Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Polo-Rican posted:

looks like someone doesn't live in a city with an Alamo Drafthouse

I was really fuckin sick of theaters before Alamo opened up. It's everything you want in a theater! Amazing picture and sound, great seats, huge-rear end beer list, and extremely strict no-cell-phone rules.

I’ve dealt with obnoxious drunk assholes in movie theaters too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

sanction us you cowardly fucks

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If I were China I would be preparing for a defensive war with the US within the next 8 years.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

the Missouri suit may be the first suit by a governmental entity but it's not the first suit. i saw one filed in federal court in Louisiana last week by some private businesses

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
Fundamentally, the difficulty always was the return to normalcy without the proper resources.

Capital has a lot of magical thinking brought on by its notorious recent turn towards short term thinking. There's likely giant consulting agencies pumping out risk assessment scenarios that say even if the number spikes again, allowing things to jump helps the bottom line or w/e.

Our system is just so completely incapable of dealing with a challenge like this. We're going to open back up, and by the end of May it could and probably will be worse than right now.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

you ever just sue China

the whole thing

the entire China

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Polo-Rican posted:

looks like someone doesn't live in a city with an Alamo Drafthouse

I was really fuckin sick of theaters before Alamo opened up. It's everything you want in a theater! Amazing picture and sound, great seats, huge-rear end beer list, and extremely strict no-cell-phone rules.

what about good movies that aren't just 2 hours of cg poo poo on the screen?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 37 hours!

Schnorkles posted:

Fundamentally, the difficulty always was the return to normalcy without the proper resources.

Capital has a lot of magical thinking brought on by its notorious recent turn towards short term thinking. There's likely giant consulting agencies pumping out risk assessment scenarios that say even if the number spikes again, allowing things to jump helps the bottom line or w/e.

Our system is just so completely incapable of dealing with a challenge like this. We're going to open back up, and by the end of May it could and probably will be worse than right now.

Gives me a lot of hope for our ability to deal with global warming!

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1252973642692079616?s=20

quote:

The first previously known death in the US was in Seattle on 26 February and the first in California on 4 March.

New information from a Santa Clara county coroner changes that timeline.

Autopsies on two people who died on 6 February and 17 February show they died with Covid-19.

Samples from the autopsies were sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which confirmed the presence of the virus, California's Santa Clara County coroner's office said in a statement on Tuesday.

The death of a third Santa Clara individual on 6 March has also been confirmed to be coronavirus-related.

"These three individuals died at home during a time when very limited testing was available only through the CDC," the coroner statement said.

At the time, the CDC's criteria restricted testing only to people with a known travel history and who were showing specific symptoms.

If they didn't meet the travel criteria, wouldn't that mean that they were cases of community spread, and that other people had it even earlier, who then passed it on to them?

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Doc Fission posted:

you ever just sue China

the whole thing

the entire China

yeah lol

always cracks me up to see a 4th or 5th year lawyer on these things lmao

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Phi230 posted:

If I were China I would be preparing for a defensive war with the US within the next 8 years.

Why

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

everyone is hurting, the republican arm of the government cannot deal with crisis management (they are the crisis), and the actions taken on by private capital are going to make things worse.

idk what this summer looks like, but its probably pretty grim

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1252973642692079616?s=20

If they didn't meet the travel criteria, wouldn't that mean that they were cases of community spread, and that other people had it even earlier, who then passed it on to them?

sounds like it's not as deadly as everyone thought then, OPEN 'ER UP!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The_Franz posted:

lol do you know anything about alamo

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
it's easier to sue foreign government than it is to sue the us government and the president lmao

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Bearjew posted:

yeah lol

always cracks me up to see a 4th or 5th year lawyer on these things lmao

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

facetoucher cat posted:

:same:

I have outside clothes and inside clothes, the stuff I wear when I'm out in public isn't what I'm going to wear when I'm hanging out inside. This isn't more a style thing because lmao IDGAF what people think of what I'm wearing, it's more of a sanitary thing now. Same with shoes, no one is allowed to wear shoes past the foyer area of the 4ft of tiles by my front door and they immediately go into the closet, if you want to wear shoes put on some house slippers

Quiet Feet posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one this paranoid.

Yay, anxiety-buds. :unsmith:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
there’s like two glaring typos in the versus part

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

just wanna yell and throw something atm

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Films rule and theaters better not go under :negative:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Schnorkles posted:

idk what this summer looks like, but its probably pretty

:peanut:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:sadpeanut:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

tryin to keep the faith squizzle but its a struggle right now

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

The_Franz posted:

2019 whipped rear end for movies. I can remember every frame from Parasite, Uncut Gems, and The Lighthouse

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/22/french-study-suggests-smokers-at-lower-risk-of-getting-coronavirus?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

quote:

The Guardian:

French researchers to test nicotine patches on coronavirus patients

Study – which stresses serious health risks of smoking – suggest substance in tobacco may lower risk of getting coronavirus

French researchers are planning to test nicotine patches on coronavirus patients and frontline health workers after a study suggested smokers may be much less at risk of contracting the virus.

The study at a major Paris hospital suggests a substance in tobacco – possibly nicotine – may be stopping patients who smoke from catching Covid-19. Clinical trials of nicotine patches are awaiting the approval of the country’s health authorities.

However, the researchers insisted they were not encouraging the population to take up smoking, which carries other potentially fatal health risks and kills 50% of those who take it up. While nicotine may protect those from the virus, smokers who have caught it often develop more serious symptoms because of the toxic effect of tobacco smoke on the lungs, they say.

The team at Pitié-Salpêtrière hospital questioned 480 patients who tested positive for the virus, 350 of whom were hospitalised while the rest with less serious symptoms were allowed home.

It found that of those admitted to hospital, whose median age was 65, only 4.4% were regular smokers. Among those released home, with a median age of 44, 5.3% smoked.

Taking into account the age and sex of the patients, the researchers discovered the number of smokers was much lower than that in the general population estimated by the French health authority Santé Publique France at about 40% for those aged 44-53 and between 8.8% and 11.3% for those aged 65-75.

The renowned French neurobiologist Jean-Pierre Changeux, who reviewed the study, suggested the nicotine might stop the virus from reaching cells in the body preventing its spread. Nicotine may also lessen the overreaction of the body’s immune system that has been found in the most severe cases of Covid-19 infection.

The findings are to be verified in a clinical study in which frontline health workers, hospital patients with the Covid-19 virus and those in intensive care will be given nicotine patches.

The results confirm a Chinese study published at the end of March in the New England Journal of Medicine that suggested only 12.6% of 1,000 people infected with the virus were smokers while the number of smokers in China is around 28%.

In France, figures from Paris hospitals showed that of 11,000 patients admitted to hospital with Covid-19, 8.5% were smokers. The total number of smokers in France is estimated at around 25.4%.

“Our cross-sectional study strongly suggests that those who smoke every day are much less likely to develop a symptomatic or severe infection with Sars-CoV-2 compared with the general population,” the Pitié-Salpêtrière report authors wrote.

“The effect is significant. It divides the risk by five for ambulatory patients and by four for those admitted to hospital. We rarely see this in medicine,” it added.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Schnorkles posted:

tryin to keep the faith squizzle but its a struggle right now

I comfort myself with the idea that it might reach up and get one of the big bastards.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

China should ask for Kansas City as their attorneys' fee.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

Films rule and theaters better not go under :negative:

Theaters are just places to overcharge for soda, popcorn and pizza and win lovely plastic prizes playing skeeball.

Movies should be streamed to the home and the US should upgrade the nation's broadband infrastructure along with it. If being able to watch new movies is the thing that entices investment in broadband coverage so be it

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

i got my sprintin shoes on, president trump sir.

im standing at my front door.

open the economy! i want to work!!!

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

twoday posted:

lol yeah

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Phi230 posted:

they've been preparing for that for decades, lol. like, since the korean war

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

if you think about it, the adults you can wish gruesome ronadeath upon individually, and the adults you can make threatening statements about, are almost perfectly complementary sets

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

twoday posted:

Yeah or they brought it back from Europe, or they caught it in a transit airport somewhere.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/GeorgiaEMA/status/1252949890877067264

e: the catch is that it's not simple

Sep 2, 2011
feeling more and more hopeless about this thing the longer it drags on, and the longer it drags on, the longer it looks like it is going to drag on, with stupid rear end decisions like opening back up and people going out protesting for their right to be vectors lengthening the curve

i'd hoped to do things and travel mid-next year, don't think it's going to happen now

feels like efforts to put off getting this thing are prolonging the inevitable, and it's hard not to feel utterly powerless because of that

i'm very tired despite doing my best to distract myself and indulge in what few creature comforts i have, i hope for my sanity this doesn't last as long as it seems like it will, but i have no reason to think it won't at this point. i guess i'm just hoping i'm dumb and wrong and will be pleasantly surprised but this poo poo sucks

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Translation: Don't get tested, gently caress off.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

those are so simple, wow!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Next French to investigate if banging a mistress will increase the odds of surviving CV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

do i pick either the sudokus or the rubiks cube, or do i have to solve both before the timer runs out??