Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If the death rate in care homes is as high as being suggested by some figures, given the elderly's vulnerability to the virus, I guess you have to assume a much higher proportion of the general population have already had Corona and just either been asymptomatic or had a relatively mild experience.

It's in my grandpa's care home (80 residents) and 3 have it confirmed with 1 death so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zhar
May 3, 2019

Barry Foster posted:

Is it ok that I'm finding myself having to actively not think of the new figures as anything more than A Number? It worries me that I've been doing that for awhile now.

It's pretty much how I cope, because I started this whole thing actively worrying about/vividly imagining the plight of the victims and their families and it was making me a mess.

But that is also how tories and capitalists think

EDIT like, I feel like I should be way more upset about today's news, but I kinda saw it coming anyway

When it comes to large numbers, it seems to be how people in general think. There's even a term for it, the collapse of compassion.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

zhar posted:

When it comes to large numbers, it seems to be how people in general think. There's even a term for it, the collapse of compassion.

I don't want my compassion to collapse (more than it already has though) :smith:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Barry Foster posted:

as if brits regret the empire

'We regret that you feel this way'

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

If the death rate in care homes is as high as being suggested by some figures, given the elderly's vulnerability to the virus, I guess you have to assume a much higher proportion of the general population have already had Corona and just either been asymptomatic or had a relatively mild experience.

Not... really, no. Any care home - any situation where a lot of people are living in the same space, from prisons to cruise ships - will have an infection rate of either 0% or rapidly approaching 100%, regardless of the infection rate in the outside world.

I'm sure the better homes have been able to do some kind of distancing, with residents staying in their rooms as much as possible, but you still need carers moving between the rooms, often performing intimate care - without fully disposable PPE and full sterilisation of everything that comes out of one of the rooms, it's going to spread. The worse ones will probably be fully infected before the first case is symptomatic.

Between that and the fact that staff are often agency so are moving between homes, and the lack of PPE, the infection rate of the population in care homes is almost certainly considerably higher than that of the general population. The only thing the outside world infection rate affects is the speed with which you get your first case, and that's something that is going to have a shitload of noise in it.

From a couple of stories it seems like the actual death rate in (elder care) homes when they get hit is way higher than even the ~7% for over-85s which would make sense as it's a population that's going to have even higher comorbidities than even the general over-85 population. If you assume 15% - probably still low - then working backwards from the 400k people in care that's only about a 30% infection rate if you assume all of the excess deaths the FT have identified are in care homes (which they're not).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
All public events in the netherlands including football banned until september.

https://twitter.com/JDNalton/status/1252649529071079428

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

jackhunter64 posted:

Stadiums are a decent analogy. The official figures would fill Carlisle United's ground, whereas that FT report is more like Stamford Bridge with a corpse in every seat. Good morning!

Wembley Stadium seats 90000 as another Stadium measure. (It is possible I have been beaten to this as I am 3 pages behind).

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Barry Foster posted:

Is it ok that I'm finding myself having to actively not think of the new figures as anything more than A Number? It worries me that I've been doing that for awhile now.

It's pretty much how I cope, because I started this whole thing actively worrying about/vividly imagining the plight of the victims and their families and it was making me a mess.

But that is also how tories and capitalists think

EDIT like, I feel like I should be way more upset about today's news, but I kinda saw it coming anyway
There is really no benefit to staying up-to-date with all the latest numbers on this situation. That's true most of the time but especially so now. Turn off the news, it's not helping you or anybody else to stress out about it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Care homes are closed environments where the at risk residents can't do social distancing at the best of times. Also their workers are essential, they're still coming in. Once it gets in it's going to spread through the high density elderly population and kill a lot of them.

Outside of putting all of the elderly into one giant care home on an island somewhere you couldn't create a much better system for killing them with disease.

Barry Foster posted:

I don't want my compassion to collapse (more than it already has though) :smith:

There's a difference between someone actively working to kill people because they can't conscience the possibilty that their actions have consequences, and you just trying to keep your head above water mentally.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

justcola posted:

Death stats - the government is saying the equivalent of everyone in Truro has died, when its more like all of Salisbury.

So what are you saying? That those two Russian tourist guys with their bottle of poison are responsible?

(Joking btw)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
It's looking increasingly likely that 2020 as a year is a write off

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

It's in my grandpa's care home (80 residents) and 3 have it confirmed with 1 death so far.

A friend's father is in a care home in I think he said Hertfordshire and in March three had already died from it.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The bright blue is a legal requirement for airsoft guns if you don't have an exemption certificate - the ammo in the picture I've seen looked like .22, so probably starter pistol blanks.

Forgive the pedantry, but they’re almost certainly 8mm or 9mm rimmed blanks, given that he’s shooting them from a semi-auto blank firer (evidently a top venting one judging by the picture of it mid shot. So entirely legal- I have several of them knocking around the house).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

TACD posted:

There is really no benefit to staying up-to-date with all the latest numbers on this situation. That's true most of the time but especially so now. Turn off the news, it's not helping you or anybody else to stress out about it.

OwlFancier posted:

There's a difference between someone actively working to kill people because they can't conscience the possibilty that their actions have consequences, and you just trying to keep your head above water mentally.

true say.

Ash Crimson posted:

That's how I'm thinking of it, tbh. There was a really good effort post in either USPOL or coronathread about antarctic researchers not being given a set end date for their tour, 'cause the weather down there is very changeable and having to miss your leaving time by weeks or months is psychologically devastating. That's where I'm at

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not... really, no. Any care home - any situation where a lot of people are living in the same space, from prisons to cruise ships - will have an infection rate of either 0% or rapidly approaching 100%, regardless of the infection rate in the outside world.

Reality doesn't seem to support this hypothesis.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ash Crimson posted:

Camrath posted:

Forgive the pedantry, but they’re almost certainly 8mm or 9mm rimmed blanks, given that he’s shooting them from a semi-auto blank firer (evidently a top venting one judging by the picture of it mid shot. So entirely legal- I have several of them knocking around the house).
You can get .22 blanks for starting pistols and some nail guns, but yeah they're all centerfire cartridges so probably 8mm.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What possible reason could you have for a semi automatic blank firing gun?

When do you need to make a lot of noise repeatedly at short notice?

Don't you need to specifically adjust the gun to make it cycle with blanks in? I would have thought they'd stick to revolvers or single shot guns for most applications.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 22, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Stage and screen, reenactments, training, clearing birds non-lethally.

They're completely separate guns to any normal one (barrel plugged, straight blowback, vented barrel) and bad things will happen if you try using non-blanks in them.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Guavanaut posted:

You can get .22 blanks for starting pistols and some nail guns, but yeah they're all centerfire cartridges so probably 8mm.

You can indeed- but those are overwhelmingly revolvers. (Again, I have a pile of them in my cowboy kit box under my bed)

Tbh looking at this incident it screams ‘suicide by cop’. Rare for me to praise the filth, but good on them for taking the guy alive. Hope he gets the help he obviously needs.

Edit: Yeah, as Guavanaut said. I’ve got a few revolvers and an automatic that I use for filmsim LARP.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

Not a very good picture, so it's difficult to tell, but you can get airsoft guns that eject brass 'cases' in the name of realism. The cartridges are a hollow tube, with the BB slotted into the end, and the pistol uses co2 to eject them. No idea why somebody would want one, as the cartridges are expensive as hell, and finding them all afterwards would be a nightmare.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

well at least my grandma in a care home died last year, getting out early to avoid the rush

she may well be the last member of my family to get to die with family for a while

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ash Crimson posted:

I'm starting to regret dunking on the pedants pointing out that the new decade technically begins in 2021.

I started the year by getting a hernia, then being signed off from work with stress, but I wanted to start the new decade strong, so I decided it didn't matter, that I'd get those two things sorted and hit the rest of the year fresh.

So I did get them sorted, exactly in time for quarantine to start. I had the hernia surgery on a Friday and lockdown was announced for Monday.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Props I get, and birds I guess make sense, it's just surprising that people would actually go out and make semi auto blank guns or that they'd be legal in the UK. Would have thought they'd constitute too much of a risk of being turned into actual firearms by boring out the barrel or something.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Communist Thoughts posted:

well at least my grandma in a care home died last year, getting out early to avoid the rush

she may well be the last member of my family to get to die with family for a while

Took part in a funeral over zoom yesterday for my grandma who died a couple of weeks ago due to old age and it was weird since there was no ceremony so it was my aunt and uncle at the grave while people who'd logged in talked about her

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

Props I get, and birds I guess make sense, it's just surprising that people would actually go out and make semi auto blank guns or that they'd be legal in the UK. Would have thought they'd constitute too much of a risk of being turned into actual firearms by boring out the barrel or something.

Do that and you’re most likely to blow your own hand off. Blank firers are made from really cheap metal (mostly die-cast iiirc) as they don’t have to contain anywhere near the pressure of an actual firearm. Also the barrels on nearly all the ones you’ll see are solid single pieces, with the gas venting through a hole in the top (for autos) or through the cylinder gap for revolvers.

As an example I had to do some work on one of my revolvers recently to stop cases sticking in the cylinder. Reamed it out with a pen-knife to provide a little more play. Try doing that on a real steel revolver and you might scratch the bluing a little, not gouge out visible amounts of metal.

Oh and you do need a legal exemption under the VCRA to purchase them- mine falls under reenactment/theatrical use, and I’m a member of an organisation that provides legal backing to said exemption.

Camrath fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 22, 2020

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

They're pretty much a toy or a film prop, and none of these are manufactured in the UK. They're built in such a way as to make converting the to fire live rounds prohibitively difficult to impossible. Even if you could get them to accept live rounds or hotloaded blanks, anyone trying to fire them would be picking bits of the gun out of their hand and face.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I might be thinking of those russian "rubber bullet" guns.

Which granted is still dangerous but probably more practical than what you're describing of the blank guns.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

OwlFancier posted:

I might be thinking of those russian "rubber bullet" guns.

Yeah those things are dodge as gently caress and illegal over here.

Tbh if you had the tooling needed to turn a blank firers into a real gun you’d be better served by finding the schematics for a Sten gun or equivalent and making that. It’d be cheaper and easier. And certainly safer.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Bad time to have my wisdom teeth decide to start growing again and play merry hell

Love to be completely incapable of biting food without also chewing the inside of my cheeks

E: I swear to god they have been growing a few mm at a time intermittently for what feels like years, just come through and impact or don't so that I can either get used to them or have them pulled and I can stop getting bloody teething pain as a 30 year old man.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 22, 2020

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

seems a bit daft to wander around your fields firing a pretend gun to scare birds away. dont farmers still use bird bangers? Or perhaps some kind of stuffed mannequin on a broom handle.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A crying shame that they abandoned british innovation and stopped using the patented box full of shotgun shells with a clock in it that fired one into the air every hour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnvzgCzgV9k

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 22, 2020

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

It's hard to really comprehend deaths in the thousands, millions - I can't even look at a picture of more than 12 dots or so and aware of how many there are besides 'a lot'.

If it makes you feel any better though, just think of all the people you know, worked with, chatted to, people in films, on the internet, then imagine them all being dead. It's still nowhere near the number of casualties but it starts putting things into perspective and a reminder that the Tories did gently caress all about it.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

kecske posted:

seems a bit daft to wander around your fields firing a pretend gun to scare birds away. dont farmers still use bird bangers? Or perhaps some kind of stuffed mannequin on a broom handle.

Farmers tend to have shotguns for that job.

Blank firers are more used in areas where you can’t safely lob ounces of lead shot into the sky. Airports for example.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

justcola posted:

If it makes you feel any better though, just think of all the people you know, worked with, chatted to, people in films, on the internet, then imagine them all being dead.

It does not make me feel any better.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

It's usually airstrips or microlight centres that use the blank firing semi-autos, because you don't need a shotgun permit and you're not likely to hurt anyone or damage anything.

Firing a pyrotechnic device from a shotgun is also technically illegal as an explosive round. Not sure if anyone really cares about that for bird bombs, but probably a poor idea where you have fuel tanks and small planes coming in to land and so on.

efb

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Camrath posted:

Farmers tend to have shotguns for that job.

Blank firers are more used in areas where you can’t safely lob ounces of lead shot into the sky. Airports for example.

I'd have imagined farmers had more important things to do than idle about shooting into the sky like it's a Kazakh wedding. Sourcing migrant fruit pickers, for example

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what the clock gun is for.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jose posted:

Took part in a funeral over zoom yesterday for my grandma who died a couple of weeks ago due to old age and it was weird since there was no ceremony so it was my aunt and uncle at the grave while people who'd logged in talked about her

When my sister-in-law died in 2011 several of us couldn't attend for various reasons (revolution for me, carers or disabilities for others), so I got a copy of the order of service in advance and some of the homilies and set up a chat room with youtubes of the hymns and shared the various prayers and hymns at similar rate to the proper service. It worked out pretty well, the people in church were told that we were honouring her simultaneously, and we felt part of it. (Instead of the main homilie from the vicar we shared a few words each on how we knew her and a good memory.)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Do that and you’re most likely to blow your own hand off. Blank firers are made from really cheap metal (mostly die-cast iiirc) as they don’t have to contain anywhere near the pressure of an actual firearm. Also the barrels on nearly all the ones you’ll see are solid single pieces, with the gas venting through a hole in the top (for autos) or through the cylinder gap for revolvers.

As an example I had to do some work on one of my revolvers recently to stop cases sticking in the cylinder. Reamed it out with a pen-knife to provide a little more play. Try doing that on a real steel revolver and you might scratch the bluing a little, not gouge out visible amounts of metal.

There's one model of starter pistol that was very easily converted to *reliably* fire .22 rimfire (also getting around the ammo availability problem) that was very popular with the scrotes in the 90s and early 00s. Obviously it was only the little target shooting rounds, so you pretty much had to be at point-blank range to kill someone (and even then it was a tossup - my neighbour's ex-husband got shot with one twice at point-blank range - one round bounced off his skull, and one went through his cheek and broke a couple of teeth).

Of course since they formed UK BORDER FORCE and told them to keep the forrins out, gutting the HMRC teams that used to inspect incoming cargo containers, huge amounts of proper guns and ammo have flooded the market, another triumph of Keeping Britane Safe by David Blunkett (although now I think of it it might have been Jacqui Smith, but it certainly feels like a Blunkett policy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

I'd have imagined farmers had more important things to do than idle about shooting into the sky like it's a Kazakh wedding. Sourcing migrant fruit pickers, for example
Judging by some of the fields in the distance around where I've been taking my weekend long walk, they're doing plenty of wandering around shooting at something.