Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Fellow new players, make sure to take advantage of the macrocosmic orb campaign this month, the bonus rewards are bonkers. I did maybe 6 (not counting a few wipes) on normal difficulty and got enough rem's tales 1-5 to reforge all 3 of my class armor sets, plus a bunch of random crafting and upgrade materials, some of which turned out to be very valuable. I'll probably get 4-5 million gil by the time I'm done selling stuff, which for me is a shitload.

I soloed them all on RDM/SCH by pulling with an aoe sleep, silencing any casters before waking them up, and then just single targeting them down one by one with trusts. My wipes were from 1) a tonberry using Everyone's Grudge and 1 shotting my whole party, 2) the orcs in the 6-orc fight waking up while I was inbetween mobs so my trusts just stood there while everything punched me to death and 3) not landing silence before waking up the antican BLM, and he silenced me and sleepga'd my party.

If you need more sacred kindred's crests, you can exchange other crests for them at a discounted 2:1 rate at the NPC next to the orb guy, or you can buy them for 10 login points each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Wytes and I are going to start on Mythic weapons soon, once we finish his Apademaks (ideally tonight). We're going to go through pre-reqs and then do some of the actual point farming etc. I wanted to make an open invitation to anyone who wants to come. We won't necessarily be doing ALL of the stuff as a group, but at the very least I'd like to get some people who need the KIs and clears to come do some of this stuff.

First, pre-reqs:

Captain Rank in ToAU, needs you to clear ALL the missions at least once and finish ToAU.
Nyzul Island 1-100 clear. If you've never done it, this is plays out like a prototype of PotD or HoH in FFXIV. It's easy enough, but would want a group for coordinating certain floors.

Again, I'd prefer to take along players who need these clears for the first time. Afterward, Nyzul point farming with 96-100 runs is whatever with anyone.

The Chariots, Odin and Beastmen Champions are all reasonable to do on one's own time. I think Beastmen Champs basically are a matter of waiting on Besieged?

Second, the repeatable junk you need to do every time:

Assault Memories - This is a repeat of the 50 assaults except you can just All Seeing Eye them because gently caress off SE.
Alexandrite - Do this on your own time, there's a decent guide here. Or buy the Alex, nobody will judge you.
Einherjar - Group is nice so you don't fail the timer. Can do this once an hour, and it's 3600 points a clear once you have access to the highest tier chamber, so about 28 runs total. Coordinating play times could suck though.
Nyzul Points - Group of 3+. I think we've got people with mules that can pay the point tax for entering floor 96-100.
ZNMs - I don't know poo poo about these.

If you're interested just reply here or say something in discord. I've got some interest for the captain rank and 1-100 clear already but I think there's still plenty of space. Again, would prefer newbies for the first time clear just to get people clears who need them.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'd definitely be interested, if only because I haven't done any if that poo poo yet. I still need to beat ToAU story so don't think I can start the mythic quest proper, but fairly sure I can participate in the pre-reqs until I do?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'd definitely be interested, if only because I haven't done any if that poo poo yet. I still need to beat ToAU story so don't think I can start the mythic quest proper, but fairly sure I can participate in the pre-reqs until I do?

You sure can!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tsurupettan posted:

You sure can!

Sweet! In-game I'm Cassiani, gearing up a rdm if that matters much. Not sure if Murgleis is worth the effort, but it'll be worth it to get all the pre-reqs done at least!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I will join Einherjar runs if I'm available.

Also, I did some ZNMs yesterday in trying to get a Tyger spawn for a BLU friend of mine (Tourbillion refuses to activate in Salvage), and trusts and 119 armor trivialize tiers 1-3; can't imagine tier 4 will be much harder.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I'm considering playing this, the appeal of using Trusts to do progression and have a chill time sounds like a very good way to revisit a game I barely scratched the surface of. One question first though: is it absolutely worth retrieving an old PlayOnline account if you had one? I ask because my original XI account was created back around launch but I never got beyond 20s on any job. Is there any kind of, returner bonus for an oldschool account coming back? If there isn't really any big QoL reward out of it, I'd probably just create a trial account instead. I definitely don't expect to play the character on that account / couldn't even tell you its name so retrieval might be next to impossible anyway.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
I ended up making a new account because even though I remembered my POL ID I couldn't remember my password and didn't want to call support to work it out. I was a bit further than you (had maybe 1 job around level 70), but you'll quickly blow past where you were. I don't know whether there's an incentive for old players to return, but if you make a new account you can get someone to give you a gold world pass thingy that gets you some nice bonus items (I didn't do this either).

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah that makes sense. Was mostly just curious if I'd be missing out on some obnoxious +exp or movement speed equipment that was definitely worth effort of sitting on hold.

Gonna get myself set up to start the trial probably this weekend.. leaning into RDM or WAR or WHM. I most recently played Nasomi a few years back and dual boxed a war/thf and WHM up to the 30s, so I have some idea of what i'm signing up for. RDM with a sub WHM just seems the better solo option it sounds like from the thread, and would probably be a better experience than punching crabs with an axe forever.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

I'm considering playing this, the appeal of using Trusts to do progression and have a chill time sounds like a very good way to revisit a game I barely scratched the surface of. One question first though: is it absolutely worth retrieving an old PlayOnline account if you had one? I ask because my original XI account was created back around launch but I never got beyond 20s on any job. Is there any kind of, returner bonus for an oldschool account coming back? If there isn't really any big QoL reward out of it, I'd probably just create a trial account instead. I definitely don't expect to play the character on that account / couldn't even tell you its name so retrieval might be next to impossible anyway.

Don't think there's a reason to bother finding your old account. I can make a world pass for you for Asura for some bonus exp goodies if you'd like. We've also got a discord with a bunch of people in there that can offer you advice and help. I can throw you 1m gil to get you through the early parts too.

https://discord.gg/bFfBs7B

Into the Ocean
May 13, 2010

It's the best going through the customer support though. I'd recommend it in this quarantine. You have all the time in the world to waste!

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Tsurupettan posted:

The Chariots, Odin and Beastmen Champions are all reasonable to do on one's own time. I think Beastmen Champs basically are a matter of waiting on Besieged?

If my memory of ancient content is right (and they haven't changed anything since release) the Beastmen Generals are almost always up, locked behind some doors in their respective strongholds. The only time they're not around is if they're stuck in or running to Besieged, or if someone else had killed them recently.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Yeah BG wiki lied and said 20+ hour repop when it's apparently an hour

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/56747p=626693&viewfull=1#post626693

May campaigns, some good poo poo in here.

Brass
Oct 30, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

I would recommend starting a new account, you will be able to catch up quickly and you are not missing anything by doing so. No bonuses or QoL rewards for oldschool accounts. And actually, I would think fresh characters could squeeze out more of the newer content than older, higher level characters.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

onesixtwo posted:

S-E is more terrible then the game itself.

It'll be on sale for $9 this month. Just start new.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
If the last time you played was early in the game’s life, then your character doesn’t exist anymore. They used to delete them after a certain amount of inactivity.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

he already made a new char 2 weeks ago and has been playing & posting on our discord asking for advice.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Don’t mind me, just a dirty little Sewer Syrup.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Tsurupettan posted:

he already made a new char 2 weeks ago and has been playing & posting on our discord asking for advice.

Did indeed, thanks for the answers all the same everyone! Up to level 60, just finished collecting my last AF pieces and going through LBs here and there. The sheer number of plotlines the game has thrown at me is hilarious though.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Shows how out of the loop I am for just being a botter

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
DRG has the best questlines. :3:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/campaign/login/login83.html

shantotto 2 is back.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Someone posted this in the thread a while back, but I just wanted to plug it again: https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/129943-Direct3D8-to-Direct3D9-Proxy-Performance-Helper-(For-FFXI). This might give you a big performance boost if you have Windows 10 and/or a laptop with two graphics cards.

I realized I had really crappy FPS and started trying to debug it, and found that FFXI is rendering on my laptop's integrated graphics card instead of the dedicated one, no matter what I try. I still can't get it to run on the dedicated one, but at least installing that fix doubled my FPS in Mhaura at least (from 10 to 20 :negative:).

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Edly posted:

Someone posted this in the thread a while back, but I just wanted to plug it again: https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/129943-Direct3D8-to-Direct3D9-Proxy-Performance-Helper-(For-FFXI). This might give you a big performance boost if you have Windows 10 and/or a laptop with two graphics cards.

I realized I had really crappy FPS and started trying to debug it, and found that FFXI is rendering on my laptop's integrated graphics card instead of the dedicated one, no matter what I try. I still can't get it to run on the dedicated one, but at least installing that fix doubled my FPS in Mhaura at least (from 10 to 20 :negative:).

disable the integrated GPU in your bios and xi will run on the dedicated with a massive performance boost.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
Sadly, that doesn't seem to be an option. I just looked in the BIOS and I only have 2 options - switchable graphics, or integrated only. I'll mess around some more with the d8 to d9 ini settings later. The performance boost from the d8 to d9 fix was noticeably huge already though, I'm up to 60 fps in some places.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Edly posted:

Sadly, that doesn't seem to be an option. I just looked in the BIOS and I only have 2 options - switchable graphics, or integrated only. I'll mess around some more with the d8 to d9 ini settings later. The performance boost from the d8 to d9 fix was noticeably huge already though, I'm up to 60 fps in some places.

What model laptop are you using?

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

frodnonnag posted:

What model laptop are you using?

Lenovo y50.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Some new screenshots of XI Mobile leaked, and they actually look pretty good.

https://twitter.com/Finaland_/status/1258137576659128320

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Kazy posted:

Some new screenshots of XI Mobile leaked, and they actually look pretty good.

https://twitter.com/Finaland_/status/1258137576659128320

these are real but are believed to be less of in-game screenshots and more of an artist's rendition over the original material as a mock-up of what it SHOULD look like.

regardless, nexon is slamming sites with take-down notices and getting these pulled and swept under the rug as hard as they can so it's definitely A Thing.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

Edly posted:

I found a solution to this - there's another directx wrapper called dgVoodoo that upgrades dx8 all the way to dx11, and now ffxi runs on my actual graphics card. I guess my card didn't support dx9.

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!

Edly posted:

I found a solution to this - there's another directx wrapper called dgVoodoo that upgrades dx8 all the way to dx11, and now ffxi runs on my actual graphics card. I guess my card didn't support dx9.

I did this too and it made the font in any chat or confirmation windows super pixely. I messed with the dgVoodoo.conf file as well to no avail.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

FetalDave posted:

I did this too and it made the font in any chat or confirmation windows super pixely. I messed with the dgVoodoo.conf file as well to no avail.

That's where I'm at too, I'm sad to hear you weren't able to fix it because messing with the .conf file was going to be the next thing I tried.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Did you try the proxy the Ashita guy made? Worked better for me (and it does work fine with Windower)

Edly
Jun 1, 2007

FetalDave posted:

In the Final Fantasy XI Config app I bumped the font quality slider down to the middle notch and that seems to have fixed this for me.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Do you think we'll ever get a classic server for this game? We didn't even get the vanilla version on release, correct?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
God no

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Devs have said they don't have any snapshots, and there would be a huge debate what "classic" even means.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

did they ever talk about a switch port

would that even work? I played this on a gpd win for awhile but good lord did that thing get hot after awhile. I assume the switch has better hardware but I also don't know what the wifi quality is like on the switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kazy posted:

Devs have said they don't have any snapshots, and there would be a huge debate what "classic" even means.

Vanilla would be an okay place to stop, narratively speaking. Mechanically getting 75 was/is a motherfucker, and you’d never see the same “what now” poo poo that WoW classic players have today. Plus the Dark Lord is actually still a pretty difficult boss, even if you’re not going in blind.

But hopefully, if there is a God, this would never happen. People should just play retail. You do all the same poo poo and it’s still slow but instead of 10 hours of grinding to level up after 3 hours of organizing a group, it’s like 30 minutes total with trusts. Instead of having to hoof it back and forth from the Dunes, you can just use the fast travel system which still requires you to dodge enemies and run out there at least once. Instead of having to kneel down and rest for MP for 5 minutes you can just have refresh on for an hour and rest a little bit here and there. You’ll still die, you’ll still get chased by goblins that kill you in 3 hits and make you delecel, etc. and you’ll still waste a lot of time just not NEARLY as much time.

It’s also, somehow, fun! I have never played FFXI endgame so I have no idea what that’s about.