Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Cuck Schumer wheeling and dealing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That headline has been going around and I really disagree with it.

The issue is that Congress left town (you can debate the merits on that) after the hypermassive CARES I. Congress still isn't really in town, so any chance of anything passing is based on Unanimous Consent.

If you throw in those (important) things, you immediately lose UC and nothing happens in the Senate. Meanwhile, the Paycheck fund for businesses, though hosed up, stays empty. That fund, the Paycheck Protection Program, is the one thing you really don't want going dry right now, as we're a hosed-up country that ties health insurance to employment.

The next big, regular package is CARES II. That package will not require UC, as it will be a regular bill. If *that* package doesn't get states/cities/elections/bailout protections/oversight involved, it's a Democratic failing. Right now, the activist/twitter wing is thinking that this bill, that needed UC, is the last train out of Congress, and it just isn't. It probably wasn't the place to screech everything to a halt unless you got big Democratic policy items either. Democrats still care about the operation of government / functioning of society and it's kind of a weakness.

maffew buildings posted:

It's loving incredible, like, do they not understand at all what's happening or just think this is not that big a deal or what? The outcome of loving up getting "back to normal" could crush us completely and is super real, but like...I mean I'm all crack pinged out man. What the gently caress?

It's a death cult and the speaker never thinks that the death will come to them.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

You know, when Morgan Freeman said "Get busy living, or get busy dying" in The Shawshank Redemption, I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.

I mean the problem the Democrats have consistently faced is that Trump and most members of his administration are far too deluded and/or insane to recognize the need for long-term solutions, and Mitch McConnell absolutely refuses to do anything to put pressure on the White House. So while the Democrats should have the leverage to force changes to a must-pass bill, they don't because the Republicans are happy to play chicken with both the economy and people's lives rather than provide even mild concessions. Like, hell, the fact that the Democrats have to fight at all just to get funding for testing is completely insane.

e: also what facialimpediment said

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 21, 2020

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Stop giving Republicans exactly what they want while getting watered down compromises and vague promises to address this later (they won't).

Of course, this is assuming the Democrats actually want to do those things, they don't. The corporate welfare streams through unchecked and they just say "well we tried"

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
oh man all this political capital schumer has by now must be worth something!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
"We've agreed to give everything the Republicans have asked for, for unspecified and vague reasons."

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Acebuckeye13 posted:

You know, when Morgan Freeman said "Get busy living, or get busy dying" in The Shawshank Redemption, I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.

I mean the problem the Democrats have consistently faced is that Trump and most members of his administration are far too deluded and/or insane to recognize the need for long-term solutions, and Mitch McConnell absolutely refuses to do anything to put pressure on the White House. So while the Democrats should have the leverage to force changes to a must-pass bill, they don't because the Republicans are happy to play chicken with both the economy and people's lives rather than provide even mild concessions. Like, hell, the fact that the Democrats have to fight at all just to get funding for testing is completely insane.

Not just happy to play chicken, a substantial part of their base wants to play chicken with the economy. Rand Paul may be an outlier in the Senate, but his opinions are not outliers in the GOP's electorate. Unfortunately, Rand Paul's still an outlier in the Senate, so Mitch McConnell has 0 reason to court senate Dems to votes to counter GOP defections. Dems flat out don't have any leverage in the Senate.

Them not using the media to poo poo on the GOP for holding this up is all on them though. Their messaging has been poo poo throughout this whole process. Put your hard lines in the sand, and sell that message. Stand your ground.
"We will not support the Republicans using this national crisis to enrich their billionaire friends on the coffins of the workers of this country."
GOP & Fox gonna vilify you no matter what you do, might as well look like you're showing some backbone for your electorate.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

The dems are toothless garbage but the alternative is worse

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

It's loving incredible, like, do they not understand at all what's happening or just think this is not that big a deal or what? The outcome of loving up getting "back to normal" could crush us completely and is super real, but like...I mean I'm all crack pinged out man. What the gently caress?

They're utterly detached from reality. Every last one of them. It's mental illness writ large

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Nancy Pelosi wanted to do targeted tax breaks for high earners and then peaced out a month so she could brag about her expensive ice cream storage solutions to late night TV. Trump every day talks about the economy and brags about stimulus. There was leverage, they aren't fighting.

Let's get falsifiable: what actions could Pelosi take in the future that would convince you she does or does not care about the working class? I really doubt a month and a half ago you would have predicted they'd go on recess immediately or agree to these bills with few/no concessions, even though now it's totally obvious, they had no other choice etc

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Best Friends posted:

Nancy Pelosi wanted to do targeted tax breaks for high earners and then peaced out a month so she could brag about her expensive ice cream storage solutions to late night TV. Trump every day talks about the economy and brags about stimulus. There was leverage, they aren't fighting.

Let's get falsifiable: what actions could Pelosi take in the future that would convince you she does or does not care about the working class? I really doubt a month and a half ago you would have predicted they'd go on recess immediately or agree to these bills with few/no concessions, even though now it's totally obvious, they had no other choice etc

The people who tried to point out this would happen have been banned for being nuts.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

McNally posted:

Looks to me like the pastor was playing chicken with a pedestrian. And lost.

I think the protestor successfully called his bluff.

Speaking of, I just stumbled across the Jim Bakker Show and I'm watching it ironically. He just got done saying that God let 9/11 happen because Americans are sinners.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Speaking of, I just stumbled across the Jim Bakker Show and I'm watching it ironically. He just got done saying that God let 9/11 happen because Americans are sinners.

He's not wrong. If America really followed Jesus' teachings there wouldn't have been giant monuments to capitalism to smash in the first place.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Best Friends posted:

What exactly do you want me to say here? What are you trying to prove?

I look at the political situation, with the information available to me, and try and evaluate it from there. I don't watch cable news or most late night shows, so maybe I lose what people are or aren't doing in the media—but I also suspect that most posters in this thread don't exactly have CNN on in the background constantly either, so I feel that either of us arguing about what the democrats should or should not be saying or doing based entirely on what we think they're doing from video clips on twitter is a little farcical. (Though hey, maybe I'm just projecting here, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

From what I see, the Republicans were laser-focused on passing this particular bill to provide funding for the paycheck protection program. They wanted a bunch of money for the fund, and that was it. The Democrats tried to fight to add additional things to the bill, and were partly successful in adding some very important things, including money for testing. The Republicans have tried to frame the Democratic refusal to merely roll over as playing partisan politics with people's lives, but also aren't so concerned about those lives to actually give in to the no-brainer provisions the Democrats were fighting to add.

So yeah, I don't think the Democrats had a lot of leverage, regardless of what you think Nancy Pelosi should or should not have said on whatever late night show she was on. And it's insane they haven't figured out a way to do remote voting, though with McConnell controlling the Senate it's unlikely they would have come back any earlier anyway, regardless of what the Dems passed.

Anyway, here's a statement from Schumer and Pelosi on the bill.

https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/status/1252719326416842752?s=20

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Milo and POTUS posted:

They're utterly detached from reality. Every last one of them. It's mental illness writ large

Funnily enough, what the GOP and Republicans say about democrats/leftists.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
if every policy you argue about that helps people comes down to 'how do you pay for it', perhaps you do have some sort of mental illness.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The Republicans have tried to frame the Democratic refusal to merely roll over as playing partisan politics with people's lives, but also aren't so concerned about those lives to actually give in to the no-brainer provisions the Democrats were fighting to add.

So the republicans wanted this bill very badly, and were afraid democrats would impede it...but the dems did not have leverage? That's not how negotiations work. The most you can say is that dems were not willing to use that leverage, in which case, we are agreed. They didn't fight and did not even consider actually fighting, which would have involved credibly threatening to not vote for this bill.

What I see from your posts I see skillful and earnest post-hoc justifications that are all built on the assumption that the democrats are doing their best. I sympathize because I was a dedicated blue door knocking trooper with similar pretzel twisting justifications, until I finally hit middle age and realized it was all for nothing, that all the "aw sucks we'll get em next times" were lies. I don't know what's next since the dem party leadership is captured by reactionary business and wealthy interests and third parties aren't feasible. but, I know Pelosi and Schumer are not my allies.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
theyre all loving power hungry ghouls who live in a bubble and dont care what the average person goes through. the system demands it

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Best Friends posted:

So the republicans wanted this bill very badly, and were afraid democrats would impede it...but the dems did not have leverage? That's not how negotiations work. The most you can say is that dems were not willing to use that leverage, in which case, we are agreed. They didn't fight and did not even consider actually fighting, which would have involved credibly threatening to not vote for this bill.

I think you misread my post—they wanted the bill to put more money into the payroll protection loans, but not enough to entertain more than a handful of Democratic demands. As it stood they were willing to sit on the bill for several days while the fund ran bone dry—which also put more pressure on the Dems, because they also wanted the bill passed and knew how bad the consequences would be for waiting too long.

quote:

What I see from your posts I see skillful and earnest post-hoc justifications that are all built on the assumption that the democrats are doing their best. I sympathize because I was a dedicated blue door knocking trooper with similar pretzel twisting justifications, until I finally hit middle age and realized it was all for nothing, that all the "aw sucks we'll get em next times" were lies. I don't know what's next since the dem party leadership is captured by reactionary business and wealthy interests and third parties aren't feasible. but, I know Pelosi and Schumer are not my allies.

uh, thanks, I guess???

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Turns out, the cities will have a say in the creation of expanded vote-by-mail and no-excuse absentee voting.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1252713965739634689

I bet the whole state goes vote-by-mail and even the dumbfucks in the Wisconsin legislature pass it. Can't have just the cities voting by mail!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Personal finance alert :frogsiren:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/g5hvm5/annualcreditreportcom_is_now_offering_free_weekly/

Check your credit, all 3 services for free, as much as weekly!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Best Friends posted:

The original GOP bill was $250 billion just for the PPP. Dems got that up to $310 billion, including a doubling of the EIDL grants to $20 billion, a new $75 billion fund for HHS grants to health providers dealing with this, an additional $25 billion for specifically for testing, and another $50 billion for SBA loans. "Not fighting" got $100 billion for health care support and an additional $110 billion for small business support.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/21/politics/read-congressional-bill-to-help-small-businesses/index.html

Could they have fought for more? Sure. Would they have gotten it? Probably not. Why? Because there is a large enough contingent in the GOP electorate and party apparatus that doesn't support any kind of bailouts or support whatsoever. For as dumb and bad as the Dems are, they're negotiating with a death cult at the federal level. The GOP flat out doesn't care if their electorate lives or dies, and their electorate will still support them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brute Squad posted:

The original GOP bill was $250 billion just for the PPP. Dems got that up to $310 billion, including a doubling of the EIDL grants to $20 billion, a new $75 billion fund for HHS grants to health providers dealing with this, an additional $25 billion for specifically for testing, and another $50 billion for SBA loans. "Not fighting" got $100 billion for health care support and an additional $110 billion for small business support.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/21/politics/read-congressional-bill-to-help-small-businesses/index.html

Could they have fought for more? Sure. Would they have gotten it? Probably not. Why? Because there is a large enough contingent in the GOP electorate and party apparatus that doesn't support any kind of bailouts or support whatsoever. For as dumb and bad as the Dems are, they're negotiating with a death cult at the federal level. The GOP flat out doesn't care if their electorate lives or dies, and their electorate will still support them.

But... but... all the cool kids say that the Dems are bad and nothing matters.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What did Rand Paul's neighbor do?

I'd also like to thank everyone in this thread for their posts and how they explain stuff. I'm a political dummy, and you guys breaking a lot of it down and making it easy to understand is really great.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Kicked his rear end a couple of years ago

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/15/us/politics/rand-paul-attack.html

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

What did Rand Paul's neighbor do?

not enough

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

But... but... all the cool kids say that the Dems are bad and nothing matters.

Good thing I've never been cool.

*puts on shades, pokes self in eye instead*
*tries to kick flip a skateboard, just breaks it in two*

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

I was going to probably effortpost again, but you caught a fuckin slow breaking ball and knocked it the gently caress out of the park. :toot:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm whiplashing hard between whether this is a bad bill that gosh darn the dems just had to sign or if this was legislative genius but either way it's good to know this is a great bill a/o a bad one that couldn't be avoided. Sounds like they've earned another month vacation.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Try reading more than a headline. Like the article or what others have posted. Cause I'm pretty sure nobody but you has been saying those things. It's a bandaid bill that covered necessary support to businesses for payroll that the dems were able to get some additional concessions on for health care that they are able to push through with UC. Sometimes things can just be mediocre. There's plenty of better reasons to poo poo on the dems for stuff than this mediocre bill.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basically Congress isn't in session right now and money needed to get into the funds to continue paying people who are currently out of work and the small business program to cover small businesses that have no business.

Democrats could have very well sat on this in a staring contest with the GOP beyond the run-out date on funds, but how long would the American people last when the poo poo they're relying on to somewhat make ends meet runs out? I guarantee you the soulless fuckers in the GOP can hold their breath longer than the entirety of the rest of the country in order to cause the government to completely collapse. They're a loving death cult and if they kill the country in order to own the libs they'll consider it a worthwhile sacrifice.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/justicedems/status/1252781246360489989?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
She's not wrong! Congress is incredibly reactive, not proactive, and we could really, really use some proactive measures. I just don't know what should be done when you have a weeping wound and one side starts by asking for a doctor, the other side only offers a machete and a blowtorch, and you eventually get a half-used roll of gauze.

Btw, a 3.6 in California:

https://twitter.com/sthor97/status/1252856115525586946?s=19

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/GovKemp/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

I guess the Gates foundation, the WHO, and a virology lab in Wuhan had a bunch of peoples’ logon information stolen so the quack jobs on twitter are having a normal one this morning.

I guess they are diversifying and not just blaming Soros for everything :shrug:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Woofer posted:

I guess the Gates foundation, the WHO, and a virology lab in Wuhan had a bunch of peoples’ logon information stolen so the quack jobs on twitter are having a normal one this morning.

I guess they are diversifying and not just blaming Soros for everything :shrug:

They weren't hacked, it's past breaches from other companies they made to look like those places for attention.

https://twitter.com/nicoleperlroth/status/1252819365772197894?s=19

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

It is absolutely critical that the state of Georgia get its bowling alleys up and running as soon as they can.

People's livelihoods are on the line, Gov Kemp.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

US Berder Patrol posted:

It is absolutely critical that the state of Georgia get its bowling alleys up and running as soon as they can.

People's livelihoods are on the line, Gov Kemp.

Right but

https://twitter.com/govkemp/status/1252339589047480325?s=21

So I’m really not understanding the logic.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Woofer posted:

Right but

https://twitter.com/govkemp/status/1252339589047480325?s=21

So I’m really not understanding the logic.

Bowling alleys are wholesome, but alcohol bars invite the devil

That's my guess, but in fairness I am not sure if there is any rationale at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Must have friends, donors or family who run bowling alleys etc, and not any who own a bar.