my friend told me an anecdote about how they saw someone making jokes about murdering gay people in the general chat, and then when they reported them the staff basically told her to quit being sensitive, but that apparently happened like 3 and a half years ago.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

PoorWeather posted:

What kinda reputation do the people running this thing have? When I tried to pitch it to them, my friend told me an anecdote about how they saw someone making jokes about murdering gay people in the general chat, and then when they reported them the staff basically told her to quit being sensitive, but that apparently happened like 3 and a half years ago.

I can't speak on three years ago, I do know some devs have since left and have been replaced by somewhat competent people though I still see complaints/I have first hand experience with bullshit (dev on my city siege team kind of bugged the gently caress out other day). But specifically to what your speaking on it seems they are quicker to ban people for poo poo like that than the impression your friend is giving; they banned all coronavirus discussion pretty early on, as the general chat was starting to be constant discussion on it and they didn't want it getting out of hand. I didn't want to read coronavirus opinions on my MMO private server experience so I didn't have a problem with it.

From what I've gathered from goons that have previous history with this server, it sounds like lovely devs have left and been replaced by people some good people/some who might have lovely qualities of their own but on the whole run pretty well. The population might have died down slightly from the routine 3k we were seeing at peak weekend times, but I think that's to be expected with all private server rushes. I still see ~2.6k+ on peak times, work on yo sales pitch it's good time to join game with a group of friends and queue scenarios together. Makes the experience a lot more enjoyable as previously mentioned as each archtype has true support for teammates in this game unlike others, or just group with goons we have a lot of active people now.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

PoorWeather posted:

Anecdotal evidence but I report basically every slur I see in chat (mostly the r-word but I’ve seen bundle of sticks once or twice) and all of those reports come back with at least “appropriate action was taken.”

I’ve had a few other reports (usually just someone being a bit of a dickhead when I was tilted) come back with “not a violation” so I know it’s not just their blanket response to everything.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

ignore me

nyclin fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 27, 2020

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
unlocked a hidden class. dont worry she is wearing pasties.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Have they fixed most of the quests yet? I'm always down for some RvR obv, but one of the things I really liked about this game was also the weird side story bullshit. They really nailed the feel of Fantasy.

Previously when you'd turn in a quest you'd just get the quest acceptance text again. Have they finally pulled the original end quest stuff?

Going to try and get my buddy into this as well. I assume we are Destro? Time to get my Shaman back in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
I havent had any issues with quests not working, I went through and farmed a whole bunch of PQ's and regular quests and have had no real issues.