Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Colostomy Bag posted:

So in other words, escaping Shawshank involves dealing with less poo poo than SC.

:discourse:

[Threadsnipe edit: Tane]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I have a question,the numerous (NUMEROUS) bugs and glitches that we see,if there were better communication between the (4,5?) studios and they were better managed (ie. not adding more and more problems every hour because no one knows what they’re doing) would we still be seeing all these exact same problems?
Would they even be slightly less worse?

I've been on projects like this. The kind of bugs that we're seeing in SC - mainly random jank - are caused by lack of technical leadership, lack of architectural direction, lack of ownership, and lack of vision by the developers who are doing the work. Poor communication is a big factor but it's a by product of the things that I already mentioned. No one is in charge on the floor where the sausage is made. You can bet that each studio has communication problems internally, let alone communication between studios. Teams don't talk to each other, and I'll also put money on the fact that the production staff are completely useless too, being completely hamstrung by Crobbler's bullshit.

It's not going to get better, either. It's just going to get worse, as systems are developed and slammed together in a half assed way. I can tell you with 100% certainty that a lot of these bugs are caused by multiple people implementing the same features as each other, unaware that someone else is doing the same work - and it's all done badly.

There's clearly no attempt whatsoever to make maintainable, sustainable, scalable systems. There's jank in there right now that will never get scrubbed out - it CAN'T be fixed, because the whole project is a big wobbly pile of jank built on top of jank by people who lack experience, lack leadership, and are working in a toxic environment that trickles all the way down via Crobbler's diseased secretions.

I can say this with authority because I have been here. I have felt all this pain before, and I can see the signs very very clearly.

CountDrac
Jan 19, 2006
When I think of spacegames the first thing that comes to mind is prison gameplay. Who would want to explore different star systems with your purchased space jpgs? That stuff is for weirdos and losers!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: What a Crimestat3 looks like at Klescher: 5 - 6 hours realtime (~15 min of mining). Crimestat5: ~18 hours (~40 min mining). Your time's up, pad rammers and griefers.

:( Time's up for regular pirates too, I had no crime stat and tried the Caterpillar prisonners mission, get insta kill by desync npc guards, respawn in prison : 12 hours before release.

:cop:

Quavers fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 22, 2020

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

:v: Seems quite short in my opinion. Shouldn't the time be double that? Only considering the mining time. 🤔 I think that the time served should be function of the crimes committed, and not of the CS level.

:toughguy: I'm ok with triple for griefers and pad rammers alike.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Dementropy posted:

-crappydesign
-assholedesign
-PCMR
-askouija
-watchpeopledieinside
-amitheasshole
-unpopularopinion

Shocking

Read it again, value below 1 means they are less likely to visit that subreddit than the average user.

Surprised the goth one is so far up, with no, uh, similar, subreddits around it. They really like this one thing, it seems.

Also surprised that hoggit is basically the top one. Say what you want about Eagle Dynamics (and the current beta branch performance. And F-16 development. And missile drag values) that's an actual fidelitious sim that works.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

CountDrac posted:

When I think of spacegames the first thing that comes to mind is prison gameplay. Who would want to explore different star systems with your purchased space jpgs? That stuff is for weirdos and losers!

One more thing that just baffles me about this project is "exploration". In the mind of the Citizen, it now seems to mean "planetary exploration" but hellfire, apart from a handful of hidden sites on a couple of moons where you can read a comedy post-it note or two, what is there to explore? There is literally gently caress all on 99.99% of all the land masses in Store Citizer. There isn't even a pay off for jittering across a desert, or through a snow storm, or through a mountain of slag heaps, because you know drat well before you set off that there is sod all on the other side of that hill. Or crater, or mountain range, or continent, or moon.

When I used to play this pile of crap, I tried to console myself with the thought that, you know, I might run into something interesting just once, something a wily dev had handcrafted and tucked away in a canyon wall, or round the back of a big rock, or something. But I never ever did. Was I unlucky? I don't think so.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:confused: What when you see someone steal your ship? Are you going to shoot the thief? And then get punished for that for hours?

:v: That's how it is currently. If someone runs inside your ship there isn't anything you can do

:gary:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dr. Honked posted:

I've been on projects like this. The kind of bugs that we're seeing in SC - mainly random jank - are caused by lack of technical leadership, lack of architectural direction, lack of ownership, and lack of vision by the developers who are doing the work. Poor communication is a big factor but it's a by product of the things that I already mentioned. No one is in charge on the floor where the sausage is made. You can bet that each studio has communication problems internally, let alone communication between studios. Teams don't talk to each other, and I'll also put money on the fact that the production staff are completely useless too, being completely hamstrung by Crobbler's bullshit.

It's not going to get better, either. It's just going to get worse, as systems are developed and slammed together in a half assed way. I can tell you with 100% certainty that a lot of these bugs are caused by multiple people implementing the same features as each other, unaware that someone else is doing the same work - and it's all done badly.

There's clearly no attempt whatsoever to make maintainable, sustainable, scalable systems. There's jank in there right now that will never get scrubbed out - it CAN'T be fixed, because the whole project is a big wobbly pile of jank built on top of jank by people who lack experience, lack leadership, and are working in a toxic environment that trickles all the way down via Crobbler's diseased secretions.

I can say this with authority because I have been here. I have felt all this pain before, and I can see the signs very very clearly.

Ah, but are you a CTO or artist?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

trucutru posted:

commando in tophat posted:
And we all know it will end in all NPCs constantly reloading in a loop, while standing on a chair, facing a wall, then T-posing and falling through floor. Can't wait for that gif

Educate yourself

quote:
How many clips do they carry? The same limits that players have for various armor sizes. So, reloading, knowing how much ammo is left over, will impact NPC behavior.

An NPC with full back up clips and 3 rounds facing off with a full team vs. 3 PCs will reload and keep up the fire fight.

An NPC with 1 backup clip, 4 rounds and is down to two buddies, vs. 5 PCs, isn't going to reload, immediately, he/she might fire a few rounds to suppress and then withdraw, reloading and firing as he/she withdraws to a safer place where they can turn tail and run, maybe for reinforcements, maybe for a bigger gun and or reload magazines or for a way to escape where ever they are defending.

Another NPC with 4 backup clips, down to their last round might toss their weapon aside and grab the same gun that was dropped next to them by their immediately killed comrade, because this NPC knows that "NPC Frank" didn't fire off a round. So, no reloading is needed and this NPC now has a fully loaded weapon, again.

Heck, the second NPC might immediately toss the weapon down, stick its hands up and surrender at that point.

ALL of that matters.

I love this shitshow

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jonny Shiloh posted:

One more thing that just baffles me about this project is "exploration". In the mind of the Citizen, it now seems to mean "planetary exploration" but hellfire, apart from a handful of hidden sites on a couple of moons where you can read a comedy post-it note or two, what is there to explore? There is literally gently caress all on 99.99% of all the land masses in Store Citizer. There isn't even a pay off for jittering across a desert, or through a snow storm, or through a mountain of slag heaps, because you know drat well before you set off that there is sod all on the other side of that hill. Or crater, or mountain range, or continent, or moon.

When I used to play this pile of crap, I tried to console myself with the thought that, you know, I might run into something interesting just once, something a wily dev had handcrafted and tucked away in a canyon wall, or round the back of a big rock, or something. But I never ever did. Was I unlucky? I don't think so.

When it became clear there wasn't going to be 100 systems full of interesting things to find they had to memory hole it ever was going to be like that and now focus on the one thing they can possibly explore in some way, largely empty planets with a few POIs that everyone knows about because as soon as anything is added its posted about all over spectrum/reddit. So there is actually nothing to find and explore, and there never will be, as only those who find stuff first and post about it on the forums will be those who actually are exploring. Everyone afterwards is sightseeing. These people will say this is good, while perhaps at the same time bad mouthing ED for its empty planets.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Lol, there are some loving weird ones in that reddit stat thing. Star Citizens are 24 times as likely to frequent "ex jehova's witnesses" as a regular user. Guess they know cult development when they see it.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

:reddit: What a Crimestat3 looks like at Klescher: 5 - 6 hours realtime (~15 min of mining). Crimestat5: ~18 hours (~40 min mining). Your time's up, pad rammers and griefers.

:( Time's up for regular pirates too, I had no crime stat and tried the Caterpillar prisonners mission, get insta kill by desync npc guards, respawn in prison : 12 hours before release.

Glorious.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Agony Aunt posted:

When it became clear there wasn't going to be 100 systems full of interesting things to find they had to memory hole it ever was going to be like that and now focus on the one thing they can possibly explore in some way, largely empty planets with a few POIs that everyone knows about because as soon as anything is added its posted about all over spectrum/reddit. So there is actually nothing to find and explore, and there never will be, as only those who find stuff first and post about it on the forums will be those who actually are exploring. Everyone afterwards is sightseeing. These people will say this is good, while perhaps at the same time bad mouthing ED for its empty planets.

Exploration with 100 systems is fairly laughable as well. That's like 2 hours after launch.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Glad they got this patch out in time to thwart the :pgabz: menace

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Quavers posted:

Imagine getting 6 hours punishment in a game, I used to get pissed off when I got res sickness in WoW in 2004 :lol:

cistizens, if you condone this then you may have a sever case of redit

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

do you have to be ingame for it to count down?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sandweed posted:

do you have to be ingame for it to count down?

That would be amazing

marumaru
May 20, 2013

yes it's actually in the game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
When you get a 6 hour prison sentence in the game (lol) you have to be in game for the timer to countdown, and also you have to have the CI¬G Faceware webcam pointed at you, and you HAVE to have a sad remorseful expression for the full 6 hours, any smiling will reset the timer

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

I'm starting to think Star Citizen might actually be bad

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Inacio posted:

yes it's actually in the game.
kawaii

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

hot ham water posted:

I'm starting to think Star Citizen might actually be bad

Yeah but the PIPELINES mannnnn

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lou Takki posted:

Yeah but the PIPELINES mannnnn

it is ramping up

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Agony Aunt posted:

Ah, but are you a CTO or artist?

CTO

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I have a question,the numerous (NUMEROUS) bugs and glitches that we see,if there were better communication between the (4,5?) studios and they were better managed (ie. not adding more and more problems every hour because no one knows what they’re doing) would we still be seeing all these exact same problems?
Would they even be slightly less worse?

star citizen's faults are above anything else a symptom of poor management/leadership. if it were competent with 400 million you could deliver a pretty bangin game

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

When you get a 6 hour prison sentence in the game (lol) you have to be in game for the timer to countdown, and also you have to have the CI¬G Faceware webcam pointed at you, and you HAVE to have a sad remorseful expression for the full 6 hours, any smiling will reset the timer

Do they have bail bondsman and probation officer roles yet?

teokarp
Feb 18, 2020

Quavers posted:

Unmanned turrets do not fire at the player if they have a crimestat.

You'd have to work really hard to achieve this kind of bug. One can only imagine the spaghetti behind that.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Colostomy Bag posted:

They are making the tools to make those pipelines yo

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Quavers posted:

Since the game will just randomly slap you with a crime-stat for no reason, hopefully prisons will discourage almost all player activities, and citizens can go back to playing the game as it was intended; which is aimlessly no-clipping around in your $1000 nerd chariot and posting screenshots to Reddit with captions about the fun space adventure you’re imagining in your head.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Colostomy Bag posted:

The inevitable consequences of corrupt probation officers.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Agony Aunt posted:

I never thought about it that way, but you're right. It's a Catch-22. On the one hand, they want a game full of endless surprises and mysteries for eager players to explore. On the other hand, they need to make every minor addition front-page news in order to convince everyone that development is progressing.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Quavers posted:

this blows, bugs can make you get crimestats. it's absurd that they think this is a good idea

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Inacio posted:

this blows, bugs can make you get crimestats. it's absurd that they think this is a good idea

You get crime stats for literally no reason all the time in game, it's going to be a real high quality car crash this, I used to get crime stats for gently caress all all the time.
Then, go on a ramming spree and get nothing, it's classic CI¬G but now 6 hours of your time is at stake ha ha

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dr. Honked posted:

[quote="Dr. Honked" post="504300815"]

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:reddit: posted:

Am I the only one finding this a concerning evolution?

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs/uk/monetisation-designer-wilmslow

Partner with the design team in order to help deliver monetization and retention best practices
Always be on the lookout for new monetization strategies
Competitively analyse other Games as Service in order to stay at the forefront of this market
Able to break down complex gameplay systems in order to maximise their monetization capability without impacting the player experience

lol that had to literally have been a goon literally trying to spread FUD
not very sneaky lad

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Quavers posted:

Holy poo poo lmao. When they first started talking about mandatory prison sentences I remember people speculating on 20 minute sentences and laughing because even that would kill the game. loving 18 hours are you kidding me? Forty minutes of hand-mining rocks in a cave? Honestly I don't even have words for how funny this is, it's loving wild.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Beet Wagon posted:

Holy poo poo lmao. When they first started talking about mandatory prison sentences I remember people speculating on 20 minute sentences and laughing because even that would kill the game. loving 18 hours are you kidding me? Forty minutes of hand-mining rocks in a cave? Honestly I don't even have words for how funny this is, it's loving wild.

You obviously do not understand AAAA+ gameplay.
This is gaming of the future.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Inacio posted:

If they wanted some kinda crime/punishment system ok fine, whatever. It's a dumb waste of people's time but if it's mostly just a credit sync or whatever then sure.

Problem is SC is so broken and missing so many huge features that this is just a hindrance to people actually testing what you should be developing (piracy, gunplay, smuggling). "Prison gameplay" should pretty much be the last thing you implement on this project. But it's CIG so they'll go for whatever low hanging fruit they can find and put off doing any substantive work that's anything beyond developing environmental/ship assests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

peter gabriel posted:

You get crime stats for literally no reason all the time in game, it's going to be a real high quality car crash this, I used to get crime stats for gently caress all all the time.
Then, go on a ramming spree and get nothing, it's classic CI¬G but now 6 hours of your time is at stake ha ha

Look, CIG have gone to the effort of adding a gameplay loop! You should be drat well happy to get a random crimestat for no reason at all just to experience the new gameplay in all its glory!