Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
After a tweet Bill Mitchell made earlier today where he showed he doesn't understand what an average is, he may just be the dumbest man on Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Flesh Forge posted:

I hear you, I have a lot of bad thoughts about this stuff myself :shrug:
e: :confuoot:

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/1252597159486263297

No Soros?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Bill Gates has dethroned Soros as the wealthy bogeyman behind the scenes (this is less RWM and more pure wackadoo)

https://twitter.com/usahackers/status/1252654398888644609

https://twitter.com/ISCResearch/status/1252645750602948609

https://twitter.com/MeditationforF1/status/1252518875977134082

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Haploid baby parts, actually.
Because Bill Gates jerks off into each and every vaccine.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

That explains the "Arrest Bill Gates" yard sign I saw at random a few days ago. God, there really is no bottom, is there? You'd think the internet and the availability of information that you can Google in seconds would have made us slightly smarter but instead we have a resurgence of flat earthers and dumb poo poo like Qanon and Loose Change

The internet was a mistake. One might say "the internet makes you stupid"

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

That explains the "Arrest Bill Gates" yard sign I saw at random a few days ago. God, there really is no bottom, is there? You'd think the internet and the availability of information that you can Google in seconds would have made us slightly smarter but instead we have a resurgence of flat earthers and dumb poo poo like Qanon and Loose Change

This would've and was perpetuated without the internet, the internet just speeds the feedback loop.

Their demagogues are convincing them that democrats and anyone left of outright neonazis want to kill children and drink adrenaline from their blood. If you believed that, hell if you believed abortion was murder of innocent little cherubrim, truly believed, what line would be too far to save the widdle babies?

The end goal is nothing less than murder. And for what? So they can create a captive market to sell gold and boner pills.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

more info on the astroturfing of some of that anti quarantine protest stuff:

https://twitter.com/wpjenna/status/1252922514382217216

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

BiggerBoat posted:

You could use the internet to find different views and ideas compared to what you nominally have, but that requires you to want to in the first place

You could also use the internet to reinforce your beliefs and make you feel even more justified in having them, as well as further vilifying your enemies.

The latter is a lot easier than the former.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1251670127944232963

Nobody is dying of covid-19 you guys, the American death rate is just inexplicably skyrocketing 10,000%, probably nothing.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
If your faith in your god can be terminally shaken by not being able to gather in a large meeting space to worship said god, find a new god

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The ‘Bill Gates was hacked and these emails reveal a massive conspiracy’ is the trending topic right now on Twitter in the US

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

If your faith in your god can be terminally shaken by not being able to gather in a large meeting space to worship said god, find a new god

The only god in the US is Mammon and his symbol is a megachurch tithe envelope.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Munin posted:

The only god in the US is Mammon and his symbol is a megachurch tithe envelope.

We’ve got the American Jesus

See him on the interstate

He helped build the president’s estate.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

We’ve got the American Jesus

See him on the interstate

He helped build the president’s estate.

one nation. under god.
one nation. under god.
one nation. under god.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

The ‘Bill Gates was hacked and these emails reveal a massive conspiracy’ is the trending topic right now on Twitter in the US

Proof a hundred thousand twitter bots and one bad actor can irreparably harm public discourse.

I take it back, internet was a mistake.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

heh the @usahackers account has been suspended but the damage is already done, good job internet

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Taerkar posted:

You could use the internet to find different views and ideas compared to what you nominally have, but that requires you to want to in the first place

You could also use the internet to reinforce your beliefs and make you feel even more justified in having them, as well as further vilifying your enemies.

The latter is a lot easier than the former.

So is discretion and skepticism. For all the talk about how The Media lies to you all the time, they seem perfectly willing to accept the findings of an anonymous weirdo named "Q" who posts nothing but gibberish and non credentialed You Tube weirdos going on about underground pizza parlor kid raping basements. FOX and talk radio are accepted at face value merely by being on TV and the radio.

I think it starts with not liking truths that most reputable news organizations write, which are vetted, fact checked, sourced, edited and (at least used to) have a minimum of journalistic standards to meet before publication. So it then becomes quite tempting, when those realities, say, embarrass someone who voted for a person with those uncomfortable truths being told. Rather than self reflect, they'll seek alternatives that simply tell them what they want to hear or otherwise offer some different explanation.

America can't be bad or do any wrong. The guy I voted for can't be a criminal. The bible MUST be true.

The first step was convincing these people that responsible reporters can't be trusted of believed, which creates a vacuum and need for an alternative. Because these people, in my experience, tend to think in largely binary terms, then whatever that other thing they've settled on as a source of information must be true sine the other one is false. The internet has made this easier. Ever notice how conservatives always need their OWN version of everything (news, radio, Facebook, search engines, schools, TV stations, etc.)?

loving weird. And very stubborn.

I think that polar/binary thinking is what separates me from most conservatives I meet and is what keeps me from understanding them. It seems inherent to their world view and way of thinking (good/bad). Speaking only for myself here of course but consumers of this trash seem to find comfort in hearing and reading about their conclusions being reinforced than they do any actual information. Leftists do this too but it doesn't seem so...I dunno...ritualistic?

See: Trump said/did this = fake news.

So now there's only real news and fake news. Plus a ton of weird "what they won't tell you/want you to know" bullshit.

Always a "they"

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 23, 2020

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If the money and resources were there, current right wing media addicts could have been convinced to believe in literally anything. They are killing themselves and destroying their livelihood at this point.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

-Xerxes, to the priests of Marduk

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VitalSigns posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1251670127944232963

Nobody is dying of covid-19 you guys, the American death rate is just inexplicably skyrocketing 10,000%, probably nothing.

No one actually dies from guns. It's blood loss and smashed brains and organs that kills them.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wrong thread.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

heh the @usahackers account has been suspended but the damage is already done, good job internet
Suspended for telling the TRUTH

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Ironic, people who believe that women should be forced to carry fetuses with terminal genetic defects to term suddenly believe we shouldn't have dead baby parts in our bodies.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

BiggerBoat posted:

So is discretion and skepticism. For all the talk about how The Media lies to you all the time, they seem perfectly willing to accept the findings of an anonymous weirdo named "Q" who posts nothing but gibberish and non credentialed You Tube weirdos going on about underground pizza parlor kid raping basements.
Out of curiosity, what even is Q at this point? I know it originally started as some 4chan posts, but it seems like it's become too big for everyone to still be following it through 4chan. Is there even a central source right now or has it just morphed into a thousand Facebook "patriot" groups?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Q is Anonymous :tinfoil:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Out of curiosity, what even is Q at this point? I know it originally started as some 4chan posts, but it seems like it's become too big for everyone to still be following it through 4chan. Is there even a central source right now or has it just morphed into a thousand Facebook "patriot" groups?
From what i understand, the original Q doesn’t post anymore, and it’s just morphed into this blob of conspiracy poo poo across the right wing sphere

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

FlamingLiberal posted:

From what i understand, the original Q doesn’t post anymore, and it’s just morphed into this blob of conspiracy poo poo across the right wing sphere

wwg1wga

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Q is whatever the Qbelievers need it to be. Whatever irrational thing they come up with becomes part of Q. It's basically a madlib conspiracy theory now.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Turns out it was Obama the whole time just having a laugh at people.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Qanon doesn't really have a central narrative anymore. It's a thousand Facebook patriot groups, but each of those groups has their own spin on what Qanon is really about. You have fundamentalist Evangelicals who think that Trump has been sent by God to arrest those nefarious Generational Satanists from back in the 80's, rubbing shoulders with anti-vaxxers who think Trump is trying his hardest to deliver the miracle cure-all hydroxychloroquine to the American people and stop the construction of 5G towers, interacting with new-agers who can't wait for Trump to finally reveal that we have allied with the Elohim to throw off the yoke of the Reptilians off of Earth.

You still have a few "alternative media" personalities pushing the "original" Q storyline - that Trump has been working behind the scenes to take down an elite pedophile network, he's been a hyper-competent superspy this whole time, and those mass arrests are going to start Any Day Now - but by this point it's just a slurry of conspiracy thought that barely has any meaning. People just glob whatever poo poo they want onto it, because it's not like anyone's going to stop them. Qanon followers like to present the movement as a large consistent block - wwg1wga and whatnot - but in reality it's a shattered mess of grifters, Facebook-addicted grandparents, and the severely mentally ill.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is Q directly descended from :q:, the banned SA user who changed all their posts to the letter Q repeated a random amount of times?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Qanon doesn't really have a central narrative anymore. It's a thousand Facebook patriot groups, but each of those groups has their own spin on what Qanon is really about. You have fundamentalist Evangelicals who think that Trump has been sent by God to arrest those nefarious Generational Satanists from back in the 80's, rubbing shoulders with anti-vaxxers who think Trump is trying his hardest to deliver the miracle cure-all hydroxychloroquine to the American people and stop the construction of 5G towers, interacting with new-agers who can't wait for Trump to finally reveal that we have allied with the Elohim to throw off the yoke of the Reptilians off of Earth.

You still have a few "alternative media" personalities pushing the "original" Q storyline - that Trump has been working behind the scenes to take down an elite pedophile network, he's been a hyper-competent superspy this whole time, and those mass arrests are going to start Any Day Now - but by this point it's just a slurry of conspiracy thought that barely has any meaning. People just glob whatever poo poo they want onto it, because it's not like anyone's going to stop them. Qanon followers like to present the movement as a large consistent block - wwg1wga and whatnot - but in reality it's a shattered mess of grifters, Facebook-addicted grandparents, and the severely mentally ill.
It was slightly more coherent when ‘Q’ was still posting, but since they stopped it’s even more of a shitshow

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
It has the feel of one of those charismatic Christian groups where anyone might suddenly start babbling in tongues or channeling prophecy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1148232059632140289

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Pretty much sums it up

Also 8chan got taken down after one of the mass shootings down in Texas and that was where Q was posting that poo poo. So it fragmented from there and now its just a bunch of background conspiracy bullshit

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

moths posted:

Is Q directly descended from :q:, the banned SA user who changed all their posts to the letter Q repeated a random amount of times?

Q is a high-level security clearance the Department of Energy uses.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the best thing about Q is it making the normal userbase on 4chan mad when they got a influx of broken brain old people discovering that 4chan was/is Q's original home, oh and these old people might outnumber them?

their own enternal september, but more stupid and it led to a one of the worst political movements in recent history.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 24, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PhazonLink posted:

one of the worst political movements in recent history.
Man, I thought they'd never top the Tea Party but....

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

moths posted:

Qanon
Kyoo-anon
Kyoo...n?

:tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

OneEightHundred posted:

Qanon
Kyoo-anon